Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Why are people so against May-December relationships?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Nth_degree1111
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Why are people so against May-December relationships?Page 4 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)

So yes, I'm tired of supporting those useless, worthless, pieces of crap we call the royal family

Yeah, no hate there!

You're from Alberta. That also informs the discussion at hand. Alberta doesn't solely support the rest of Canada, they play a part, and now the rest of Canada will have to support Alberta! Interesting that Alberta elected an NDP government. Seems like you are the odd man out.

You're in Nova Scotia, and you call Ontario a 'have-not' province? LOL!

I agree with supporting veterans. I agree that we shouldn't put one cent into climate change initiatives as long as China and India (the biggest polluters) get a pass.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 77
Why are people so against May-December relationships?
Posted: 12/2/2015 10:44:22 AM
We are much bigger polluters per capita than China or India. Neither of them is the biggest polluters - that's still the US.

We're looking at the biggest threat to humanity since we came down from the trees and your response is "You go first"?
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 78
Why are people so against ....staying on topic ?
Posted: 12/2/2015 10:45:21 AM
Wait......what is the topic of this thread again ?
 Nth_degree1111
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2015 10:54:06 AM

We are much bigger polluters per capita than China or India

Per capita, but they are bigger absolute polluters. Yes, they get unfair financial advantages that we don't. I can't abide that.

Maleman asked what I was doing to save the world. Just the usual: drive conservatively, avoid products with excess packaging when possible, recycle, don't waste electricity. You know, what most people do. How is that even relevant to the point I was making about a barely-veiled hate of the Royal family?
 taffydear
Msg: 80
Posted: 12/2/2015 10:54:30 AM
Actually its about old guys/women with younger guys/women. Somehow it got derailed to Charles and Diana. Then the working class gal that can't spell the King's English got all huffy about her royal family and how wonderful they are and a discussion ensued about how dysfunctional the royal family are. Oh, and how a Muslim was at fault for Diana's death.

Monarchy, that came up. The "yays" and "nays". I'm a "nay" and apparently not allowed to be.

It all goes back to older/younger. And really, go for what cranks your tractor and don't worry about age unless YOU are taking advantage of someone or YOU feel used.
 sapphiresky242
Msg: 81
Posted: 12/2/2015 2:12:20 PM
""I come from working class but worked my way up to lower middle class btw....."" Is your education system somehow different depending on what class you are in? Are the dictionaries different? Are the words somehow different?

And CLASS - OMG, that is pathetic and sad at the same time. It is 2015 for crying out loud, what is with "working class" and "lower middle class"? IF you think of yourself in this way, just how do you view the world? Are you more than some and less than others? You know, I can say this coming from English stock both grandparents from Liverpool , the bloody Brits are some of the craziest assed ideas about with this upper class, low class...CLASS. Royalty and peasants...will your country ever evolve? Upstairs/Downstairs, Downton Abby. Imagine.

I can't imagine actually putting myself in a "class" category. Pathetic.
 Viper1j
Msg: 82
Posted: 12/2/2015 6:47:47 PM

Anywhere you look or hear about a couple who has a significant age difference people always make negative comments (if not to their face behind their back) or say it's wrong or too bad so and so couldn't find anyone else closer to their age. As long as it's legal I don't see a problem with it, it's just a preference for some people. Now I'm not saying an 18 year old should hook up with a 40 year old, I'm not for that but not because of the age difference there. That's more based on the 18 year old's probable immaturity. But if someone was 25 and was dating a 45 year old or whatever, why is everyone shocked/outraged by it? I'm not talking about "gold diggers" or those kinds of relationships, I'm talking about genuine actual loving relationships. We've come to accept so many things in society but this is still somewhat of a taboo for people and I'm curious as to why.

Chris Hansen says, if you'll take a seat over there, he'll explain it to you.
 sapphiresky242
Msg: 83
Posted: 12/3/2015 8:20:36 AM
""How do I see myself? Realistically. I come from poor and have progressed through hard work. I did better than most but not as good as some. To progress further I need to develop skills ie degrees/qualification and social skills (become posh possibly starting with proper English??).""

Many have come from humble beginnings and made a good life for themselves. Bravo to them. It's this thing about "Class" that bothers me and even using the term "Class" in this day and age. As well, actually saying "I am working class".

As for becoming "posh" starting with proper English?? I don't know about England but in Canada we all use the same words from the same dictionary and we're all taught to spell and write "proper" English. There are no differences in teaching and learning for those that are poor and those that aren't. All of our children have the same textbooks. I'm sure you had the same opportunity at language skills, teaching and learning as did every other child in the country.

Class - I really dislike that word used to separate people and keep them separated.
 ShowboatSupreme
Msg: 84
Posted: 12/3/2015 8:23:26 AM
Like a teacher outta town, no class.
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 85
Posted: 12/3/2015 8:59:41 AM
??????????? Because there are 6 months in between?
 sapphiresky242
Msg: 86
Posted: 12/3/2015 10:04:45 AM
"Probably a prejudice from your grandparents who disliked England hense (sic) the move to Canada?"

My grandparents moved to Canada for opportunity. And they were just as stupidly commenting on "class" issues while I was growing up. Luckily my parents taught us to believe all folks were created equal and there were not lines of lower class or upper class or working class or what ever stupid little categories of people my grandparents brought over on the ship. I grew up in with ordinary people, good people and I have no idea if they were lower/middle/upper class and don't really care.

See, I can't tell from your writing whether you are poor or working class or whatever term you want to use. I can tell that writing and spelling are not your strong points.

And yes, parts of Canada sort of have accents. The Atlantic provinces tend to have a little Scottish/Irish lilt to how they speak. Some, not all. Quebec and parts of the Atlantic provinces also have a large French population dating back for hundreds of years so you will find a lot of French accents in this area and many, if not most, have English as a second language as they consider French their mother tongue. But folks **stardizing the English language? I'd say no, its not common.

If you want to categorize yourself by "class" go ahead. If you are proud that you went from lower class to working class...super. Just remember, there are about 3 "classes" left that your haven't achieved. Why not just think of yourself as a worthy person and get rid of the shackles of "class".
 sapphiresky242
Msg: 87
Posted: 12/4/2015 8:30:25 AM

So how do you distinguish between people who need help and people who should be helping? Im guessing but Im sure your parents were right in the respect that all people should be treated fairly and with respect. However, not all people are born equal, some are born into priviledge and some are born into poverty that isn't equal. Some are born highly intelligent and some aren't that isn't equal. Some are born healthy and some are born with difficulties that isn't equal. You therefore have to adapt things to make things equal ie the Rich help the poor, the intelligent help the not so and the strong help the weak. Somewhere in that mix everyone is helping someone ie the Rich may not be strong but the poor maybe. So the Rich help the poor and in return the poor help the rich. The intelligent may not be creative but the no so intelligent might be. There are always, of course, those that cant help in return and just need help and there are always those who could help but don't but hopefully they are the extremes and not too many of them.

How do I distinguish between people who need help and who should be helping?? Oh my. I didn’t know that the needy had special markings or tattoos on their foreheads to distinguish the needy from the less needy. I just help. I’ve been doing volunteer work and work with charities all my life.

The rest of that paragraph is just too rambling to bother with responding. You do tend to ramble.

Lol then its unlikely you have ever experienced poor.

I grew up in the country and not a city. There were 100 kids in grade 1 to 6 with 3 teachers. The teacher that taught grade 5 and 6 was also the Principal and she was the Brownie Leader and the Girl Guide leader. There were 4 children in my family and we knew that IF we wanted to attend university or college we would have to pay for it ourselves. So we all had after school jobs/summer jobs since we were 13. We didn’t go hungry but we didn’t have extra. My mother taught to sew and we made our dresses for school, there were no purchased dresses or skirts or coats. My mother made my wedding dress. I will not dignify your British bullshyt by categorizing myself or my family by “class”. We were a happy family, a family that didn’t say “we’re lower class” or “we’re poor working class” or “we’re upper middle to the left of right but not quite posh class, with hope”. I grew up with pig farmers, grocery store owners, loggers, fisherman, two doctors, an artist or two, quarry workers, house keepers. Just ordinary people who didn’t put others in a “class”.

You cant see or hear me, if you come from England and saw or heard me then you would recognise my background. Writing, grammer and spelling are all a sign of a lack of a good education in early years, along with speech and mannerisms. These are the things you would have to change in order to move up.

Actually, if I close my eyes and pretend to be listening to you I hear Eliza Doolittle in my head.

Of course Im proud that I worked my way out of a disadvantage area, any idea how hard that is? Oh and its lower middle class.

And you should be. If you graduated school or attended a college or even took courses to continue learning. When you learn, you grow. We should all be proud of our achievements. What you shouldn’t have to be proud of is achieving a new “class” level. When you do this you perpetuate the "better" than and "less" than myth of "class".
 browneyesboo
Msg: 88
Posted: 12/4/2015 9:10:18 AM
I wonder if a 83 year old and a 63 year old is considered
a may december relationship?
It's lunchtime again.
I can't stay on topic during lunch time.
 taffydear
Msg: 89
Posted: 12/4/2015 9:32:57 AM
^^^ If the 83 year old is a man then he is a sick s.o.b. who is taking advantage of a younger woman. If the 83 year old is a woman then she rocks by nabbing a younger guy and everyone will high five her and cheer her on.

Or is it more of a December/September relationship? Or a November/August? Good catch though Browneyesboo and made me laugh.
 BeautyBabie
Msg: 90
Posted: 12/4/2015 1:18:36 PM

^^^ If the 83 year old is a man then he is a sick s.o.b. who is taking advantage of a younger woman. If the 83 year old is a woman then she rocks by nabbing a younger guy and everyone will high five her and cheer her on.

This is true and absurd. But that's the double standard unfortunately.
 Maleman999
Msg: 91
Posted: 12/4/2015 1:43:11 PM
Would the 83 year old guy have to be at least 6 feet tall and be a physical fitness buff who works out all of the time to attract the 63 year old woman? Is he also required to own a house and a car?
 Iredurbio2
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2015 4:10:16 PM
I know That I am comfortable with women that consider men dead at the age of fifty.
It's a very attractive attribute to be sure!
 gtomustang
Msg: 93
if they're old enough, they might not know how to create FB drama
Posted: 12/4/2015 6:31:04 PM
I suspect one of the "ew" factors is if the younger partner could be the age of one of your offspring. it gives the relationship a relation factor--hey, that could be my kid! Or if the older partner is close to your age, then it might make you question your choices--can't you do just as well? But past retirement age....assuming the 83 yr old is spry (hey, I know some) maybe there isn't something we can mentally relate to? we don't see ourselves, or our kids, in that situation. so it doesn't strike so hard?

Unless we are 63 yrs old. Then we have likely reached that age where we DGAS anymore. We're happy anyone our age we know can still have fun, still feel alive, not feeling their way to the grave. OR maybe we get jealous about it even then--perhaps its never too old to be a hater. maybe that's part of it, too, we get a little envious? sorta like when the neighbor gets a new car and we have a few payments left on our's?
 Like2dance
Msg: 94
view profile
History
if they're old enough, they might not know how to create FB drama
Posted: 12/5/2015 7:50:23 AM
I know a fellow who was widowed in his early 70's, remarried at 75 to a divorced 55 year old lady he had known for almost 30 years. Now he is approaching 85; she 65. They both tell me how happy they are and how much they love and respect one another.

As for me, as long as the lady in my life is older than my daughter she is fine with it. My son could care less. My friends know and understand my preferences in women. Life is good!
 peterperfect12
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2015 6:44:19 AM
i prefer it that way , but there is this perception that you can not have anything in common with an18yr old when someone i 48yr old and they would be immature . will most ladies my age are at times divorced with kids and ex-husband issues fighting over custody etc. and i prefer not to be part of that drama as part of my life . plus age does not equate to maturity in my opinion . i know 18yr old who are more mature than folks in their 40's . plus older ladies want to blame you for all the problems they have had in their life or compare to everyone of their past relationships ..you become their therapist instead of their lover.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 96
Posted: 12/6/2015 6:56:42 AM
You know, you might want to avoid making posts like this in a public forum with your picture attached.

If you're a substitute teacher who is pushing 50, and you're saying you lust after high school seniors.....your phone just might stop ringing.
 sapphiresky242
Msg: 97
Posted: 12/6/2015 8:23:29 AM
^^^ I have to agree with you. That post has "icky" written all over it. So, 48 and longest relationship is 1 year and things anyone of legal age is fair game.

As for the other guy, you being 24 and her 18 is not a May/December relationship.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 98
Posted: 12/6/2015 9:37:47 AM
You know, I was wondering about this when I was in the shower.

It's entirely likely that some divorced parent in his town is going to see this post and do the Facebook thing or something. I can see a growing level of outrage where parents demand that he not be allowed to teach their little Suzies and Ambers. I have no idea what the contract language is in the teachers' contract there. But this post could actually lead to a bit of a news cycle. And if the Teachers Union defends this guy then you just know that Fox et al will make it a national story.

And we were here at the inception.
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 99
Posted: 12/6/2015 9:45:40 AM
^ You know very well that is highly unlikely to happen. What is far more likely is that your daughter will bring him home. You should have paid more attention to her :(
 mike11092
Msg: 100
Posted: 12/6/2015 5:13:40 PM

But that's the double standard unfortunately.

...it's called "society". It's generally unacceptable for people to engage in these relationships, not because of "love" or, in other words, the one's that are real, but because of the one's that aren't.

Because, the reality is, statistically, the disgusting a-moral version of these kinds of relationships are predominant.

So, for every loving "may-December" relationship, there's probably a dozen that are parasitic.

As to people staying on topic: welcome to the forums. You can check out any time you like; but you can never leave.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Why are people so against May-December relationships?