Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Militiamen occupy U.S. national parks building in Oregon      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 26
Militiamen occupy U.S. national parks building in OregonPage 2 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Wouldn’t this get more attention, or receive a swift response from federal authorities if this group of thugs were a group of legally armed American citizens of Muslim, blacks or Hispanics descent?

In my opinion, if this was a group of legally armed American citizens of Muslim, blacks or Hispanics descent, the armed standoff will be over immediately after declaring, “we will be here for as long as it takes”,
 carolann0308
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Militiamen occupy U.S. national parks building in Oregon
Posted: 1/6/2016 7:51:09 AM
The town is not with them, and no officer is willing to get shot over the occupation of a remote bird sanctuary. The police should just continue to patrol so no one else gets in, and the media eventually gets bored.
The Ammons are just blow hard trouble makers.
 villabolos
Msg: 28
Posted: 1/6/2016 7:54:42 AM
You are a stereotypical minority here in the U.S., laughter.
All you want to do is be a victim and blame everything on race, race, race, race
It is so tiresome.

As far as the indians go, nobody is forcing them to live on a reservation.
They are free to leave the reservation and make better lives for themselves. They are also free not to accept their monthly checks.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 29
Posted: 1/6/2016 8:10:09 AM
Ammon Bundy and his militia went to Oregon to "help" the Hammond's. Thing is...the Hammond's don't want Bundy's militia's help...neither do most Oregonians:

Ammon Bundy came to Oregon hoping to rally support behind his cause, but his tactics have been broadly rejected by many locals, by the state's main ranching group and by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, which the Bundy family has belonged to for generations....

The ranchers that Ammon Bundy came to defend rejected his assistance and on Monday voluntarily surrendered to serve a federal prison term on a 2012 conviction on charges of committing arson on federal land.

A leader of the group Oath Keepers_past and present members of the military, first-responders and police officers who pledge to uphold the Constitution— issued a statement saying Ammon Bundy has gone too far. Many Oath Keepers were at the 2014 Bundy ranch standoff in Nevada.

But in Oregon, Oath Keeper founder Stewart Rhodes said, Ammon Bundy had picked the wrong battle.

"We cannot force ourselves or our protection on people who do not want it," Rhodes said last week on the group's website.

Speaking through their attorney, Dwight Hammond Jr. and son Steven said they preferred to turn themselves in and serve out their sentence.

"And that clear statement of their intent should be the end of the discussion on this," Rhodes said...

Many locals agree with Ammon Bundy that the second Hammond sentence was too harsh, considering the crime. But they disapprove of Bundy's occupation and fear it could lead to violence.

Those concerns were shared by John O'Keeffe, president of the Oregon Cattleman's Association, who said Monday that his group "does not support illegal activity taken against the government."
http://news.yahoo.com/man-behind-armed-oregon-band-says-hes-mission-214259183.html?nf=1

Just more intolerant radical conservatives giving "help" where it's not wanted.

Bundy, who is an anti-government radical took an SBA loan of $530,000...just another radical conservative hypocrite!
 gtomustang
Msg: 30
Posted: 1/6/2016 8:12:58 AM
well, the gov't does have its own side of the story, that the fire was to cover up traces of deer poaching. It does sound like the people willing to go to jail, had annoying neighbors who decided to use their right to their land to cut off water flowing off of it to other properties. I think Libertarians agree that people can do what they want with their own land, but don't know their stance on water.

we'll see how it all shakes loose.
 LLove2LaughToo
Msg: 31
Posted: 1/6/2016 8:39:17 AM

Msg: 29
Bundy, who is an anti-government radical took an SBA loan of $530,000...just another radical conservative hypocrite!

And he has the gall to say that taking a six-figure loan from the Small Business Administration doesn't conflict with his political philosophy.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/05/us/oregon-wildlife-refuge-armed-protest/
 cotter
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2016 8:41:24 AM
Message 27 ...
The town is not with them, and no officer is willing to get shot over the occupation of a remote bird sanctuary.
It is certainly admirable that there are no hot-headed heavy gun handed police involved.

The police should just continue to patrol so no one else gets in, and the media eventually gets bored.
Yes but unfortunately, they appear to have let some people take in provisions last night. I think "gto" had the right idea ... seal them off and when the provisions run out, they will be done. Starve the out.

The Ammons are just blow hard trouble makers.
To say the least.

They want the government to turn the land back over to the people. However these are the kind of people who would use it and abuse it to their own profit and never maintain it for others to appreciate as the park system now does. Anyways, we all pay to keep the land up and maintain preserves for our precious wildlife that is losing their homes to land development, more pollution, more destruction of the beauty of our country.

These people are "takers" and in no way "givers" or "preservers".
 deetristate
Msg: 33
Posted: 1/6/2016 8:58:39 AM
Their attorneys are smart to tell the Hammonds to sit back and say,"We don't want this." Otherwise,the feds may charge them with inciting terrorism or some such ridiculousness.

The Atlantic has an interesting take on this, in part:
JAN 5, 2016 POLITICS
"""The activists who began occupying government buildings in the Oregon wilderness over the weekend say that they’re protesting how federal authorities treated rancher Dwight Hammond, 73, and Steven Hammond, his middle-aged son.

Federal authorities charged the Hammonds with arson after they set a series of fires that spread to public land. A 2001 fire accidentally burned beyond their property line, according to The New York Times. The Department of Justice says it was set to cover up an illegal deer hunt, while the men say that they were burning away an invasive plant species on their land. Years later in 2006, “a burn ban was in effect while firefighters battled blazes started by a lightning storm on a hot day in August,” the newspaper reported. “Steven Hammond had started a ‘back burn’ to prevent the blaze from destroying the family’s winter feed for its cattle.” It was reported by Bureau of Land Management firefighters in the area, and the Justice Department notes that they “took steps to ensure their safety.” It burned about an acre of public land, causing less than $1,000 in damage. Charged with a number of crimes related to arson, the father was convicted of just one count of arson while the son was convicted of two counts for the wilderness fires. The government used an anti-terrorism statute to secure its convictions."""

The article went on to say about left/libertarians finding it funny that it happened to right-wingers:

"about vanquishing mandatory minimums could have used the news story about the Hammonds to broaden awareness and opposition to the practice among members of the Red Tribe. Libertarian intellectuals oppose mandatory minimums. Why not the populist right, too? Some folks in rural areas who’ve never known about the laws, or think that they only affect people in cities, might change their minds if they were to find out that what happened to the Hammonds is routine; that many Americans have suffered far more egregious sentences; and that mandatory minimums affect all sorts of defendants.

Yes, the Oregon protestors have a larger agenda about the management of federal lands in the West and the degree to which they ought to be under local control.

Still, in their opposition to mandatory minimums, they share common ground with the left.

As Jacob Sullum explains, the judge who tried to impose lesser sentences on the Hammonds chose punishments “within the ranges recommended by federal sentencing guidelines that would have applied but for the statutory minimum.” In doing so, he argued that mandatory-minimum laws run afoul of the Constitution’s prohibition against cruel and unusual punishments, legal reasoning that surely appeals to at least some leftist opponents of mandatory minimums."""

In response to below, these guys are mostly real men hard types, not city work at a desk metrosexual types. It wouldn't surprise me if the brought generators and lots of gas.

But at some point, you realize that the powers that be don't care. Especially when managed by Energy and development and Monsanto types. So you call it a day.
 Maleman999
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/6/2016 9:03:46 AM
Are there any utilities such as electricity and water going to the building? If so, wouldn't the easiest way to get them out is to shut off the utilities? Even if they live off of the land, they would have to go out to hunt for food and go to a source of water.
 carolann0308
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2016 12:01:20 PM
There are buildings on the property that belong to the federal govt a visitor center, housing for the rangers, various garages and out buildings. To cut off the water or heat would cause pipes to the burst, so it is far less expensive for the Feds to just sit it out and wait until these Yahoos just give up and go home. The press is not going to hang around forever. No publicity and no rations coming in, will end it fairly quickly. Cutting off their internet access would probably hurry things along.
I think the Govt has learned a lot over the last decade or so, no one wants anyone to get hurt and any actions against these squatters will be seen as aggression by most people.
 gtomustang
Msg: 36
Thugs occupy U.S. national parks building in Oregon
Posted: 1/6/2016 12:41:26 PM
in related news, Trump saw a bunch of white people in New Jersey celebrating what's going on in Oregon. They were jumping up and down. So, therefore, he has said that when he is president, no more white people will be allowed in. Obviously, all white people must be a threat, we can't take the chance. All the white people you know, are expected to have to apologize for the actions of a few white people, and if you see something....for the love of your children, report it in.

"We just can't let these thugs win", he is reported to have said by Fox News, known for their accuracy. The NRA, apparently, failed to comment on a bunch of white "rioters" , as Fox now calls them, having the right to brandish weapons.

as for hunting for food on Federal land to survive the winter....do they need a permit for that?
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/6/2016 1:53:07 PM
ROFLMAO

The article went on to say about left/libertarians finding it funny that it happened to right-wingers:

I hate to tell you this Dee, but in America the libertarians are all conservative republicans:

Libertarian intellectuals oppose mandatory minimums. Why not the populist right, too?

As are those from the "populist right"

Trump saw a bunch of white people in New Jersey celebrating what's going on in Oregon. They were jumping up and down. So, therefore, he has said that when he is president, no more white people will be allowed in.

The way I heard it was Trump saw thousands of white New Jersey ranchers celebrating what was happening in Oregon, and declared that when he's President "We'll build a wall around New Jersey, have Christie pay for it, and won't let any white ranchers from New Jersey into the country." (He doesn't acknowledge New Jersey as part of the Union.)
 ChaoticSphere
Msg: 38
Posted: 1/7/2016 12:34:23 AM

They don't care about the other side of the story, Chaotic. It will not provide laughs or basis for condescension or derision. You know how that goes. They can't have that.

It’s really sad how everything comes down to politics. These ranchers are not part of the collective so the drones are instructed not to give a fvck about the rancher’s plight. If the ranchers voted democrat than the drones would be instructed to care.

Actually dee, the UI’s provide an immense amount comical enjoyment for me and I can always obtain the democrat talking points off these forums. Some of the articles that the UI’s mindlessly link to the different forum threads provides an appreciation and understanding of how they obtained the UI status.

the smart plan is to surround and wait for the beer and Cheetos to run out.

Looks can be deceiving but you remind me of beer and Cheetos type. Could there have been a warm beer and orange fingers when you were inputting your comments?

When I saw this it reminded me of you lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugo7Y2lRsxc
 deetristate
Msg: 39
Posted: 1/7/2016 12:02:04 PM
One thing that they have shown if nothing else.

How quickly a rather large armed group will respond to a call.
 kandykane111
Msg: 40
Posted: 1/7/2016 12:14:05 PM
Is the siege over yet or are they all still drinking hot chocolate and making Smores? I haven't been keeping up. Seems like more pressing things are going on in the world.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 41
Posted: 1/7/2016 12:30:02 PM
Their dad says the boys have been planning this for weeks. . . . This is their supply room: https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/93027675a0363a054122ddd17f1650117a3f7120/0_87_3008_1805/master/3008.jpg?w=620&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10&s=78523f19179fbdffdc17a48d41928851

Bundy has repeatedly said the group is prepared for the long-haul. However during a tour of the site earlier in the day, the Guardian was shown a food storage room that did not look like it could sustain a dozen men for more than a few weeks.

It included a cardboard box of apples and oranges, a few dozen pots of instant ramen, 24 cans of chicken noodle soup, a similar number of cans of sweetcorn, peas, beans and chili, and 20 boxes of macaroni and cheese.

There were also three sacks of potatoes, one bag of flour, another of rolled oats, boxes of raisins, a single bag of pretzels and one granola bar.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jan/05/oregon-wildlife-militia-standoff-power-cut-off
 kj521
Msg: 42
Posted: 1/7/2016 12:45:54 PM
What? Not even a bottle of wine?

What heck is wrong with these idiots? EVERYBODY knows you can't have a siege without wine!

It's just not done! It says so right there in the Siege Handbook!

Wait....sorry....sorry....that was the Huricane Preparedness Guide I was looking at. Oops!

Oh well....same thing, right? Still need wine. :)
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 43
Posted: 1/7/2016 1:16:41 PM
I was actually expecting a few flats of beer, or a keg or two. But I forgot the the Bundy boys are Mormons, so alcohol is out. But since Mormons are such good preppers, I'm really surprised at the lack of food.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/7/2016 1:26:32 PM
I think a siege with KJ would be a lot more fun than with this bunch.

It is a birder station though. In a few weeks they're likely to have to open up to the birders. They may think they're tough, but they haven't messed with a group of determined birders yet.
 Inner_Gorilla
Msg: 45
Posted: 1/7/2016 2:44:12 PM

What heck is wrong with these idiots? EVERYBODY knows you can't have a siege without wine!

Absolutely right! And we need to be prepared. Have in working order cork openers, a good grille.

They should just give the land back to the native Americans who used to own the land before they signed some treaty at gun point.
 gtomustang
Msg: 46
oh, they brought the Whine, alright
Posted: 1/7/2016 3:39:42 PM
gosh, all this talk about water rights....Nestle tried to raise the price for water in other countries, and the Republicans didn't see a thing wrong with it--keep people from wasting, they said. But hey, we all remember water rights being an issue in Detroit:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/true-north/2014/jun/25/detroits-water-war-a-tap-shut-off-that-could-impact-300000-people

How could the militiamen miss that issue? Not b/c it had to do with people not part of their militia, did they? Funny, I don't remember any militia members running over to help out those people, most of whom weren't, uh, white. Rush Limbaugh was one of the GOP talking heads who had a view on it:

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/06/30/detroit_forced_to_turn_off_water_for_nonpayment

Apparently the militias back then shared his view on those poor people without water, for some reason. I don't think he's showing the same sympathy now about Oregon, is he? Free Market Monopoly is only bad for some people. I know we have a forum member here who bragged about being a militia member. I'm surprised he hasn't jumped up already to defend what's going on, perhaps he's embarrassed by it. Or maybe he can explain why some water issues are worth fighting over, and other peoples' aren't. Or why he's up not up now there playing Valley Forge.

not that I blame him--what paramilitary group travels without warm socks and food? no wonder they are a "last" defense.
 gtomustang
Msg: 47
Posted: 1/9/2016 11:46:42 AM
Gosh, with all the conservatives ar0und here, i'm surprised they let this post die off. Especially the militia member here, i'd think he'd be proud of his brothers. They are quick to pick up other issues, what possible reason to not keep beating this one to death? Oh yeah, maybe this is the reason why:

http://www.dailynewsbin.com/news/oregon-terrorist-group-member-sneaks-off-to-motel-blows-the-groups-funds-on-alcohol/23483/comment-page-1/#comment-34261

Geez tough guy, I guess i'd bawl like a lil' baby too if all my dreams of awesomeness turned to a pile of horsepuckey. Gee, no wonder liberals are so confident they are right, its hard to be wrong when this is the competition:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3387117/Stolen-valor-Militiaman-bodyguard-ranchers-Cliven-Ammon-Bundy-posing-retired-Marine-served-Afghanistan-Iraq-boost-combat-credentials.html

Jeez guys, I guess you aren't paranoid enough to do what's called a "background check" on your own. You clowns are so funny, you should take your act on the road. No, really...its time to hit the road. Don't leave behind all that "manly camou" you ordered from the Sportsman's Guide just for this event like someone lady hitting Vickie's Secret for her special night...wouldn't want ya to get a ticket for littering might have to wait for your government subsidy check to come in so you could pay for it.
 cotter
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2016 12:14:35 PM
Message 49 ...
Especially the militia member here, i'd think he'd be proud of his brothers.
The fact that he has not yet checked in could be an indication that he's over in Oregon playing "militia guy" with his buddies?

Maybe he's the one up in the tower ... keeping watch for the group. Gotta monitor the comings and goings ... don't cha know!
 yougotmeakitten
Msg: 49
Posted: 1/10/2016 6:33:29 PM
Ah yes, birding season is right around the corner and we all know "bird watchers are Cookoo for cocoa puffs"!

It would seem someones Momma has posted on Facebook they need supplies. Warm blankets, food (evidently the beer and Cheeto's ran out) coffee creamer and cigarettes. Now is when it will get interesting. People with guns needing coffee and cigarettes. Hmm. Wonder if they can nail them for smoking in/on Federal Property?

All we need is a USPS / Fed Ex /UPS hero to refuse delivery on account of it not being safe and it would be all over. Seems to me they need to put up a net around the area and keep supplies from going and it wouldn't take long for the idiots to come out. C'mon Sheriff make up a siege plan already.

I do believe I read where the Ammon family is behind in their land lease fees? That is the Nevada ranching family right?

LePew

Seeing as how the Bundys, as well as others holding a government building hostage, are Mormons, I wonder if the republicans will describe them as "Mormon Yeehadist terrorists"? Lol!!

I think the correct name is "Ya'llquida"!
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 50
Posted: 1/10/2016 9:10:34 PM
Them fellers sure kin pickem: Malheur means "bad hour" or "bad time" in French. . . .

Bundy *Family* one of whose sons is named "Ammon" after a figure in the Book of Mormon. Three of the sons are there.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Militiamen occupy U.S. national parks building in Oregon