Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Income factor when dating women. Is money really an issue?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Income factor when dating women. Is money really an issue?Page 3 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
clooneys

Sure you can have sex with a 10 for around $200, I guess. But women can have sex without paying out that sum of money and even get dinner bought into the bargain.... If they are attractive, with a 10.

I don't agree that a woman wants more than she already has, if you are talking assets and money. She may not just want the guy to take what she already has.

I also agree that a guy who produces a coupon on a date is just being crass and gives an impression of either poverty or meanness.
 Lasthookbringsme
Msg: 52
Income factor when dating women. Is money really an issue?
Posted: 11/27/2015 2:49:09 AM
One man told me it's a 'dating kiss of death,' if his date offers a coupon. If he asks her out, it's because _he_ wants to fully treat her to the things she enjoys. Coupons, in this situation, severely limit that, he furthered added.
 Lasthookbringsme
Msg: 53
Posted: 11/27/2015 2:57:21 AM

I'm not sure equal is the right word. I think there's a huge push for status... like dating has become a fashion accessory.

People use the word equality with equitability, interchangeably.

People are "fashion accessories," the glittery, glitzy people that are subject to consumption by the purveyors of such.

The ability to save a buck also gives a person the room to spend on something or someone he likes.
 youandgo34
Msg: 54
Posted: 11/27/2015 6:36:21 AM
Lol. Now coupons are a deal breaker. Making so much over so little here.
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 55
Posted: 11/27/2015 7:16:12 AM
Message #54

Some of the things that get said here in the forums (even when many are agreeing), just don’t seem to be true in the real world. Shocking, I know.

I agree. Some people take everything discussed here in the forums as gospel.
 Maleman999
Msg: 56
Posted: 11/27/2015 8:50:34 AM

Msg 55:
I also agree that a guy who produces a coupon on a date is just being crass and gives an impression of either poverty or meanness.

That's a new one-any guy using a coupon could be a sign of meanness-or a sign of living in poverty. When I go grocery shopping, I see a lot of women using coupons. Is that a sign that those women could be mean or living in poverty or both? Is it a bad sign if someone buys something on sale? If a guy is using a coupon, how much is the woman pitching in to pay the bill? If a woman doesn't pay for her meal and drinks, does that give the impression that she could be mean or living in poverty?

If a women was to invite a guy on a date and offered to pay, I doubt any guy would be offended if the woman pulled out a coupon when the bill came, and guys would not dream up totally crazy theories of what that actually means. The safest way for women to date is for her to pay for her own meal and drinks every time, to prevent the chance of a guy paying for her food and drinks by using a coupon, since it's such a horrible crime against humanity.
 spot4username
Msg: 57
Posted: 11/27/2015 9:07:55 AM
^^
I completely agree.

Msg 55:

Meanness? Mean to use a coupon? That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read here and that is saying a lot.
 Maleman999
Msg: 58
Posted: 11/27/2015 10:47:35 AM
Do you find it tacky because you feel you're worth full price? There's nothing stopping from saying "Put away the coupon. I'll pay the difference."
 2ufo
Msg: 59
Posted: 11/27/2015 12:17:11 PM
Hi RsT,

Nice to see you back.

I believe most women wish an equal partner. I don't want someone with so little money that he has no real future nor do I want someone with so much money that he assumes I'll do whatever he wants on his timetable.

I'm not sure equal is the right word. I think there's a huge push for status... like dating has become a fashion accessory.

If you dig up the thread about using a coupon on a date, it really puts a big perspective on how important money is. Not the ability to be responsible and afford to live, but the ability to spend it.

Equal or equitable is want I want. Maybe he doesn't have exactly as much money as I; maybe a bit more or a bit less. It's not as if I'm going to ask him to lay out his bank account, credit and debit sheet, or anything of that nature. I don't need to know how much money he has because I'm more concerned about his attitude and treatment of people (me in particular).

Maybe you (the general population 'you') are asking for status in some form or another. For me, money is just a tool, not a status sign. I've noticed that people with vastly more money than me have a very bad 'entitlement' attitude towards my time and very little respect for my timetable or desires. They don't ask, they assume. People with vastly less money have an 'entitlement' attitude of either 'you have the money so you pay' or 'you have the money so you make the decisions'. Neither is the equitable, free-conversing, compromise about mutual decisions, compatibility that I am looking for.

Coupons? Yeah, I saw that thread and thought it was terribly hilarious and wondered how serious those people were. If I have the coupon, I'll use it. If he has the coupon, then he should use it. Although, I think tipping at restaurants should be based on the pre-coupon price.

Money by itself is not a measure of my worth or self-esteem; but being able to take care of myself, my family, and my future IS part of my self-esteem - whether though having money or having skills to fix things or having skills to make money.

ILove2Laugh

I agree. Some people take everything discussed here in the forums as gospel.

Not me, I take everything discussed as gossip.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 60
Posted: 11/27/2015 3:15:20 PM
Does nobody here know that meanness can also mean cheap?

Reminds me of Winston Churchill's line that Americans are divided from the rest of the English speaking world by a common language.
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 61
Posted: 11/27/2015 3:18:56 PM
There are plenty of opportunities to save a buck when out by yourself. Using a coupon on a DATE (not a “meet”) makes an impression of a thoughtless cheapskate…not a good impression. Like wearing holey jeans and a dirty T-shirt to a wedding. It’s a matter of knowing what is appropriate. IMO

Not seeing how that reality is “shocking.”
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2015 10:26:40 PM
wednsday
It is all very well to say that "gold diggers "want the high income person but living with very little money is a strain on relationships and finances are often the cause of break ups. It is the ones with least to offer that cry "gold digger" it seems to me.

There is no virtue in being poor and life is better when you have money and pretty darn awful if you don' t. Let us get real here.

kj
like the old cliché, "there is someone for everyone" crap and "you will find someone special one day".
 Walts
Msg: 63
Posted: 11/28/2015 5:40:45 AM
I've read, somewhere, that not only are men suppose to be rich, we also have to be handsome.

I'm phucked.

And not in the good way.
 Maleman999
Msg: 64
Posted: 11/28/2015 6:38:22 AM

like the old cliché, "there is someone for everyone" crap and "you will find someone special one day".

The trick is, will I want that someone, or will that someone special want me? The other part of the cliche is "When you're not expecting it." Anytime I go anywhere, I'm not expecting to meet The One. So why haven't I met that special someone?
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 65
Posted: 11/28/2015 8:58:17 AM

Saving money=mean.
Saving money=crass.

Bizarre.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 66
Posted: 11/28/2015 9:17:57 AM
Okay. One more time.

Saving money = mean.

Yes it does. By definition. Someone who is mean is someone who likes to save money. Even if it's not in common usage in the States, it's still a valid definition of the word. And in common usage in the English speaking world.
 spot4username
Msg: 67
Posted: 11/28/2015 11:26:14 AM
^^^

Yes. I get that. Given the context of the comment it is shown as a negative. Not sure why saving money would be lumped in with being crass.

I guess it just doesn't make sense to an uneducated pauper such as myself.
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 68
Posted: 11/28/2015 11:54:01 AM
It’s not about “saving money” on a DATE. Maybe a person shouldn’t be dating if s/he can’t afford to.

There’s no need to invent a disingenuous statement just because you disagree.
 Maleman999
Msg: 69
Posted: 11/28/2015 12:03:33 PM
^^^Why do you keep equating coupons with poverty and being broke? A lot of people who use coupons are well to do and can afford to pay full price, but choose not to. If a guy shows up in a $100,000 sports car, dressed in expensive looking clothes, and uses a coupon, are you going to assume he's flat broke and penniless, and is living in a cardboard box under a bridge? If you're not paying the bill. why do you care?
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 70
Posted: 11/28/2015 12:20:01 PM
If you’re addressing me and my post….. I wasn’t “equating coupons with poverty and being broke”; I was responding to the

Saving money=mean.
Saving money=crass.

mantra.

Sorry if that wasn’t clear.

Why is that poster equating dating with saving money? Any place that accepts coupons is a place a guy can go alone….use the coupon then, or with a guy buddy.

vvvvvvvvvv

AGAIN……. I was responding to the guy claiming he’s “saving money” using coupons on dates. That sounds like a financial issue he’s having which can be easily solved by not dating.

Please stop putting words in my mouth.
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 71
Posted: 11/28/2015 12:20:51 PM

Maybe a person shouldn’t be dating if s/he can’t afford to.

I feel that financial wealth is relative. Impoverished people can't date? Silliness. Helps to date someone in a similar income bracket though, I'm thinking.
 spot4username
Msg: 72
Posted: 11/28/2015 12:52:59 PM

I feel that financial wealth is relative. Impoverished people can't date? Silliness. Helps to date someone in a similar income bracket though, I'm thinking.

I would have never had a date and would never date again if being impoverished means I am not allowed to date.

I make it crystal clear to men how poor I am. I do not sugar coat it.

I also make it clear that I can only pay for myself and only for very low cost activities every now and again. Lots of things are free. I like to take advantage of art walks and the such. Walks on the beach are free and doable where I live. So are bike rides and walking around the historic district. I have no problem if my date wants to save money by using a coupon. If I have a way for us to save money I will always offer it up.

Do all you coupons are crass people turn your noses up at happy hour? After all riffraff such as myself may be having a reduced price drink an noshing on the free hors d'oeuvres cause it's cheap and stuff.
 rockstartrucker82
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2015 6:56:16 AM

^^^Why do you keep equating coupons with poverty and being broke? A lot of people who use coupons are well to do and can afford to pay full price, but choose not to. If a guy shows up in a $100,000 sports car, dressed in expensive looking clothes, and uses a coupon, are you going to assume he's flat broke and penniless, and is living in a cardboard box under a bridge? If you're not paying the bill. why do you care?

Because of exactly what I said, it's all about the image that it gives. It doesn't matter if he can pay for her or not, that's not the issue. It's that using a coupon looks like you save money rather than spend money.

None of this is about being responsible with money, or about being able to afford to date or not. It's judging the guy based on his ability to spend money ON HER. That $100,000 car and expensive clothes mean nothing at all if these girls aren't wearing diamonds that the guy bought them. If he uses a coupon, he clearly doesn't needlessly spend, so she's not going to have things to brag to her friends about.

It's just being a gold digger. It's all about his money.

I really don't want to believe that most girls are like this, I really think most really couldn't care less how you paid, or if you split the bill. But these forums... something is wrong with here.
 a_djentleman
Msg: 74
Posted: 11/30/2015 9:35:48 AM
I got way more dates back when I was broke. Now that I'm close to six figures, nada.¯\(°_o)/¯
 2ufo
Msg: 75
Posted: 11/30/2015 2:10:29 PM

There are plenty of opportunities to save a buck when out by yourself. Using a coupon on a DATE (not a “meet”) makes an impression of a thoughtless cheapskate…not a good impression. Like wearing holey jeans and a dirty T-shirt to a wedding. It’s a matter of knowing what is appropriate. IMO

I disagree.

I have no problems with a guy using coupons and it strikes me as a person who doesn't spend money carelessly. It tells me the person is careful and keeps track of his/her money. And, knowing how much money you have always appropriate - no matter if it's a lot of money or a little.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Income factor when dating women. Is money really an issue?