Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 reintree
Msg: 470
Why is it so hard to meet someone? ... gotta look in the right place.Page 20 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
I knew two guys in their late mid 30s that were room mates. One was legally blind. Both liked to party. When the one that owned the car was too drunk to drive, the blind guy drove them home. Their logic was that the blind guy didn't have a driver's license to lose if they were pulled over for a DUI and the guy that owned the car was a travelling salesman and couldn't afford to lose his license as it would cost him his job. I used to shake my head, I was young and dumb then too and thought it was sort of funny. The drunk leading the blind, " a little more to the left and you can go a little faster if you want". I don't think its so funny now. BTW, the blind guy got a job at a bank and was charged about 10 years ago with embezzlement or stealing funds.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 471
view profile
History
Why is it so hard to meet someone? ... gotta look in the right place.
Posted: 7/15/2016 4:53:31 PM

Norwegianguy: Your finding humor in my pain makes it all worthwhile :)

Well, in all seriousness, surely you've gone thru the pain of having guys come on to you, not limited to the visually impaired! :)

Visually impaired men make some of the best lovers

So THAT'S where blindfolds come in...!

I'd rather have someone not approach me because he doesn't like the way I look than have him suddenly reject me in the middle of feeling me all over. A girl can only take so much D:

I dunno... I'd rather have a gal reject me after feeling me up than not feel me up at all. Thanks to instructional videos at home I could carry the torch to home plate myself, if need be...

Their logic was that the blind guy didn't have a driver's license to lose if they were pulled over for a DUI and the guy that owned the car was a travelling salesman .... The drunk leading the blind, " a little more to the left and you can go a little faster if you want".

I find that hilarious though. Reminds me of the Richard Pryor/Gene Wilder movie "See No Evil, Hear No Evil".
 rockstartrucker82
Msg: 472
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2016 4:15:51 PM
Anyone else having the pages on this thread REALLY messed up?
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 473
Posted: 7/18/2016 4:55:28 PM
Yap trucker, last 2 weeks or so, pages and posts just go, Bye bye! ? Hmmmm?
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 475
Posted: 7/21/2016 4:11:16 PM
Switching to the Lynx database on Apache server Lycra at 1800 PST.

Anticipate nuked profiles to be re-established at that time.
 BBEisBack
Msg: 476
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2016 4:51:48 PM
With a little trial & error, it looks like, when who ever behind the scene deletes posts..
It sets the same reset as if the whole thread went Poof......
Which makes it default to the main forum page...

The next Post in the Thread brings it back to life...

If a whole page of posts is deleted, that page number defaults to the main forum page....
 dragonbytes
Msg: 477
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2016 5:11:22 PM
I hadn't seen the problem the last few days, but I haven't been posting as much and I did see this problem a couple of days ago.

At that time, if I clicked on the most current post, it would default to the main forum page. HOWEVER, I could click on an earlier post and see the entire thread, except the most current post.

I thought it only occurred when the current post created a new page, but I never paid attention to the details, it could have been the most current post was deleted. After a while, even the most current post would work normally, though I didn't try and track to see if a post got deleted.
 MrTJM
Msg: 478
Why is it so hard to meet someone?
Posted: 7/25/2016 11:46:26 PM
I've been single for, like, over a decade. My sex life isn't quite that pathetic, but it's pretty damn close. But I'm pretty sure the problem I have with meeting people is just that: meeting people.

I emigrated from the UK and have a handful of friends here in NZ, and they're spread all over the country. As a result, my opportunities to say, go out for a night on the town, and meet new people, are super rare. Hence me turning to online dating, but really that's been a pretty fruitless effort too.

So yeah, I feel your pain OP. On the plus side, having no distractions from a girlfriend means I'm smashing my uni exam results! Always a silver lining somewhere :)
 rickylick
Msg: 479
Posted: 8/3/2016 12:00:13 AM
**** get over yourself
 david7544
Msg: 480
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2017 11:56:05 AM
In my experience everyone is looking for someone who's out of their league. What I mean is, most women want a man who's younger and better looking than they are. And most men want a woman who's younger and better looking than they are worthy of. It never occurs to these people to ask themselves why the person they want would want them? Why would a good looking 30 year old guy want a average looking 38 year old woman? Why would an attractive 30 year old woman want an overweight balding 40 year old man? It's ego. It's all about ego. That's why, IMO, people don't meet successfully.
 sun___flower
Msg: 481
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2017 1:04:17 PM
^^^ Says the 65-year-old who has his profile restricted to

Age Between: 40 and 60.

Ouija2025
Msg: 482
Posted: 3/5/2017 1:39:34 PM
So then I guess we would have to paraphrase and say
" why would a 40 year old woman want a 65 year old man?"
I never like when ppl refer to leagues.
 gtomustang
Msg: 483
Posted: 3/5/2017 4:57:24 PM
"In my experience everyone is looking for someone who's out of their league."

>>>I think its more accurate to say, we try harder to get the person more beautiful than the rest. Unless we're totally desperate to not be alone, a person who is on our level of physical attractiveness, is the equivalent of the "Bird in hand". We take for granted, the notion we can likely "get" that person. So we won't make an extra effort to puff ourselves up. But someone far hotter, and we get that line from "As Good As It Gets"--she makes us want to be a better man.

we can approach dating in a logical way, but that doesn't mean other people will. Dating is about sex, b/c sex is about procreation, there's a lot of hormones and emotions involved and that's before we get to social standing (trophy wives, studs, etc). If two people humping in bed required logic, what would happen to Valentine's Day? A lot of the world evolves around how to get two people interested in each other. Logic would kill all that :) it also wouldn't explain all the issues that can couple two people together, like perhaps, "daddy issues". so do we approach dating as if we never will have kids, or that maybe a condom will break and what do we do then? Logic says plan for the worst case scenario, yet how well does that work on a first date to kill the mood?

we get too focused on how happy we are with the hottie, we don't ask ourselves, "well, what would they want?" Just like we look at a good chocolate dessert, and don't worry about the calories, we're too focused on how good that will taste on our tongue, and we start to water our mouths in anticipation. And we might still gulp it down rather than savor each independent bite. if we approach every good thing in life worried about the long term consequences, how does that make life enjoyable?

looking at leagues might be like looking at peoples' money. we don't like to think wealth makes them better or worse than us. but, part of what makes them, them, is the opportunities life affords them or takes away. A wealthy person can tell us money doesn't matter, and believes what they say. The women who tell me looks aren't important, are the ones who are cute enough they can be picky :)

being wealthy doesn't make you automatically donate to charity, but it does make you able to do it. its easier to carry out your wishes when you have the ability to do so. in that way, you can shape who and what you are. Having the potential to be what you wish you were, brings you closer to it. but you still have to make that step.
 Cynderella
Msg: 484
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2017 5:53:41 PM
I don't flipin know!
But if there was pill for it,
I would be first in line.
 Nestaron
Msg: 485
Posted: 3/5/2017 9:01:08 PM
People create their own obstacles like out of their league, appearance, height, weight, money, property... combine those with society's opinion that effects the majority of people's lives you turn something as special as love into something to please others not yourself. People would rather marry, or get involved in people of their own social standing, than out of it. Your judgments and attraction focuses more on what opinions of friends and family think of them than your own personal views of them. Falling in love is hard enough you put other factors in it like what other people's opinions are you make it damn near impossible for someone to meet and fall in love of their own free will.
 gtomustang
Msg: 486
Posted: 3/6/2017 8:17:48 AM
sometimes, people make their own obstacles b/c its easier than doing the hard work necessary. other times, the obstacles are real b/c people are pursuing the wrong things (just like I wouldn't go on the Pro Tour b/c I don't know the first thing about golf, i'm not chasing after only women who dress as if appearance are everything, b/c I lack what they are seeking out). Too many humans turn to society's definitions of "what is success" b/c they don't know what it really is (ie, not always millions and mansions) and they do the same with love b/c they didn't receive enough at home to understand it, either. They decide that if millions of people are chasing the same rat race, it must make sense. Safety in numbers.

Marrying outside of social standing, basically takes guts. As much as we may love (or mistake lust for love) someone who is going to draw grief like dirt to a little boy, we still have to have the courage to face the daily battle of people going, "you married a WHAT?" Unfortunately, contrarians will marry FOR that reason, and less about love. they may not love the person as much as they think they do, but love the situation. of course, its not just contrarians who fall in love with being in love.

we can very well be a product of our surroundings. the person who is striving to make a material "something" out of themselves just b/c their parents went to college and bought a house in a good neighborhood b/c they went out and got a job that challenges them and pays accordingly...may still have a hollow feeling inside themselves called a midlife crisis. but they will also have more "Tools" to find where they really belong, than the classmate they knew who did nothing with their life. relatively speaking, they're in a better position to better themselves.

the first step to falling in love, is to love what you see in the mirror, and not in a narcissitic or otherwise inflated sense. If you love yourself, you respect yourself, and you won't put up with anyone who doesn't. that is an automatic step to keeping away the jerks. meanwhile, you won't hang out with the losers b/c they are just so different from you. that's another unconscious, automatic step away from the unhealthy relationships.

sometimes, the path to finding something is to avoid the opposites of that thing you want. you may end up with the "leftovers", and in a zero sum game, those leftovers are...the thing you wanted.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >