Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Women's idea of a good date      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 26
Women's idea of a good datePage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

You can find fun and romance damn near anywhere if you have imagination, inclination and the will.

EXACTAMUNDO !
 NJgirl116
Msg: 27
Women's idea of a good date
Posted: 1/4/2016 7:04:00 PM
PLANNING marriage and kids? When we're having a conversation about a hypothetical first date? You're twisting my words. Not cool.
 cookymaker
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2016 7:12:48 PM
I agree with some here. Bamagirl .. Yep
First meet is actually a date. Seriously.. First meet - two people get together for conversation and to learn about each other . First date. Two people get together for conversation and to learn about each other.
Am I missing something or are they the exact same thing??

Anyway... What is a good date? Anything from dinner to a walk on the beach to going to a flea market to sitting in a park and throwing rocks. Ice cream!!! If you are enjoying each other ... it's a good date
 nightryder111
Msg: 29
Posted: 1/4/2016 7:41:35 PM
NJ, didn't mean to "twist" your words. I just thought it odd that you'd equate browsing Lowe's with "married with kids". How about Chapters or Pottery Barn or an antique mall? Would that be romantic or fun or would those places need to wait for marriage with kids as well? I happen to like somewhere like what I mentioned above...easy, can chat, sip a coffee, walk and poke around, laugh, gauge each other, see what each of us likes, etc.

What exactly IS "fun and romantic? I think that answer differs for many depending on gender, age and interests.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2016 12:04:12 AM
call a first meet a date if you will but it is a blind date at best. What follows for the next meet is a date. If two people get together for conversation and to l earn about one another that is fine, but often that does not happen. One can hardly wait to get away or both, another may shown no real interest in the other person etc. is often the scenario.
 chrisshrew
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2016 1:39:35 AM
Calling a first date a meet seems silly imo. You meet each other for a date, you do not go on a "meet". If a face to face meeting with someone who have been in contact with on a dating website isn't a date then what is? Maybe to some calling it a meet puts less pressure on the individual by pretending romance isn't the main consideration and reason for meeting up. The date may not go well but its still a date.

Its all just what words you use I guess. Thinking about it, its strange why we say girlfriend and boyfriend as if the friend aspect is so important when in reality its much more than that.
 south_city
Msg: 32
Posted: 1/5/2016 6:36:37 AM

call a first meet a date if you will but it is a blind date at best. What follows for the next meet is a date. If two people get together for conversation and to l earn about one another that is fine, but often that does not happen. One can hardly wait to get away or both, another may shown no real interest in the other person etc. is often the scenario.

Then it's simply a date that didn't work out for whatever reason. Here are possible reasons why some people will call it a "meet". Not that I personally agree with these things.

1. They think it will reduce the amount of pressure.
2. They think a date has to be a formal activity.
3. They think a certain amount of time or money has to spent on a date.
4. They never physically met the other person before. ( Even though it can still be considered as a blind date. )

As mentioned before, in my experience, it is largely on the forums where people call it meet. Most people I have talked to about OLD ( friends, women that I went out with from OLD ) have considered to the first meeting to be a ( blind ) date.
 Chromis1
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2016 6:55:18 AM
I know it's not a popular thought, but I've always treated the first encounter as a formal date. I expect it to last for hours and, in most instances, they have. Planning, preparation, always trying to make a good first impression. When I think back on it, the less successful "first dates" involved the least amount of thought and planning. Maybe that's because the more successful ones (ones that led to a second date or more) involved great emailing, very good phone talk prior, giving me the incentive to go an extra mile for the time we met.
 Maleman999
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/5/2016 7:19:26 AM

Msg 27:
I think it would be very romantic selecting colors for your bedroom or kitchen cabinets or what type of plants to put around the hot tub. What if you're a hardwood floor girl and he is a carpet guy? Better to find out the red flags right off the bat.

How romantic! Having a stranger you meet in person for the first time advising you how to spend thousands of dollars on house renovations at Lowes, even though they have never been in your house. What type of plants would I put around a hot tub when I don't have a hot tub-unless you count a bathtub filled with hot water as a hot tub? How would meeting at Lowes work if a person is in a rental unit? Would it be romantic to walk down the cleaning products aisle and discuss which toilet bowl cleaner or furniture polish is the best?
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 35
Posted: 1/5/2016 7:28:01 AM
Personally, I love hardware stores and tend to spend a lot of time in them.

This thread was not limited to first date/first meet. It's right there in the OP

Also what constitutes a good date at different stages of a relationship, such as 'first meet', 'first date', 'in a committed relationship date'?
 nightryder111
Msg: 36
Posted: 1/5/2016 8:22:22 AM

How romantic! Having a stranger you meet in person for the first time advising you how to spend thousands of dollars on house renovations at Lowes, even though they have never been in your house. What type of plants would I put around a hot tub when I don't have a hot tub-unless you count a bathtub filled with hot water as a hot tub? How would meeting at Lowes work if a person is in a rental unit? Would it be romantic to walk down the cleaning products aisle and discuss which toilet bowl cleaner or furniture polish is the best?

Gee whiz AH, I didn't realize that this was specifically for a first meet/first date scenario....oh, wait, it's not. Its about "first meet", "first date", "in a committed relationship date". All friggin three, weird huh.

I think you are a little, what do we call it, oh yah, "anal" about things like "How would meeting at Lowes work if a person is in a rental unit?" Well, I would think that even people living in rental units or trailer parks or mansions would have a little imagination while dating and not be so up tight and rigid.

What's your idea of a good "first meet", "first date", "in a committed relationship date" there Maleman? I can hardly wait to hear.
 BlackOnyx48
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/5/2016 8:32:50 AM
^^^^^
nightrider
I thought you were a woman, but now it's clear that you're GAY....
That's cool, not judging...it's just that men don't enjoy skipping around Lowe's gushing about bathroom d├ęcor...and we really hate those fcck n...throw pillows.....

Carry on....
 nightryder111
Msg: 38
Posted: 1/5/2016 9:05:48 AM
^^^ No, I can't see a manly man like you perusing the aisles at Lowes. I see you don't visit the gym either or the walking trails or the vegetable aisles at the Piggly Wiggly. Obese guys don't skip and they don't like throw pillows and bathroom decor...leave that to us fags.

I see you have the trolling thing down.
 BlackOnyx48
Msg: 39
Posted: 1/5/2016 9:23:18 AM
^^^^
I'm sorry you feel that way.....
 Inner_Gorilla
Msg: 40
Posted: 1/5/2016 11:41:49 AM
Go to Ikea. As you go by the furniture you tell each other how your new house will look. As you pass by the kid area, you tell each other the number of kids you're going to have together. Then you have some meat balls, but some of the stuff animals and in the way out get their ice-cream. And don't forget the tape measure and the little tool.

She can always say "he was such a tool....never measured up to my expectations."
 browneyesboo
Msg: 41
Posted: 1/5/2016 11:54:21 AM
This place makes me feel like a lazy cow.
I don't want to go kayaking or shooting or katamarandering when I meet someone for the
first time.
I'd prefer someplace where we can talk.
I'm more the bookstore, home depot, museum sort.
Sort of a lethargic caterpillar.
Maybe I'll think about turning into a butterfly when I meet someone a second time.

Or maybe I am just a lazy cow.
Hahahahaha!
I can also pretend pretension doesn't exist...for a short while anyways.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 42
Posted: 1/5/2016 2:53:14 PM

I don't want to go kayaking or shooting or katamarandering when I meet someone for the
first time.
I'd prefer someplace where we can talk.

Umm, have you ever seen a kayak or a sailboat? No motor. Silent and slow. Perfect for talking.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 43
Posted: 1/5/2016 4:52:26 PM

I don't have a hot tub-unless you count a bathtub filled with hot water as a hot tub?

That's what I thought it meant (shrug)
 bamagrl68
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/5/2016 4:59:48 PM
browneyesboo- Seeking a connection/wanting to talk does NOT make you a lazy cow.
We are alike in this, so maybe there's some bias in me saying that, but there it is.
I am not just a talker, I am also VERY good at listening (even though I'm hard of hearing, what I mean is paying attention to what people say).
People will tell you VOLUMES when you know how to pay attention, so like you, I also seek dates where we can have good conversation. (I have SUCH a need for this, it's in my profile).
 Nj2ut
Msg: 45
Posted: 1/5/2016 7:00:53 PM
To me being able to have a great conversation is the foundation of dating. A bad date for me is going a date with a woman who doesnt say much or worse doesn't ask me questions on her own and just says "what about you" to every question I ask. If we can't sit down have a basi conversation on a first date, I dont see the point of investing in more expensive elaborate dates after that.
 Canandaigua_Momma
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2016 8:09:49 PM
As long as the first meet / date is at a public place with good lighting and convenient parking...and we share laughs...it is a successful meet in my eyes. At the end of the night, if we are eager to see each other again, it is fantastic news. :-)
 browneyesboo
Msg: 47
Posted: 1/6/2016 6:51:16 AM

Umm, have you ever seen a kayak or a sailboat?

Well, yes, yes I have.
And franky, kayaking or sailboating done right? It's the last place
I'd want to have a conversation to get to know someone.

But YMMV.

And thank you for your condescending tone.
Have I ever SEEN a kayak or sailboat?
Jaysus.
 gtomustang
Msg: 48
Posted: 1/6/2016 7:44:58 AM
I think labeling a first date a "meet" keeps one's mind on its purpose. Makes it less romantic, more practical?

If one enjoys a trip to "downLowe's", then it does help weed out (heh) people who aren't thrilled about fixing up a home. IF that's a matter important.

Had a freshwater cat, and took a canoe on a river (not whitewater) for a date. I think there was a program on MTV where the first dates could be energetic. Not that a first date should be a test, but I think for certain personalities, it does cut to the proverbial chase and see if the other person is also as active, and can handle when adversity jumps up, and if they bond over it.

not saying that a date couldn't be relaxing, either. I think it can be a way to show off a personality type, and see if there's a match. or we could all just go off looks :) lol
 Inner_Gorilla
Msg: 49
Posted: 1/6/2016 10:22:07 AM

I think labeling a first date a "meet" keeps one's mind on its purpose. Makes it less romantic, more practical?

I could not do this. To me that first date, whether originated online or real life was, first and foremost a date. I made no bones about it. I was not meeting with her to see if she could be my friend, but to see if we had chemistry to be a couple, lovers, people that express physical attraction. Period. If there was no physical attraction, fine. No problem at all. But there was never any confusion as to why we were there.

With that said, it all boils down to what people may define as failure in a date. To me failure was to mislead the other person. Finding that the other was not compatible was never a failure. That didn't even stopped me from having a good time on that date.
 chrisshrew
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2016 1:11:45 PM
I think for those of us have enough difficulty getting first dates as it is, having them devalued doesn't exactly help.
In any case I always thought 'meet' was a verb anyway. Asking a girl if they would like to go on a meet seems a bit odd really lol.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Women's idea of a good date