Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Income factor when dating women. Is money really an issue?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 kj521
Msg: 26
Income factor when dating women. Is money really an issue?Page 2 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
"Everyone deserves emotional support in their lives. "

Who told you this ?

They lied. The sense of entitlement is astounding! Yikes!

++note to self...qualify "You're so special" with "to me" when speaking to my children. :)
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 27
Income factor when dating women. Is money really an issue?
Posted: 11/3/2015 12:30:45 PM

More so in the US and the Western world.

Hundreds of millions of people in the world, mostly in Asia and Africa, live on US $1.90 or less per day- the World Bank benchmark for extreme poverty- and still they manage to have relationships and marriages and families. Not at the same standard of living level as the US, of course, but they still manage to make it work for themselves without having all the extras.
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 28
Posted: 11/3/2015 1:03:27 PM
Is money a factor? Yes and no.
A friend of mine has a lot of money and he throws it around women. He practically buys them to be his arm candy. So he finds himself around all the materialistic women you can imagine. I in the other hand, never threw money at women, bought them drinks, and even though I paid for the restaurants we went to, they usually bought drinks. The women I dated had dated before men with a lot of money, and did not care. To them money was not what was important. But there's a caveat to that. If you're a dead beat dude that lives with your parents, of course many of even the not so materialistic women are going to say eeehhh. But if you have a job, a car, and a somehow outgoing lifestyle and ambition many women will go for it.
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 29
Posted: 11/3/2015 1:32:53 PM
Maleman: Stay at home mothers don’t “live off” their husbands; they’re raising his children and taking care of his home.

Now as I talk to my female penpal in Paris they tell me that in France money should really be the lowest issue when choosing someone.

Your female penpal is more than one person? If not, she is a “she,” not “they.”

Or maybe she speaks for the entire French population of what “should” matter when choosing a partner. Anyway that is just a stupid comment as is the American women are only about money…..because…..you don’t have any! What a weird coincidence! I guess if you were short/tall/thin/fat that would be the shallow criteria women would be judging you by, thus, you are womanless. It couldn’t possibly be because of anything you have any control over and could change. THEY all need to change to pander to you.

I have no interest in marriage or kids and many of the women I've met are at the divorce phaze of their lives? Why are you condecending to me about what my wants should be?

OMG…..YOU are the one trying to shame women into dating your broke azz, because “money should be the lowest issue blah blah blah for all women everywhere, including France, amen.”

So you get to make the rules of what women should want, as long as it includes you, sure! What a hypocrite. :/
 2ufo
Msg: 30
Posted: 11/3/2015 5:32:15 PM

Hundreds of millions of people in the world, mostly in Asia and Africa, live on US $1.90 or less per day- the World Bank benchmark for extreme poverty- and still they manage to have relationships and marriages and families. Not at the same standard of living level as the US, of course, but they still manage to make it work for themselves without having all the extras.

Besides a different standard of living, they may also have a very different social structure. Perhaps the entire extended family lives in one house - brothers, sisters, in-laws, great aunts and their spouses and children. Perhaps theirs is a culture of arranged marriages or marrying within their extended family. It's difficult to say money is or is not the main issue in the west as compared to other cultures because there are far too many differences to make the comparison invalid.

I believe most women wish an equal partner. I don't want someone with so little money that he has no real future nor do I want someone with so much money that he assumes I'll do whatever he wants on his timetable.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 31
Posted: 11/3/2015 6:36:30 PM
Fester Addams- You ask SUCH a broad question, when there are SO many different types of people.
SOME will care about how much money you make, some won't.
That's REALITY.
Let me ask you THIS..........
Turn the tables, there is someone, right now on another forum, asking of it's ok if she is UNEMPLOYED.
Would you date her?
 Chromis1
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2015 6:41:03 PM

money should be the lowest issue blah blah blah for all women everywhere, including France, amen

Haha, wish I had come up with this first.
 Fester_Addams
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2015 7:09:56 PM
Yes I would. Believe it or not men don't care nearly as much how much money women make. Few people are permanently unemployed so it wouldn't concern me. If we have much in common I don't care how large or little our living situation is.
 Fester_Addams
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2015 8:11:35 PM
http://omgchronicles.vickilarson.com/2013/10/08/hes-broke-youre-not-do-you-date-him/
 bamagrl68
Msg: 35
Posted: 11/3/2015 8:16:00 PM
Fester Addams- Well, then, no worries.
Find someone who doesn't worry about how much you make.
They ARE out there.
OLD is harsh, I've said that MANY times.
You are what you are, somewhere there is a lid for your pot.
Just DON'T make the mistake of ONLY looking for her online.
OLD is but ONE tool to meet someone.
I understand your frustration, better than you think.
You are working TWO jobs, it's not like you aren't trying.
Dates DON'T have to be expensive.
There's picnicking, sight seeing, walking on the beach, in a park.
There ARE women who appreciate such things.
There is SO much talk about mars and Venus, as if the two are diametrically opposed.
Are there women out there who expect you to wine and dine them, who only find value in your wallet?
Sure there are.
Are there women who just want you to be honest, to listen, who appreciate you for who you are, sure there are.
Find the latter, let the rest fall away, they eliminated themselves for you, didn't they?
 Strings6
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 11/4/2015 3:23:41 AM
This question has been ask before and treated as if women being interested in money is either a myth or extremely rare,well like all things it depends on the person....some are and some are not,there is sufficient eveidence to suggest that SOME women in fact do consider money above all things whether they have any or not and regardless of how they got it.

There is still enough left of the old society we used to have where men are expected to have the lions share of the money,that like everything else is changing.
 hemingway234
Msg: 37
Posted: 11/4/2015 3:42:49 AM
All most women who do that are doing, is trying to find someone better than them - if you find someone better than yourself, you'll have a lot less problems. I say, more power to them. They'd better be drop dead gorgeous though.

However, some are golddiggers - if they are looking for money without love - they suc. Scratch that - they won't!

Welcome to the greatest cat-and-mouse game on earth, dating.
 castlehillsmile
Msg: 38
Posted: 11/8/2015 4:52:52 PM
^^^ If you want 50:50 that also means you each pay half.

If the woman has spare money and the man does not then she is paying for everything.
When I have done that it gets tiresome very quickly.
50:50 is great.

So perhaps we should ask for a full financial audit before agreeing to a date?
As well as a full medical ?

Sheesh.
We would never get out of the house. Just stay on here and type.
 carolann0308
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2015 6:00:53 PM
You're 34, so when exactly is your 'potential' supposed to kick in? Are you going to school or doing anything to secure your future? You are at the prime time in your life to be earning money and putting away for a rainy day. So why aren't you?

Your friend in France is living in a country where waiters, bartenders and hairdressers don't rely on tips or have to worry about choosing to go to the Dr or buy groceries that week. American women are not heartless but have to be realistic. An adult does not want to risk their own well being because their partner failed to launch.
The biggest concern for any person working their ass off at two menial jobs is that in a few years they will be unable to keep up that sort of pace. What happens when you are 50 or 60 and have no savings, health insurance or stability? Living hand to mouth or being a starving artist in your 20's may be a kick, but eventually you have to plan for the future. I don't expect anyone to do any more than hold up their end. But who takes care of you when you can no longer care for yourself and have no money to pay for assistance?
 castlehillsmile
Msg: 40
Posted: 11/8/2015 6:21:50 PM
^^ Agreed.

Many women in their 30's are wanting to settle down and raise a family.
That often means they want their husband to be able to provide for that family whilst she is not working.
Not all women, but most.

I know women who have high salaries and so the husband becomes the primary carer of home and children.
Some of these women have only taken a few weeks off work around the birth.
Perhaps go looking for very wealthy career women.
e.g. The Intern - the recent movie. Wife is a high flier. Husband gave up his career to take care of the home and children.

Yep. Money makes the world go around.
It cannot buy you happiness but being old and rich is much better than old and poor.
Young and poor??? Nearly all of us have been there.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2015 8:44:36 PM
a stay at home mother has a job, a very important one. Maleman, where on earth do you get the idea that it is comparable situation to the unemployed man who prefers to be on welfare, for instance???. If he is home taking care of the kids and the house whilst the partner goes out to work, he still has a job. Just like the stay at home mother you cite.

Actually I think that money or the right use of it, can make us happy.
'
 south_city
Msg: 42
Posted: 11/9/2015 6:47:20 AM
For some women, money is important. They might date men that don't have much else going for them because of money. On another dating site that I used, a person can list the amount of income that they want from their partner. Some women will put 50k or 100k or whatever amount is about equal or greater than what they earn. While other women won't care about money as much. Provided that a man is able to support himself.
 PennyAnte
Msg: 43
Posted: 11/9/2015 6:53:59 AM
I don't know. Are you ugly? Stupid? Irresponsible? Careless or thoughtless? Do you treat woman with disdain and put them into categories? Do you have a Madonna/whore complex? Truly Money is nothing if you are an a$$hole.
 five-marie
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2015 7:40:54 AM
Age is a big factor. When two young people meet their lives are full of possibilities/dreams/goals. If they married and one never reached his/her potential I'm pretty sure that would not break up the marriage.
When over 30 does living below the poverty level matter? Sure it does. So do health problems. Doesn't mean people are wrong for not wanting to start a relationship with someone who has issues. I'm almost 60 and money means very little to me but I've already had my children, bought my home. (Not a gift from an ex).
As long as a man can contribute his half I'm happy.
This is no different from all the other threads lamenting that no one wants me because "I'm too fat/too poor/don't drive/too ugly/too nice/etc.
Everything is a factor when meeting at stranger because we are using our heads and not our hearts.
 Vannili
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2015 12:25:54 PM
south_ city

For some women, money is important. [//quote]

Money is important for both gender. I wonder how they can survive without money (job) ?? Oh Yeah , bartering might work ,he can barter me his Zuchinni and I can barter my a pair of Apples and a lovely pumpkin..

PS.LOL
 south_city
Msg: 46
Posted: 11/10/2015 7:26:20 PM

Money is important for both gender. I wonder how they can survive without money (job) ?? Oh Yeah , bartering might work ,he can barter me his Zuchinni and I can barter my a pair of Apples and a lovely pumpkin..

You didn't quote my entire post. I also included "while other women won't care about money as much. Provided that a man is able to support himself". My point was the degree that women care about money will vary.
 bigal80ak2
Msg: 47
Posted: 11/14/2015 5:02:46 PM
although I agree we all have our different values and things prize before others. Things like looks and money generally mean a quite a bit in dating. Good looking and rich people tend to stick together see musicians, actors, athletes so and so.
 rockstartrucker82
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 11/26/2015 9:50:37 AM

I believe most women wish an equal partner. I don't want someone with so little money that he has no real future nor do I want someone with so much money that he assumes I'll do whatever he wants on his timetable.

I'm not sure equal is the right word. I think there's a huge push for status... like dating has become a fashion accessory.

If you dig up the thread about using a coupon on a date, it really puts a big perspective on how important money is. Not the ability to be responsible and afford to live, but the ability to spend it.
 Like2dance
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 11/26/2015 9:56:20 AM
Women find men apparently having resources/high socioeconomic status appealing. The same men apparently without resources or high socioeconomic standing they find unappealing. Research has shown this to be true.
 ohenryx
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 11/26/2015 7:52:27 PM

rockstartrucker82
I'm not sure equal is the right word. I think there's a huge push for status... like dating has become a fashion accessory.

If you dig up the thread about using a coupon on a date, it really puts a big perspective on how important money is. Not the ability to be responsible and afford to live, but the ability to spend it.

I remember that thread. It was eye opening. Hell, I’ll go further than that. I was shocked, absolutely dismayed. I am not a “coupon queen”, I very seldom have or use coupons, but I have never seen anything wrong with coupons. And the number of people who thought that using a coupon on a date was a “bad thing”, well …

And it wasn’t just the women saying to never use coupons when on a date, the men were agreeing.

I’m not so sure that this is as true IRL (in real life) as it appears to be in the forums. When out on dates, I have had women offer coupons to save me money on the things I was buying (theater admission, meals, etc).

Some of the things that get said here in the forums (even when many are agreeing), just don’t seem to be true in the real world. Shocking, I know.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Income factor when dating women. Is money really an issue?