Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Home ownership a dealbreaker?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 five-marie
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Home ownership a dealbreaker?Page 3 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Did they not just legalize assisted dying in Canada? I'm so excited about this. Dying in agony or without my mind scares me to death. Glad/hoping this is now an option.
My girlfriend worked in an old age home. It used to anger her when children insisted doctors do anything to keep their parents alive, even when they were in pain and there was no hope.
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 52
Home ownership a dealbreaker?
Posted: 10/19/2015 5:51:16 PM
When I finished school, my student loan debt was enough to buy a (very) modest home (at the time). I would still choose the education, personally. Also, I would never buy a home by myself because I wouldn't know how to maintain anything and would have to hire help for every little thing that went wrong, which I'm thinking would get really expensive. I couldn't care less if someone I was in a relationship owned or rented - I can't really think how this could impact me in any way?
 Strawberry_Jello
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2015 6:00:24 PM
Whatsamatter, you can look up any household maintenance thing online. There are discussion boards about home maintenance. And you can look up how to do stuff on YouTube.

Around here, rents are higher than mortgage payments for most people.

I got my house by working and paying for it.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 54
Posted: 10/19/2015 6:09:54 PM

Posted by Strawberry_Jello:
"Whatsamatter, you can look up any household maintenance thing online."

Whether one owns, rents, lives with roommates, or whatever...know your limits.
Messing with HVAC / plumbing / electrical because one "learned via YouTube" is a recipe for disaster.
There are plenty of times where it makes sense to obtain the help of a trained professional.
 sealady111
Msg: 55
Posted: 10/19/2015 6:10:57 PM
^^^ Or you can hire a handyman/person to do the home maintenance for you.
Create more employment.
And absolutely hire a proper qualified person for certain jobs.

BBEisBack
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2015 6:14:46 PM
As for Room Mates, rent prices are horrible around here. Some newer 2 bedroom Condo/Apts now have 2 Master Bedrooms. They're setup for People who share them to afford the Rent... Around here a 2 BR Apt Rents for $2k to $3.5k a month...
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 57
Posted: 10/19/2015 6:24:10 PM

I've known homeowners with 2nd and 3rd mortgages who are upside down and deeply in debt elsewhere. I've known renters who could buy and sell me 10 times over.

it takes a lot more digging past the ownership issue to get to the real answer.

Exactly.

But according to the formula of the women in the opening post, a guy who just sold his house 2 months ago for a $500, 000.00 profit and is now temporarily living in a studio apt. until he decides where he wants to move to permanently, would get no consideration right off the bat ("doesn't have his own home-NOPE"), whereas a guy who is so far underwater in "his own home" he may never see daylight again, would get instant consideration.

Boggles the mind.

"So, do rent or own your own home?"
"I rent....."
click
"....because I just sold my own home for 500K profit and I'm not sure where I want to move to yet."
"Guess she didn't hear that last part."
 marysunshine02
Msg: 58
Posted: 10/19/2015 6:37:15 PM

^^^ Or you can hire a handyman/person to do the home maintenance for you.
Create more employment.
And absolutely hire a proper qualified person for certain jobs.

Or sell and invest your money. I've mowed lawns, planted trees and gardens, shovelled snow, painted, remodelled, fixed plumbing and electrical, hired tradesman, paid property taxes, repaired concrete driveways and on and on and I am tired of it. This will be the only home I've actually made money on since my first home in 1978. I've paid mortgage rates from 3.5 % to 21%. My brother has never owned a home, had a huge student loan debt after 7 years in university, always paid rent and has a hell of a lot more money in the bank and in investments than I do with the majority of those years with two incomes. I'm selling and I'm going to rent and if someone is going to judge me on that, they can kiss my butt. I will continue to pay my own way just like I have since I left high school. And I'm not about to ask a date what his finances are like, do you rent or own, do you own a yacht, what kind of car do you drive, can you still get it up, can I see your list of mutual funds, what's your debt load...somewhere between the main course and dessert on date 2.

Wasn't there a thread about men being intimidated by women that own stuff?
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 59
Posted: 10/19/2015 7:48:51 PM
"a guy who just sold his house 2 months ago for a $500, 000.00 profit and is now temporarily living in a studio apt. until he decides where he wants to move to permanently, would get no consideration right off the bat ("doesn't have his own home-NOPE"), whereas a guy who is so far underwater in "his own home" he may never see daylight again, would get instant consideration."

No, that's not how it works, and you know it. You just have to try to slam women one way or another, regardless of how weak your ammo is.

Here's a shocker: Grown women know the difference between someone who has recently sold and is going to be moving into a new home..as opposed to a guy wallowing in debt and looking at foreclosure looming.

I know it's hard to sink into your brick-like head, but we *are* capable of discerning the difference. Yeah, I know. Hard to imagine, isn't it. Really hard to not see women as the simpleton, brain dead cattle you'd prefer them to be, to justify your anger towards them.

Ah well. Anyway. So yeah. Big difference between the two. I'd lean more for the apartment guy than Mr. Slowly Sinking.

Which essentially blows your theory out of the air like a clay pigeon. It was an easy shot-did it with my eyes closed.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 60
Posted: 10/19/2015 8:02:41 PM

"a guy who just sold his house 2 months ago for a $500, 000.00 profit and is now temporarily living in a studio apt. until he decides where he wants to move to permanently, would get no consideration right off the bat ("doesn't have his own home-NOPE"), whereas a guy who is so far underwater in "his own home" he may never see daylight again, would get instant consideration."

No, that's not how it works, and you know it. You just have to try to slam women one way or another, regardless of how weak your ammo is.

Here's a shocker: Grown women know the difference between someone who has recently sold and is going to be moving into a new home..as opposed to a guy wallowing in debt and looking at foreclosure looming.

I know it's hard to sink into your brick-like head, but we *are* capable of discerning the difference. Yeah, I know. Hard to imagine, isn't it. Really hard to not see women as the simpleton, brain dead cattle you'd prefer them to be, to justify your anger towards them.

Ah well. Anyway. So yeah. Big difference between the two. I'd lean more for the apartment guy than Mr. Slowly Sinking.

Which essentially blows your theory out of the air like a clay pigeon. It was an easy shot-did it with my eyes closed.

Did you even READ the opening post?:

All of the single ladies own their own home or have it nearly paid off (by their own money earned from working) and said that they would not get involved with a man unless he owned his own home, had a good job and reasonable retirement savings.

Comments like "He doesn't even have his own home. Nope!!!"
Ages of the ladies ranged from 50 - 60.

Nothing there about seeking out further information.

Are personal attacks your only ammo?

I could use plenty on you based on plenty of your previous posts.
So grow up.
 marysunshine02
Msg: 61
Posted: 10/19/2015 8:13:59 PM
I know a guy who sold his 2 apartment complexes 4 years ago and he bought a 20 year old motorhome and is doing some traveling around the US and Canada. His home base is an RV park in Calgary. His few million is working for him, he doesn't require much, just a good hookup for water and electricity, wifi and a library. I'm sure he would be ignored if he was on here. Nice enough guy, attractive, intelligent, good sense of humour and just likes to move around. It's going to take more than a few dinners out and sex to get his net worth out of him. Sometimes the guy with the Mercedes has a leased car and a whole lot of pretend and the low maintenance guy has far more.

And how would you know if a guy just sold his home and has a whack of cash in the bank vs. a renter wallowing in debt?
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 62
Posted: 10/19/2015 9:55:38 PM

I went out to lunch with some ladies today and the topic of home ownership came up. We were discussing 'deal breakers' and the importance of finding out the important things....."all of the single ladies own their own home or have it nearly paid off (by their own money earned from working) and said that they would not get involved with a man unless he owned his own home, had a good job and reasonable retirement savings. Comments like "He doesn't even have his own home. Nope!!!"

So, let's say these women meet nice men, there is great chemistry, attraction, rapport, and they are having so much fun together. Would they pass on these men because they don't own a home and prefer to rent?

All of the single ladies......ages of the ladies ranged from 50 - 60

The key word here is "single". Do these ladies want to end up like the Golden Girls, four older women sharing a home?

From Seinfeld:

- ELAINE: "So what you are saying is that 90 to 95% of the population is undatable?"

- JERRY: "Undatable!"

- ELAINE: "Then how are all these people getting together?"

- JERRY: "Alcohol."
 PassionateSunnyGal
Msg: 63
Posted: 10/19/2015 10:32:28 PM
I have yet to have any man who had money or who considered themselves to be VERY successful--not immediately inform me of how awesome they think they are, most include it in their elevator pitch..."Hi, Im John! I own a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath condo on a golf course. Would you like to meet for drinks?"

I write back, "Hey John, Great to meet you! I'm a broke-ass **** so I don't think Im who you are looking for!"
 sealady111
Msg: 64
Posted: 10/19/2015 10:34:46 PM
The chances of the group of ladies of the initial post remaining single is very high.
I do sometimes think of the Golden Girls. But doubt that will happen.
They will continue to live solo.

They date. Go out. Have lovers.
Some of the ladies do not mind dating married men from the start.
Others find out he is married later and still do not mind.
Finding charming and handsome married men for a fling is very easy.
For one, her married lover is wealthy and pays for lots of things.
A couple of hundred thousand worth I think to date.
He lives with his wife interstate and visits her on business trips.
They go away on holidays. He has met her family, friends and children.
Another has not had to open her purse for a date for years.
I wonder if their wives know where the money and their husbands are going?

Some women insist that he be properly single with no dependent kids. (Yep me. The stupid one.)
The only money he needs is to pay for his half of the meal or movie ticket.
And I even pay the whole lot sometimes.
Exactly the same as going out with a female friend.

I doubt any of us will marry again.
But who knows.
Maybe. If the right man arrives and we do not have to pay his debts or support him.
I doubt if any of us would have joint finances again.
We certainly will not ever loan a man money that we expect to be returned.
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 65
Posted: 10/20/2015 4:13:55 AM

Some of the ladies do not mind dating married men from the start. Others find out he is married later and still do not mind. Finding charming and handsome married men for a fling is very easy. For one, her married lover is wealthy and pays for lots of things. A couple of hundred thousand worth I think to date. Another has not had to open her purse for a date for years.

Thank you for adding this to the story. It does explains a lot, and gives a clear picture of the kind of "ladies" they are.
 Strawberry_Jello
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2015 5:21:01 AM
As with most things, there is a middle ground. Some things you hire out, some things you do it yourself. Most homeowners know you would go broke quick hiring everything out.

Whether one owns, rents, lives with roommates, or whatever...know your limits.
Messing with HVAC / plumbing / electrical because one "learned via YouTube" is a recipe for disaster.
There are plenty of times where it makes sense to obtain the help of a trained professional.
 marysunshine02
Msg: 67
Posted: 10/20/2015 5:37:35 AM

Thank you for adding this to the story. It does explains a lot, and gives a clear picture of the kind of "ladies" they are.

And

All the single ladies own Thor own home or have it paid off (by their own money earned from working)....

Lol. Seems the ladies are getting men to contribute one way or another. And it seems the "ladies" don't mind banging married men, nice. Why would they do that to another woman? Good to see the oldest profession is still alive and well even in the over 50 crowd.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 68
Posted: 10/20/2015 5:43:47 AM
since I am on the fence re selling I like this thread.
My home is fairly new so what I cannot do , or what is too costly for me to attempt I have people - often less expensive than me going and buying things and buggering about. I pay cash - I get great service :)
If I buy a condo, well then there are condo fees, if I rent I think that will make me anxious.
Basically I just need to win the lottery.
Sunnydays - I know, I never know what to say when someone starts boasting about what they own - my stock answer OLD and RT is " oh"
btw as some mentioned it I have long be a supporter of the right to die with dignity. If you have Qs you can message me, there is an excellent book my friend wrote on the subject
Sorry, this post was kinda a dogs breakfast
 Olivoil
Msg: 69
Posted: 10/20/2015 6:30:28 AM
Wow. I don't want to come across as nasty or judgmental, but women with such low principles would not qualify to become friends of mine.
Any more than a man who lived selfishly and without regard for others' lives and relationships.
I imagine there is a lot to chat about with friends like that, and they are probably 'interesting', but frankly I'd rather be with a group that gossips about Proctor and Gamble purchasing Burt's Bees...
 Maleman999
Msg: 70
Posted: 10/20/2015 6:30:49 AM
Some people are after a LTR, possibly marriage, but have no desire to ever live together with their partner, and want to maintain a live-apart-but together relationship, with each having and living in their own home. Other people feel that living together with their partner is the only proper route if you feel you found The One. For those people who who feel living together is the proper route with a "forever" partner, and each own their own home, who moves into whose house? Or do you both sell your houses and get one together, so that it's more of an "our" house feel, rather than a boarding type of situation where one person is the house owner and the other person is like a tenant in the house?
 Olivoil
Msg: 71
Posted: 10/20/2015 6:40:10 AM
I have been renting an apartment in a super cute character building, for a year.
I have owned many homes in my lifetime, on my own and when married and cohabiting, and thought I 'had' to own.

Being a renter is carefree, and I can live in a beautiful urban area I could never afford to live in owning.

I have also parked my Jeep, in favor or cycling to and from. I realized I had become literally a 'fat cat', driving five minutes here, 1o minutes there, and then have to find and pay for parking. There is a lot to be said for simplifying life.

As for dating, there are a lot of like minded people where I live, it's a lifestyle choice, not always a sign of someone being 'poor'.
 call_me_tater
Msg: 72
Posted: 10/20/2015 7:33:22 AM

For those people who who feel living together is the proper route with a "forever" partner, and each own their own home, who moves into whose house? Or do you both sell your houses and get one together, so that it's more of an "our" house feel, rather than a boarding type of situation where one person is the house owner and the other person is like a tenant in the house?
Great question.
I lived with my guy for 10 yrs--he moved into my house. Gave me money for his share, did a lot of work on the house but somehow didn't feel like totally equal footing for either of us.
Not living together now...long story. Marriage is in our near future and the plan is to sell and buy "our" house together.
Even when you really try, having one person as the owner and the other paying an equal amount is riddled with feelings of "my house your house".
I wouldn't recommend that route.
 Chromis1
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2015 8:34:20 AM

often less expensive than me going and buying things and buggering about. I pay cash - I get great service :)

Nothing better than having a reliable guy for this stuff. My A/C unit and furnace are original with the house, both about 25 years old and breathing their last. The heating/cooling guy I call gets to the house almost every time within hours of when I call. I hope he lives as long as I do.
 ndm147
Msg: 74
Posted: 10/20/2015 8:36:38 AM
Home ownership is not necessary for everyone. I own a home ( no mortgage but high property taxes) because I was married for 34 years and raised two kids and am now widowed. I would prefer to downsize and have considered an apartment, but I have two dogs and need a yard. Everyone's circumstances are different. Sometimes some men have gotten defensive when they realize I live in a house and they live in an apartment. I realize that divorce can be costly here in Texas because it is a community property state. All I ask is that the man be financially stable; " stable" is open to interpretation. So far I have not gotten into a serious relationship, and if I do ,I will cross the financial bridge between us when it happens.
 call_me_tater
Msg: 75
Posted: 10/20/2015 9:26:56 AM
What I'm wondering is if it's on the first date or first meet when these women demand information on rent or own, retirement savings, pensions, debt, cash flow, income, investments, etc.

Sounds like they just like to be wined, dined, and get gifts without the entanglement of a relationship.
What will they do in 10 years when those married men no longer find them desirable and the well runs dry.
Old and alone, they will be the Golden Girl Sophia, each living alone in the homes that are their sole status symbol....
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Home ownership a dealbreaker?