Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Home ownership a dealbreaker?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Maleman999
Msg: 127
Home ownership a dealbreaker?Page 6 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
"Important safety tip. When getting a legal document drawn up.
Have it done properly."

And have it done before somebody moves into your house. Was she actually fighting to get the cemetery plot?
 Nth_degree1111
Msg: 128
view profile
History
Home ownership a dealbreaker?
Posted: 11/18/2015 9:35:19 AM

Agree - I don't own my own home anymore - am I therefore to remain single?

No. This is one directional. Only men are fall under this consideration. In general, a woman can have large debt and still have no problem meeting a quality guy. I've witnessed it several times. Guys generally don't care about a women's finances; Women generally care too much about the guys.
 ohenryx
Msg: 129
view profile
History
Posted: 11/18/2015 11:43:14 AM

Nth_degree1111
No. This is one directional. Only men are fall under this consideration. In general, a woman can have large debt and still have no problem meeting a quality guy. I've witnessed it several times. Guys generally don't care about a women's finances; Women generally care too much about the guys.

Disagree. Strongly.

We are in the Over 45 forum, and life is a little different here.

I can absolutely guarantee you, the single men I know, in my age group, do care about “large debt”. We really don’t care if a woman has a high income, or owns her own home. We do care that she has a job, is self-supporting, and is not weighed down by mounds of consumer debt.

Actually, in this older age group, I do believe most of the men and women have pretty much the same attitude. “I’m not going to support you, but as long as you can support yourself, we’re good.”
 SunKist_Gal
Msg: 130
Posted: 11/18/2015 11:46:29 AM

Actually, in this older age group, I do believe most of the men and women have pretty much the same attitude. “I’m not going to support you, but as long as you can support yourself, we’re good.

Agreed!!! Hotness only wins out in the young and foolish....lol.
 castlehillsmile
Msg: 131
Posted: 11/19/2015 4:13:39 PM
Large debt... indeed.

I caught up with a man I dated for a while.
His ex has moved back in.
He has gone bankrupt and she is about to because she took on so many of his debts and cannot repay them.
Apparently they are back living together because of finances.

He asked me for help with his OnLineDating profile.
Funny thing to do when you know the person and their circumstances and compare that to what is advertised.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2015 4:40:20 PM
I don't believe the younger woman did not know about the older guy's finances. It beggars belief that such things as having a home and children was not discussed. She may have had ideas of taking what he has in a quickie divorce.
Why would a 32 year old woman want a family with a guy in his fifties anyway? She appears incredibly dumb but my guess is she not telling the whole truth to you.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2015 4:44:36 PM
again, no fool like an old fool...... It is hard to imagine that a woman could claim all that largesse, Porsche etc. after a year of living together. The law can be an ass sometimes. Who is the cemetery plot for? him? lol!!
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2015 4:45:48 PM
I guess you have worked out by now that Sealady has taken on another name, is all. castlehillsmiles....
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 135
Posted: 11/19/2015 4:53:59 PM
Okay, off topic question here:

I got curious the other day about Uber since it's in the news here about whether we're going to allow it. So I did some online research,and got curious about other sharing economy stuff. So I checked out Airbnb. Looked at what was available in my community. Now there was one woman who had her place by the beach listed who used the same photo of herself that she uses for her POF profile. That's not a good idea, since I found out where she lives without even wanting to.

I've never conversed with this woman. Don't know her from Adam. I don't really want to send her a message about this, since, well, it's pretty creepy. "I know where you live", could be read wrong. What does the gang think?
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 136
Posted: 11/19/2015 5:40:56 PM
^ I feel that this is a serious issue, and thus it would be inappropriate to discuss it with her via message. If you really care, you'll go to her house, wait for her to get home, and talk to her about it in person. And tell her that for her own safety you're going to keep a close eye on her.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 137
Posted: 11/19/2015 5:43:22 PM
Just so I can feed into your sick prison fantasies about me.

You really are a terrible person aren't you?
 elmuchoburrito
Msg: 138
Posted: 12/3/2015 11:30:40 AM
I will never own a home in the US banking matrix again. After what they did in the melt down of 2007; I see no reason to ever invest in a home under their realm ever again. I may build one - but I will certainly never finance one again.
PS those of you that were responsible and survived the first crash from predatory loans and adjustable rate shenanigans upon third party transfers under toxic asset bundling - cheer up; round two is just right around the corner. The next Too Big to Fail is warming up.
 coffeetogo127
Msg: 139
Posted: 12/3/2015 12:11:00 PM
Home ownership has always been good for me.

When I separated from my husband, I moved out, didn't really take much of anything and didn't want to have to sell the house which was nearly paid for. So I moved into an apartment for a couple of years. Hated it.

3 1/2 years ago I bought my present home- put $150K down and spent another 20 making a ground floor flat. 3 years later I remortgaged, took the $150 K back with a higher mortgage, my tenants rent covers my entire mortgage payment and I have over $120 equity in the home (conservative estimate)- so basically I have no money of my own invested in the house, and live mortgage free, and if I sold I would walk with 120K.

I can't see renting as ever doing that for me.
 ShowboatSupreme
Msg: 140
Posted: 12/3/2015 12:16:35 PM
^^^
All you need to do now is find find a male renter to cohabit with.

Glad RENT and TEXT are not 4 letter words to some.
 coffeetogo127
Msg: 141
Posted: 12/3/2015 1:56:33 PM
Showboat, I have nothing against a man who doesn't own a home. I was just explaining that for me, in the housing market I live in, it made more sense to buy than rent, if one can. My renters are paying my mortgage- if I was renting I'd be paying someone else's mortgage.

In the past 6 years I have only briefly dated 3 men seriously and not one of them owned a house. I cannot say I ever thought about it as any kind of factor.

(You might also want to note that when I separated I took nothing.)
 xlr8ingme
Msg: 142
Posted: 12/3/2015 2:05:35 PM
Home ownership is not the issue. At my age however financial security is. Those of us that have a small pot happen to find peace with being able to piss in it. I wont give it away, even though I simply would prefer not to share that said piss pot. In a relationship would it not be more peaceful for a partner to piss in their own? I do believe so.
 CarefreeBeauty
Msg: 143
Posted: 12/3/2015 2:15:38 PM
Two bathrooms are a must if a couple cohabitates~
 BBEisBack
Msg: 144
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2015 3:31:01 PM

That's a Luxury, many people don't have.... We never had more than 1 bathroom, growing up with a family of 5....

How one handles, living with just one bathroom, tells you a lot abut them......
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 145
No bladder control a dealbreaker?
Posted: 12/3/2015 3:34:41 PM

Those of us that have a small pot happen to find peace with being able to piss in it. I wont give it away, even though I simply would prefer not to share that said piss pot. In a relationship would it not be more peaceful for a partner to piss in their own?

....well, thanks for using number 1 instead of 2 at least ?

Anyway, for me , this isn't the main factor in choosing someone compatible....but it sure won't make me sad if she's filthy stinking rich either
 ShowboatSupreme
Msg: 146
No bladder control a dealbreaker?
Posted: 12/3/2015 4:29:48 PM
Coffeetogo...

On behalf of all male renters, thank you.

Well, my man cave only has 1 bathroom, but it's huge.

It can surely accommodate a female's glutton of cosmetics, conditioners, toners and brushes.

I'll even compromise and leave the seat down :)
 TheEvolutionOfJessi
Msg: 147
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2015 10:01:00 PM
Oooh, resurrected recent thread that I never 'thought' to post to when current...

however, 'on subject'....

Home ownership is not a factor for me when dating...
Apart from the fiscal fiasco with my then husband 25 years ago... and losing my 'first home owner' advantage - I have always rented... and probably will for the next few years while I continue to furiously save for a home deposit... so that my son will be advantaged....
Currently I have a great landlord; who until he's ready to develop this property - allows me to use it as a 'practice' property ready for my next house. We've been here 5 years, and I have a "buy in five" year plan.... fingers crossed I can actually make him a tax deductible offer on this place and we won't have to relocate.

So if my prospective suitor also rents, then I won't hold it against him... however... I DO value 'fiscal responsibility'... and that's an important factor for me as to whether they are renting or buying or sponging off relatives/exs... I did go out a couple of times with someone who said he wanted to have someone to ' live and grow old with'... but was sharing a tiny apartment with his son and was talking about 'getting out and living with me'... I indicated that for me, I wanted many years of 'live close, visit often'... until I was prepared to consider 'together' in one home... and we would be equal contributing parties... his response was "suppose I'll have to find a one bedroom unit then".
I won't be having someone move in, reducing my current 'wage'... and six months later move out - making claim to my house... yes, it happened to a former work colleague of mine... she lost everything.

So logically, and realistically; I look at how stable they are now... what their 'future' prospects are... and will look at lots of legal paperworks.....
 CarefreeBeauty
Msg: 148
Posted: 12/4/2015 6:35:17 AM

That's a Luxury, many people don't have.... We never had more than 1 bathroom, growing up with a family of 5....

How one handles, living with just one bathroom, tells you a lot abut them......

I also grew up in a household of five. We had one bathroom with a tub, no shower<

(and for awhile lived in the boonies with a primitive outhouse, no running water or electricity)

Hence my preference for two bathrooms now! Been there, done that~
 castlehillsmile
Msg: 149
Posted: 12/6/2015 1:41:27 PM
I live in a house, alone, with 3 bathrooms.

All this theoretical talking about living with a significant other.
Whilst I love sharing a shower, I am not keen on brushing my teeth whilst he uses the toilet.

vvvvv Brushing teeth whilst someone has a dump is bragging???
 spot4username
Msg: 150
Posted: 12/6/2015 1:57:39 PM
^^^
#humblebrag

*yawn*
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Home ownership a dealbreaker?