Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Charlie Sheen Is HIV Positive      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cotter
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Charlie Sheen Is HIV PositivePage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Message 49 ...
So, if HIV can/will be eliminated -- which we're only getting closer to -- especially with the once-every-so-months-shot that's proven to even be more effective that pills-every-day -- Are you going to be happy or sad? Don't avoid the question -- seriously, answer it straight up.

*NO, I'm not a Charlie Sheen fan - lol.
I don't wish anyone any hard luck.

I don't care how many "cures" they have for all the disgusting STD's they have out there ... I see no reason to be so stupid that one wakes up with an STD.

There are those who just have to keep their "dipstick" wet and those who are all too eager to accommodate such (d1cksticks) folks. I think they should all look for each other and keep all their disgusting cooties to themselves and leave those of us alone who just want good "clean" fun.

The common cold is nothing more than a virus ... still no cure for that virus ... eh?

Just a note ... I don't like getting colds anymore than I want an STD, so I do go out of my way to avoid those pesky viruses as well.
 goldenbear60
Msg: 51
Charlie Sheen Is HIV Positive
Posted: 11/20/2015 6:58:57 AM
My son was diagnosed with HIV somewhere back in the late 90s, maybe 1996. Back then if I mentioned it to my "friends" they said "I didn't know your son was a fag". I got different friends and some information. My son was a drug user, the skid road needle in the arm drug user. Once he had the HIV diagnoses he got clean and sober. He did the drug c0cktail, ate well, exercised, went to college and met a nice girl and got engaged. After about 8 years he tested in the HIV negative category. It just meant his numbers were low or undetectable...he still had HIV. He and his fiancé practiced safer sex, she never contracted HIV. When my son drowned he was 8 years clean and sober and HIV negative (that's how his medical team termed it).

I figure for every person out there that is diagnosed with a self induced illness there is an equal amount of stupid, closed minded and ill formed people as well. I'm still waiting for the scourge of Ebola that was to run rampant through the US thanks to Obama.

Maybe this latest revelation from Charlie Sheen will kick a few butts out there and remind folks to make better choices, get tested and take care of themselves. Who knew Charlie could be used as a public service announcement to safer sex.
 OswaldSpengler
Msg: 52
"Charlie Sheen" Is HIV Positive
Posted: 11/20/2015 7:46:10 AM
My condolences , Golden.

Regarding "obola": President Sartoro was absolutely obsessed to bring his disease to our shore. He did. And 1st World ingenuity has responded. Merck has found an antibody. By Jan of 2016 , the product should pass R&D and begin to go to market. Barry knew OUR ingenuity could save his kindered. NO ONE ELSE.
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 53
Posted: 11/20/2015 8:12:22 AM
To message #51:
Thanks for sharing, and welcome back.

I remember when you shared your son story back in July. I have also met folks that got clean and their life in order after their diagnosis.

Maybe this latest revelation from Charlie Sheen will kick a few butts out there and remind folks to make better choices, get tested and take care of themselves.

With all the prevention education available, I don’t think things will change much when we have people like Amanda Bruce, a nurse nonetheless, telling everyone on national television that “it was worth it”, to have unprotected sex with him because she was in love.

In an interview on The Dr. Oz Show on Wednesday, Bruce explains to Dr. Oz that being a nurse and knowing the risks of HIV made her "not so afraid" of being intimate with Sheen. She also says the risk was worth it because she was in love with him at the time.

http://www.people.com/article/amanda-bruce-unprotected-sex-charlie-sheen-hiv
 bamagrl68
Msg: 54
Posted: 11/20/2015 3:24:05 PM
norwegianguy456- My reply was to another poster who asked a question.
There was no agenda on my part but to state facts.
If HIV can/will be eliminated-which we're only getting closer to-Are you going to be happy or sad?"
Of COURSE I would be happy if HIV could be eliminated.
As if I implied otherwise???
WTF?????

Here is a link with the facts about HIV-

https://www.aids.gov/hiv-aids-basics/just-diagnosed-with-hiv-aids/hiv-in-your-body/stages-of-hiv/
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 55
Posted: 11/20/2015 4:55:40 PM
Here's a real life medical ethics dilemma:

They've come up with a drug that greatly reduces the chances of infection. They've done two studies now where they give it to people engaged in high risk behaviour and it has been 90% effective in preventing people from contracting HIV. So much so that in both studies they've ended them early in order to give the drug to the control group.

But.....90% effective is a long way from 100%. The question is that if you make this available it will almost certainly increase the numbers of those engaging in this behaviour to the point where the percentage of infected will probably go up, not down.

edit: Sorry, that wasn't a question was it? I guess the question is, do you make it available for people who aren't protecting themselves now even though that means you'll see a ten fold increase in people engaging in unprotected sex and sharing needles?
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 56
Posted: 11/20/2015 8:18:13 PM

Message #55:
They've come up with a drug that greatly reduces the chances of infection. They've done two studies now where they give it to people engaged in high risk behaviour and it has been 90% effective in preventing people from contracting HIV. So much so that in both studies they've ended them early in order to give the drug to the control group.

But.....90% effective is a long way from 100%. The question is that if you make this available it will almost certainly increase the numbers of those engaging in this behaviour to the point where the percentage of infected will probably go up, not down.

edit: Sorry, that wasn't a question was it? I guess the question is, do you make it available for people who aren't protecting themselves now even though that means you'll see a ten fold increase in people engaging in unprotected sex and sharing needles?

Are you talking about PrEP? (Pre-exposure Prophylaxis)?

https://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/aids/general/prep/faqs.htm

I think the biggest hurdle right now is getting insurance companies to pay for it. The CDC claims that PrEP has
been shown to reduce the risk of HIV infection among adults at very high risk. I think that for the drug to be effective, the trick would be to get people to use it consistently.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 57
Posted: 11/21/2015 7:57:59 PM
halftimedad- It's not an ethics dilemma.
Taking medication they need is a compliance issue.
You can't force people to take medicine they need. (forcing medication on anyone considered competent to turn it down, as of now, is considered assault and can result in criminal charges and loss of license)
There are exceptions, in specific cases in some states, but not for HIV, that I'm aware of. (that's another thread, as far as when it is allowed to force people to take medications).
The answer, for most of us, is to be VERY careful when it comes to protection to prevent transmission of ANY STD.
You don't know what the other person may have unless you go for testing, and even then, someone CAN test negative for a while, when they are actually positive. (not just with HIV, but many std's)
Scary stuff, but being careful is all we can really do.
 gtomustang
Msg: 58
Posted: 11/22/2015 8:01:41 PM
I remember a story about Mickey Mantle allegedly getting a liver ahead of others on the list, even after his history of abusing it, due to celebrity and money. If a medical procedure/drug is expensive, I suspect the number of rich people "Getting away with something" isn't a large number. In other words, for every MM there could be a bunch of patients getting a transplant after they've followed the rules.

in theory, those who have the money, may have earned it thru inpulse control, among other things. In reality, a lot of weathy people inherit their money. But more to the point, if there are more patients out there able to afford the drug, it may go down in price as it gets made in larger batches.
 deetristate
Msg: 59
Posted: 7/6/2016 6:39:30 AM
A lawsuit was filed by a McDonald's employee fired after it was discovered that he is HIV positive. Putting aside the PC "hate McDonald's" would you want him making your food?

Even if it can't be transmitted as a cook, does a business have a right to fire someone that will cause him to lose business due to health concern reasons?
 desertsusie
Msg: 60
Posted: 7/6/2016 7:18:43 AM
I think the steady diet of Big Mac's will kill you long before an HIV employee. And, employees spit in food daily...or worse.

Businesses (like online daters) will find a reason to let you go if they want you gone. Does it make it right? No. Does it happen? Yes. As for McDonald's , I'm sure it will depend on HOW the employee was let go. And how much money they will throw at this as they have th deep pockets and deep pockets win. I don't even know if they could win this in a court of public opinion...too many homophobes out there.

Personally, I hope the employee wins. And how will Mc Donald's lose business? Did they post a sign saying "HIV employee on site"? I don't know if they can ask about your health.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2016 9:23:17 AM

A lawsuit was filed by a McDonald's employee fired after it was discovered that he is HIV positive. Putting aside the PC "hate McDonald's" would you want him making your food?

LOL - If you're talking about someone working at a store, they're not making food. They're warming it up, and applying different toppings. There's not a threat of HIV transmission at all.
 cooldog65
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2016 9:58:18 AM
^^^^^ If they're applying their own "cream sauce", it could be a problem...
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2016 10:23:28 AM

^^^^^ If they're applying their own "cream sauce", it could be a problem...

True. Although the chances wouldn't be good of transmission -- you still wouldn't want to take that risk.

I guess a sign in the kitchen "No masturbating on burgers if you have HIV. If you don't have HIV, limit masturbation practices. Limit 1 per week."
 desertsusie
Msg: 64
Posted: 7/6/2016 10:54:15 AM

The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission said on Tuesday it has filed a lawsuit accusing the operators of a McDonald's restaurant in Bentonville, Arkansas, of firing a worker because he was HIV-positive.

In its complaint against Mathews Management Co and Peach Orchard Inc, the EEOC said the worker was fired in February 2015 after admitting to the restaurant's general manager to having had "an interest" in a co-worker, and telling that co-worker about his HIV-positive status.

The EEOC said the fired worker had been questioned a week earlier by his shift manager, and told he might lose his job because the defendants had previously fired a female worker who was also HIV-positive.

"People with HIV face enough obstacles in their lives," said Katharine Kores, an EEOC district director in Memphis, which has jurisdiction over Arkansas, in a statement. "The ability to work in an environment free of discrimination should not be one of them."

The complaint dated July 1 accused Mathews of violating the Americans with Disabilities Act by firing the worker, and requiring employees to report their use of prescription medication.

Mathews operates 34 McDonald's restaurants, while Peach Orchard operates the restaurant in Bentonville, the EEOC said. They did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

McDonald's Corp (MCD.N) is based in Oak Brook, Illinois, and was not named as a defendant. It did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The EEOC identified the fired worker as "John Doe," said he had been hired in November 2014, and said his duties included cleaning, operating the register, working the drive-thru window, and opening and closing the restaurant.

Its lawsuit seeks to recoup back pay, recover punitive damages, and end the defendants' alleged discrimination.

The case is EEOC v Mathews Management et al, U.S. District Court, Western District of Arkansas, No. 16-05166.

(Reporting by Jonathan Stempel in New York; Editing by Matthew Lewis)
Reuters

I've never heard of an employer asking their employees to list which prescription medications they are on. This just seems wrong in so many ways.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Charlie Sheen Is HIV Positive