Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Income factor when dating women. Is money really an issue?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Like2dance
Msg: 201
view profile
History
Income factor when dating women. Is money really an issue?Page 9 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
For evolutionary reasons it is natural for women to be drawn to mate with physically appealing, athletic, wealthy, politically powerful, and/or charismatic (rock star) men.
 a_djentleman
Msg: 202
Income factor when dating women. Is money really an issue?
Posted: 2/4/2016 10:04:36 AM
^
And we're back to playing evo psych bullshit bingo...
 ohenryx
Msg: 203
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2016 10:05:40 AM

vividbluefishies
the fact that i'm not a 'professional' with a vast financial portfolio has turned away more than a couple of men. i guess they figure i'm looking for a meal ticket or similar. of course, they don't come right out and say it - they ask a lot of questions relating to it, dance all around it, then disappear when they realize i'm not 'set for retirement'.

Looking at your profile, you are 55 years old. Assuming that you are dating men your age and a little older, they are going to be thinking about retirement. With your intent set to “long term”, any man looking for long term is probably not going to want a woman who doesn’t have a pension or a 401k or some means of providing for her retirement.

Now you are very attractive, if you weren’t a good 2,000 miles away I would be very happy to date you, wine and dine you, take you out dancing, exercise my highly evolved seduction skills. But settle down, and share my hard earned retirement with someone who didn’t have the foresight to set aside something – not so much.

Perhaps you should think about dating younger men, men who don’t have retirement on their mind? As pretty as you are, you could easily do that. Or maybe just ease up on that whole ”I am not interested in casual dating” thing.
 Nth_degree1111
Msg: 204
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2016 10:20:32 AM

But settle down, and share my hard earned retirement with someone who didn’t have the foresight to set aside something – not so much.

For some, it's not that they didn't have the foresight, but the opportunity. I myself am okay but don't own a house or have great savings and I've been discarded for it. Some people are more interested in being a power couple than love. (not you Henry. I enjoy your posts)
 showboatsupreme
Msg: 205
Posted: 2/4/2016 11:34:39 AM
^^^
You got that right.

I actually wouldn't mind being a meal ticket to someone that loved me, but when someone is starving and doesn't think my steak and eggs is enough, they can pack sand.
 flaneur001
Msg: 206
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2016 12:06:11 PM
vividbluefishies
i have a rather low paying job, but it's one that i love and it pays my bills. the fact that i'm not a 'professional' with a vast financial portfolio has turned away more than a couple of men. i guess they figure i'm looking for a meal ticket or similar. of course, they don't come right out and say it - they ask a lot of questions relating to it, dance all around it, then disappear when they realize i'm not 'set for retirement'.

for many people who have a solid financial footing, there is a greater possibility of retiring early (i.e.. 55). Someone who is retired would prefer to be with someone who is also semi retired/retired. It allows for more compatibility in lifestyle issues.
 2ufo
Msg: 207
Posted: 2/4/2016 2:44:51 PM

For evolutionary reasons it is natural for women to be drawn to mate with physically appealing, athletic, wealthy, politically powerful, and/or charismatic (rock star) men.

I'm not dating (or having sex) for evolutionary reasons; I'm doing so because it's fun and enjoyable and may lead to a long-term relationship. My life is too short to date for evolution.
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 208
Posted: 2/4/2016 3:02:06 PM
^^^^^ All of that criteria are totally subjective, anyway. I know I am not attracted to belligerent political types and hardly consider rock stars “charismatic.” “Athletic” tennis players are built very differently than “athletic” football players. And “physically appealing”?? come on!

Does evolution evolve according to tastes?

That statement must have been written by a man with no clue about women. :/

My life is too short to date for evolution.

Yeah right? how friggin long does evolution take?!
 Ouija2025
Msg: 209
Posted: 2/4/2016 3:10:21 PM
^^ given wearing pajama bottoms in Public and naming offspring after fruit or with 4 extra Es at the end
I'd wager 4 years!
Now if we were mating to evolve then I'd think cross species way to go.
Of course cauliflower for $7 probably one of the 7 signs and we should just stay hooked up with the next person we date.
 2ufo
Msg: 210
Posted: 2/4/2016 3:30:43 PM

Yeah right? how friggin long does evolution take?!

More than one generation...
I'm pretty sure.
 gtomustang
Msg: 211
Posted: 2/4/2016 4:01:10 PM
while caretaking for my parents I worked a job that wasn't glamourous, but it filled my needs then. Was it one of the reasons the ladies weren't beating a path to my door? Perhaps. My boss at the time, his wife the accountant wasn't thrilled he had his job either. not much status for her white collar friends. For those whom it is important, it is important.

I suspect for many, we want someone who is stable in life. the easiest, quickest measure is, what do they do for a living? otherwise we need to spend a few years to see if they are going to be a drag or a sponge somewhere in life. (of course, should they end up with some horrid disease, they might have no choice)
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 212
Posted: 2/4/2016 4:02:37 PM

so you see, you assume and make judgements, and they're wrong.

Well, that IS a popular pastime around here.

I think a lot of people should list in their "Interests" section.

i shouldn't have to date younger than my age just because i don't make hundreds of thousands of dollars per year. that's ridiculous.

It IS ridiculous.

You should only date men younger than your age because they are actually quality human beings.
 hawkins-kennedy
Msg: 213
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2016 11:59:18 PM
I think you guys are misunderstanding what is meant by evolution's influence in real time dating and relationships. The concept is speaking to biological and unconscious drives that people have, not conscious decisions made. I entirely agree that none of us are thinking about life rising from primordial ooze and propagation of the species when we are making our dating choices. It's a valid consideration that we are acting on impulses who's origin is unknown to us and may be serving a purpose, that purpose being self preservation and propagation. Why is the stereotypical older guy attracted to the pretty young woman? why is the woman attracted to the socially skilled guy? Could be biological/evolutionary drives at play. I just wanted to clarify.
 gtomustang
Msg: 214
Posted: 2/20/2016 6:35:22 AM
silly tangential question...there's a ton of posts lately about how much a guy should pay on a date. is it b/c its wintertime in many places, so the dates are indoors now (which usually includes some cost to pay the building owner for the heat) instead of walking in a park or on a beach or something else not so expensive?

it just kinda struck me that we're discussing this same point in different places this week....
 swampyswampy
Msg: 215
Posted: 2/20/2016 7:01:55 AM
ive often been called a loser cus of my low income even though im a lone parent women can get away with it but us men cant feminists want the best of both worlds
 crook_catcher
Msg: 216
Posted: 2/20/2016 7:22:41 AM

I've often been called a loser cus of my low income even though im a lone parent women can get away with it but us men cant feminists want the best of both worlds.

Really? Exactly how many times have you been called a loser?

Or are you assuming that their lack of dating interests equates to you being a "loser"?

Tough enough under the best of circumstances in OLD let alone being a single father with moderate income. :/
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 217
Posted: 2/20/2016 7:29:54 AM
Yes..Pablo Escobar was a winner in the dating world..plenty of beautiful women..as was El Chapo Guzman..his sons still are, as is any person with plenty of money, regardless of how obtained .

if El Chapo put a profile on POF, there'd doubtless be thousands of women falling over themselves to get with him.
 swampyswampy
Msg: 218
Posted: 2/20/2016 7:34:13 AM
plenty of times crook why do you doubt everything i ever say?
 cookymaker
Msg: 219
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2016 7:38:42 AM

it just kinda struck me that we're discussing this same point in different places this week....

I was thinking the same thing. Must be at least 4 post with just the slightest twist but bringing up the same topic.
Who pays?
On-line dating has changed that quite a bit. I have noticed that the responses also seems to vary depending on the age of the poster
Go back to the 70s when some of us started dating. There was no on-line. Maybe you met at a dance, in school, at work.. out walking your dog or running in a park. Often a party. So the first time you went out together - it was NOT a meetup. It was a date. You already had the meetup when you clicked at the dance/party. For Free
But the first 70's date was different. Guy gets number. Guy calls girl "Would you like to see a movie on Friday?" Guy pays. If there was that spark - then it switched to sometimes alternating who paid. But even then, most guys felt like they should. I would offer even back then because darn it, I wanted to see that movie so I will treat. Nope.. it was a no go with most of them.

Times have changed - obviously.
And it is NOT ABOUT THE MONEY.
 crook_catcher
Msg: 220
Posted: 2/20/2016 7:39:53 AM

if El Chapo put a profile on POF, there'd doubtless be thousands of women falling over themselves to get with him.

BUT! Would he demand that they go dutch during a first meet at visitation?
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 221
Posted: 2/20/2016 7:44:48 AM
^^

No, I am sure he'd pay..only thing is he might demand a background check to try to determine whether she is undercover DEA or Federale.

maybe a bunch of guys with AK 47 s standing by..
 dragonbytes
Msg: 222
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2016 7:47:53 AM
It certainly helps in dating to have more money than average, but there is something I think a lot of men on POF overlook.

You actually have to spend the money, not just have it.
 crook_catcher
Msg: 223
Posted: 2/20/2016 7:55:01 AM

plenty of times crook why do you doubt everything i ever say?

Hmm....don't recall ever doubting you before. Different user name? But I digress....having dealt with countless domestic situations over the years I've never seen people that upon initial interaction with someone else would without some emotional provocation refer to someone as a loser. Especially just for the fact they were a single dad with limited income. Are there any other issues not revealed that would necessitate someone calling you a loser? In the context of what you're describing the use of the word loser it seems almost insulting and derogatory in nature which doesn't seem normal for initial interaction on a dating level.

But if that's what you're experiencing I'd have to question why.

Good luck to you.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 224
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2016 9:30:30 AM

ive often been called a loser cus of my low income even though im a lone parent women can get away with it but us men cant feminists want the best of both worlds

For the same reason that if you take kids out of the equation, it's more OK for a single gal to work to barely make ends meet VS a guy. Gals don't necessarily want a wealthy guy, but at a certain age, a guy who's a-okay financially and not having to live on a tight budget/low pay, compared to others in the arena. Whether it be due to being a parent, past hospital bills, or having to help support aging parents all while not making much money -- it puts a guy in a negative dating position, statistically.

Why do women get a "free pass" on that, generally speaking? Well, especially in big city culture, it's not a totally free pass for everyone, but yes, it's definitely more allowed. Why? For the same reason by default the guy is to be the approacher to a gal, to ask the girl out and/or pay for the first few dates, etc. In the big city it's not so hardened, and out in the country it is more hardened.

If the guy has to stretch a budget to make ends meet, it's just not impressive. Not to pay for her per se, but because a guy's a better prospect if he isn't struggling, in comparison to other guys in the arena who are. Just like women wanting a guy who's bigger physically than she, she wants a guy who at least has The Means to play the adequate role of provider if/when together -- because guys tend to have more aspirations for careers vs jobs, etc. It's what the human condition tends to.

But I'm sure there are true feminist gals out there who appreciate a guy being a lone parent, being a Good Guy, intelligent, respecting her feminist POV -- thus be more open/willing to date said guy if he was working to make ends meet and burdened being a lone parent, while she was doing just fine for herself (and likes kids).
 Marry_Me_Monroe
Msg: 225
Posted: 2/20/2016 2:34:55 PM

If the guy has to stretch a budget to make ends meet, it's just not impressive. Not to pay for her per se, but because a guy's a better prospect if he isn't struggling, in comparison to other guys in the arena who are. Just like women wanting a guy who's bigger physically than she, she wants a guy who at least has The Means to play the adequate role of provider if/when together -- because guys tend to have more aspirations for careers vs jobs, etc. It's what the human condition tends to.

In general, it seems like very few question that men want to date the most attractive woman/women they can get (as long as she isn't wicked or crazy or both) yet the fact that a woman is going to pick the most economically stable man when all other aspects of a man's character are equal among her suitors gets questioned to death!

You can't fix stupid.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Income factor when dating women. Is money really an issue?