Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Dating political opposites      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 alpharomeo47
Msg: 51
Dating political oppositesPage 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I have done it before. We just avoided speaking about politics!
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Dating political opposites
Posted: 1/30/2016 10:33:52 AM

I will date liberal women, but only for sex, because they are so easy.

Viewpoints like this, the way many have been conditioned thru cable news which gives many a sense of purpose, is one reason why it Is a good idea to be in the same ballpark of political views, if 1 or both have any strong feelings about it to some degree. Not on a one, single issue that may be the topic of the season, but in general.

For a long term partner I will only consider a conservative woman.

Conservative women (which is a very generic statement) "put out" just as much. Many (highly) liberal women take pride in control of their bodies and are not easy targets. Highly conservative gals the same. If you're confusing freshman dorm girls with those who are merely Bernie Sanders fans. :)
 lil_poppy
Msg: 53
Posted: 2/5/2016 10:05:09 PM
^^. That is actually a good post. The truth is, conservative girls put out just as much as the liberal girls. I read years ago the co set atime girls get more abortions and like kink.

Married a long time and I am liberal and he was conservative (a small C conservative) in that he believed in a woman's right to choose and was is support of gay marriage. If alive he wouldn't have given a damn about our famous transgender Jenner either. So it worked for us. He did regret supporting the younger Bush and at times I teased him...okay, I teased him a lot. If I was a conservative girl I'd have flogged him.

It can work if both are intelligent, have a sense of humor and not fanatical.
 BeyondtheMatrix
Msg: 54
Posted: 2/20/2016 1:08:48 PM

You are a bi-curious gay man looking to experiment with women, and you worry that politics will be a problem? -- carolann0308

A woman's logic. You can't beat it. Brilliant.

As the defence counsel said in The Winslow Boy: "What we need now is logic -- cold, clear logic -- and buckets of it.

Carolann, I raise my hat to you.

Best wishes

- Peter
 BeyondtheMatrix
Msg: 55
Posted: 2/20/2016 3:21:32 PM

I cannot stand peole who get 'passionate' about any type of politics. -- Caballerosiempre

In that case, there will be millions upon millions of Americans, and other people around the world, that you 'cannot stand.' The list is getting larger and larger.

Being passionate about the choice of who you vote for to enslave you and rule over your life and tell you what to do, which wars your children are going to fight, and what 'rights' they have, including medical rights, when they return to home soil, if they are lucky to survive, down to the type of light bulb you can and cannot use, should be a passionate decision.

Anything else means you don't care about the people you vote for to 'represent' you in government. In that case, they'll do as they please with your life.

"The will of the people is the only legitimate foundation of any government, and to protect its free expression should be our first object." -- Thomas Jefferson [Principal author of the Declaration of Independence]

Look around you at America today, and reflect upon Jefferson's words.
 revoskeepnus
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2016 9:45:09 PM
No... I'm a political junkie in some respects and want my man to be just as passionate.. Or at least not so uptight he Tunis you cantnatudy evolution I'd your a christian..
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2016 9:55:30 PM
(All) life is politics - just reread many of these comments and you'll see that political considerations, not just about who one would vote fer or agin, subsume much if not most of our daily lives.

As for me, I've commented before, it comes down to practical considerations: if I am united with a woman I don't want OUR resources going to support activities I know are immoral or harmful to others generally. I have no desire to agree on everything completely - but the foundations have to be of a common material to be in harmony.

TK
 Lasthookbringsme
Msg: 58
Posted: 2/23/2016 3:51:14 AM

I cannot stand peole who get 'passionate' about any type of politics.

I like people who are interested in participating in world affairs and politics, for the improvement of humankind.

I support democracy.
 Lasthookbringsme
Msg: 59
Posted: 2/23/2016 6:53:24 AM
...and the last thing you want to do is date somebody who votes against your best interests.
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 60
Posted: 2/23/2016 6:56:49 AM
or sadly..if one person thinks the other is hot or attractive enough, they might "fake" their political leanings in order to be in accord..

someone can tell you they vote one way, but in reality vote another..secret ballots..how would you know?
 FGRN83
Msg: 61
Posted: 2/23/2016 7:48:48 AM
Been dating a leftie for 5 yrs..........................No kidding. Great Lady.
 Dallasroadie
Msg: 62
Posted: 2/23/2016 7:54:47 AM
I did for 25 years. We often agreed nationally but provincially we often disagreed. So at times in provincial elections we ended up cancelling each other's vote. But, a mature and adult relationship will handle things like this. Its just politics, it ain't life or death.
 revoskeepnus
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2016 2:25:01 PM
I married a democrat, and have always voted republican.
his politics didn't matter as much as his pill addiction...
it's kinda fun to fight with someone over politics in a respectful manner.
if they think you're an idiot because of your beliefs, then probably not a good match.
 Blackwood85
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2016 3:57:28 PM

I used to think politics wasn't a big deal.
When I was married, we didn't really discuss politics, unless they
were local ones. I'm pretty sure we cancelled out each other's votes
more than a few times, but it was never an issue.

Now there are things that are important to me, and I'm pretty adamant
and out spoken about them. We don't have to necessarily agree on everything,
but there are a few things I really think have no argument....basic human rights,
etc.

So if we disagree on those...I'm constantly giving you the side eye and my opinion
of you is definitely lowered, which IMO doesn't make us relationship material.

I agreed, I use to not care either until I saw how the general assembly in NC operated and how much changes since the Republican party took over the state and how much worse the state has gotten since then especially with the tea party. So I've started getting more into politics in the last few years and paying attention what's going on. A lot of it is bullshit but it's important bullshit.

I can't see myself dating a woman who's far right and if she is far right she probably isn't into black men, I can't imagine her being fun at all our differences stop being political and start turning into moral differences that they can't be ignored.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 65
Posted: 2/23/2016 5:05:28 PM
blackwood85- "Our differences stop being political and start turning into moral differences that can't be ignored."
You nailed it with this^^^^^^line.
That becomes THE issue when I have tried to date someone with beliefs that are too far from my own.
It just doesn't work.
 Inner_Gorilla
Msg: 66
Posted: 2/24/2016 7:26:47 AM

I agreed, I use to not care either until I saw how the general assembly in NC operated and how much changes since the Republican party took over the state and how much worse the state has gotten since then especially with the tea party. So I've started getting more into politics in the last few years and paying attention what's going on. A lot of it is bullshit but it's important bullshit.

It's all Kock money, the Kocktopus and their anonymous 501(c)(4) dark money. After they could not elect Romney they pour all their money and power into the midterms and individual states. Art Pope what quite instrumental in a remapping the state and orchestrate a republican take over. To the point that they have gone to court because of racial discrimination as to how those new districts were created. So do get involved. Do get political. Do voice your concerns. What you, me need to realize is that we cannot let others do the work. No action, is an action and that is something that they are counting on.
 FGRN83
Msg: 67
Posted: 2/24/2016 7:50:23 AM
"New" districts = Forced assimiliation. Why do you need to force things? I want to be with my volk. There is a reason I live where I do. Why do you wish to force someone into my life? At some point in time the NWO will meet massive resistance.
 revoskeepnus
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2016 9:20:58 PM
rise up people, rise up...

we can do it. just get yer boots on and prepare to do some sit-ins... with lots of pepper spray and stuff.
 Inner_Gorilla
Msg: 69
Posted: 2/25/2016 10:12:20 AM

"New" districts = Forced assimiliation.

Actually completely the opposite, so you should be happy.

I quote Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right" by Jane Mayer. Where she writes:

"By the time Hofeller’s team was done, the new map severely reduced the number of congressional seats that Democrats could win. To achieve that, the operatives had packed minority voters into three districts that already had a high concentration of African-American voters. This left more of the surrounding territory white and Republican, and the Democrats in those areas stranded."

You should move to North Carolina, where white supremacist groups, hate groups, are all quite happy with each other.
 south_city
Msg: 70
Posted: 2/27/2016 7:36:55 PM
Apparently it matters to some people. I saw a profile that stated "Don't contact me if you are voting for Clinton, Sanders, or Trump.". It also stated "White men only" on the headline. Of course she is entitled to her requirements. But I think that type of profile can be a turn off to some people that matches her requirements.
 Blackwood85
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2016 5:55:14 AM
Whenever I see "White men" only I just hear it in a stereotypical southern voice and I say that as a Southerner who has a slight southern accent.

It's all Kock money, the Kocktopus and their anonymous 501(c)(4) dark money. After they could not elect Romney they pour all their money and power into the midterms and individual states. Art Pope what quite instrumental in a remapping the state and orchestrate a republican take over. To the point that they have gone to court because of racial discrimination as to how those new districts were created. So do get involved. Do get political. Do voice your concerns. What you, me need to realize is that we cannot let others do the work. No action, is an action and that is something that they are counting on.

It's shady as shit and they try to justify it by saying "States rights" or using religion when nothing else fails a lot of the shit screws over their own voting base (lower class whites who normally make up the evangelical base as well) but their voters think they're above it all or don't care because dammit gays are getting married! Planned Parenthood are selling baby parts! Mexicans are crossing the border and a threat to the greatest country in the world! Muslims are evil and wanna take out Merica! Guns are going to be banned! Dur dur dur! Meanwhile tax cuts are being given to the wealthy, while deductions are continually being removed.

Reminds me of the Amendment One vote in NC, the Republicans made it seem like it was an amendment to ban gay marriage and presented it as such when in reality gay marriage was already banned. In reality it was about removing benefits that single parents, domestic partnerships and civil unions were receiving, that included domestic violence disputes. They were purposely vague on purpose knowing that they're supporters wouldn't know what the bill did.

An April 2012 Public Policy Polling found that only 40% of North Carolina voters actually knew that Amendment 1 bans both same-sex marriage and civil unions, and among those voters who do know the effects of Amendment 1, they opposed it with 60% against and 38% in favor. Among the 27% of voters who thought Amendment 1 banned same-sex marriage only, they supported it with 72% in favor and 27% against, and with voters who didn't know what Amendment 1 did, they supported it with 64% in favor and 28% against. Among North Carolina voters who were informed about the effects Amendment 1 banning same-sex marriage and civil unions and then asked how they would vote, only 38% continued to support it, 46% against it, and 16% were unsure. When combined those who do and don't know the effects of Amendment 1 it found that 55% would vote for it, 41% would vote against, and 4% were unsure. It also found that 55% of North Carolina voters support legal recognition of same-sex couples with 27% supporting same-sex marriage, 28% supporting civil unions, 41% oppose any legal recognition of same-sex couples, and 4% were unsure. When asked what the effects of Amendment 1 would be, 40% of voters thought that Amendment 1 banned same-sex marriage and civil unions, 27% thought it banned same-sex marriage only, 26% were unsure, and 7% thought it legalized same-sex marriage.
 ginghamgal
Msg: 72
Posted: 2/28/2016 7:16:16 AM
Having different opinions about various topics is okay. Unless they are extreme. Being disrespectful of different opinions is not.
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2016 7:14:54 PM
Spent a weekend 'couch-surfing' with an Airbnb host who is a Marxist Bernie supporter.

I had thoughts of not waking up in the AM.

2nd day she was working the night shift - I was gone shortly after day break.

Seriously, I bring this up in that even had she been "my type" this was a political difference that all the physical attraction in the world would have been unable to overcome.

TK
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2016 9:18:06 PM
Being in a relationship is ALL ABOUT a series of agreements and compromises between two people. Politics is yet another of many avenues where couples have a choice to get along. I do my voting in the privacy of the voting booth, and nowhere else, so politics shouldn't be a problem - and yet, I find many out there absolutely stuck in that, "If you're not with us, then you're against us," mentality. I think it's rather sick believing that the One cannot even be the slightest waiver off their own mode of thinking, and yet - they are out there - some even married with kids.
 Inner_Gorilla
Msg: 75
Posted: 3/2/2016 11:35:39 AM

Being in a relationship is ALL ABOUT a series of agreements and compromises between two people.

That is so sweet. You're not in denial are you?

While I would like to agree with you. And in a way I do. When I have pursued my relationships I have been blattanly honest about my beliefs. For instance.

I am pro choice. (I secretly have the hots for Celine Richards, the president of Planed Parenthood).
I cannot stand climate change deniers. Period.
I cannot stand born again Christians. I have no issue if you believe and go to church, but when you throw the holy crap at me, I am out the window.
I believe in Charter Schools (okay, this is more of Republican thing, right?)
I believe in universal health care, like in Switzerland, Finland and France. So socialize the crap out of it.
I cannot stand Libertarianism. They idea of less government is a hypocritical lie in which they take huge subsidies from the government, yet want less services, less regulations so they can pollute more, and not care about the lives of their own employees. To me this is the big Kock lie.
Creationism vs Evolution is not even worth my time as an argument. I was taught evolution, with conviction by a Jesuit priest.

I have told this things up front to women in my first couple of dates. Some hate it (good). Some even paid for the next round of drinks.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Dating political opposites