Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > What simple joys of life would you like to share with a significant o      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gtomustang
Msg: 26
Strip chess? Can i jump the queen?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I have an "Activity buddy" who has friendzoned me b/c....I get to show her the new things I find. Cool restaurants, cliff walks, antique stores, yada yada.

I think the more geeky we are, the more we want to share things with other humans--besides getting a buzz, getting laid, playing pickup basketball, etc. the more curious we are about our surroundings, the more simple stuff there is to share.

the Japanese have a saying, "When the student is ready, the teacher will arrive". I suspect sometimes, the teachers are all around us, its not until we open our mouths and express an interest in something we never knew a coworker, friend, etc was interested in...that the teacher "Arrives"
What simple joys of life would you like to share with a significant other.
Posted: 11/28/2015 12:07:39 AM
There are lots of things that I don't require in a prospective girlfriend, for being flexible and realistic and making sure that I remember what's really important, but which in my private fantasies I would really, really love to share with a woman who also had a sincere interest in them...

...one of those things is in the area of board games (no good to love this if you don't have someone to regularly play them with, like your girlfriend). But I always have to clarify this: I don't mean computer games, or video games, or role playing games, and not even things like scrabble or yahtzee or monopoly, let alone games which are predominately card or domino or dice games. Instead, I mean strategic board games, and specifically games from ancient/extinct civilizations and just other cultures. For example, a game was found in King Tut's tomb...you hear about all of the other stuff here, but you never hear about the game that was in there.

If there is a 'bible' for what I'm talking about, it would be this - http://www.amazon.com/Board-Table-Games-Many-Civilizations/dp/0486238555

But this is only half of what I mean by this particular thing which I love, and privately wish could find in a woman. The other part of that is the artistic and creative aspect. Just as there are social circles which appreciate or collect fine paintings or vases or sculptures, there is a subculture around old games. There are sets out there in the world that were handmade with precious or semi precious materials, let alone very artistically interesting, and combined with them being thousands or hundreds of years old, have very substantial price-tags attached to them while serving a historical purpose...

...I don't just love learning how to play, and playing these different kinds of games, and feeling like I'm in touch with those ancient people in a sense...but it's a lot of fun to make a set. The act of making a set of something is itself something that I think is really cool. It's fun to make them visually attractive and unique, use interesting crafting techniques, and to use unusual source materials.

So, what I really like is making these things, being creative and artistic about it, and then playing the games with other people also. I love playing board games of this type as a social activity, simple and intimate, stripped of electricity and virtuality, and is real and physical, as well as one-of-a-kind handcrafted. (All of my coffee cups were someone's singular handmade projects which found their way into a thrift store, where I found them.)

Examples:

- a class or family of games called Tafl or Hnefatafl, which are Scandinavian/Germanic/Celtic/Norse. This class is interesting in that the two sides are not symmetrical. They each have a different goal, different setup, and different pieces.

- a class/family from ancient Africa called Mancala, which is a bit mathematical. You might have seen this one in Wal-mart, though it's a poor rendition. And it's a class, not just a particular game...in much the same way that "chess" is a group of games as well as the name of a particular one. Mancala variations include Wari, Awari, Chisolo, Mancala, Lontu Holo, Pallanguli, etc. A Mancala set is supposed to be made while one is chanting a prayer, and if made from wood, is intentionally left rough so that the fingers moving over it's surface during play is what smoothed it off.

- from Madagascar is Fanorona. I found the method of capture, combined with the board structure, and the resultant gameplay/strategy, different and interesting.

- the Jungle Game, which is the inspiration for Stratego.

- the game found with King Tut was called Senet. It was a journey to the afterlife, with dice that were sticks with one side rounded and one side flat.

- there are a couple of fun little treasures called The Sumerian Game and something from The Royal Tombs at Ur.

- in the Chess group alone, there is Burmese Chess, Siamese Chess, Courier Chess, Byzantine Chess, as well as the more well known Japanese and Chinese versions.

- Wei'Ch'I, or "Go".

- an old game from France called Agon, or The Queen's Guard, which may be the earliest game played on a board defined by hexagons.

Inevitably, I have "invented" quite a few games of my own along the way. Not just any old thing like anyone would, but neat stuff. The trait of a game which attracts me to it the most is a deceptive simplicity - it is quick and easy to learn, simple, yet has potential dimensions hidden within it's eloquence that can only be revealed through game-play. Games that turn out to be more involving to play than one would think initially. I once took on the challenge of "reinventing" tic-tac-toe, precisely because it is such a worthless game, but seemed to be "trying to be more". I came up with something that is pretty damned cool, while retaining that tic-tac-toe simplicity.

So I also like more modern examples of this type of game, like somethings called Rumis, and Quarto...and something called Focus which is played with a set of checkers and is a really cool game to play. And other people's improvements that I've ran across of ancient games which also had potential but were just "unfinished" and not quite worth playing, like of Nine Men's Morris.

I've also "invented" some physical games, or "sports" (Would love to take Atari 2600's "Warlords" and realize it into a hockey/tennis type of sport). Of course, everything in my head will never get made or enjoyed.

For anyone here who might be interested...here's a simple cool little thing that I'll give away. Just a dumb simple thing that we've all thought about but can be fun - Know how you can take a stick and balance it upright in your hand? Ok, think of that...

(Make two of the following) A certain grade of PVC pipe, or wood dowel...you need a certain weight and diameter, wooden broomstick may be best. Make it 4 feet long. At about the middle, you want a cross-piece which is at 90 degrees and extends 8 inches in both directions. At the top, you want another cross-piece which is a "T", and is the same as the other one. But each cross-piece, if you were to look downward along the main stick, extends out at 90 degrees from the other - each one's direction that it extends out is 90 degrees from the other.

Now...what makes a game any good is having just the right rules (and stick design) :

1 - Two people each have one of these. They each hold one arm out to the other, and use that to decide about what distance to stand from each other.

2 - They each balance their sticks on their hand. It has to rest on the fingertips, not the palm. Through any use of the thumb, the stick must remain past the last knuckle of the fingers. And of course partially grasping your stick with raised fingertips is discouraged (?) Each contestant's other hand must remain free and away from their own stick, as well as from the other person's body or stick.

3 - Both feet, or rather all four feet, must remain completely on the ground and where they are at the beginning. A foot may not be raised at all, and not one single step may be taken. They must remain in the same spot throughout a "round".

4 - There is no touching of any kind between contestants. It is practically impossible, with or without a ref, to determine who's "penalty" it is if one person's hand and another's stick comes into contact...so every time that this happens, contestants must just stop and start over.

5 - Object of game: Cause your opponent's stick to become unbalanced; Knock it down/Make it fall; Make him lose control of it. And retain control of your own stick afterwards for a count of 10 seconds.

Ok...I'm done. Too much coffee tonight.
 Lasthookbringsme
Msg: 28
Posted: 11/28/2015 2:51:51 AM

^^^ So long as they don't linger and peel paint off the walls.

Nothing quite describes love like dutch oven farts.
 Lasthookbringsme
Msg: 29
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 30
Posted: 12/19/2015 11:44:07 AM

Remembering

I may not be interpreting this the same way Walts meant it but, upon reflection, this is a big one for me. It implies a shared history to be able to share "remembering." Which is not to say we would be living in the past. It's more the comfort I get from having a shared string of 'nows' stretching out behind us.
 Sweetness_and_Light
Msg: 31
Posted: 12/19/2015 12:02:35 PM
Message 30:

Drinks, you just blow me away. Would that I could find a man with interests like you, that liked me as much as I liked him.

Bored on a Saturday, wishing life would hurry up and be over. Dating sucks, my crafts are not turning out like the pictures in my head (and on the computer screen) and I am tired of nothing to look forward to. Can't say I have done it all but at this stage, I did what I could afford. I am done.

I'd share everything with him except my ugly thoughts. Those I'd burn.

My food my hugs my kisses my touches, everything. But have not found anyone who wants what I have. Not here, not IRL. I hope churchgoing starts working soon. I hate feeling this way when there are so many in the world with REAL problems.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2015 2:23:08 PM
Di,
you are sharing it with all with us, though!! With you in spirit.
 Sweetness_and_Light
Msg: 33
Posted: 12/19/2015 3:34:18 PM
Aww, Letitia, thanks very much. I wish I had a lot more good to give.
Posted: 12/19/2015 9:54:33 PM
Hey! Stop it with that sad shyt! It's not healthy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXOXldwCg-g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWjWXmzs3Rs

Bonus Tracks -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZsNJQg_MpE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msSc7Mv0QHY
 Sweetness_and_Light
Msg: 35
Posted: 12/20/2015 3:55:52 AM
track 1: OMG the eyebrows cannot be real!!!! Too bad he's not on camera long enough to tell.

track 2: the storybots are cuter than the minions!

Techno Chicken? I'll see your chicken and raise you a 10 hour Meow Mix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbyZDq76T74

(And the MacDonald farm girls were so dumb they were funny.)
 Walts
Msg: 36
Posted: 12/20/2015 5:18:11 AM

I may not be interpreting this the same way Walts meant it but, upon reflection, this is a big one for me. It implies a shared history to be able to share "remembering."

Oh, you nailed it Cynthia.

The one thing I really miss about a relationship is the building of that relationship and all the little things that happen during that process. You know, the silly, goofy things, along with those moments that test the relationship as it grows. The peaks and the valleys. What many just want though, is the peaks, without those valleys.

Isn't that boring..........
 somekinda_wonderful
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2015 10:56:49 AM
I moved to Mexico a few months ago, so everything is new and wonderous, and it kinda sucks not having anyone to share it with. I have never been happier or more peaceful than right now in my life, but it would be nice to witness all this beauty with someone else. So for now I take lots of pictures, maybe some day I'll share a few of them with someone :)
 tatsuwen
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2015 6:13:10 PM
Remembering - or building context would be a sweet thing to share. I'd like to share all the "mundane" things with someone else. Someone you are comfortable being with as much as you are comfortable being with yourself so that sharing the everyday doing of life and it becomes so much more.
 ShowboatSupreme
Msg: 39
Posted: 12/26/2015 6:17:53 PM
Somebody in this neck of the woods said....

Someone to enjoy doing nothing with

I'm game.
 cooldog65
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2016 1:09:06 AM
Reminiscing about growing up in the latter part of the last century and enjoying some of those things from that time period like vinyl records and singing performances from the old variety shows.

I just took up collecting vinyl again last year and I have a much higher appreciation for it this time around versus when I was a teenager. So much older music I have yet to discover.
 xlr8ingme
Msg: 41
Posted: 1/3/2016 2:47:03 AM
Combining lives, and everything that goes along with that :)
 Maleman999
Msg: 42
Posted: 1/3/2016 6:20:02 AM

I just took up collecting vinyl again last year and I have a much higher appreciation for it this time around versus when I was a teenager.

Do you ever play the records backwards to see if there are any hidden messages? (lol) I don't remember if it was a Beatles or Rolling Stones album and which songs, but there was some controversy way back when that if you were to play their record backwards, there was some hidden message in it. I don't know how you would play a record backwards, but I guess somebody had too much time on their hands and a vivid imagination.
 CarefreeBeauty
Msg: 43
Posted: 1/3/2016 7:33:50 AM
^^^The 'hidden message' that resulted from playing the record backwards was that 'Paul (McCartney) was dead, or dying, probably from some debilitating dread disease'~

We young fans hardly knew what to think--- surely this could not be true---'Our Paul' gone so soon!?!

Lots of weeping and wailing, gnashing of teeth, rending of garments in the ranks of Beatlemania~
 cooldog65
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2016 7:34:13 AM
^^^^^ Maleman...I believe it was the Beatles and Led Zeppelin that supposedly had those hidden messages in records. I remember trying it way back when, but all I ever heard was mumble jumble. No satanic messages...
 Maleman999
Msg: 45
Posted: 1/3/2016 8:06:35 AM
I guess when Paul McCartney made his first public appearance after the controversy. that would pretty much end the practice of playing records backwards to find hidden messages.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2016 10:51:50 AM

I guess when Paul McCartney made his first public appearance after the controversy. that would pretty much end the practice of playing records backwards to find hidden messages.

You underestimate the allure of conspiracies and mysteries. I remember well, that when McCartney "reported in," that the story adjusted to say he was a look-alike that the rest of the Beatles had on tap, just in case.
 CarefreeBeauty
Msg: 47
Posted: 1/3/2016 12:05:12 PM
^^^
You underestimate the allure of conspiracies and mysteries. I remember well, that when McCartney "reported in," that the story adjusted to say he was a look-alike that the rest of the Beatles had on tap, just in case.

So true<

What was the song? I remember 'I am the egg man, I am the egg man, I am the walrus---coo coo chee coo, coo coo kee choo' or some lyrics like that---the 'walrus reference' seemed to point to a disease or condition that was slowly taking his mobility away---like a walrus stuck on dry land<
 yougotmeakitten
Msg: 48
Posted: 1/3/2016 7:23:35 PM
Drinks and Sweetness (msgs 37 &38)

This would be my favorite version of Old Mac Donald.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZbKpOo-0aM

If you ever get to see J.J. Smith live, do go. Fun act to watch, good Celtic ballad singer and cute as the****ns.

LePew

Oh and if your easily offended, dont watch... Not PC
Posted: 1/4/2016 4:52:02 PM
...always thought that, among other things, I'd have someone playing this at my wedding (if it ever happened!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVbu8bh7SWk
 dragonbytes
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2016 9:20:13 AM
Simple joys we share.

Scratch each others back, wrap our limbs around each other on a cold winter's night feeling the silky smoothness of her skin.

Gossiping about other people to each other.

Touching each other as we pass by.

Playing games for hours, making dinners together, synchronizing our activities. Making dinner can be a kind of dance.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > What simple joys of life would you like to share with a significant other.