Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > What is the reason Canda elected Trudeau Can Canada be more liberal?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 csillagjanos
Msg: 76
view profile
History
What is the reason Canda elected Trudeau Can Canada be more liberal?Page 4 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
""""Bottom line: support for the Tories declined steadily throughout the campaign. If you don't blame the party leader, who do you blame?""""

Whom do you blame? Well, the answer is obvious: the electorate, of course.

Prim Harper said it best in his abdication speech: "The Canadian voters are never wrong." It sounds a lot like "the customer is never wrong"; however, both statements carry a tremendous weight of under-handed and back-handed truth.
 427cammer
Msg: 77
view profile
History
What is the reason Canda elected Trudeau Can Canada be more liberal?
Posted: 11/1/2015 6:02:19 PM
Leanco:

Your question can be answered indirectly by understanding what the people in charge did during the financial crisis of 2008/2009:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/the-2008-financial-crisis-through-the-eyes-of-some-major-players/article14322993/?page=all

Again, thanks for the info. Reading through the article I was struck with the impression that most of these guys had very little foresight of what was coming and for the most part they were scared and confused and we barely scraped through it by the skin of our teeth. There was very little specifics as to how our regulations helped though.

Here are two quotes that stood out for myself:

By late September – in the heat of a presidential election campaign between Democratic candidate Barack Obama and Republican John McCain – the U.S. government realizes it needs to do something to contain what is quickly becoming a global crisis of confidence. Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson drafts what becomes known as the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP), asking Congress for $700-billion to buy toxic assets from financial institutions, giving them badly needed capital. Despite a push from the White House and House Majority Leader Nancy Pelosi, the House of Representatives votes down the plan on Sept. 29. The market’s reaction is violent: The Dow falls 7 per cent that day.

Lindsay: I watched it on TV and I thought, ‘Oh my god, what have they done.’ Because in financial markets the world generally had a perception that if things got really bad, the U.S. could step in and put a floor under it. And what we saw with Nancy Pelosi’s speech (which blamed the problems on “failed Bush economic policies”) was that not only was the U.S. not going to put a floor under it, they didn’t even get it.

Just four days later, Congress votes again, and this time TARP is passed. But investors are already badly shaken. During one extraordinary week, Oct. 6 to 10, the Dow Jones industrial average plummets 18 per cent.

AFTER THE STORM

Early in 2009, stock markets and economic activity continue to drop. After surviving a political crisis in which three opposition parties try to take it down, Stephen Harper’s minority government in Ottawa assembles a plan to boost the economy as unemployment soars.

Flaherty: When we decided to run the big deficit in January, 2009, I had to talk to the opposition, because we could have been defeated. I give the opposition at the time credit for recognizing what a serious situation the country was in. … They easily could have defeated the government. They could have said, ‘You guys are responsible, you’re running a huge deficit, you said you’d maintain a balanced budget, (but) you’re not. We’ll have an election in six or seven weeks and see what happens.’ I mean, they could have done that. But they saw the better good.

^^^^...it's good to see that in times of extreme crisis that all of our parties were able to come together.

user142536:

Again point is that we have had a female leader.

No that wasn't the point.

If embracing diversity is what makes a nation more "liberal", having several hundered members of the Progressive Conservatives select a female leader at their leadership convention when they most likely knew they had no chance of winning in a general election in the upcoming months would not carry near as much weight as the general populace getting a chance to vote in their female leader (which Canada failed to do).

^^^^... if "embracing diversity" is your "thing" the US is doing a better job.

... guess I should have made clear in my original post that I was aware of Kim Campbell..... maybe could have avoided all this stupid arguing over semantics.
 oneofzillion
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 11/6/2015 4:26:05 PM
Those who define the term own it.

That is how they define our reality.

"Liberal" has been defined as evil by those that own the media. They owned Harper as the own War and Oil. They won the elections in Canada and the USA with fear and propaganda. See: Fox and Sun News.

How do you define Liberal? "free from prejudice or bigotry; tolerant: a liberal attitude toward foreigners." (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/liberal)

Canada is a small country and as Naomi Klein says "Truth is Shock Resistant". Over time Canadians have talked to each other. With the success of social media during the Proroguing of Parliament (twice) hundreds of thousands of Canadians connected and learned how to spread the truth on the Big Media forums and web pages. We out-trolled the trolls. Who are here, even on these forums. I have not posted in a long time. Hi guys.

Personally, after Harper won the last election I gave up on humanity. Of course like Florida, that election also proved to have been fixed.

I was a fan of Elliot but not a fan of Justin. Very disappointed on his stance on the pipe line, security, and trade. Same old Corporate sell-out.

Until he got elected. Stopping the jets. Equal representation of females in the Cabinet. Brilliant. I never thought he had it in him. I hope he has lots of both his mother and father in him.

What will change in Canada? We will have a whole new way to interact with the world that is for the first time ever half women. For the first time in a long time we have hope. At least I do. Men have dominated this planet long enough and it is time for some big "liberal" changes. Those privileged men have also redefined "feminism" into something evil because they are afraid they will lose their power.

I expect the media to send in the hit men and take him out. Ever heard of John Perkins? Confessions of an Economic Hit Man?

Hopefully this will lead to a new dynasty with a new proportional representation voting system as promised. A complete revamp of our Colonial System with some First Nations input. There will be more voice from Science and young people. More openness with all cultures. War will no longer be the only solution brought to the table. Legalise pot and make drugs a social issue not a prison sentence will greatly increase the health and welfare of the street.

Tax the heck out of the 1%.

I wish him luck!

Hopefully he will get farther then JFK at taking on the 1%.
 deetristate
Msg: 79
Posted: 11/7/2015 4:37:23 AM
This sounds like a man educated in Massachusetts.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 80
Posted: 11/7/2015 6:06:21 AM
Just curious. You seem awfully quick to label others as posting ad hominem attacks. Does the part of your brain that triggers cognitive dissonance not function?
 00Spy
Msg: 81
Posted: 11/7/2015 1:04:47 PM
Half ;

Just curious. You seem awfully quick to label others as posting ad hominem attacks. Does the part of your brain that triggers cognitive dissonance not function?

Based on that sentence you need to re-read the definition of "cognitive dissonance".

one;

Tax the heck out of the 1%.
I wish him luck!
Hopefully he will get farther then JFK at taking on the 1%.

JFK took on the 1%? Huh?
Kennedy proposed in 1963 to cut income taxes from a range of 20-91% to 14-65% He also proposed a cut in the corporate tax rate from 52% to 47%. No wonder, economic growth expanded in 1963.
Which really puts into perspective the rest of your post.

As for Canada and the Trudeau election, simply a protest vote. Harper was in too long time to change the gang.
Now let's see if the Barista PM can do a better job.
First thing he needs to do is penalize the US for declining Keystone.
"I AM CANADIAN!"
 oneofzillion
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2015 6:10:55 AM
Sorry OOSpy but I see from reading your posts that it would take me way to long to explain to you what a fiat dollar is and who the 1% are.

To put your comments in to perspective: "I AM CANADIAN" is a bad beer owned by the Americans. From your perspective corporate beer is the best in the world but from mine it's poison used to brainwash the masses and sell the Oil and War.

Thanks for the compliment, I don't normally comment on here anymore, but I though you might appreciate another perspective.

The cognitive dissidence is resounding.
 427cammer
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2015 10:16:09 AM
deetristate:

This sounds like a man educated in Massachusetts.

Are men educated in Massachusetts prone to making themselves believe that they're warriors fighting oppression and greed and ignorance, saviours for the common people?.... and at the same time they sneer at the working class for the kind of beer they drink?.... and are unwilling (or unable?) to explain their own words and would rather belittle those who question them?

^^^^.... the more this guy posts, the more he sounds like that.
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 84
Posted: 11/8/2015 5:10:20 PM

Did she rub a magic lamp Mr. Clean fail lookalike.

OMG….that’s hilarious.
 komodo
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2015 1:59:28 PM
Trudeau won because his name wasn't Harper.....
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 86
Posted: 12/20/2015 2:19:02 PM
more because his last name WAS Trudeau

funny how he is supposed to represent a " new wave" of being elected on talent regardless of gender, political hack experience, being a good money bagman for the Party, personal wealth

yet simultaneously represents Canada·s first "political dynasty" there becasue dear old Dad was..the elephant in the room that fan-boys and fan-girls want to ignore

of course to hear the arrogant Justie say it he·d still be MP and PM after a few years if his last name were Smith and he had the same experience and deep background of teaching high school drama

sure Justie, do not let the win go to your head

and posing for pretty boy US fashion magazine pictorial the day after winning was his top priority, that and smiling for photographers

going to Toronto airport to grett the first group of PRIVATLEY sponsored Syrian refugees who had been pending for about 2 years - giving the impression that he alone made it happen

all sizzle with as of yet no apparent substance

nice you have your priorities straight..more magazine covers in the works ? :)

perhaps one or both of his sons will be future PMs as well. a dynasty to match the Kennedys or Bushes ?
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 87
Posted: 12/20/2015 4:50:07 PM

all sizzle with as of yet no apparent substance

This reminds me of a parody of Conservative criticism I saw - they've already been in power for a month and have only kept 4 promises and are working on 7 others.

It really does feel like my country is back. Actually engaging at the Paris conference to limit global warming; immediately lifting the gag order on government scientists; and yes, symbolic gestures like greeting Syrian refugees. This is the country I grew up in. Harper said his goal was to change the culture of Canada to make the changes he wanted permanent. As soon as he's gone there's this almost physical sense of relief and the tightly controlled, messaged, dogma driven government is gone. Even in the Conservative Party it seems like they're reversing his top-down style.

Canada is back.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 88
Posted: 12/20/2015 4:59:56 PM
Why wasn't he greeting the African refugees from the Ivory Coast?
Why are taxpayers footing the bill for his Nannies
Canada sent the most people to Paris, cool they got a trip :/
 portocall
Msg: 89
Posted: 12/20/2015 5:23:08 PM
Canada would have sent people to Paris for the climate talks no matter what party was in power; the NDP would have sen more, the Greens more again and the Conservatives a little less and the wouldn't have been as smart.

From my searches, Harper had 6 staff to tend to himself and his family. Trudeau also has six staff, two of which happen to be nannies. Apparently Tudeau is smart enough to dress himself and fry an egg but needs assistance with child care. It's really too bad that some people can't see that. Blinders and ignorance. So to the dumb people, no additional staff were added to the PM...still six. If Muclair had been elected, still six staff.

By the way, IMO the last thing we needed to be doing is spending all that time and money on Climate change when we have 37 dollar oil and a 75 cent loonie. And I support bringing in refugees from Syria. To say no makes us too much like________ um, Americans ( no offence).
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 90
Posted: 12/20/2015 7:16:14 PM
Yes Canada is back because the Natural Governing party by Divine Right is back..as central Canada-centric as ever. Only Quebec and Ontario actually matter..f&&k the west, losers..and the east coast too.

why isn't there more celebration? Justin has single handedly not only saved Canada, but the entire world from imminent climate destruction. The State is Justin.

oops, they said it was imminent in 1965 and 1970 as well. .how are any mammals even still breathing? Rachel Carson, Silent Spring, eh? Now the God David Suzuki. so a non binding agreement to be buddies and hit a target by 2100?
pretty easy to promise something 85 years out at which time all will not only be long out of power, but be recycled as plant fertilizer long ago. At

wow I can breathe easier already, Captain Canada must have already removed thousands of tons of carbon from the atmosphere
 Ouija2025
Msg: 91
Posted: 12/21/2015 6:22:38 AM
JT has 7 staff :)
The low dollar is so not good.. I hope things improve in the new year
 00Spy
Msg: 92
Posted: 12/21/2015 9:56:33 AM
cabal - you are so right and isn't it comforting that the Barista in Chief Mr Trudeau has it all under control. Although too busy to learn about the Baltic he at least will save the planet. Never mind the last Canadian industry still standing, mineral production and exploration is being decimated but who cares as long as we can breathe in the unemployment lines.
frizzy one - Not sure what the "fiat dollar" had to do with this discussion but since you just learned a new term please explain. Please tell us your conspiracy theory on who killed Kennedy?
Real history shows us that the proposed JFK tax cuts of 63, signed into law by President Johnson in 64 were a huge success.
 deetristate
Msg: 93
Posted: 12/21/2015 10:53:10 AM
Barista in Chief?
(LOL! Read your reply).

As far as dynasty, system is set up for dynasties or pseudo dynasties(chosen politicians). In many states, Joe blow can't win be cause he can't stay on the ballot. Even if he needs 1,000 signatures and gets 5,000. the law allows the incumbent to take him to court to make him prove each one, which joe can't afford so he drops off. Incumbent or chosen one wins!!!!
 00Spy
Msg: 94
Posted: 12/21/2015 10:59:59 AM
yes deer, Barista in Chief because if you look at his resume that was all our Prime Minister was qualified for. Nice hair though. Starbucks barista perhaps in a Baltic country.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 95
Posted: 12/21/2015 11:00:07 AM
Yeah. Trudeau has been in power for almost 6 weeks, so he's managed to depress commodity prices and drive down the price of oil. His nefarious plan is in place.

And seriously? The Baltic thing? He was asked in a humourous interview what his favourite Baltic state was and he said, "That's not a thing." As in, people don't have a favourite Baltic state - unless you live there of course.
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 96
Posted: 12/21/2015 11:49:30 AM
no, he has not done that, nor could he

his accomplishments are more in the area of posing for several fawning magazine stories & photos, fawning interviews with CBC people almost genuflecting at the Greatness before them (one who will increase CBC funding) , thousands of selfies, and setting middle aged women·s and maybe some gay guys hearts to fluttering with that dazzling oh so cute Trudeau grin

OK we get it you are a fanboy with a bit of a crush, sorry to say anything not glowingly praiseful about the Great White Hope
 deetristate
Msg: 97
Posted: 12/22/2015 6:40:49 AM
Never mind. Extreme liberal. Canadian woman breastfeeding while on Santa's lap. Now nothing on that side from Canada surprises me.
 DameWrite
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2016 12:59:21 AM
To Dee: Canadian women and all women should be able to breastfeed whenever and where ever their child is hungry or needs soothing you twit. It's not something from "that side of Canada". It's world wide. Do you believe it is sacrilegious to feed your baby while on Santa's lap now?
Never mind, a military pencil pushing peon who plays on the internet all day at "work" or who gets others to raise her kids while she plays "lets play stupid" on the forums all night would, of course be surprised when women feed their kids in public or use a photo op to promote breast feeding. Who cares about the kids right to be fed and nurtured when they need it, right? Certain;y not by someone who has no compassion for baby's at home or abroad or dying in wars that you shrug off as... shit happens.

I will not be excusing your dim witted remarks and hypocritical behavior any longer. btw.

Back to topic:

Trudeau is already reneging on his promise to pull the jets out and cancel the fighter jets. Sounds to me like he is just going to move what we have already back to Iraq and buy the f-35 type of jets off Bombardier instead. Such a nice liberal thing to do.

Just another war mongering liar like the rest of them.
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 99
Posted: 1/12/2016 9:29:14 AM
Also ultra liberal "Mr. Human Rights" Justin is fine with selling the armored vehicles to Saud Arabia, a country with an abysmal h6man rights record that has just executed political opponents. .AVs perfect for quelling civil disturbances or any political opposition.
Because business is business.

and he's counting on those votes from London, Ontario in the next election.

Ho hum, 47 beheaded..let's sell those "Jeeps", carrying 25 mm. Automatic cannon , machine guns, & armor plating.
I'm sure he was able to have a nice relaxing Caribbean vacation, frolicking on the beach, in his US $ 2500 per night villa while the political prisoners in Saudi Arabia were being beheaded..slept like a baby, no doubt.
hey, Justin & his wife appeared in Vogue magazine, that's the important thing..who cares about those Arab losers dying, amirite?
 Maleman999
Msg: 100
Posted: 1/12/2016 9:44:31 AM

^^^Also ultra liberal "Mr. Human Rights" Justin is fine with selling the armored vehicles to Saudi Arabia, a country with an abysmal human rights record that has just executed political opponents.

As opposed to the surrounding countries in the middle east, who treat all citizens with the utmost respect. lol. Or the western nations (including Canada) who have been bombing the hell out those countries for years, slaughtering thousands of people. Are they still looking for weapons of mass destruction, using their weapons of mass destruction? Politicians in every country treat war and killing like a video game. The war has become another Viet Nam, except this time, there is no one calling for an end to the madness.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > What is the reason Canda elected Trudeau Can Canada be more liberal?