Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > CONVERSATE is not a word      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 GoodGuy4GoodHome
Msg: 49
CONVERSATE is not a wordPage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Words people use that ARE NOT REAL WORDS...

Conversate Proper way to say what this word is incorrectly used for. CONVERSED with someone last night or I'm having a CONVERSATION now.
Sapiophile Someone who finds intelligence THE most attractive feature.
Sapiosexual Someone who is aroused by intelligence. If this were true, I'd be making every woman moist just reading this post! LOL
Epic IS a real word, but it's being used for tons of stupid things as if words like Terrific, Amazing, Awesome, etc. don't exist.

And there are so many more words people use simply because they are stupid. If they were ever educated beyond grade school, which is a national law in case anyone wishes to know. Yet can't spell. Are too stupid to even use spell checking programs or auto-spell. Just being smart enough to use just one of these things would make stupid people seem much smarter. From this the only conclusion is that all these stupid people WANT TO BE AND REMAIN STUPID AND IGNORANT. Exactly the qualities needed for public office or reality show contestant. A perfect of moronic behavior being rewarded is on MTV. Nearly every "reality" show there dealing with rednecks, guidos, gangsters, jackasses, and on and on.... All are rewarded for being the worst form of life. They all act alike, look alike, have no morals, and have IQs lower than the highest number on a football jersey. And THESE scumbags are exalted into stardom by being the biggest Kardashian-like worthless P O S. Why is the country not pissed off at what is being shown as role models for their children?
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 50
view profile
History
CONVERSATE is not a word
Posted: 3/12/2016 11:12:43 AM
There's no such thing as a "real word" that was always a REAL WORD. Every damn one of them was invented by someone somewhere, and if it were useful enough, it got used by more people.

I have as much annoyance as any do, when new words are invented and promulgated , simply because a long existing word isn't known or understood by the speaker/writer. But I'm sorry to report, that it's not up to any authority.

Many of us learned as children in school, that dictionaries were rule books. If a word were in there, it was a "real" word. If we used it to say something that the dictionary DIDN'T say it meant, we were told we used it "wrong."

But what dictionaries ACTUALLY are, are just repositories of translations. That is, people who build and maintain dictionaries don't have any power (usually), they are just running across words, figuring out from the context, what the users of the word was trying to say, and then report that using OTHER words, so that the rest of us can figure out what was said as well.

So CONVERSATE didn't USE TO BE a word, but it is now. Not according to my spellchecker, but nevertheless.

And by the way, I hate it too, and wont use it myself. Yet.
 Maleman999
Msg: 51
CONVERSATE is not a word
Posted: 3/12/2016 12:28:58 PM
I thought Conversate was the new, redesigned version of sneaker after Converse 7.
 8inscrew
Msg: 52
CONVERSATE is not a word
Posted: 3/12/2016 12:39:03 PM
Seems like a bastardized converse.
conversing
Converses
conversed
conversation

Switch with traverse.
Traversate?

Survey says: bzzzt.
Crowd goes "awww".

Traversing
Traverses
Traversed
Traversation? Lol
Well.. that might be stretching it.
Traverse.

It's like deer. Plural is still deer.
Another thing... there is no such thing as masonary.
CONVERSATE is not a word
Posted: 3/12/2016 5:47:15 PM

There's no such thing as a "real word" that was always a REAL WORD. Every damn one of them was invented by someone somewhere, and if it were useful enough, it got used by more people.

This is why I say that it depends upon the reason a 'new non-real word' is used. Are you speaking a certain way because you're ignorant in some sense, or you're not trying and don't care, or it's indicative of your intellectual state in general? Or because you are creative or playful sometimes in how you speak, even if you know better? I figure that when someone is irritated by people using 'not-real-words' it's when it seems like the former reason(s), versus the latter. And then they may carry that feeling too far and be irritated by anyone who speaks that way occasionally instead of always even though they know better and are just being playful and creative.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > CONVERSATE is not a word