Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > do woman mind if you aproach them to say hi in a supermarket?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SLAFFA
Msg: 72
do woman mind if you aproach them to say hi in a supermarket?Page 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I get the distinct impression from many of the replies here, that "most" think it's pretty much a losing proposition to approach a stranger ANYwhere and say ANYthing ... unless one or both parties are under the influence of a chemical of some kind.

IMO, that type of attitude is not going to help your cause whatsoever. Simply looking others in the eye and being sincere can go a long way.
 kj521
Msg: 73
do woman mind if you aproach them to say hi in a supermarket?
Posted: 1/5/2016 1:06:57 PM
Well Mr. Slaffa...to be fair...being friendly and making lots of eye contact does have its' downside, too.

I get approached quite regularly by homeless individuals. :/

And....I usually don't have any money on me...so then I have to go on to explain that I have teenagers that can smell when I have cash and they always need money for this or that dire emergency leaving me pennyless. This leads to a 20 min convo about our individual woes in life which then makes me late to wherever I was going which leads to a lengthy explanation of my lateness. :/

So maybe don't make eye contact if you have to be somewhere or just run late all time like I do and convince yourself that everyone else is just early. :)

Seriously, just enjoy the moments and the people you are blessed to cross paths with. :D
Posted: 1/5/2016 4:19:20 PM
Hey lady, you got a dollar you can spare? Maybe just some change then? "God Bless!"
 kj521
Msg: 75
Posted: 1/6/2016 10:37:35 AM
Haha! Mr. Drinks. You are so very funny! (said with a smirk)

But for you dear, I could probably find some change at the bottom of my purse.

Oooh! Even better...

I have a 2 for 1 Dunkin Donuts coffee coupon. I'll let you have the free one. ***bats eyelashes*** :D
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 76
Posted: 1/6/2016 3:41:05 PM

Hey lady, you got a dollar you can spare? Maybe just some change then? "God Bless!"

usually said in more of a mumble sometimes with the implied violence of one says no, as icing..

hayyladdyyy gotdollahspare?sumchange?
"Gobless!"
 Maleman999
Msg: 77
Posted: 1/8/2016 1:19:33 PM
^^^That wouldn't work in the supermarket where I usually shop. At that store, there's almost always a guy by the main entrance who is playing the guitar and looking for donations. Sometimes, there's a guy playing the fiddle who also has his case open, looking for money. So a guy would have to provide entertainment or have a shtick to get a woman to notice him at the supermarket.
Posted: 1/8/2016 4:55:58 PM
^ That's easy, get a mouth harp and join the other guy, while dancing around the woman. Then strike up conversation. I got one, and can jam it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CBxavYcgKg
 hawkins-kennedy
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Do women mind if you aproach them to say hi in a supermarket?
Posted: 2/20/2016 12:52:46 AM

This allows you to quote a previous post.

I am from Seattle I have to say that the city is known for being cold to one another, it's really hard to start up conversations with people in public places. They even have given this tendency for Seattlites to be stand offish a name, it's called the "the seattle freeze" around here. I have had female friends recount events where they said "oh my god, and than he talked to me and it was so creepy" or "this guy keeps on looking at me and it's so creepy" or "I think this guy is following me around and it's so creepy". I understand that being assaulted is a legit concern, especially for women, but most of the time it seems like these girls are just jumping to conclusions that some guy is all into them and it's likely not even the case. And why is it so creepy to just say Hi to someone? it's a pretty innocent gesture of friendliness to one another and many times doesn't denote any type of romantic interest but just courtesy.
 ginghamgal
Msg: 80
Posted: 2/20/2016 10:40:37 AM

Well put yourself in her place;
You are shopping all alone, when some geezer shows up on you with a grin to say "hello" without knowing if you are A) already married or in a relationship, B) straight or gay, C) or what frame of mind you are in that day.

Likewise, she doesn't know you from a glob of snot,
and thus to her you could very well be some loon who forgot to take his pills that day,
or even a serial killer warming up to her for the possible chance of slitting her throat in some secluded location.

That's being overdramatic. I'm not going to think someone is a possible serial killer just because he said "Hi".
 south_city
Msg: 81
Posted: 2/20/2016 10:53:28 AM

I have had female friends recount events where they said "oh my god, and than he talked to me and it was so creepy" or "this guy keeps on looking at me and it's so creepy" or "I think this guy is following me around and it's so creepy"...

Some people are extremely paranoid and make mountains out of molehills.
 Dallasroadie
Msg: 82
Posted: 2/22/2016 12:17:01 PM
I would find friends who weren't so paranoid and "creepy". When did we get this way? I grew up in a small community and everyone said hello to everyone. I have maintained this attitude, I talk to everyone. I know it sounds simple but a stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.
 ForeverTexas25
Msg: 83
Posted: 3/6/2016 1:57:53 AM
I wouldn't mind that at all! I don't really go out to pubs or anything like that, so I think it's great when men approach me at the store, while I'm getting gas, in libraries, at the gym, and things like that. I would just advise to have a little something to say besides just hi. Strike up a conversation, or ask her opinion on a product she's buying or something. Good luck! :)
 mgepetto
Msg: 84
Posted: 5/19/2016 5:01:22 PM
Even though millions of men died in vain fighting in wars. You will still get the cold shoulder by many women and will be told its creepy. There's nothing wrong with wanting to approach a woman. There's nothing wrong with being male. I'm on your side even if no one else is.
 kalasmontreal
Msg: 85
Posted: 5/21/2016 4:31:10 PM
Depends where, in Mexico and the USA I had success doing this, not so much in Canada haha
 ikeptthetie
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 5/22/2016 5:16:27 AM
Shopping for food in a grocery store? I would probably say something like:

"Oh, you like product xyz? Yum that stuff is good! *smile*. Hey, I find you attractive and I want to ask you out for coffee. Give me your number."

The end. Get to the point. Make your move. At the same time, you have to know where you stand among women. Pretty girls flirt with me or try to pick me up several times a year, so I know I am quite attractive and am not afraid to do this. But its also hit and miss because you know nothing about them and you could be in completely different stages of life. POF at least narrows your targets.
 A6K
Msg: 87
Posted: 5/22/2016 9:21:01 AM
I would only do so if a woman gave some kind of indication she wanted you to say hi, otherwise I would leave her alone.
 Nestaron
Msg: 88
Posted: 12/29/2016 12:38:20 PM
The next greatest pick up line in the supermarket. Going up to women and actually asking them do you mind if I pick you up in a supermarket. I wish I thought of it, could have saved all those other funny lines I came up with. Next time I am at the supermarket I am asking just cause I like the idea. I will throw in the it's not to invasive is it. :)
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > do woman mind if you aproach them to say hi in a supermarket?