Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 337
LADIES - A Question of Height...Page 14 of 16    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)
^^ How does that prove all those women were “picky” about height??

I think the “simple fact” is that most men are taller than most women.
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 338
LADIES - A Question of Height...
Posted: 2/18/2016 3:21:16 PM
thanks hottie..a ray of Sunshine as always..
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 339
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2016 3:25:02 PM
Proving real-life matching statistics to an online dating crowd is like throwing a bullet instead of shooting it. People online DO NOT CARE. They want what they want, and to hell with anyone who can prove their wants are obscenely fantastic or stupid. Nobody wants 'below' average. Nobody. In income, height, expectations, and general character of a person - everyone - every single online dating person - believes they are a 'good' match for someone 'above' average. Maybe one or two of them will concede on a single major statistic, but for the most part, if you are under that 'average' line, you might as well be a ghost when it comes to online dating.

What's really messed up is what people BELIEVE is 'average'. I live in a middle class suburb that has higher class anticipations, and serves as a major commercial shopping area for the region. I've talked to several people in the community - bars, churches, stores - everywhere. Married AND single. If the conversation came around to talking about income or taxes in the area, I'd ask them what they believed the 'average' income was. Most would answer somewhere around their OWN income, what THEY pay in taxes, or what THEY owned for property. Most had NO CLUE what the true census data and tax information for the city and county revealed.

My point is that a lot of the time, people have no freaking clue what is 'real' beyond their own little world. That's why making a decent match in here is nearly impossible - because people believe what they WANT to believe, and really don't give a damn about anyone else. BEING a good match for someone is when you decide to put your own selfish fantasy needs aside and just BE there for someone. Unfortunately, some people would rather live decades alone with a chip on their shoulder - because being 'wrong' is ALWAYS worse than being alone.
 crook_catcher
Msg: 340
Posted: 2/18/2016 3:43:50 PM

BEING a good match for someone is when you decide to put your own selfish fantasy needs aside and just BE there for someone.

Just be there? Are you talking about in a dating relationship here or what? I can't imagine anyone feeling the need to just be there when trying to find a compatible partner to date.

Selfish fantasy needs? So personal preference is a selfish fantasy need?

Just because someone's "needs" don't include you (example) doesn't mean they're selfish. Personally I wouldn't think so

Unfortunately, some people would rather live decades alone with a chip on their shoulder - because being 'wrong' is ALWAYS worse than being alone.

I suppose I would rather go out alone than have to fake it with someone I really never desired or loved. But I guess I understand what they mean when they say "I could learn to love you?" I can't see that as a fair option to either party.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 341
Posted: 2/18/2016 4:51:58 PM
Selfish fantasy? dafuq you smoking>
No, women and men can be attracted to who they want - it isn't selfish nor a fantasy. The fantasy is in thinking that people should set aside their preferences to " give you a chance"
Honest like a kid repeating BUT WHY when they can't get something at a store.
I had a friend, kid was a terror he was moaning and groaning about wanting some toy.. she snapped like a cracker in the store and dumped her purse out, screaming " I have no money! No money, do you see any money???" People edging away from her as she is going to blow
Kid says
" can't you write a cheque?"
He lived, but barely
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 342
Posted: 2/18/2016 5:08:24 PM
if a guy "looks tall" sitting on his wallet..

he'll do well in the dating game..regardless of how physically vertically challenged he may be while standing..
 Lasthookbringsme
Msg: 343
Posted: 2/19/2016 3:05:27 AM

BEING a good match for someone is when you decide to put your own selfish fantasy needs aside and just BE there for someone.

Right, because as we all know, your dating prospects (that YOU find a match) were born just to be with you, serve you, and do whatever they are required to make sure you aren't offended by anybody's preferences.

Nobody is obligated to **** you, pay attention, give you the time of day, especially when you both have never met, even if you both think you're a good match.

Ongoing, mutual consent is the engine that runs healthy relationships.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 344
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2016 5:58:28 AM

That maybe good for a LTR, but on here people should be trying for a fun first few dates. Being there for someone implies a much longer relationship and having a SO or friend that is troubled in some way.

Sometime you remind me of the trials of Job.

Addressing the theme of God's justice in the face of human suffering, "Why do the righteous suffer?" That seems to be one of your themes.
 crook_catcher
Msg: 345
Posted: 2/19/2016 6:55:27 AM

"Why do the righteous suffer?" That seems to be one of your themes.

Lol. Sounds about right.
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 346
Posted: 2/19/2016 7:42:44 AM
maybe go somewhere where men are still men and women are US$ 50..or less..SE Asia and Colombia are very popular I've heard..Colombia not so far from USA..never been in Medellin but heard estimates that probably about 20% of the women there could be prepagos

plus most women in these places are shorter.

if you're 5'2" but have lotsa Jacksons in your wallet you're going to appear as if 6'6"

true everywhere but more so in relatively poorer countries..
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 347
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2016 11:02:09 AM

I have never seen any sort of proof women are less picky about height in real life.
Me either. ....... as I looked around, 90% of the couples featured a man taller than the woman. All ages, all races. Simple fact.

First, let me clarify: It's that women are More picky about "height" -- and other particulars -- Online vs gauging men they don't know IRL. Many (notably good catch) women are overly-finicky when going about things online. Height is a concern when meeting someone online -- otherwise we wouldn't have threads like this so much. :) It's particularly more picky online than IRL when the guy is taller than she, but his height Number is below average male height or her set "line". Scanning online is in a different gear for many is what I'm saying. That's why someone like Hawking @ 5'4", who's wanting to only mesh with a gal who (outside of height tastes) in his league at least -- shouldn't Rely online, but use it as another tool in the toolbelt, but IRL to gals shorter than he won't be "Next"-ing him so readily.

Also, seeing couples out IRL doesn't mean they met IRL. We don't know the circumstances they met and clicked -- which is what the online vs IRL: The filtering process and assessment as to whether they like them or not.

People online DO NOT CARE. They want what they want, and to hell with anyone who can prove their wants are obscenely fantastic or stupid. Nobody wants 'below' average. Nobody. In income, height, expectations, and general character of a person - everyone - every single online dating person - believes they are a 'good' match for someone 'above' average. Maybe one or two of them will concede on a single major statistic, but for the most part, if you are under that 'average' line, you might as well be a ghost when it comes to online dating.

Yes, I totally agree. They do not care about how they're going about it, but they do certainly care too much about specifics they otherwise wouldn't SO much, when online. They're far more picky when online. Not EVERYONE mind you -- but most decent catches are. Not only is it a different gear of being online where Specifics Stare You In The Face to match up with -- but also if you get flooded with many people knocking at your door suddenly, you're naturally going to be more picky anyway.
 Chromis1
Msg: 348
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2016 12:39:49 PM

"Why do the righteous suffer?" That seems to be one of your themes.

Lol. Sounds about right.

Seconded.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 349
Posted: 2/19/2016 8:12:21 PM

Also, seeing couples out IRL doesn't mean they met IRL. We don't know the circumstances they met and clicked -- which is what the online vs IRL: The filtering process and assessment as to whether they like them or not.

I'm not sure why some people make the acceptance of reality so difficult.

From "research.similarminds.com":

"These are anonymous self reported results but they match up very well with previous research on this topic. In a study by Gillis and Avis (1980) only 2 couples out of 720 consisted of a pair in which the man was shorter than the woman. In a study by Hensley (1994) women most preferred a man who was 72 inches (6ft) tall. In a study by Cameron (1978), 100 percent of the women advertised the desire to date a man who was 4 inches taller than themselves."

Couples who met before 1980 and 1978 could not have met online. And even up to 1994 was highly unlikely.
 Chromis1
Msg: 350
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2016 8:20:41 AM

100 percent of the women advertised the desire to date a man who was 4 inches taller than themselves.

An interesting stat, but almost meaningless when the rubber hits the road. So many other factors trump this 4 inch preference. But, ahem, one of those would not be 4 inches.
 Stellan77
Msg: 351
Posted: 2/20/2016 8:47:35 AM
My own mother was 2 inches taller than my dad, and I believe she was the one who proposed marriage to him. How did that work out? Am I an anamoly?
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 352
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2016 8:59:14 AM

"These are anonymous self reported results but they match up very well with previous research on this topic. In a study by Gillis and Avis (1980) only 2 couples out of 720 consisted of a pair in which the man was shorter than the woman. In a study by Hensley (1994) women most preferred a man who was 72 inches (6ft) tall. In a study by Cameron (1978), 100 percent of the women advertised the desire to date a man who was 4 inches taller than themselves."

Interesting, not surprising. Online or IRL, women want taller men -- of course. Never argued against that by any means. It's just that it's a tougher uphill battle online, because...

An interesting stat, but almost meaningless when the rubber hits the road.

... online, the rubber isn't hitting the road. It's a stat & picture analysis (along with validation from fellow peers for some). Namely different for shorter gals where the short guy is still taller than she, but IRL, she sees/feels he's taller, as opposed to being online sizing up stats (+ what guys may or may not be embellishing on).

Add to it that a reasonably attractive gal online has a flooded inbox and will tend to be more choosy comparatively (online is a good recommendation for a single gal who needs an attention esteem boost).

I think it could be advantageous online vs IRL to at least land a date for the short guy:
- When the girl doesn't put the height thing in perspective (low chance)
- Or not properly enough as a newbie to online dating, when she's a heels wearer and "oh" -- they're about the same height (especially if he added an extra inch on profile)
- Approaching & getting shot down is Easier online than IRL -- and so it's easier to hit the small minority of tastes online in a populated area if you're put some time into it

My own mother was 2 inches taller than my dad, and I believe she was the one who proposed marriage to him. How did that work out? Am I an anamoly?

Are they an anomaly? With that combo of taller than he and proposing to he -- Most Definitely. And on each attribute, in the small (no pun intended) minority.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 353
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2016 9:56:17 AM

norwegianguy456 Interesting, not surprising. Online or IRL, women want taller men -- of course. Never argued against that by any means. It's just that it's a tougher uphill battle online, because...

So do you think this is an obvious corollary?

Most taller men have no game at all, they get more women solely because they are taller. They only think they have game.

I was also thinking when this taller guy does go online, he is shocked that not all women are flocking to him. Thus we get all the entitled princess types of threads.
 Chromis1
Msg: 354
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2016 10:02:26 AM

... online, the rubber isn't hitting the road. It's a stat & picture analysis (along with validation from fellow peers for some). Namely different for shorter gals where the short guy is still taller than she, but IRL, she sees/feels he's taller, as opposed to being online sizing up stats (+ what guys may or may not be embellishing on).

The only part of this paragraph I understood is the first sentence, with which I disagree.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 355
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2016 11:08:45 AM

So do you think this is an obvious corollary? [That it's a tougher uphill battle online than IRL for shorter guys]

Yes. A guy could have low self esteem IRL, and very optimistic online -- so I'm not saying it's an absolute, nothing really is. Just saying, in general, it's a tougher battle for a guy for below-average height to find a reasonably attractive woman or more, online (assuming he doesn't lie about his height of course).

Most taller men have no game at all, they get more women solely because they are taller. They only think they have game.

I don't agree. That's a pretty bold assumption. Non-short guys don't lack game. There's no shortage on shorter guys having a lack of game. I would agree that you will find maybe a higher % of below-average-height guys who Are active in the bar/dating/singles scene having Good Game, though.

I was also thinking when this taller guy does go online, he is shocked that not all women are flocking to him. Thus we get all the entitled princess types of threads.

Nobody's saying that average or above-average height guys have women flocking to him online. It's not a height-only thing by any means, and there's a significant men:women ratio. It's that below average height guys are not wanted as much, and solidly below average height guys aren't even moreso.

... online, the rubber isn't hitting the road.
The only part of this paragraph I understood is the first sentence, with which I disagree.
How is an online profile in a search list on a gal's computer having the rubbing hitting the road? Wouldn't IRL mingling be more the rubber meeting the road?

I think it's pretty simple to understand that online is more a stat & picture analysis, than strangers mingling face to face (IRL). But to clarify my last sentence: A solidly below-average height guy is going to have even better luck IRL with shorter girls. It's because IRL she's in the presence of someone taller, rather than a gal with a stat mindset ("wanna guy who's X height"). It's my reference to rubber hitting the road making height requirements less stringent.
 south_city
Msg: 356
Posted: 2/27/2016 7:32:20 PM

I agree that it's a social faux-pas, that, ironically, runs on stereotype to Not like it (assumption they're racist or less racist but uptight). When you're in a diverse society where you Only want the Majority race/look, it'll bring that. When you want a minority race/look, it'll bring another type of assumption/stereotype upon you too. Best not to mention it, as if the gal's reasonably attractive, she's going to get a lot of mail from dudes she's not interested in anyway.

A woman saying she is attracted to men from a different race on her profile would probably piss off some men from her own race. But the people angry about this probably aren't her target audience anyways.
 Stellan77
Msg: 357
Posted: 2/27/2016 8:51:55 PM
There are health benefits associated with being short. A study showed that men who stood less than 5'8 lived to an average age of 82, while those over 6'0 lived to 73. This is because a gene that is associated with longevity also causes shortness.
 showboatsupreme
Msg: 358
Posted: 2/27/2016 9:17:26 PM
It would appear that the quantity of sex at a younger age takes its toll on the heart.
 Maleman999
Msg: 359
Posted: 2/28/2016 9:03:50 AM

There are health benefits associated with being short. A study showed that men who stood less than 5'8 lived to an average age of 82, while those over 6'0 lived to 73. This is because a gene that is associated with longevity also causes shortness.

Who does a study that compares people's height to their life span? There's nothing that could be done about it, so what's the point? Ir's like comparing eye color or hair color to life span. It was probably done by a short guy who was constantly rejected by women because of his lack of stature. And I don't buy the theory that a gene causes both shortness and a long life, and tall people have genes that cause a shorter life span. I think life span is associated with a person's environment, life style and family medical history more than anything else.
 Stellan77
Msg: 360
Posted: 2/28/2016 10:47:01 AM
^^^ Dragon Bytes mentioned this before. He will be here to discuss this.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 361
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2016 11:13:18 AM
^^^ Too true.

Who does a study that compares people's height to their life span? There's nothing that could be done about it, so what's the point?

The point of the study was to look at people that had a naturally long life span. They wanted to discover why, and maybe they could use that information to help all people.

It was found out that the FOXO3 resulted in people with longer life spans. The gene is also linked to human body size. The study was divided between those that were 5.2 or shorter, and 5.4 or taller. They found a direct correlation between body size and longevity.

Scientist wanted to see what genes controlled longevity, and see if it is possible to take this knowledge and apply it to everyone.

(You might as well ask why study the universe or distant stars, or even our own sun. It isn't like we can control the sun or can travel to these far off places. Or why study male height and dating, it isn't like it's practical to become taller. We study things to gain knowledge, it's why we are the dominate species. )

A side issues, in the near future people will be able to select genes in their offspring, scientist were worried that many would select for taller height with unintended consequence like increased cancer or short lifespans. It's extremely dangerous to tinker with one gene and try and to predict the overall results.

BTW, it's now known that at least 400 separate genes influence height. You can google fox03 and decide for yourself if it means anything.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >