Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Why are people so against May-December relationships?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TrvstInKarma
Msg: 111
sesaonal disorderPage 6 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)

That's exactly how I would of felt at 18 about a man in he 40's. Problem is, I still feel that way. Now I only have pof to compare by but tbh, very few men after the age of 40 are still attractive. Most have gone bald and look about 60. There are a few, but very very few and far between.

That's how I feel as well. I will say that there are attractive men my age or older, but in my experience, they are either not available or are confirmed bachelors that will never settle down and just want to play. And frankly, if a guy just wants to hook up, I will always go with a younger guy. I get why men like younger women, they are hotter than older women for the most part (there are always exceptions to every rule). And I feel the same - young men just turn me on so much more than (most) older guys. That is just a fact - and I'd rather be single and have the option of hooking up with someone I find hot than be in a relationship with someone I'm not crazy about.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Why are people so against ....staying on topic ?
Posted: 12/9/2015 9:23:41 PM
I wouldn't want an 83 year old not matter what. He would not remember who I am most of the time and
I would be afraid he would expire during the act assuming he could even get it up. 83 years old should all be on a limited car licence anyway and he would be driven around most of the time is my bet. As for the house, there would have to be something for a 63 year old to want to be with a man she probably has to play housemaid and nurse to. lol!
 sapphiresky242
Msg: 113
Posted: 12/9/2015 9:39:19 PM
To many out there, a 63 year old woman is...OLD. Too OLD. It all depends on how old YOU are as to what you find attractive or age appropriate.

My father is 85 and many of you, including you Letita, would have a hard time keeping up. Just like many on here will justify their chasing younger because younger is better, there are more looking at them as too old. It works both ways.
 TrvstInKarma
Msg: 114
Posted: 12/10/2015 6:57:05 AM

One massive problem is, its easy to go from own age group to younger, its quite hard once you've gone there to get back to older IMO.

Most definitely. It's very difficult. I've gone on lots of dates with men my age or older (or even slightly younger by a few years), and I 'm just not all that attracted to them and I compare them to the (younger) men I've gone out with and was attracted to. Not only looks, but also the vibe, the energy. I will still give same age and older a shot, though. At the same time, there are lots of younger guys that I'm NOT attracted to - I have a very, very specific type, and just being young is not enough. I turn down a lot of guys that approach me, regardless of age because they are not my type.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 115
Posted: 12/10/2015 7:02:47 AM

My father is 85 and many of you, including you Letita, would have a hard time keeping up. Just like many on here will justify their chasing younger because younger is better, there are more looking at them as too old. It works both ways.

I get what you're trying to say here...and I realize he's your dad.
But how would I have hard time keeping up with him? I'm seriously asking.

I always wonder about this "can't keep up with me" business from anyone actually.
I honestly don't know what it means.
 sapphiresky242
Msg: 116
Posted: 12/10/2015 8:12:19 AM
^^^ Well, he did tell me this summer (and I had to put my hands over my ears and go "lalalalala") that he was still capable of having sex. We had a one week holiday this summer and we walked every day along the beach front and up through the wineries and the hills, a lot, and I was exhausted but he walks like that everyday while I sit on my azz at work. He eats really healthy, has a small garden as well. He lives on half an acre that has a lot of lawn and garden to look after and he does it all. He shovels snow by hand and if it's too deep, he hauls out his tractor. He still has a complete workshop complete with tools where he could easily fix any car or build a house. He never calls in a repair guy. Right now he is updating and renovating the inlaw suite he has in the lower level. His driving is excellent, he just had cataract surgery and only needs glasses for reading...you should see his library. He also has a great appreciation for art. He is totally up to date on what is going on around him and around the world and he has always been "young", if you know what I mean. He is at ease in conversing on pretty much any topic. His heart is perfect, he is on a very low dose blood pressure medication and has all his own teeth. He is witty and can fire out the one liners rapid fire. He will be here for awhile, his mother died at 104 years old. Browneyesboo, you'd really like my Dad, he's awesome. But you are far too young to date him. Even my Dad wants either someone his own age or he is satisfied being on his own after a great 63 year marriage that ended in death.

And no, I don't want to date a carbon copy of my 85 year old father. I want someone my own age because I am realistic. Anyone that is 20 or 25 years younger just want to fvck. If I just wanted to fvck, I don't care if they are younger. Karma and the like can chase the young guys and its no big deal because she is just looking for a good time and so are the 25 year olds. But if these 25 year old decided they wanted to settle down, get married, start a family - they would be tossing her cute little azz out of bed so damn fast...she's too OLD.

Make hay while the sun shines. If you are just having fun, no strings attached, not looking for long term - go for it. Both genders. The funny thing is, I've seen Karma and a few like her dump on men on here for having their age preference set lower. SMH.
 ShowboatSupreme
Msg: 117
Posted: 12/10/2015 8:27:08 AM

Well, he did tell me this summer (and I had to put my hands over my ears and go "lalalalala") that he was still capable of having sex.

Lucky you! Hope he asked what your favorite color and flower was first?

He eats really healthy, has a small garden as well. He lives on half an acre that has a lot of lawn and garden to look after and he does it all. . He shovels snow by hand and if it's too deep, he hauls out his tractor. He still has a complete workshop complete with tools where he could easily fix any car or build a house. He never calls in a repair guy. Right now he is updating and renovating the inlaw suite he has in the lower level. His driving is excellent, he just had cataract surgery and only needs glasses for reading...you should see his library. He also has a great appreciation for art. He is totally up to date on what is going on around him and around the world and he has always been "young", if you know what I mean. He is at ease in conversing on pretty much any topic. His heart is perfect, he is on a very low dose blood pressure medication and has all his own teeth. He is witty and can fire out the one liners rapid fire.

I can't believe it! Somebody freeze this post. The perfect man has been spotted. The male unicorn.

Does he tip well?

But if these 25 year old decided they wanted to settle down, get married, start a family - they would be tossing her cute little azz out of bed so damn fast...she's too OLD.

+1000

Make hay while the sun shines

I'm gonna build a roof myself...
 TrvstInKarma
Msg: 118
Posted: 12/10/2015 8:45:56 AM
The funny thing is, I've seen Karma and a few like her dump on men on here for having their age preference set lower. SMH.

---

The funny thing is, men set their age preferences lower ALL.THE.TIME and most people take that as a given birth right - yet when women do the same, all hell breaks lose. Those people are the ones who think it normal for men to settle down with younger women, but of course, when women do it, they are only "used for sex" and no younger guy in the history of the world would EVER consider anything serious with a woman that OLD, hardy-har-har. Guess what - men dump women (younger, older, same age) ALL.THE.TIME - it doesn't matter how old they or the women are. Look at the divorce rate, mostly the guys are slightly older and yet it still doesn't last. You think you can rock my world and hurt me or insult me by saying that younger men will leave me for someone younger? Oh boohoohoo, cut me I bleed. EVERY MAN can potentially do that, so what is your point? There is ALWAYS going to be a hotter/younger/thinner/richer/taller/shorter, etc. woman out there, so why should worry about it? It's beyond my control. I have fun with guys that I find hot - they can be younger or same are or slightly older. I was married for 20 years, so I know that nothing lasts forever. And yes, I make hay while the sun shines and have fun while I'm at it. Eventually, all of us will be alone, even the ones in relationships, unless they die before their SO. I'm not scared of that, I like being by myself. I have my kids, my friends, my family, and that is more important to me than "locking in" a guy for the long term just so I "have" someone.
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 119
Posted: 12/10/2015 8:55:59 AM
OP, why do you care_

do you seek affirmation from all random strangers in the world on what you may want to do _

how silly, IMO..you will never please everyone
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 120
Posted: 12/10/2015 6:58:27 PM
I'm sure am not against younger women. Like it was said before they are hotter then older women. They are also not so set in there way.
 platypus_man
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2015 9:04:39 PM

The funny thing is, men set their age preferences lower ALL.THE.TIME and most people take that as a given birth right

That's because we're brought up that way. The moment we're starting to be attracted to the opposite sex, women all want guys who are older. Then at some point, you decide no, now you want it to be the other way around. Life doesn't work like that.
 ohenryx
Msg: 122
view profile
History
sesaonal disorder
Posted: 12/13/2015 10:41:04 AM

The funny thing is, men set their age preferences lower ALL.THE.TIME and most people take that as a given birth right

platypus_man
That's because we're brought up that way. The moment we're starting to be attracted to the opposite sex, women all want guys who are older. Then at some point, you decide no, now you want it to be the other way around. Life doesn't work like that.

Well … It doesn’t work that way unless you’re attractive. If you look good enough (man or woman), then the ordinary rules do not apply.

swan_spirit
I had a relationship with a much older woman when I was younger. I look back fondly on that, and never did I see it as some kind of one-upmanship of 'using someone for sex'.
If that's how 'some' view it they're a d1ckhead anyway regardless of age.

Woah! You just upped your DQ (dating quotient) by a great many points. Men truly love a bi-sexual woman!
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 123
sesaonal disorder
Posted: 12/14/2015 4:37:40 PM
um, I am feeling more than a little dense..

what exactly is a man's firm underneath?

my brain has a few ideas... but they are more than a little warped...
 gtomustang
Msg: 124
sesaonal disorder
Posted: 12/14/2015 6:21:13 PM
if a fellow's firm downunder is what i thought it was....perhaps you actually are feeling a little density :)
 SLAFFA
Msg: 125
sesaonal disorder
Posted: 12/14/2015 9:01:24 PM
MOST people become pretty Closed Minded once they pass 20 ish or so and people on OLD sites seem to be even worse. Until people figure out the age thing, they are unlikely to ever have much "luck" doing OLD. You know the man who started this site [and sold it for almost 700 big ones I believe] tried different things to up his bottom line with PoF...

One of the things he tried was to put peoples ages under our thumbnails. [when they appear in a line at the top of various site pages]

Care to guess how long that lasted?

The way to have the greatest success with the age parameter when doing OLD [IMO] is to look at it exactly as one would in the RW.

It's not complicated at all. How age differences actually work in the RW is usually on display at most any Fish Meet.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2015 9:09:05 PM
Hard time keeping up with an 83 year old? oh please...... He may be active but he would not be looking so good. He may be okay in bed perhaps as far as getting it up is concerned, maybe..... but who would want him? Sorry I know you think your Dad is great but..... let's get real here. If 63 is old, then 83 is decrepit.
 sapphiresky242
Msg: 127
Posted: 12/15/2015 7:08:34 AM

Hard time keeping up with an 83 year old? oh please...... He may be active but he would not be looking so good. He may be okay in bed perhaps as far as getting it up is concerned, maybe..... but who would want him? Sorry I know you think your Dad is great but..... let's get real here. If 63 is old, then 83 is decrepit.

Maybe not decrepit and he's not chasing 20 years younger but for a woman his age or maybe a couple years younger, he's a catch. That is who would want him...a lady his age. Who do you go after Letitia, you must be very late 60s, do you go for 10+ years younger? And yes, to the average 60 year old, 80 is OLD. The same applies to the average 25 year old....45 is OLD.

If you're just out to have a nice time with someone with no thoughts of serious, have fun, who cares about age.
 BeautyBabie
Msg: 128
sesaonal disorder
Posted: 12/16/2015 2:17:02 PM
Older men are attractive, I'm surprised that a lot of women don't think so but everyone has different tastes. Obviously not all of them, some are very ugly (as is the case for all age groups and both sexes) but for the most part I personally have been attracted to men in their 40's over men in their 20's. The crows feet, the little facial scars, the forehead wrinkes, I like that look which I realize is a unpopular opinion. It's just unfortunate for me that most men that I like who also find me attractive and interact with me are taken. This one guy was so flattered that I was interested in him that he seemed regretful when he was telling me he was in a relationship. Oh well!
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 129
view profile
History
sesaonal disorder
Posted: 12/16/2015 10:56:17 PM

Now I'm not saying an 18 year old should hook up with a 40 year old, I'm not for that but not because of the age difference there. That's more based on the 18 year old's probable immaturity.

Like I said in the cloned thread of this (this one seemed to have been the one moving forward), it's not because of the 18 year old's probable immaturity though. Because otherwise you wouldn't say "I'm not for that". You'd say "I'm for that only if the 18 year old's mature for their age." I know as we get older, we like to think those younger are less mature. But that's a bias that goes So unchallenged and hasn't hit the PC nerve in society (yet? lol). There are 18 year olds more mature than 30 year olds. There are 30 year olds more mature than 45 year olds. It's a stereotype that does have accurate trends -- but it's not 100%.

But if someone was 25 and was dating a 45 year old or whatever, why is everyone shocked/outraged by it?

For the same reason an 18 year old is dating a 45 year old, just a bit of a softer blow (no pun intended) -- but the core concept's exactly the same as you "not being for" an 18 year old going out with a 39 or 40 year old. It's not REALLY about one person always acting immature. Let's just call a spade a spade. :) After all, a 40 year old could be going out with a really immature 35 year old who you would think is a 18 year-old in their maturity (yes, they exist), but your feeling about it is going to be a totally Different can of worms than the 40 year old dating an 18 year old who's more mature than a typical someone folks picture in their mid-20s (yes, they exist).

It's the generational difference. Much of it is societies "no-no's". But it does at least spawn from a good reason. Compatibility for the now with many, but reasonable compatibility & such in the Future for basically all. It's FINE for a fling -- one doesn't have to argue compatibility, but that's the thing -- it screams "fling" to many. Which brings jealousy to those in the older crowd. But if it doesn't seem like a fling -- it questions forward-thinking of the younger person: "You're 25. He's 45. In 10 years, you're going to be a beautiful woman who's a half-decade away from 40 still. He's going to be '55 years or older'. When you're 42, 3 years younger than he is now, he's going to be 62 and ready to collect social security. IF you think 42 is SO far away anyway and you'll feel so old and all -- uhhh, no. Plus, he'd be almost 20 years past that 'so old' anyway."

Older men are attractive, I'm surprised that a lot of women don't think so but everyone has different tastes.

I think a lot of women 25-35 see Attractive men @ 45 as attractive, yeah. But I can relate to women's lack of taste going forward in that in this modern era (more women liked older men more in generations past), due to more modern self-sufficient women (thus more MILFs looking for younger guys too). I relate because although that might be great for a roll in the hay in post-breakup or whatever for any gal with an Attractive older guy -- it's the foward looking. The "provider" aspect isn't there so much for as many anymore, thus it presents a clearer view looking toward the future sizing it up -- he/she being 60 when I'm turning 40. When I'm 40, am I going to want to even have a fling with even the top 5% of 60 year old gals? More like top 1% maybe, as opposed to top 10-15% of gals when they're 40-something when I was 20-something. When he's 60, those little facial scars, forehead wrinkles, etc -- are Not going to be the same or as attractive, is my point. If they are, he was looking more like he was a little past 30 @45, not the kind of 40-something you found attractive in that way when he was at that age. Food for thought! :)
 BeautyBabie
Msg: 130
sesaonal disorder
Posted: 12/17/2015 8:56:23 AM

When I'm 40, am I going to want to even have a fling with even the top 5% of 60 year old gals? More like top 1% maybe, as opposed to top 10-15% of gals when they're 40-something when I was 20-something. When he's 60, those little facial scars, forehead wrinkles, etc -- are Not going to be the same or as attractive, is my point. If they are, he was looking more like he was a little past 30 @45, not the kind of 40-something you found attractive in that way when he was at that age. Food for thought! :)

Thanks for your insight. I wasn't just talking about a fling, I meant actual relationships but most people here focused on flings for some reason. I agree with you on this part though. I don't know if when I'm 40 I'm going to find 60 something year olds attractive. Probably not, unless it's someone I've known for years and in that case my opinion of them wouldn't change. But I guess I'll find out when I get to that age.
 gtomustang
Msg: 131
sesaonal disorder
Posted: 12/17/2015 9:17:55 AM
" But I guess I'll find out when I get to that age"

>>>and that is a bit of the slippery slope. one of the issues I think we have is the concept that the 18 yr old is too young to know better. But, at what age do we ACTUALLY know everything? I know at age 20 and 30 when we spot some old person with missing legs or blind or whatever and we think "gosh, i'd rather be dead than lacking that". but, when we get that age, we realize we'd rather be alive. I wouldn't think i'd consider a 60 yr old attractive, and here I am approaching middle age and some of those 60 and near 60 ladies look pretty good in clothes (naked might be another issue, but then maybe not. Helen Mirren can rock a bikini).

just to comment on the below: I agree with his history about relationships. perhaps women entered into marriage b/c they had to, and now that they don't need to, they are more honest about their reason to get married--in theory, of course, they will get married for love not financial convenience. perhaps the wedding rate goes down b/c love is elusive, and it was also back then but people stuck around b/c they had to financially and the life expectancy was shorter and et cetera.
 SLAFFA
Msg: 132
sesaonal disorder
Posted: 12/17/2015 9:20:13 AM
99% on this site have this silly habit of saying "when I am X and he/she is Y years old..."

How strange. Long G O N E are the days when many people would stay in a marriage for 20, 30, 40, 50 or 60 years most likely simply for financial reasons on the woman's part. Very very few had gone to college and/or had any of the common skills needed in the workplace.

Today - for mannnnnnny years now at least here in the USA - female graduation rates from college have exceeded men's and the gap continues to get wider. Far fewer women now NEED men to live a decent lifestyle and/or have and raise children. Throw in the fact that today with an OLD site on every available corner where people can [apparently] catalog shop for a mate at their leisure. It's a PERCEPTION.

Relationships will continue to get ever shorter. How many here can claim/state that as they have gotten older and hopefully smarter your LTRs have gotten LONGER?

Worrying about what someone might be like/look like even 10 years down the road much less 20 or 30 is not real practical IMO in today's world. People that we find attractive and are compatible with don't just grow on trees.

A bird in hand is worth 2 or three in the bush or something like that.
 Maleman999
Msg: 133
sesaonal disorder
Posted: 12/17/2015 9:49:42 AM

Far fewer women now NEED men to live a decent lifestyle and/or have and raise children.

It depends what you mean by a decent lifestyle. In generations past, people were happy to raise a family of 5 or 6 in a 3 bedroom/one bathroom/one car setting and considered it the norm. But now, younger people immediately want the monster size McMansion with 4 or 5 bedrooms, 3 or 4 bathrooms, both spouses each having a newer vehicle, the best of everything, and every electronic toy and gadget imaginable. Anything less is now considered living in poverty. But to achieve all of those "must have" items usually requires two paychecks, unless one of them is making a six figure salary. So women who aren't making a six figure salary still need men if they want to maintain a lifestyle that they consider the new norm.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 134
view profile
History
sesaonal disorder
Posted: 12/17/2015 10:39:46 AM

Thanks for your insight. I wasn't just talking about a fling, I meant actual relationships

Oh, I know. I was pointing out the different views & expectations of both. Questioning a relationship that's set indefinitely. And also, the reason why people are against you, a 25 year old, dating a 45 year old -- being the same as you being against an 18 year old dating a 40 year old. Judging the immaturity & incompatibility of the younger one with the older one. The immaturity aspect is overblown in society -- it's really about long-term compatibility. So if there clearly isn't a long-term compatibility, people will question anyone going out with another. With the age differences staring others in the face, it's hard not for it to be an elephant in the room, ya know? Therefore, it screams fling, short-term relationship, or long-term relationship with an expiration date (concerns about the younger one wasting their time).

With a mindset of living-in-the-now, even when it comes to Relationships -- I can see how one isn't just annoyed by people raising eyebrows and some grumbling, but not understanding full-circle as to Why some people are (overly) grumbling.
 BeautyBabie
Msg: 135
sesaonal disorder
Posted: 12/17/2015 11:15:31 AM

And also, the reason why people are against you, a 25 year old, dating a 45 year old -- being the same as you being against an 18 year old dating a 40 year old.

I could see what I said being seen as hypocritical but you have to admit that the brain of an 18 year old is not the same as of a 25 year old. Just like the brain of a 25 year old isn't the same as a 35 year old and so on and so on. Of course there are immature people of all ages but in general, in most cases, who is more immature or can be easily persuaded? In my experience it's the 18 year old which is why I think that at that age you barely know yourself yet, much less getting with someone a lot older. Experience and years do help and do make a difference in development and if you hold out you can prevent from making a mistake (sometimes). But if that 18 year old continues wanting to date the 40 year old when she's a few years older then all the power to them because then it comes back to a 25 year old wanting to be with a 45 year old.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Why are people so against May-December relationships?