Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The Kindness of Strangers      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NJgirl116
Msg: 26
The Kindness of StrangersPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
The poster above has the ugliest profile picture I've ever seen.
The Kindness of Strangers
Posted: 12/19/2015 10:47:11 PM

I will admit that there are some things in today's society that are trickier for men. I could do anything for anyone - from approaching, as a stranger, a child in distress, to helping anyone of either gender - and no one would question my motives. Men can still be kind though, I'm thinking - they just have to be more careful to not come off creepy or aggressive. (It goes without saying, I think, that no man should ever approach a child he doesn't know. But there are other ways to be of assistance in such circumstances.)

Well...like...this one time...

I was going to see a movie. By myself. Was walking to my theater, and saw a mother, child, and possibly mother's mother, heading to the theater next door to the one I was headed to, and the child was distressed for some reason. The movie they were going to was some kid's movie, and it was loud and boisterous (guess it was just now starting). Could hear it outside of the open theater's doors. I walked past my theater and walked into theirs with them. Going in, the movie was even louder and more boisterous, and the little boy was almost terrified. Screaming and crying. Like we assume that kids like clowns, but actually a clown can traumatize a kid. I made a big show of saying something like "Hey! Man, I been wanting to see this movie! This thing is cool! Oh goody!" Etc. Hard to communicate how I did it though...it's all in the execution, and tailored for the little boy and situation. Part of my power at the moment was that I was an adult stranger, and wasn't even talking to him or his mother, but to myself or for all he knew a friend of mine somewhere. All of a sudden he shut up and his face lit up. He watched the screen with anticipation, now perceiving it to be all fun. I needed to get to my movie though, so I just kept walking forward, further than them, then down a row of seats, until I disappeared into the darkness and other people. Came out the other end of the row of seats, then back up to the exit of that theater. I never seen or spoke to them otherwise, but I'm sure that mommy was grateful.

And, like, this other time...

Was in the public library. Had my laptop, needed to use the library's wifi to do something. Two bitty kids, boy and girl, came over and started hanging with me, asking me stuff, etc. I was basically just sitting waiting for my computer to do it's thing, so I told the kids that if they go get a book they like, then I'll read it with them (trying to control and direct their energy, instead of get tangled up in my power and mouse cords). We ended up having a grand old time, reading books together for a while. Of course, we didn't hardly finish a book, because they made a game of getting more and more books, and we ended up with a nice big stack and pile of books in the chair next to me which a poor librarian had to reshelve later. But mommy and a female librarian were glowing admiring-grins from across the library, so I figure that they weren't freaked out by it.

And then this other time...

Arrived at the mall, parked my motorcycle in the parking lot. Noticed something going on while walking through the lot towards the entrance - two firemen and a woman around a car messing around with the car in some way. I kept walking and went in to do my business. Was at least 30 minutes later when I came back out, and saw that they were still there, doing whatever they were doing. I walked up...slowly and respectfully...and asked if everything was ok and what was going on. They explained that mommy had locked her keys in the car, the car was running, and her little boy was inside. They were trying to get him to unlock the car. But that little kid hadn't a clue what they were telling him, and was just moving around inside the car, confused, but entertained...had a playful smile on his face like he was on the outside of a zoo enclosure and all of us were being observed by him. It just felt right...felt ok at the moment...so I just walked up to the car window, let my intuition tell me how to communicate to the little boy so that he would understand. Got his attention, pointed, and made some obvious motions with my hands. Ten seconds, and he flipped switches unlocking the door and rolling down the window. I wasn't trying to be part of a hero-show, so I just walked immediately to my horsey and left.

However, ya'll are right. Normally men can't get away with too much of this stuff. I have just as many stories that show the opposite of the above.
 Jo van
Msg: 28
Posted: 12/20/2015 4:44:31 AM

That might be your opinion, it really didn't need saying,
especially not, in a thread called "The Kindness of Strangers".
So much for "the spirit of xmas" eh?
Was that supposed to be "irony"?

No-one can help what they look like, it's what's on the inside that's important,
and how people interact with others is entirely under their own control.
In a thread about mostly heart-warming stories,
Yours is by far, the ugliest post.
Totally unnecessary.
Get a grip.

Merry Mythmas.
 Sweetness_and_Light
Msg: 29
Posted: 12/20/2015 4:54:45 AM
"The poster above has the ugliest profile picture I've ever seen. "

Nah, I have seen much worse and Jo Van has a point that this was maybe not the best way of pointing that out.

I looked at it and thought he might be trying out a new beauty aid, one that gives the square jawed look to the whole face. Like those things you can cook an egg in and it comes out square so it fits the samwich bread better?

I think the poster could pick out a more flattering pic but to each his own.
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 30
Posted: 12/20/2015 5:38:54 AM
:) siempre
 throttle_junkie
Msg: 31
Posted: 12/20/2015 5:53:25 AM

If you're referring to the raised middle finger, while not "ugly" it does indicate the mind of a sophomoric person.

That profile pic comment has nothing to do with their outward looks or Christmas spirit
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 32
Posted: 12/20/2015 6:18:55 AM
not at all surprised such a comment would come from someone constantly bragging or orating about how wonderful and great a "Christian" she is..typical.. fake smile on the face with an ugly hating hypocritical heart.

ah well my preconceptions are often accurate, when someone begins to brag about how wonderfully religious and devout they are I suspect they want money..are running a scam, or something, not too often wrong. put a lock on my wallet & run

Actions do indeed speak much louder than mere words
 NJgirl116
Msg: 33
Posted: 12/20/2015 7:39:16 AM
I know. I'm sooo sorry to hurt your feelings, Mr. ugly profile. Very un-Christian of me. I'm not a fan of disgusting out of place sexual posts. "we have to know did you accept the oral sex." Funny, witty! haha! Ugh! Merry Christmas everyone!
 NJgirl116
Msg: 34
Posted: 12/20/2015 8:01:48 AM
In my case, there have been many instances of random kindness but the most significant one was when a school official allowed me to pass a class when I was sick and missed class one too many times, and I was supposed to fail. I called her and was pleading with her to let me pass, and all of a sudden I started coughing so badly I thought my lungs were going to explode. I did not know how to stop... after a few minutes of listening to it she agreed to let me pass. I have no idea how that happened... I was very sick but such a boot of coughing was not very common... I was thankful I passed the program and went on to the bachelor's program from there. Now I have the job I did not dream to have even a year ago. Thank you to the kind lady.
 Walts
Msg: 35
Posted: 12/20/2015 8:35:22 AM
Yesterday, while out doing some early morning shopping,too many bags in my hands, and humming Christmas tunes, I got a big smile on my face when a little boy walking with his Mother looked at me, pointed at me and said to her that "Mommy, that old guy has the Christmas spirit!"

I hummed louder the rest of the day........
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 36
Posted: 12/20/2015 8:46:07 AM
Caballerosiempre: The picture was just too close up fyi. There was a woman on here not long ago with a similar picture. She was attractive, but in that picture she just looked bizarre.

Now. I for one would like to hear whether the fellatial offer was accepted. In fact I kind of need to know, for reasons I'm not comfortable disclosing.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 37
Posted: 12/20/2015 9:08:42 AM
^^^It's this kind of bullying and sexual harassment which is bringing this place down.

I'm certain the young lady in question wouldn't want me blabbing all over the message boards intimate details of our correspondence. You can just mind your own business Missy.
Posted: 12/20/2015 9:41:33 AM

You can just mind your own business Missy.

Aahahahahaaaaaa! Oh hell you guys crack me up.
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 39
Posted: 12/20/2015 9:41:43 AM
^ Whatever. It would probably give her a thrill. She's probably just some attention whore.

*At the other guy, above that.
 Sweetness_and_Light
Msg: 40
Posted: 12/20/2015 10:26:10 AM
HTDad and Baby make such a cute couple, don't you think?
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 41
Posted: 12/20/2015 11:48:26 AM
Oh, don't start down that road brother.

Her...shall we say, "sexual demands" are just a little too Baskin and Robbins for this vanilla guy. Her fixation on my wearing a French maid's outfit is just the start of it.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 42
Posted: 12/20/2015 11:55:06 AM

Her fixation on my wearing a French maid's outfit is just the start of it.

Oh don't mind her, it's all in good jest. Do you remember the post where Baby told the story how she worked in a Catholic school and had to wear the same outfits as the students and when she was grading the papers and put her feet up on her desk someone walked in and something naughty ended up happening? I don't believe that story for a second!
 TheEvolutionOfJessi
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2015 2:53:05 PM
Thanx "strangers" for the stories that my 11yo can read and show him, that while not every 'good deed' is met with kindness, one can still try to let kindness drive in all interactions.... (it's hard to be his mom, father, teacher, life coach and peer in one hit)

happy holidays :)
 Bebedeleau
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2015 1:43:05 AM
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1510391725888827/permalink/1645031319091533/
 buxombad
Msg: 45
Posted: 1/2/2016 12:27:31 PM
"The drunk driver wasn't charged with any crime since his brother was a local politician"

How do you know the driver was drunk, and how do you know his politician brother had anything to do with lack of prosecution? But it is a good soundbite. The firewall adds a good visual image.
 benartflick
Msg: 46
Posted: 1/2/2016 1:50:43 PM
"How do you know the driver was drunk, and how do you know his politician brother had anything to do with lack of prosecution? But it is a good soundbite. The firewall adds a good visual image."

I don't know. I only know what my brother told me.

I only know how she died and her wake was on 9/11/2001. Many here know why I remembered that date.

You think a young mother of two children dying that way is something to joke about? A good soundbite?

Do you have any shame? Oh, unfortunate deaths are good for the business you're in, I guess.
 buxombad
Msg: 47
Posted: 1/2/2016 2:15:50 PM
No, I already told you in the relationships threads I believe you are a liar. I have heard of people being electrocuted and burned to death. I have never heard of somebody touching live wires and exploding like a fire ball.

How would your brother have known whether the driver was drunk. . and you were the one who said lack of prosecution because the brother was a politician. This is just you living in a fantasy world where everybody having anything to do with justice and the law is corrupt and/or incompetent.

You sound like a male version of Literate Hiker if you want to know the truth
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 48
Posted: 1/2/2016 3:01:20 PM
Yeah I didn’t believe that story either. How could he or anyone know what happened or how if there were no witnesses except the one who saw the aftermath…the “fireball.” If the driver was nowhere around and the sister-in-law approached an empty vehicle how the heck was it determined he was drunk? There could be any number of reasons why someone would have a car accident in the middle of the night.

The drunk driver wasn't charged with any crime since his brother was a local politician.

Even if he had been drinking and cracked up his car he wouldn’t be charged for her death. As you say he “staggered away long before” she got there so it was hardly his fault.

Did your brother sue the guy in civil court?
 benartflick
Msg: 49
Posted: 1/2/2016 3:28:46 PM
"I have never heard of somebody touching live wires and exploding like a fire ball.

I never did until I read the article about her death in the Norwich Bulletin.

I was an electrical worker and an electrical inspector my entire working life after HS. I survived 220 volts AC. No serious injury but I was mad at the sailor who turned the power back on while I was working inside the equipment. If my left hand was touching ground, I would have died.

My big boss at work got his 18 year old son a job at our shipyard one summer. The kid was given a key and sent to cut grass in a high voltage area. I was told his sister was brought to identify the unidentifiable black ash like remains. I don't know, but no doubt the kid was electrocuted and the man who sent him into the area was fired.

Over a 38 year period only two co-workers were executed. No fire balls. And no upsetting remains - except the dead bodies.

My sister-in-law touched the roof of the car. Nothing was left of her and there was a large hole in the road afterwards. Her death was reported in the local newspaper.

(P.S, I miss the hiker. Did you assist in her deletion? I wouldn't vote to delete my mother-in-law if she had an account here. Voting to have her burned while tied to a stake - maybe.)

To sunshine girl:

"Did your brother sue the guy in civil court?"

He said the guy didn't have anything to sue for. I think he said he got about 100 grand from the guy's auto insurance without a problem.

His big lawsuit was against the power company. He said they put the power back on without doing a standard safety check. I don't know!

I offered to take him to a big law firm in New London, Ct. He didn't take my advice and got very little many years later. He claimed part of the money he got went to the prison for room and board. I still don't believe that. Never did and probably never will unless I say paperwork.

He was in jail at the time of her death - for hitting a cop sent to their house over a loud domestic argument. They released him immediately after her death.
 Laidbackguy1964
Msg: 50
Posted: 6/29/2017 10:09:13 AM
I,ve opened and held opened doors for men and women, I,ve helped old ladies across the street, I,ve handed in wallets, I,ve volunteered for various charities, I,ve rescued sheep and kept them as pets, I,ve given money to beggars before, I,ve let old ladies go in front of me in a cue...I have done many kind deeds and it make's one feel good, contributing in a positive way..., I even stopped a pram, with a baby in it, going into the road before? Yes the mother forgot to put the breaks on it and was chatting away to someone and I grabbed the pram quick...If everyone did their bit, then perhaps society,would be a little bit more tolerable???
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The Kindness of Strangers