Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Home ownership a dealbreaker?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 151
Home ownership a dealbreaker?Page 7 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)

I live in a house, alone, with 3 bathrooms.

Me too.

*yawn*

Whilst I love sharing a shower, I am not keen on brushing my teeth whilst he uses the toilet.

Do you HAVE to use the bathroom at the same time even if there is someone else there?
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 152
Home ownership a dealbreaker?
Posted: 12/6/2015 2:58:12 PM
^^^^^ Pffffft ! The things people worry over! Good grief!
 BBEisBack
Msg: 153
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2015 3:18:43 PM

All this theoretical talking about living with a significant other.
Whilst I love sharing a shower, I am not keen on brushing my teeth whilst he uses the toilet.

I can see needing a Sink, while brushing Your teeth,But it doesn't HAVE to be the Bathroom Sink.....

On the other hand, using the Toilet, needs a Toilet.....
If You only have one Toilet, the needs of the person to use it, over rides, the needs of another...
If you're in the shower with the curtain/shower doors closed....
the other person could use the toilet... Our bathroom was laid out, so there was a wall between the two..
You would just call out to the other person, you needed to use it....
So the person in the shower wouldn't get out, till you were done......

That's the life of a one bathroom household....
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 154
Posted: 12/6/2015 3:46:43 PM
Somehow managed to make it, I survived, into my late 30's before I lived, with more than one bathroom.

Good grief, my poor kids! They were sooooooo deprived! OMG! Their lives have been forever stunted!!!!!
They even HAD to share a bedroom until they were 11 and 15!!!! Oh the horror!!!!!

I took them on vacations, they went to summer camp, and they attended/ graduated from college.
BUT they were so deprived, with ONLY ONE bathroom AND ONLY one bedroom! YIKES!
 BBEisBack
Msg: 155
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2015 4:01:03 PM
How did I survive my time in the US Army... the shower was one big room, with 6 shower heads on each opposing wall?
The toilets were lined up without any dividers between them..... Same with the sinks....
They were designed so 1 of the 4 Squads in the Platoon, could use it at the same time..
1 Platoon per Barracks with 2 Squads living in each of the open bays.....
1 bay upstairs & the other downstairs...
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 156
Posted: 12/6/2015 4:33:46 PM
You know, you don't have to use all your fingers to count how many generations back your family was using outhouses. Hell, we didn't have indoor plumbing when I was toilet trained.

I heard someone here talking about how one bathroom for four people was just unworkable. First world problems.
 Maleman999
Msg: 157
Posted: 12/6/2015 5:01:24 PM

the other person could use the toilet... Our bathroom was laid out, so there was a wall between the two.

An unwritten rule when one person is taking a shower while another person is using the toilet is do not flush the toilet right away, or the person in the shower could get super hot water without warning.
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 158
Posted: 12/6/2015 9:18:44 PM

..................the person in the shower could get super hot water without warning.

Went to private school/boarding academy for HS. The girls dorm had 2 bathrooms/shower rooms. The old wing bathroom stalls were clearly posted with warnings on the back of each stall door."WARNING, yell out, FLUSHING, BEFORE you flush!"
One day, in the middle of a shower, a "flusher" failed to give warning. I can tell you from this experience, super hot water, initially feels just like ice water. It takes several seconds to suddenly realize the water temp is HOT not cold! SOB, OUCH!
I looked like a bad day in the sun for a week. AND avoided that shower room forever.

LOL Home ownership a deal breaker? Not hardly.
 TheEvolutionOfJessi
Msg: 159
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2015 11:38:56 PM
Each day I wake up grateful for 'indoor' plumbing.... even if it is 1950's plumbing...
Some 'houses' here in Tasmania still don't have that luxury....

My loo is at opposite end of house from the bathroom, so I try to monitor my flushing when kidlet in there... luckily he is a five minute kidlet...
I make sure I shower while he's watching his educational TV... and no chance of flush flash for me.

Makes me wonder what I'll have in the new house.
 BBEisBack
Msg: 160
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2015 12:55:21 AM

the other person could use the toilet... Our bathroom was laid out, so there was a wall between the two.

An unwritten rule when one person is taking a shower while another person is using the toilet is do not flush the toilet right away, or the person in the shower could get super hot water without warning.

In our old house this was a problem & the answer was to tell the person in the shower, to flush the toilet when they got out.
Or if it was especially smelly, that you were going to flush it now.. Even someone rinsing a glass in the kitchen, would affect the shower.....

With some newer shower mixing valves, it adjusts the mix, to keep an even temperature. It reduces the overall pressure, but the temp remains even... My Master bath Shower is like this... When we first moved in, I was showering & the sprinklers kicked on... The only problem was, it reduced the flow so much, it was barely enough to rinse the soap off...
Good thing I wasn't shampooing my hair.... I don't think the flow was enough to rinse out my hair.....
 Chromis1
Msg: 161
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2015 8:06:43 AM

They even HAD to share a bedroom until they were 11 and 15!!!! Oh the horror!!!!!

I shared a bedroom with my brother until he got married! 24 years. Up to that point we were always at each others throats. Now we're the best of friends. Funny how that works.
 call_me_tater
Msg: 162
Posted: 12/7/2015 3:01:27 PM
I grew up with 7 people in a 3 bedroom 1 bathroom house.
Had to share a room with 2 younger sisters--yes the horrors of 3 in a room!
Somehow we survived.
Raised my family of 4 in a 4 bed/2 bath home.
I can't imagine requiring 1 bathroom per person....who spends that much time in that room to warrant private baths for all?
I'd rather have a walk in closet.
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 163
Posted: 12/8/2015 9:18:36 AM

..............who spends that much time in that room to warrant private baths for all?

LOL Occasionally on the cable channel, HGTV, I will watch the shows, such as those showing a couple/a single person, looking for a new home, to buy.
One of the top 5 complaints voiced during a home tour, is.................."Oh this bathroom is soooooo small! /OH I couldn't live here. The bathroom is just too small!"

OK I have to ask. WTH does one DO in the bathroom that one needs soooooo much square footage?
I can see the need for a larger tub and/or shower. But the whole room?

Get in, get done, get out! LOL
 BeckyHT
Msg: 164
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2015 11:45:28 AM

I indicated that for me, I wanted many years of 'live close, visit often'... until I was prepared to consider 'together' in one home... and we would be equal contributing parties... his response was "suppose I'll have to find a one bedroom unit then".
I won't be having someone move in, reducing my current 'wage'... and six months later move out - making claim to my house... yes, it happened to a former work colleague of mine... she lost everything.

So logically, and realistically; I look at how stable they are now... what their 'future' prospects are... and will look at lots of legal paperworks.....

I don’t understand this “six months later… making claim to my house…. Happened to a former work colleague… she lost everything”

What is “lost everything”? I don’t see how someone just moving in, could claim much of anything six months later… not if the title of the home was clearly with one owner.

An extended explanation is needed here.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 165
Posted: 12/8/2015 12:01:09 PM
Ladyinred4755- I hear ya'!
The last two places we lived, we had one bathroom.
It CAN work.
I've taught my children to get everything they need the next day out the night before.
It's too much stress to freak out in the morning, deciding what to wear, making lunches, etc.
Our morning routine is simple, we just do cereal or something else quick for breakfast on weekdays.
If we all need to use the shower, we talk about it the night before and decide what order we shower in depending on who needs to be out the door when.
That works well for us.
Some people think they need two sinks, so each can get ready without getting in the way of the other.
I watch house hunters from time to time.
I see people stretch their budget to the limit, or go above it, insisting that everybody gets their own bedroom, sometimes their own bathroom.
The older I get, the more things I get rid of and the less space I need.
Somebody has to clean all of those bedrooms and bathrooms.
I don't travel outside of the US, but I've seen house hunter episodes set in other country's.
It's always a little funny to me, the reality check Americans get when they move to a foreign country and see that most of the rest of the world makes due in MUCH smaller spaces.
EVERY time, they want to see a bigger place, only to realize that anything as big as they THINK they need is too far outside their price range to buy.
The sane ones stay within their budget and when they show them moved in, they are always fine in the space they bought.
I don't GET why people think they need huge houses.
When I retire, If I manage to buy again, I'll be looking at what I can afford, over size.
If that is just a one bedroom, one bath, people will have to be ok with sleeping on a pull out sofa.
Or, get a hotel room.
Hmmmmm, a one bed one bath might be just the thing. :D
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 166
Posted: 12/8/2015 12:07:01 PM
Bama

"I don't GET why people think they need huge houses."

My theory is it's always about compensating for something they feel is missing in their lives.
 Chromis1
Msg: 167
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2015 12:24:55 PM

Hmmmmm, a one bed one bath might be just the thing. :D

I currently have 3,000 square feet for just me and a little doggie (not long ago it was home to five adults, a child and four dogs). Easily 3/4 of this is now just wasted space. The last two years has been a successful project of clutter-elimination, to the point where the attic contains only 30 bankers boxes, and the garage even less.

Then I saw "Tiny House Nation" on TV and thought "Damn! I could SO do that!" And the $ I'd save each year would be thousands and thousands. Just me and Tuck in a teeny, tiny house.

But ... dating hari-kari? Probably.

What to do .... what to do ....
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 168
Posted: 12/8/2015 12:29:21 PM
Just say it's a moral imperative to have a small carbon footprint. Then the woman would feel so guilty about being judgy, that she'd put out just to prove she's not small minded.

And here I thought you were a lawyer. Lawyer up.
 Chromis1
Msg: 169
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2015 12:30:37 PM
^^^^ Granted, sometimes I'm just not thinking.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 170
Posted: 12/8/2015 12:40:39 PM
Years ago dated a woman with two annoyingly insufferable teenage brats.
They lived in an 11,000 sq. ft house, 6 bedrooms, and 8.5 bathrooms on a 3-acre parcel. More baths than bedrooms!
The home had not so much as a "drop" of soul, coziness, or warmth to it. Weird.
 castlehillsmile
Msg: 171
Posted: 12/8/2015 1:31:00 PM
I grew up in a one bathroom house with the toilet out the back.
Mum, dad and 3 daughters.

Dad used to like sitting on the loo and reading.
Not much chance with 4 women in the house.

My house now is the smallest I have lived in for over 30 years.
Yesterday arranged for the plumber to connect me to the mains sewage which will happen in the new year.

Downsizing means throwing lots and lots of things out.
Still really too big for 1 person, but I like the space and having guests.
I do not miss the things I have removed.
Am right now in the process of a spring clean, removing even more 'stuff'.
TOO MUCH STUFF!!!

When I am on board, I am on a boat that is 25 foot long.
Inside that is sleeping for 5 people. Personally I think that is only possible if nobody brings any clothing nor food and there is no personal space required. i.e. Everyone is comfortable with everyone else touching them as they move around.
 cooldog65
Msg: 172
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2015 6:02:28 PM
Some people equate being a renter to being poor. Not always the case. You still have a roof over your head. It's not homelessness.
 Dragracer428
Msg: 173
Posted: 12/8/2015 6:07:36 PM
In my area and age bracket home ownership is almost a given at least in my experience. My 2 LTR's both owned multiple, both had an income cottage (live in tourist country).
I found the perfect place for me, small 1 bedroom house with more garage area than living area. LOL
But like I posted before finances has been a non subject with anyone I have dated.

Have 4 brothers and a sister, grew up with one bathroom, never seemed to be a big issue.
 Nth_degree1111
Msg: 174
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2015 8:05:44 AM

Some people equate being a renter to being poor. Not always the case

In fact, studies have shown that if you start with two people, with things being relatively equal, and one rents and one buys, over time the renter comes out ahead to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars (I think $600,000 was the number, but I can't be sure). I'd love to own, but it's only luck it you make money. Houses are expenses, not investments.

I also find it annoying that we are seen as less desirable if we rent. Do people realize that most people rent, regardless of income?
 ShowboatSupreme
Msg: 175
Posted: 12/10/2015 8:03:20 AM
^^^
I'm gonna try to beat this dead horse just a little more gently.

The few times I've encountered this...issue, was when the gal had a mortgage with little to no equity, with no job or job that paid little.

See, that mortgage is all they have, period. They're clinging to it with their lives. It's all they have, and goddamn, ain't nobody gonna get close to it either!

Anyway. I've had the plumbing snaked and appliances replaced with a few keystrokes and mouse clicks from my desk at work :)
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Home ownership a dealbreaker?