Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Golddigging in the Minor Leagues      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 call_me_tater
Msg: 76
Golddigging in the Minor LeaguesPage 4 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Do you feel better now, Viper?
Why does OP need to protect himself?
They just had 1 dinner date.

On another note, I love armchair experts doling out advice after watching a few lawyer shows, medical shows, etc.
 ShowboatSupreme
Msg: 77
Golddigging in the Minor Leagues
Posted: 12/4/2015 9:11:08 AM
I've got a DSM V manual.

It helps me diagnose the crazy wimmins
 taffydear
Msg: 78
Posted: 12/4/2015 9:37:06 AM

On another note, I love armchair experts doling out advice after watching a few lawyer shows, medical shows, etc.

Its an open forum. Its the same as the perpetually single giving profile advice. We're all armchair quarterbacks thinking we know better than the coach.

As for gold digging, there are a few out there, most aren't. How about I keep mine, you keep yours and what ever we blend...we split.
 Maleman999
Msg: 79
Posted: 12/4/2015 9:38:54 AM

Even then, the innocent spouse can, and probably should, petition the IRS for "Innocent Spouse" relief under I.R.C. Sec. 6015, to prevent further garnishments.

If I met someone who has any major debt, and I didn't find out until after we got serious, and was expected to help out financially, that would probably end the relationship. Omission of important facts is the same as lying. There are a lot of people who have some sort of debt, but it shouldn't be kept secret from a partner until after co-habitation/marriage.

I would think getting a pre-nup would reveal those sort of things-if it's done by a lawyer who would be expected to know and verify each person's financial situation. But a lot of people are totally against pre-nups because of the perception of planning for a divorce. Even if the divorce rate was 99%, everybody would think that they are in the 1% that would never get divorced. I'm not a huge fan of pre-nups because I think it's rare to have an iron clad pre-nup. A pre-nup could be iron clad if there is no change in finances, assets, or pay differential during the duration of the marriage, but as soon as any of that changes, either one can challenge the validity of the pre-nup. There are publicized stories from time to time about the rich and famous who get divorced, and the pre-nup they had was tossed out because the more richer and famous of the two received mega-millions during the marriage, and the poorer of the two wants a bigger piece of the pie-and it usually works in favor of the one wanting the pre-nup to be tossed out and renegotiate a new settlement. So in essence, they're paying for a pre-nup twice.
 Chromis1
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2015 10:30:04 AM

A pre-nup could be iron clad if there is no change in finances, assets, or pay differential during the duration of the marriage, but as soon as any of that changes, either one can challenge the validity of the pre-nup. There are publicized stories from time to time about the rich and famous who get divorced, and the pre-nup they had was tossed out because the more richer and famous of the two received mega-millions during the marriage

For us commoners, my sense is that pre-nups largely work. I don't have much experience with them, but the few I've dealt with in the context of estate administration worked as intended.
 Viper1j
Msg: 81
Posted: 12/4/2015 1:39:34 PM
{quote]Do you feel better now, Viper?
Why does OP need to protect himself?

Why? Because he said ". The irony is if she had exploited my initial crush 9 months ago she would have got it ALL by just outliving me. (She is about 4 years younger than me and much healthier than me. I'm good for 70 to 72 at most. I think she'll make 80 and push on through.)".

That's why.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 82
Posted: 12/4/2015 1:57:33 PM

3. I work for the state of California in a job won by competitive testing. On Jan 9, I will take a competitive test for a transfer position (promotion) as Staff Services Analyst in the state capital. If I do well, I will continue to work at a new challenging position as I am legally entitled to. If not, I will almost certainly retire at 67. 5 years as I will prefer the free time in relatively good health over my current position.

I have never been married, so I am not an "expert" on marital finances.
However, I have never understood the concerns about losing all one's assets, even in a community property state like California, unless both people plan to put everything they already own into joint ownership.

Here are the basic rules:

"Community Property States
If you live in a community property state, the rules are more complicated. But in general:
spouses own equally almost all property either one acquires during the marriage, regardless of whose name the property is in
half of each spouse's income is owned by the other spouse during the marriage, and
debts incurred during marriage are generally debts of the couple.
In community property states, the following is separate property:
gifts given to one spouse
property either spouse owned before the marriage and kept separate during the marriage, and
inheritances.

The community property states are: Alaska (by agreement), Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin. (In Alaska, spouses can sign an agreement making specific assets community property.)

Here's a rundown on what is community and separate property in community property states.

Community Property:
Money either spouse earns during marriage
Things bought with money either spouse earns during marriage
Separate property that has become so mixed with community property that it can't be identified

Separate Property:
Property owned by one spouse before marriage
Property given to just one spouse"

So, the caveat is don't mix and mingle the separate property you had before marriage, and each gets to keep what they had before.
And then you evenly split everything both have earned during the marriage.

So, the worst case scenario would be a one person with high assets before marriage, co-mingling the assets after marriage, and then the low asset spouse not working or contributing much, and then initiating divorce and claiming half.
So, just DON'T co-mingle prior assets.
 loveisatemple
Msg: 83
Posted: 12/4/2015 2:02:54 PM
You are right viper. Just go to prostitutes. No problems. Mgtow should all just do that, but something tells me they won't. They will just come on the internetz, shake their fist and remain celibate, just as well. Protect those assets, nobody cares. Everbody is happy.
 Viper1j
Msg: 84
Posted: 12/4/2015 2:43:29 PM
Plenty care.

Every time a man escapes with anything more than his name, the sisterhood flies into a rage.

Ask Charlie Sheen. ;p
 BBEisBack
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2015 2:51:40 PM

Here's a rundown on what is community and separate property in community property states.

Community Property:
Money either spouse earns during marriage
Things bought with money either spouse earns during marriage
Separate property that has become so mixed with community property that it can't be identified

Separate Property:
Property owned by one spouse before marriage
Property given to just one spouse"

So, the caveat is don't mix and mingle the separate property you had before marriage, and each gets to keep what they had before.

So, the worst case scenario would be a one person with high assets before marriage, co-mingling the assets after marriage, and then the low asset spouse not working or contributing much, and then initiating divorce and claiming half.

1.) In California, both people signing a Pre-Nup have to have their own Legal Representation. Your Lawyer can't be His/Her Legal Representation....

2.) Equity earned on Real Property, that wasn't Commingled, may still be considered Community property...
I.E. a House that apprised at $100k in 1985, could be apprised at $600k, now. The $500k in Equity earned while together, may be Deemed Community property....
 Chromis1
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2015 3:38:47 PM

Exactly right. The split includes appreciation of assets, as well, such as the marital residence, 401(k), IRA accounts, etc.

Exactly right again.

One notable exception to these rules, at least in non-community property states, is inheritances. If one spouse inherits after the wedding bells ring, but never co-mingles, the value of the inheritance on the day received is excluded from equitable distribution.
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 87
Posted: 12/4/2015 5:44:14 PM
^^^ I think I would fight you for at least half custody of that adorable pup! What a sweetie!
 Maleman999
Msg: 88
Posted: 12/4/2015 5:47:33 PM
I don't know which would take more planning: A wedding and honeymoon or a "just-in-case-we-divorce" plan.
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 89
Posted: 12/4/2015 6:04:31 PM
When I got (briefly) married, my partner had assets, and I did not. I offered to sign a prenuptial agreement so that he would never have to doubt that I had no intention of taking advantage of him. I think this was one of the reasons our divorce was so incredibly amicable.
 Viper1j
Msg: 90
Posted: 12/4/2015 6:12:02 PM
Yep! You're the exception that proves the rule.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2015 7:46:58 PM
Naturally if you have a nice comfortable lifestyle you are more interesting to a woman. Lets not kid ourselves that assets and finances are not important in a relationship, one way or another. Very few of us are loved for ourselves alone, by our children if we are lucky and a few friends hopefully.

Whether anyone would live outlive you or that you would pass over at a certain age, cannot be predicted so those comments are moot. It may be that she is free now or it is more timely for you to get together. Go for it...or not.
 Chromis1
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2015 10:16:09 PM

^^^ I think I would fight you for at least half custody of that adorable pup! What a sweetie!

It would be in the pre-nup.

Paragraph 3, Custody of Tucker.
It is agreed by the parties, with full consent and irrevocably, that Chromis will retain full custody of Tucker.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 93
Posted: 12/4/2015 11:43:43 PM
maleman999- This post has the most potential for fun that I have seen in a LONG time.
The just in case we divorce plan..............
1) I hire a lawyer, you hire a lawyer.
2) We don't trust each other, right form the start. (I wonder how this will go?)
3) See, this is what I have, and this is what you have, but I want us to join forces, but on MY terms, because I don't believe you love me, right here, at the beginning, and since I don't trust you, let's get on to...........
4) If you earn more than me, I will ask for_____(fill in the blank)
5) If you earn less than me, I will ask for_______(fill in the blank)
Now, that we screwed each other, before we ACTUALLY managed to screw each other, at least it's in writing.
I mean, let's cast aside this WHOLE thing as a crap shoot, at best, we might as well take ALL the romance out of it and at LEAST get our lawyers kids braces, while we make asses our of ourselves, how does that sound to YOU as a plan??
 Strings6
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2015 2:35:50 AM
Your money and/or property will be the only thing most people will be consistently interested in throughout your life,only children and small furry Animals receive what could be described as the closest thing to love most people can deliver...cynical,yes....true,yes....exceptions of course.
 Seki1949
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2015 6:04:40 AM

Sounds like a perfect candidate for the old "pump and dump".

Not my style.

We're letting the situation develop naturally. She's a Good Person. I'm a Bad Poster.
 Seki1949
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2015 6:08:02 AM

The nine community property states present a different, more complex situation.

Ah, California! When married in California, you are legally one person with two right hands.
 Maleman999
Msg: 97
Posted: 12/5/2015 7:41:16 AM

Msg 94:
The just in case we divorce plan..............
1) I hire a lawyer, you hire a lawyer...

You missed a step. In the morning, we meet with wedding planners to work out the details of the wedding. In the afternoon, we go separately to our lawyers to work out division of assets in the event of divorce.
 Chromis1
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2015 9:02:13 AM

1) I hire a lawyer, you hire a lawyer.

Always the best advice, Bamagirl, under any circumstance. This should be the stock answer to any question. Should I plant geraniums or impatiens this year? "Hire a lawyer, he'll know".

Recently had a client who asked us to draft a pre-nup, went ahead and got married without one, then asked us again to write a pre-nup. "Uh, no, what you need now is a post-nuptial agreement. Actually, these are easier to draft. Doesn't really matter. This dude doesn't work and is burning through his inheritance at a clip of 25%/year. He'll be broke in no time, she'll divorce him, and we'll earn referral fees on both the bankruptcy and divorce work. This is the greatest job in the world.
 ohenryx
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2015 9:05:56 AM

seki1949
We're letting the situation develop naturally. She's a Good Person. I'm a Bad Poster.

A very wise plan, and I applaud you for it. And for having the good sense and decorum to not over-react to all of the harsh things that always get said here in these forums.

Here's wishing you and your new sweetheart the very best of everything. Who knows, it just might work out, we are overdue for a success story!!
 ShowboatSupreme
Msg: 100
Posted: 12/5/2015 9:08:29 AM
Anybody seen the cement shoes?
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Golddigging in the Minor Leagues