Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Aggers
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Lies on pof members profiles.Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
The last date I went on, over a year ago, the said lady's post date remarks were; and this was after hundreds of messages, many texts and phone calls, over a 3 week period before said "date night" in the getting to know you stakes.

"I wish you were better looking, as your command of the English language and your communication skills are brilliant, but I could just not introduce you to my family or friends, because you are just not as attractive in real life as you come across in your profile" I can live with that critique, maybe? But:-

Then she proceeded to say

"Could you not become a guru or profile writer for the good looking guys, on here"

It's nice to know I have some skills, eh?
 DJJokerit
Msg: 25
Lies on pof members profiles.
Posted: 6/1/2016 10:44:09 AM
same with me on tastebuds.fm
 Aggers
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2016 2:48:01 PM
Nah, as you know Woz, I was well chuffed with the comment! Made me feel miles better and built my confidence, but I am so glad that my elequont skills give so many hours of entertainment. HTH
 G3 M1 N1
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2016 3:32:39 PM
Think yourself lucky it's only that, one I chatted to for awhile with intention to meet revealed over a 2 week period to be maxxed out on 2 credit cards, sometimes it's what they don'y say, rather than what they do.
I half expect women to lie about their age, its pointless really and unhelpful if your searching for someone of a comparative age to yourself.
The absolute worst though is women who say "I look and act well younger than my age, and require a young stud muffin under x age! Get a grip ladies you are your age no matter how you think you look. Men are probably as bad no doubt some of the women will reply with, and fair 'nuff, no doubt for some, but not all of us delude ourselves looking for a teen/twenty something when in our 40's or 50's. Age has a habit of catching up suddenly.
 G3 M1 N1
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2016 11:20:20 AM

Posted: 7/11/2016 11:03:03 AM

one I chatted to for awhile with intention to meet revealed over a 2 week period to be maxxed out on 2 credit cards

Are you looking for a partner or a matching credit score? Unless she was asking me to pay it off i couldn't care less.

Looking for a partner, but not one where I would be responsible for her past debt problems. If your wife had debts (if theoretically you had one) you are responsible for them apparently. Now, think how much two cards maxxed out are likely to be, and her home was being repossessed too, and she mentioned other debts. Would you want to start out a relationship in that situation? You chat a few times on here, and just before you meet you get informed of the issues they are facing because of their choices to do certain things.
I don't mean to sound unfeeling or caring, I minimised what I said about her as that is her business .... but I doubt I would be in a position to bail her out. My brothers wife caught him like this for thousands before they parted, I am talking 5 figures here, ignoring the pence!
 gimllog
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2016 11:54:18 PM

Looking for a partner, but not one where I would be responsible for her past debt problems
i think its to be expected that when you start a new relationship there will be issues that may need to be resolved together. Meeting/finding out your potential partner has debts shouldn't really be an issue , sometimes your advice is all that is needed for them to manage the debt . Unless of course they make it clear that they expect you to pay them off for them. Then its time to start looking for an exit strategy.
When looking at someones profile ,you got to understand its an advertisement a hook to entice you to find out more about the person , Like most adverts they emphasize the positives and downplay or even omit any negatives, A good profile/advert will give the reader what they are looking for , So yeah some would dam right lie to gain an advantage -
Those pesky humans can be really ruthless in their quest sometimes..
 G3 M1 N1
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2016 3:48:18 PM

i think its to be expected that when you start a new relationship there will be issues that may need to be resolved together. Meeting/finding out your potential partner has debts shouldn't really be an issue , sometimes your advice is all that is needed for them to manage the debt.

I think everyone expects some degree of not so great things come along with the more positive aspects of another person entering your life. Having said that, there are "normal" levels of things and then folk who need a great deal of help such as the lady in question. Perhaps its me having wary thoughts, but with so much debt I could only think she was grasping at straws for a new life and a way out of her debt issues. Hopefully she has found a better way by now of managing it all, even if declaring herself bankrupt ...... like having children in a floundering marriage, grabbing anyone as a plaster sure won't work for the relationship.
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 34
Posted: 7/15/2016 3:02:04 AM
Debt issues that size are a very large Red Flag.........

Baffinland_Dog
Msg: 35
Posted: 7/16/2016 3:41:49 AM
Closer to 600/5 or 120/1
This is rough estimate because a search only goes to 600, I did a test in my area

men looking for lady (45-55) within 5 miles and that was 600 plus
lady looking for men (45-55) within 5 miles (which got expanded to 25 then I set back to 8) and that was 12, so I had to manually check distance which gave 5

It may vary be area
 npw7557
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2016 9:31:21 AM

Am I the only one to notice that attempts at on-line humour
are usually totally misread?

Almost everyone is looking for a good sense of humour in their profile.
In 99% of cases where I send a joke as first message I get a nasty/abrupt reply.
"Are you trying to be funny?" is a common reply ?
Well yes I was ! I thought you had a good sense of humour?

I would guess that what women really want someone who is serious and isn't going to joke and mess about.
GSOH is just a standard line used by most people.
 skiptalker
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2016 12:29:56 PM
apparently dump truck has morphed to average size somehow....
 TucsonPug
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2016 12:38:35 PM
Men too, a few extra pounds translate to about 5 stone over weight lol, maybe they've got fairground mirrors.
Men with heads like bowling balls and a neck that is bigger than their head.
 skiptalker
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2016 1:23:13 PM
its all the photos that are only from the neck up that make me pass on by..why do women kid themselves on a date all will be revealed anyway?
 TucsonPug
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2016 1:36:42 PM
I describe myself as average and I'm a 10/12 but far from skinny and even further from fat lol, so that leaves average, well it does to me.
My friend is a size 16 but she's 6 foot tall and looks thinner than me, all things are relative.
 Shewymacfee
Msg: 44
Posted: 9/9/2016 6:20:42 AM
I messaged what I thought was a very good match to what I was looking for, we messaged for almost 2 weeks when I asked if I could come to her home town for a meeting.
She lived in a lovely historical town, so I thought that even if we didn't hit it off I could at least explore.
Eventually she said yes we will meet and I said that I had a 30 mile drive so it would be around lunchtime when I will arrive.
Well without going into many details, we met up in Starbucks (an easy place to find so no excuses for being late) 12:00 passed, 12:30 passed , texted her she said on her way 2:00 came I texted to say can't wait any longer and will arrange another meet, she insisted she will be their, Anyway almost 3pm she eventually shows up, she did look like her photo, but it had obviously been taken a few years ago (ignored this) I wasn't too happy about hanging around for so long but did not show it. Well she was so drunk she could hardly stand, was potty mouthed to say the least, her profile stated she does not drink, she said lets go for a meal, (sorry I've been well put off by this time) I said we can have a Subway if she liked.
In Subway's she had a go at the girl serving, thats when I walked out, she stormed into the street with a torrent of abuse, ignored her and I just carried on walking to my car and drove home.
Her profile did definitely say, non drinker, photo at least 5 years out of date, calm loving nature looking for the same in my search, life is too short for confrontations Etc.
Now dont expect too much from what is stated on profiles, Lesson learned
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 45
Posted: 9/9/2016 8:57:54 AM

My friend is a size 16 but she's 6 foot tall and looks thinner than me, all things are relative

-sweeping.....THANK YOU.....
Us little people have to be extra slim just to be average, s'not fair :)
 BeyondtheMatrix
Msg: 46
Posted: 9/10/2016 1:24:04 PM

. . . there are actually people out there that shallow and capable of expressing an idiotic opinion like that! -- cheshiresalt

People have a right to express whatever they want. There are radical Islamics in the heart of London, standing in the open for all to see, screaming for the death of Britain and demanding that British women appear in public dressed in a certain way.

Why don't you call them 'shallow' and 'idiotic'?

Or is that . . . different?

We are a strange species, the human race. We love our pomposity and self-righteousness, steeped in our collective illusion, safe and secure behind our keyboard as we judge and criticise to our heart's content. Nothing wrong with judging and criticizing, but . . . let others do the same.

Best wishes
- Peter
 Steve_Sandy
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2016 11:08:19 AM
recall going to a date in some pub, the lass had lots of photos of her standing around posing and then she walked in with a pair of crutches that she had forgotten to mention that she needs all the time
 Kodanshi
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2016 10:52:46 AM
'Will talk to anyone!'
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 51
Posted: 10/6/2016 11:10:45 AM
I can recall 'adjusting' my height to 6'5" and the views went off the page..........
Ho Hum

imanorangetiger
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2016 6:05:36 AM

I was chatting to one a few weeks ago who's profile said she had no children (which is what i'm looking for) 15-20 messages in she said she did have children, young ones too. Her (frankly fcuking laughable) reason for lying was apparently peados trawl dating sites for women with kids!? .....i was so pi$$ed off with her for wasting my time i just blocked and moved on.

Harsh.
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2016 10:35:12 AM

I have a guy who uses a models photos who views me. he keeps changing his photos round so it catches me out but his profile is all about how he is going to stalk women and rape them etc because they are all superficial and hence it will be their fault when he does all these awful things etc... Its just awful.

Please tell me that you've reported that particular profile!
 try1more
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2016 2:25:26 PM
"Please tell me that you've reported that particular profile!"

i would have to have read it to say that.
sounds like an attempt at humour to me, claiming to be all the things some women think men are, if you had read some of the posts on the likes of mumsnet forums you would know what i mean.
perhaps beans should have pulled him on it?
i've read similar womens profiles which gave me a smile, never bothered to message em though ...think i should check that all the doors n windows are shut n locked, maybe buy an attack dog...etc etc
 badge73
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2016 3:39:14 AM

The whole children and marriage thing makes me laugh. Some thing I am "damaged" because i haven't had children or been married so their thinking is what is "wrong" with me where as other see it as highly attractive and desirable that I have managed to avoid those mistakes! So doesn't matter what you do some will like it others will not so may as well just be yourself from the get go... So much easier and less complicated in a process that is already complicated enough as it is

at least it shows your independent, being independent i find is one the biggest fibs women put on their profiles .... claim to be independent and yet have 3 or 4 kids and half a dozen pets, so every time you say lets go out, its always cant do it as little johnny wants me to stop in or the hamster has the shits.

long gone are the days where you could pull up on a motorbike, or car and say lets get out of here and go somewhere and do something .... sighs!!
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 60
Posted: 10/11/2016 11:43:01 AM
Do you think roddangler (thread down there) is telling the truth with his username?
probably a fishing reference, I'd feel cheated
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >