Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > CONVERSATE is not a word      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dwmitch
Msg: 26
view profile
History
CONVERSATE is not a wordPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

Sorry I do not care what the dictionary on lines say. Conversate is not a word.

Wait... it's actually in the dictionary? I'll admit I use it from time to time, but only to rile up a flatlander friend of mine who's always making fun of me for living in "hillbilly country" (along with other words I know don't exist, ex. "I just done some arithmaticin' and I figure ol' Luke and I walked over 1600 rods after his engine blowed up. Gave us time to catch up on some conversatin', though").

The difference is, I use it knowing it's not a real word with the intent of annoying a friend. I didn't know anyone seriously thought it was an actual word.
 Coma_White
Msg: 27
view profile
History
CONVERSATE is not a word
Posted: 12/3/2015 10:58:17 PM
If conversate isn't a word, how are we all conversating right now?
Riddle me that.
 gtomustang
Msg: 28
an inverterate hate for the CONVERSATE, we should conservate
Posted: 12/4/2015 11:43:39 AM
um...via the computer?
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 29
Posted: 12/4/2015 8:13:48 PM
Language is like water--it pretty much goes where it wants to. Even the French with their little up-tight language committee haven't been able to stop it. It's why none of us speaks Proto-European, and Latin speakers are studying a dead language instead of several live ones. I love that English is part Germanic and part Romantic, and has the largest vocabulary of any language on earth. Enjoy.
 Kodanshi
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2015 7:15:37 AM
Speaking of it being part-Germanic, most of the rules about sentence construction come from Latin rules, despite the Germanic nature of English. That's why you have nonsensical rubbish about not ending sentences with prepositions, or not splitting infinitives: because they couldn't in Latin. But you can in English if you want to.
 gtomustang
Msg: 31
Posted: 12/5/2015 7:28:39 AM
if memory serves, all the invasions of the British Isles had something to do with the above being true?
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2015 2:01:21 PM
But you know what? Whether you employ proper, improper, or even broken English these darn forums are still a great place to let your views be known. For that I am glad so hey, talk to me....

I have a need for communication . That at times I have to sate.
And when that time rolls along, I come here to conversate.
Where the talking is done with fingers, And the hearing done with our eyes.
The fact we can't always agree, should come as no surprise.
Posted: 12/5/2015 10:12:06 PM
This is tricky. I hate myself to hear things like 'irregardless' and 'conversate', as well as other words. On the other hand, that's how words evolve and become 'real' words, and I myself end up sometimes using these words out of jest and the spirit of not having a stick up my arse about it too much, and wouldn't absolutely refuse to date someone based largely on whether or not they spoke with slang sometimes.

Dagumit. Even contractions began as improper and lazy. Don't and can't and they're, etc, were just two words blending together during speaking, and weren't proper...until they were. Hhmm...weren't. Were not. Think about it - if you say "weren't", you're just like a slangy hillbilly.

If conversate isn't a word, how are we all conversating right now?

Because we are not conversating...we are conversing.

For that matter, I don't understand why we add a syllable to words like oriented...as in orientated. Sounds stupid.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2015 1:09:52 AM
Kodanshi
"Speaking of it being part-Germanic, most of the rules about sentence construction come from Latin rules, despite the Germanic nature of English. That's why you have nonsensical rubbish about not ending sentences with prepositions, or not splitting infinitives: because they couldn't in Latin. But you can in English if you want to."

Spot on mate. My split infinitives and prepositions are usually all over the place innit? I find it fantastic when other posters get their knickers in a twist over language, spelling and grammar.

Their indignation is most chucklesome especially when in their indignation they spell something wrong. These islands over here are the best in the world for the way folk talk. I dont want to hear bbc english i prefer regional dialects. I like learning new local words. When i lived in london i was an 'ackney lad. Jimmy the jockney with my mixture of scots english and lahndon words aye innit geezer.

So what if conversate is no a real word. White middle class dafties make up new words all the time to try and shut working folk up. Just look at the istismophobic industry. And that new load of shite the shermans have foisted upon us. Microaggressions. On another thread i pointed out to oor jo van that his refusal to recognise race made him guilty of racism lol

Anyway new words evolve all the time and it's always boss to hear them. So conversate away before the grammar stasi come and send you to re education camp.

Toodle pip
 Maleman999
Msg: 35
Posted: 12/6/2015 7:08:32 AM
I got together with a couple of friends last night and I heard one of them use the word "conversate". I immediately thought of this thread. The booze was flowing, and I think that was the key. So if you drink enough, conversate is a word. If you're sober, it's not a word. Why don't schools teach that philosophy about the creation of words?
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 36
Posted: 12/6/2015 1:38:21 PM
You people need to unthaw.

With the evolution of language, the one that really gets me is "antisocial". It used to have one meaning: "Criminal". "Asocial" was used to mean "not social". Now, through repeated misuse, and despite the confusion it causes, "antisocial" can mean both "criminal" and "asocial". It may not seem like an important distinction, but imagine if you were imprisoned for being shy?

But the very very most useless set of words in the English language: Biweekly, bimonthly, biannually. "Bi" means both "twice" (per time frame) and "every two" (time frames).

Thanks. I feel better now. I'll not start on "schizophrenic" :)
 Maleman999
Msg: 37
Posted: 12/6/2015 2:58:51 PM
^"With the evolution of language..."
What about the words "queer" and "gay"? They used to have totally different meanings that had nothing to do with homosexuality. How did those words get to refer to sexual orientation?
Posted: 12/7/2015 3:54:15 PM
I think that the difference, at least with me, is with whether you speak a certain way most of the time and make lots of "errors" instead of just a couple because you don't know any better and don't care...or you do know better and don't usually speak that way but are able to occasionally just out of a sense of playfulness.
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 39
Posted: 12/9/2015 11:46:25 AM
I for one refusate to acceptate that conversate is not a word.

i cannot orientate myselfate to such a view
 cooldog65
Msg: 40
view profile
History
CONVERSATE is not a word
Posted: 12/13/2015 12:44:47 AM
gracefullikeagazelle...

Perhaps I watch too much Springer and have come to accept Eubonics as the spoken work of educated African Americans. I AKS you--what's the point in fighting the inevitable?

I think Eubonics sounds like a plague the way it's spelled.

Was AKS an example of Eubonics?

OP...I would be more annoyed at the use of text speak at our age.
 Worbug
Msg: 41
view profile
History
CONVERSATE is not a word
Posted: 12/13/2015 5:08:52 AM
WOW!!!! Of all the words butchered, a word has become her crusade. I walk away from people ss soon as something this stupid is uttered by them.

I think the OP is attempting to brainificate too much!!

"Bless her heart"
 Nth_degree1111
Msg: 42
view profile
History
CONVERSATE is not a word
Posted: 12/15/2015 10:51:52 AM

If it's not in the OED it's not a word. But I'm scared to look.

Not sure why anyone would throw in extra letters when converse is a perfectly crumulent word.

This! The OED is THE BIBLE of dictionaries and the only one to be trusted these days. I used to think other name brand dictionaries were okay, but I, too, have started seeing non-words appearing.
 chameleonf
Msg: 43
CONVERSATE is not a word
Posted: 12/15/2015 11:15:44 AM
Conversate is just a continuation of the **stardization of the English language. I could be saying, "Me thinks the lady doth protest too much." Evolution of words is in progress. Even though I picture someone sayingconverssate with missing teeth as they crawl down from their mountain top wearing a freshly cured hide of something or other, the more it's repeated by the masses, the more it'll become the norm over time....gack. Apparently gack is a word too even though I'm getting the red underscore yelling at me from my screen. Picture "gack" with a high brow British accent and it'll seem much more condescending .
 00Spy
Msg: 44
CONVERSATE is not a word
Posted: 12/15/2015 12:00:14 PM
It may or may not be a word but it did get this thread into the POF Hall of Fame thread.
Congratulationsate!
 coexist64
Msg: 45
CONVERSATE is not a word
Posted: 12/16/2015 5:47:37 AM
"Move on and just don't date anybody who uses
unacceptable language, by your standards"

That's a little harsh. No ones perfect.
Standards should be bent a bit if redeeming
qualities are considered in the equation of someone's
worth in your life.
 daynadaze
Msg: 46
view profile
History
CONVERSATE is not a word
Posted: 12/16/2015 2:07:47 PM
But one's worth in someone's life may well be in question if the person's use of language drives you up a wall. That's like saying so what if you find them unattractive and being attractive is important to you, or you can't stomach their politics or religious view, when in fact that sort of thing is important to you. Resentment is a horrible thing to have in a relationship, we are all allowed to not want to meet/date/marry someone who drives us away. Nobody has missed out on anything if they are not attracted/interested in someone for what ever reason and so choose to not get involved. What makes someone not be worth your time is always going to be based on how important their flaws are to you. Just because they don't bother another person does not mean they won't bother the hell out of someone else, no one is in the wrong, there are simply many people who are not going to be a match. Who wants to be with someone who can't stand part of you? Just my opinion, of course, but I never want to be with someone who is with me in spite of their dislike of me or my character or my habits.
CONVERSATE is not a word
Posted: 12/16/2015 6:17:57 PM
^ I kinda sorta agree, though, that speaking certain ways can just be 'yuck'. But to repeat my last post, it depends...is a certain way of speaking normal for you, because you don't know better or don't care therefore it'd be indicative of a certain illiterateness or undesirable character in some respects, or do you only occasionally speak sloppily due to the ability to be goofy and fun?
 dragonbytes
Msg: 48
view profile
History
CONVERSATE is not a word
Posted: 1/13/2016 8:52:19 AM
Conversate! Conversate!

Heebie Jeebies! What you gonna do? Holy Cow! I never seen nobody use them kind of words.

But golly gee willikers, ,those whippersnappers seem to know it all. I say, 23skidoo to those using new words, I am comfortale in my vernacular.

These young snippersnappers don't know beans.

https://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts16476758.aspx
 GoodGuy4GoodHome
Msg: 49
CONVERSATE is not a word
Posted: 3/11/2016 7:20:48 PM
Words people use that ARE NOT REAL WORDS...

Conversate Proper way to say what this word is incorrectly used for. CONVERSED with someone last night or I'm having a CONVERSATION now.
Sapiophile Someone who finds intelligence THE most attractive feature.
Sapiosexual Someone who is aroused by intelligence. If this were true, I'd be making every woman moist just reading this post! LOL
Epic IS a real word, but it's being used for tons of stupid things as if words like Terrific, Amazing, Awesome, etc. don't exist.

And there are so many more words people use simply because they are stupid. If they were ever educated beyond grade school, which is a national law in case anyone wishes to know. Yet can't spell. Are too stupid to even use spell checking programs or auto-spell. Just being smart enough to use just one of these things would make stupid people seem much smarter. From this the only conclusion is that all these stupid people WANT TO BE AND REMAIN STUPID AND IGNORANT. Exactly the qualities needed for public office or reality show contestant. A perfect of moronic behavior being rewarded is on MTV. Nearly every "reality" show there dealing with rednecks, guidos, gangsters, jackasses, and on and on.... All are rewarded for being the worst form of life. They all act alike, look alike, have no morals, and have IQs lower than the highest number on a football jersey. And THESE scumbags are exalted into stardom by being the biggest Kardashian-like worthless P O S. Why is the country not pissed off at what is being shown as role models for their children?
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 50
view profile
History
CONVERSATE is not a word
Posted: 3/12/2016 11:12:43 AM
There's no such thing as a "real word" that was always a REAL WORD. Every damn one of them was invented by someone somewhere, and if it were useful enough, it got used by more people.

I have as much annoyance as any do, when new words are invented and promulgated , simply because a long existing word isn't known or understood by the speaker/writer. But I'm sorry to report, that it's not up to any authority.

Many of us learned as children in school, that dictionaries were rule books. If a word were in there, it was a "real" word. If we used it to say something that the dictionary DIDN'T say it meant, we were told we used it "wrong."

But what dictionaries ACTUALLY are, are just repositories of translations. That is, people who build and maintain dictionaries don't have any power (usually), they are just running across words, figuring out from the context, what the users of the word was trying to say, and then report that using OTHER words, so that the rest of us can figure out what was said as well.

So CONVERSATE didn't USE TO BE a word, but it is now. Not according to my spellchecker, but nevertheless.

And by the way, I hate it too, and wont use it myself. Yet.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > CONVERSATE is not a word