Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > do woman mind if you aproach them to say hi in a supermarket?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Baffalobill
Msg: 26
do woman mind if you aproach them to say hi in a supermarket?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Mate ...When I was about 16 yrs of a age I used to catch the train form Pennant hills station to Central / City everyday as I was going to a music school ..Now at the time,,there was a very beautiful lady she was gorgeous perhaps a yr or 2 above my age that i had noticed often at a certain time when boarding the train ...

This went on for a while ...I finally decided to do something about it.. On the way home from music class I decided to buy her some flowers also buying a card and signing with my name and number ....

Anyway jumped on the train to return to Pennant hills station ..as i got off ...I also noticed this lady departing ..I rushed through the crowd and gave her the flowers at the same time lost my confidence , It all went straight through me and i said " These are for you " Then left as cool and as quickly as I could...( with whispers of the public. Thinking who is this nut case...???

Never got a phone call >!!!!!
So long story short...Its all guess work... How and When and Were to meet women..???
 cooldog65
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Do women mind if you aproach them to say hi in a supermarket?
Posted: 10/25/2015 5:21:23 AM
From my observations, most of the women I see shopping are trying to get in and get out. If they want to talk to me, that's fine. I'll let them break the ice.
 Paladin2015
Msg: 28
Posted: 10/25/2015 6:23:56 PM
I think most people walk around in a bubble...not even seeing those around them....if a pretty girl in your age bracket returns a smile or flirt with you...it never hurts to ask if they are single....

You never know might happen....the worst she can say is no....
 TrvstInKarma
Msg: 29
Posted: 10/25/2015 7:16:02 PM
I have been approached in the supermarket and I don't like it. I'm usually in a rush and don't have time to flirt - there is a time and a place for that, but not while grocery shopping. Even if the guy was super hot, I'd be "off" my game because I'm not prepared for it.
 Silverhawk_tkn
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2015 8:45:47 AM
I always chat to women in the grocery store. I approach casually as I'm shopping for my own stuff and I find it very natural to strike up a conversation. It helps being a good cook as food and cooking are great topics to strike up conversations around! I never single out any women nor do I ever approach aggressively or purposeful - its always just a laid back casual conversation if the opportunity affords.

Between the grocery store and the local Starbucks, I find these are great places to chat with women!!
 questjohn24
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2015 1:53:16 PM
I would hope that we haven't become a society where a simple "Hi" is something to be feared.
Posted: 10/26/2015 3:36:16 PM

I would hope that we haven't become a society where a simple "Hi" is something to be feared.

That's exactly what has happened for a lot of people. The word "creepy" is even used so much now for almost any kind of casual friendly attempt at interaction, and in almost every public scenario. So sad.
 ThePig0fTheOpera
Msg: 33
Posted: 10/26/2015 7:23:47 PM

That's exactly what has happened for a lot of people. The word "creepy" is even used so much now for almost any kind of casual friendly attempt at interaction, and in almost every public scenario. So sad.

"Creepy" and "awkward" have become two of the most horribly misused terms lately.
 Baffalobill
Msg: 34
Posted: 10/27/2015 12:12:04 AM
With all the Political Correctness spreading across society like a plague , Its no surprise that even simply looking at someone the Right or Wrong way is now deemed highly & extremely offensive by the other party....

When did we all suddenly become so overly paranoid & sensitive ???
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 35
Posted: 10/27/2015 12:49:01 AM
"I would hope that we haven't become a society where a simple "Hi" is something to be feared."

Welcome to LA!

I have actually seen what I genuinely believe to be fear in the eyes of men when I walk by and smile..they quickly pull their celphones out and avert their eyes. They do not want to be looked at. You should see how much eye contact avoidance and celphone blocking happens in elevators. You really get the idea that people do NOT want to be looked at and God forbid spoken to.

You can feel the tension.

I learned long ago to not start conversations with men..they just dont seem to like it, I get this very nervous weirded out vibe from them like what the hell is going on here...? I make a little joke or something and they let out this little nervous laugh and take out their celphone.

I remember going up to a guy at a party. He was dressed nicely in a 40's style hat and tie. I smiled and told him I liked his style. Without turning to look at me, he said a quick "thank you" and I kid you not..without ever looking at me, he turned and walked into the other room.

I no longer talk to men when I am out and about. If I do, it seems to trigger this reflex to either walk away or pull out a celphone. OH WELL thank God I didnt live my 20's and 30's like this. I am so so thankful I used to, at least, have a normal social life before people preferred to stay home and hide behind computers and Netflix.
 Kodanshi
Msg: 36
view profile
History
do woman mind if you aproach them to say hi in a supermarket?
Posted: 11/4/2015 3:11:55 PM
^ Don't be too detailed about clothes. Women tend to think men are 'gay' if they compliment their dress/shoes/handbag too much.

Or perhaps it's just me that women are hoping is gay!
 mrcs84
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2015 9:37:13 PM
Opportunity is fleeting. You might see her regularly, but during all that time that you don't see her, she may be interacting with men who strike her interest due to timing and actually deciding to make a move. Don't drag this out. You make a move so you can stop wondering.
 A6K
Msg: 38
Posted: 11/7/2015 9:15:05 PM
Depends on your looks.
 mike11092
Msg: 39
Posted: 11/9/2015 8:26:44 PM
Who are you to say what my intentions are when I say hi?

Do we really live in a time where people think it's not okay to hit on women in a bar?

OP: Stop it. Just stop. Obsessing over the right time to approach is something creepers do.

Casual conversations can literally occur ANYWHERE. Especially in a bar or pub. Never once have I or...ANYONE I know personally ever went to a bar and said, "I feel like spending this night alone, away from people."

Here's something for everyone: Even LGBT people can, gasp, enjoy casual conversations.

Grow up.

Edit to add: So, the point is, what you want to do is casually gauge her interest and see if a next step is possible. This is done via the "casual conversations" ranted about above.
 Maleman999
Msg: 40
Posted: 11/10/2015 8:19:36 AM
Approaching someone in a supermarket is like skeet shooting or some other sport where the object is to hit a moving target. People are in constant motion, going up and down aisles, so it's hard to approach someone when they're focused on walking to the locations of what they're after, and only stop temporarily when they find what they're after, or to check out something they haven't surgically examined previously. The only other time they have to come to a stop is if they're waiting in line at the check out. But that's usually the time when everybody gets out their cellphones and goes into the zombie-like cellphone trance, staring at the palm of their hand. Even if they aren't, it's a little late to start flirting at that point.

I have a bit of a rant, speaking of supermarkets. Why is it, when I go to a supermarket to pick up a few things and get in the express lane-1 to 8 items-lots of times, there is a person ahead of me in line who has a shopping cart filled to the brim? This happened to me yesterday, and I've seen it countless other times. The problem is as soon as they get up to the belt, they start piling stuff on the belt, so by the time the cashier realizes they have more than what they're suppose to have, it would be too much trouble to ask them to put everything back in the buggy and go to another aisle. When a cashier mentions something to them about exceeding the limit for that lane, they usually act stupid and pretend they never saw the sign, even though it's hard to miss.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 41
Posted: 11/10/2015 8:36:43 AM

Posted by maleman999:
"...I have a bit of a rant, speaking of supermarkets. Why is it, when I go to a supermarket to pick up a few things and get in the express lane-1 to 8 items-lots of times, there is a person ahead of me in line who has a shopping cart filled to the brim? This happened to me yesterday, and I've seen it countless other times. The problem is as soon as they get up to the belt, they start piling stuff on the belt, so by the time the cashier realizes they have more than what they're suppose to have, it would be too much trouble to ask them to put everything back in the buggy and go to another aisle. When a cashier mentions something to them about exceeding the limit for that lane, they usually act stupid and pretend they never saw the sign, even though it's hard to miss..."

Agree to let them skate on the minor offense if they will meet you there again the following week at the same time!
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 42
Posted: 11/10/2015 11:03:15 AM
It's not just the supermarket that would be a great place to start a chat. Home improvement stores, too.

I remember years ago I got into a nice conversation with a very cute man in the garden department, and he made it clear he was available to help me..plant a few things. Haha.

I would have taken him up on it, but I was in a relationship at the time.

This sort of spontaneous friendly chatter is WAY more appealing to me than online stuff.
 Maleman999
Msg: 43
Posted: 11/10/2015 11:42:25 AM
"Agree to let them skate on the minor offense if they will meet you there again the following week at the same time!"

I'm not sure what the reference to hockey is about, but anyway, her getting in line with more than what the sign said was the max limit wasn't the end of it. She was paying with cash, and when the cashier told her what the total was, she didn't have enough money to pay for it. So she started playing the "If I don't buy this, how much would the total be now?" game. After that was over, I put my items down and was done and paid for in under a minute. As I was walking out, she said "Can you help me put the bags in the cart?" With her being a little old lady, I didn't mind putting the bags in the cart, but I was still mad that she didn't care if my time and the time of everybody else behind me who only had a few items was of any value. The whole purpose of that line is to get out quickly.

As far as home improvement places, I never had any luck there, and I would think a woman would have a lot more luck, since guys shopping there would greatly out-number women. But I think it's more of a case of being in the right place at the right time, since single people are confined to a specific demographic group.
 Fiery_Heart
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2015 7:33:08 AM

stephen_adams1982 said:

hi its been a while since i have actually approach a woman and got the courage to say hello to some one i don't know would a woman mind if a guy approach them and say hi while they was shopping ? i normally she her shopping certain days of the week by herself when i am at work and not sure if she notice me or not is there a way to tell if a woman likes you before you approach her ?

I recommend the following:

1. Be spontaneous.
2. Stop thinking and just do it.
3. Just do it for fun.
4. Smile and say "hi" to random people for practice.

stephen_adams1982 said:

is there a way to tell if a woman likes you before you approach her?

Yes, if she makes eye contact with you. Watch to see who is looking at you. Look at them and smile. If they smile back, go talk to them!

I recommend going out and be around people as often as possible to increase the chances of this happening. As many people say around here, finding the one for you is like playing the lottery. So play the lottery more often! :-)
 peterpancollar
Msg: 45
Posted: 12/17/2015 12:15:30 PM
What's wrong with saying hi to anyone in public? Isn't a form of greeting customary in the human culture?

I think people put too much thought into something that's really nothing. Say hi, hello, how are you? It's just greetings and opens up for further conversation. If no further conversation ensues, then it's no harm. As long as it's polite, it's fine.
 RobsterUK
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2015 7:31:39 AM
Stephen I think you're building this up too much in your head. Putting women, especially a specific woman on a pedestal in how you think about her isn't going to do you any favours.

As someone else said maybe you should try practising talking to random people when you're out and about. Someone in the supermarket you're not attracted to, whoever you happen to sit next to at the bus stop, the bus driver, someone who serves you at a cafe, a random person you pass in the park walking their dog. Even if you just make a random comment about something or say "morning" and don't get much of a response, these are all harmless interactions, and will help you to realise it's not a big deal and you will probably enjoy it.

If you do talk to the woman in the supermarket you don't have to come on to her, just talk to her as if she's one of the other types of people I mentioned. Then you're just a friendly stranger making a harmless comment about carrots or whatever, then going about his shopping. If you see her in there regularly then next time you can say hi, or something else, then just see what happens and try not to worry about it. You might even meet someone more interesting in your practice interactions.

Hope this helps.
 SLAFFA
Msg: 47
Posted: 12/30/2015 8:46:40 AM
You'll do best if you compliment her on her body/a body part.

Don't believe me?

https://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts8336053.aspx

CLEARLY, your best bet is to find a supermarket close to a large gym/workout facility of some type...

That should improve your chances at least somewhat, no matter what you say.

And it goes w/o saying, to some women - just approaching and/or opening your mouth - means you only want one thing from them in their minds. Not much hope for those types.
 Chromis1
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2015 9:15:05 AM

You'll do best if you compliment her on her body/a body part.

Don't believe me?

https://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts8336053.aspx

I ... don't believe you.

What am I missing? I read through the entire thread, and the vast majority of those who responded said "Ewww, icky", or "Gross", or "I'd tell you to FO".

Why do you think this works?
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 49
Posted: 12/30/2015 9:17:58 AM
I've flirted in a supermarket. There's just no realistic way to close the deal in that situation though.
 Coma_White
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2015 1:10:27 PM

I ... don't believe you.

What am I missing? I read through the entire thread, and the vast majority of those who responded said "Ewww, icky", or "Gross", or "I'd tell you to FO".

Why do you think this works?

It depends who's saying it. If you like the man's appearance, body language, facial expressions and tone of voice, he can say pretty much anything and it will get a good response. It's the same thing with men. If a beautiful woman goes up to a man and says "What's your favourite flavour of bowling ball?", most men will exchange numbers with her because they like her appearance and her attitude. People that say "I would do this" or "I would do that" generally do something totally different in real life.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > do woman mind if you aproach them to say hi in a supermarket?