Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Guess I Need Someone To Be Nitpicky!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BoardGamerGeek
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Guess I Need Someone To Be Nitpicky!Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
We call them charity shops here, hence the word "thrift" wasn't as apparent.

I'd rather not go through the hassle of deleting and rejoining - I think the username is the least of my worries.

I've re-worded the majority of the "shares" - I'd call that a major nitpick but hey, I asked for them!

It was frustrating having ladies message (on the rare occasions they do) and barely write "hi how are you" as their whole message, it shows little to no effort and just gets my hopes up when I get a message notification. Men never messaged thankfully though some middle aged ladies did. You only get two options here for distance that being under 75 miles and anything over that. It's a weird system but suffice to say I know first hand that long distance relationships don't work so ideally I'm keeping the distance to 25 miles but POF doesn't have that feature on mail restrictions, only on searches.
 call_me_tater
Msg: 40
Guess I Need Someone To Be Nitpicky!
Posted: 1/1/2016 8:58:09 PM
This is "excuse week" here in PR...
 BoardGamerGeek
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2016 4:09:30 PM
Technically that's all PR's. And in this case the excuses match to what it's like with online dating in the UK!
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2016 5:15:25 PM
ndm147

Wealthy corporations have all the tax dodges in place, Google being one of them and Apple, to mention only two.

It is the little man that gets harassed about paying his.

Now that you have declared you are wealthy the "gold diggers" will come out of the woodwork, the toy boys and the cougar hunters. Beware lol!!
 BoardGamerGeek
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2016 4:43:12 PM
??? Not sure what that was supposed to mean but what the hell! Minor changes have been made, but frankly it still needs to be crystal clear to the other person that I'm a geek, I don't want kids, I don't have a grizzly beard or goatee, I don't have menacing tattoos and I'm not ripped with a 6 pack. Obviously they want all but the geek aspect of that normally but hey.
 2ufo
Msg: 44
Posted: 5/2/2016 7:33:31 PM

The mail restrictions have been removed

No, they haven't.

...even though I still don't believe most UK girls really care what your restrictions are because they never get that far down the profile page anyway.

From this and an earlier message, it sounds like you don't realize that the mail restrictions aren't meant to be read but they prevent mail from anyone outside of your parameters. So, if a person is two days or one mile outside your mail restrictions, she gets an email saying, basically, 'move along and try someone else' while you have no idea that anyone tried to email. If you're getting plenty of email that presents you with a satisfactory selection, then that's great and you can leave them up.
 BoardGamerGeek
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2016 11:59:04 PM
They have been removed to the extent that I've made them more flexible. But I ain't after long distance or a huge elder age gap.
 call_me_tater
Msg: 46
Posted: 5/5/2016 7:58:59 AM
Luke,

Part of your problem will be the not wanting children, since you are looking for younger women.
Are you ok with women who already have kids? Mention something.
Issue is that if you are messaging women who want kids, have them or are undecided, they will see you don't and won't reply.
Not much sense in wasting your time.
There are people in the forums in the same situation and it is harder for them but not impossible.
If you do a search, you can find lots about it.

This troubles me:
You can hardly miss the board games in my photo, which you're probably confused by, but they are a fun part of my life! I run a games club in Portsmouth every fortnight, I support local game shops and cafes by volunteering my teaching skills and I run my own blog as well that's growing in popularity over time. It's all about the social interaction with others, don't knock it till you've tried it, I've single handedly converted some friend's kids away from their Playstations and on to something much more beneficial for their development. I'd love to introduce the hobby to you even if you don't know much about it, you never know you might enjoy it and it's a great way to spend time together!
There's a touch of arrogance and defensiveness in your wording.
We are talking about playing board games, not brain surgery, right?
It's great that you have a passion but don't condescend.

Talk of food allergies?

You have quite a few grammar and punctuation errors, so clean that up.

Caption on head shot needs to go--it's bad.
 BoardGamerGeek
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2016 2:38:30 AM
I don't see any punctuation errors - certainly none that are going to affect anyone's reading unless they're really OCD on their English in which case, I'm not fussed if they go elsewhere.

I have to constantly defend my hobby as most people will seek geeks as "the undateables"- it's not something I'm going to change about myself, but clearly the world wants grizzly sports personalities with ripped bodies and tattoos so I'm having to make do with what little I have.

Food allergies? Why?

Head shot caption just emphasises that's my current look. I'm sick of girls who put photos that are 2-3 years old on their profile where they are slim only to find that they've put on loads of weight since and not updated.

The fact I don't want kids should automatically answer that I don't want someone who already has kids. Besides I'm sure that's a setting you put in in that list somewhere. And yes it's reducing the lady base by a ton, but hey, I want to enjoy life, kids won't help me do that.

I like jeans and polo shirts/shirts, it's my casual look. If I had more photos of me dressed up I'd include them but I don't have a massive wardrobe and most of the time people aren't taking photos of me and when they do I usually hate them because I come out so badly on photos. Best I ever look is when I'm at the gym and my body has tensed up to show off the muscle rather than the flab. But of course we can't put THOSE up online.

I really don't have the time to redo the whole profile again just for the name, if girls are that fickle anyway then they can gladly stay away as I do not want a girl who's that shallow and narrow minded.
 Scaretale
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2016 6:58:06 AM
If you're getting a lot of responses, then yeah, keep ignoring everyone's thoughts.

If you want more attention from girls on here, then maybe you should consider some of the suggestions.

I only have 2:

1. Remove all your exclamation points. They really change the way people read your text, like Leslie said.

2. I think you should re-phrase this sentence. It's cool that you're a gamer, but you're almost going overkill on your passion.

It's all about the social interaction with others, don't knock it till you've tried it, I've single handedly converted some friend's kids away from their Playstations and on to something much more beneficial for their development

Maybe this instead:
I love the social interaction with others, and the joy of converting some friend's kids away from their Playstations.
 call_me_tater
Msg: 49
Posted: 5/6/2016 7:22:13 AM
Well alrighty then.
Our work is done here.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Guess I Need Someone To Be Nitpicky!