Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Dating political opposites      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Dating political oppositesPage 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

Politics is yet another of many avenues where couples have a choice to get along. I do my voting in the privacy of the voting booth, and nowhere else, so politics shouldn't be a problem - and yet, I find many out there absolutely stuck in that, "If you're not with us, then you're against us," mentality.

To an extent I agree. But when passions come into the mix on key issues for many (see IGs post) -- it changes things in a negative way when there's a solid conflict. If a gal believes Creationism should be taught in Biology class (not in a philosophy or religion class About it VS evidence of nature's biological progression over eons) -- that's going to turn me off Big if she has ANY level of conviction about it. It's a reflection in how she thinks/processes things.

Stepping aside from political spectrums, and to 95% of the population: It's kind of like saying to someone "Would you date an active, passionate Jehovahs Witness?" If she's hot, sure, I'd pork her (sense of accomplishment too as that'd be a no-no). But to go steady? Have full respect? No.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 77
Dating political opposites
Posted: 3/2/2016 11:51:54 AM
Yeah, I'm all about agreements and compromises, but some
issues have no compromise.

To think that everyone votes in privacy and that's the end of it
is naive, unrealistic, and frankly unamerican (hahahahaha!)
I'm not going to remain quiet around injustice or ignorance.
How do you compromise with that?

There are people I simply will not get along with.
And I'm okei with that.
 Lasthookbringsme
Msg: 78
Posted: 3/3/2016 7:54:42 AM
I could never --with good conscience -- date somebody who'd vote against my best interests.
 Lasthookbringsme
Msg: 79
Posted: 3/3/2016 8:00:59 AM

Being in a relationship is ALL ABOUT a series of agreements and compromises between two people. Politics is yet another of many avenues where couples have a choice to get along. I do my voting in the privacy of the voting booth, and nowhere else, so politics shouldn't be a problem - and yet, I find many out there absolutely stuck in that,

I don't think issues like reproductive rights, health care, equal things are things to be compromised in the real world, much less in a relationship. Would you really vote for somebody who wanted to restrict your partner's right to bodily autonomy or stop her from getting paid equally, for instance, and consider that a private affair within yourself? Could you tell your partner she's worth it; but vote for people who want to relegate her to second-class citizenship? (Hypothetically speaking.)
 mjinict
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2016 3:08:37 PM
I made the mistake of calling Ted Cruse an 'extremist' to my conservative SO recently, to which he vehemently took issue. Must remember to tread lightly these next few months, he's getting a little rattled with his party, lol.
 gtomustang
Msg: 81
Posted: 3/3/2016 5:30:18 PM
his party is undergoing a seismic shift in identity. you might be treading lightly for the next 4 to 8 years :)

BTW, you weren't incorrect.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 82
Posted: 3/3/2016 5:31:14 PM
I'm pretty sure most conservatives consider Ted Cruz to be an extremist. All of his Republican colleagues in the Senate certainly feel that way. And a good chunk of those are pretty damned extreme themselves.
 Coma_White
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2016 7:47:09 PM
Political views never bothered me much as long as the person has common sense. Western society is basically run as a fascist dictatorship with the illusion of democracy. The big corporations control everything and nothing changes regardless of who gets voted in because of our treaties and economic policies. Canadians voted in Trudeau who said he would decriminalize marijuana and now he says they won't be able to because of how it would affect our relationship with other countries. Heck, you can't even draw certain cartoons in Europe unless you want to live in a safe house and lose your job.
 gtomustang
Msg: 84
Posted: 3/4/2016 8:09:35 AM
I could split hairs and claim that dating isn't the same as a relationship, but instead i'll say I can be with an opposite who has an open mind. I'm a Democrat who can agree with some Republican points. I know there are moderate Republicans who can agree with some Democratic claims. Or they might be socially conservative, but not economically. we might have more dating issues if, for example, they are vegan and I am not...where are we going to eat during a weekend road trip? :)
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2016 9:28:03 AM

Would you really vote for somebody who wanted to restrict your partner's right to bodily autonomy or stop her from getting paid equally, for instance, and consider that a private affair within yourself? Could you tell your partner she's worth it; but vote for people who want to relegate her to second-class citizenship? (Hypothetically speaking.)

I think this steps on a POV on the Dem side (which I lean on) that exacerbates the issue. The general person who likes right-to-life sees it as a Person inside you, and that's where the discrepancy is. IF (again, IF) that is 100% a Person inside the gal, it's about autonomy over the life of that Other person. The argument is whether that is a Person or not at X stage of pregnancy. I think many conservative people would understand that if there's a fertilized egg after a few days that it's Not a Person, and wouldn't shed a tear -- but have a legal POV that they don't want laws allowing people to go down the slippery slope of playing when it's a Person VS when it's not, and to treat it all as if the gal's about to give birth that very same day. That person you're dating has really no control over what happens by having a local vote among a zillion.

IMO, it's about their level of thinking. It's not one's conclusion that makes something good or bad -- it's what's processed that Leads to said conclusion that should cause any compatibility conflict.
 gtomustang
Msg: 86
Posted: 3/4/2016 10:20:49 AM
ironically, since dating can lead to sex, and sex can lead to procreation....a shared belief on abortion can become a life-altering issue. it would help to share political beliefs in this situation.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2016 9:34:56 AM

Being in a relationship is ALL ABOUT a series of agreements and compromises between two people. Politics is yet another of many avenues where couples have a choice to get along.

...and some choose to NOT get along. Pick your poison.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2016 10:17:55 AM

...and some choose to NOT get along. Pick your poison.

But all it takes is *1* person to disrupt it. It Doesn't take 2 to tango. :)
 sactownromantic
Msg: 89
Posted: 3/6/2016 4:09:46 PM
Conservative man here:
I could date a liberal woman but I could NOT date a vegan...those people are annoying and in your face about it:
"You know that steak is causing climate change with all the methane the cows release, you are going to flood the poor islanders."
or...
"Those chickens are being raised in a close quarters and are not allowed to free range, you are cruel if you eat chicken."
 Coma_White
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2016 5:07:58 PM

Conservative man here:
I could date a liberal woman but I could NOT date a vegan...those people are annoying and in your face about it:
"You know that steak is causing climate change with all the methane the cows release, you are going to flood the poor islanders."
or...
"Those chickens are being raised in a close quarters and are not allowed to free range, you are cruel if you eat chicken."

Right, and I'm sure as a conservative, you always keep your opinions to yourself, like you just did.
 sactownromantic
Msg: 91
Posted: 3/6/2016 7:24:07 PM
Yes I'm entitled to my opinion: I eat whatever I want and I don't care what other people eat, just don't tell me what I can eat. Speaking of that: I also don't want the government to tell me what I can eat, making laws banning certain foods(soda, trans-fat, goose pate, etc).

I don't like marijuana but a lot of people smoke it and that's their business, I don't get in their face and tell them to stop.
 Inner_Gorilla
Msg: 92
Posted: 3/6/2016 7:51:20 PM

I like the REAL free range chickens. Not his bullcrap that was passed by the FDA (which is controlled by Monsanto, anyways) where they leave a open door out of where the food is and because the chicken has a choice, they can call it free range. That is total bull.

I am a liberal and a proud carnivore. I don't follow some party line. I follow my sense what feels right for me. If you made decisions on the carbon footprint we should exterminate all humans. But that is not going to happen, thank god. Can we find more humaine ways to race beef? Yes we can. But at the end of the day we need to come to terms with the package society. People like clinical packaging. You are eating an animal that someone killed so you can eat it. Accept that you are a killer.
I don't feel bad about the food I eat, animal or vegetable. I feel bad when we alter nature, kill bees because of pesticide resistant crops, GMOs. I believe they should rewrite all the register laws when it comes to living organisms. You should not be allowed to have a copyright to soy, corn and then when the crops gets cross pollinated go after the people, the farmer.
 oneday57
Msg: 93
Posted: 3/7/2016 4:16:39 AM
IF your heavily motivated politically then its most likely a problem.....but my experience is that its a private thing....depends on the persons involved....lol
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2016 8:43:35 AM

I think most guys who are more liberal in life (mostly vote Dem) -- aren't going to want to date Vegans either. :) Vegetarians, sure -- Vegans? They turn a lot of people off, regardless of what side of a mere 2 party isle they're in. I think one will find more Republicans having more disdain about vegans, and you'll find more Democrats being more dating-tolerant of them to some extent, but that's about it. :)
 Inner_Gorilla
Msg: 95
Posted: 3/7/2016 2:28:59 PM

I think most guys who are more liberal in life (mostly vote Dem) -- aren't going to want to date Vegans either. :) Vegetarians, sure -- Vegans?

I could not date anyone that fanatical about stuff in general. It could be religion, it could be the left, the right, diet. Too hippie, too materialistic. Balance. Balance. Balance.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Dating political opposites