Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > What does "Wants to date but nothing serious" mean?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Canandaigua_Momma
Msg: 26
view profile
History
What does Wants to date but nothing serious mean?Page 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
For me it means maybe we won't necessarily speak everyday, yet we do really like each other lots.
Marriage is not something that is essential to me. If someone really, really, really clicked...maybe.
 ALBYAK
Msg: 27
view profile
History
What does Wants to date but nothing serious mean?
Posted: 1/30/2016 7:01:05 PM
To me it would mean go on to the next profile or search, not interested in a casual friend.
 Walts
Msg: 28
Posted: 1/31/2016 5:00:24 AM
As many have pointed out with all the comments, these kind of generic statements "means" all kinds of things to different people. And as Igor has pointed out, we have only been given a few generic statements to pick from to try and explain our "intent". I will point out, that each individual's "intent" is going to be a little different with the person that we are actually "dating". If, you, as a person, believe that "each" person you will date in your lifetime will just magically have what each of us, as individuals, "expect" from a person we have just met, INSTANTLY, than you are a fool.

It just doesn't "happen". It will be a process. A evolution of sorts. I don't expect anyone that I have started to dating to start wearing blindfolds, handcuffs, or getting on their knees on my command. From experience, it would take, at the very least, one or two meetings before we get to that point. After that, things will just start getting "serious". :O
 Maleman999
Msg: 29
Posted: 1/31/2016 8:51:48 AM
^^^" It just doesn't "happen". It will be a process."

Agree. For someone who is looking for something serious, at what point does serious start? Is it within a second when meeting a stranger for the first time? Same with those who put down "Looking for someone to marry". If someone is after a "real" marriage-the 'happily ever after til death do us part', along with all of the other standard conditions in marriage-is someone expected to know at a first meet, with someone they never met in person, if they found their future groom/bride? To me, those people are more interested in the institute of marriage and the title of Mr./Mrs. Married Couple than who they marry. Having a good husband/wife is secondary. If a scarecrow was able to say "I do", they would marry a scarecrow.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2016 9:00:35 AM
Dating - Nothing Serious has it's real meaning, and it has it's assumed meaning by others. The selection is what you're looking for and the tone you want to set going into it. Dating - Nothing Serious isn't a bad selection at all if one's not specifically Relationship-Hunting (which is odd IMO, but that's another story). The assumed meaning in the dating world of POF where there's an abundant amount of people just wanting to hook up is assumed to mean said person is wanting to taste many different dishes in the dating buffet -- and don't want to settle down, even though they may not necessarily just want to hook up.

The assumed meaning of Casual Dating / No Commitment Does mean just wanting to hook up -- not wanting to be near the zone of anything romantic on any level, just fooling around. I think the real meaning of it doesn't mean that (although it's open to it) -- just that one isn't ready to go steady with anyone.

IRL though, you can meet up with a gal who has Casual Dating/No Commitment or Date/Nothing Serious -- and she does want to be going steady with you. Or you could meet a mature gal who puts Long Term and selected looking for a relationship -- yet she won't want to at all, but enjoys having a taste of all the items in the dating buffet.

That's why, IMO, one shouldn't look at those alone -- but to put it in perspective with her Whole profile. And even then, realize it's not written in stone -- it's just where the highest probability is after the full assessment... which actually Could be anywhere, as what one wants also depends on the person, too.
 showboatsupreme
Msg: 31
Posted: 1/31/2016 6:32:24 PM
In my experience with women posting dating but nothing serious or casual dating as their intent -

1) They were trying to weed out guys that contacted them first, thinking the men just wanted sex. They basically would initiate contact with men seeking relationships. I always found this odd btw.

2) They wanted to keep you at arms length and move things at their pace.

I dunno, but the vibe I got was that they were keeping their options open and enjoyed the competition among their suitors, or the efforts to convince them to commit.

YMMV

Either way, I kept the wallet close by with this these types.
 CecillyAnn
Msg: 32
Posted: 2/7/2016 9:00:24 AM
I think things may mean different things to different people, so if you want to know what it means to a specific person, ask them. It's possible that people may want to enjoy companionship and shared interests with the opposite gender without it being a committed relationship.
 MsWinter
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2016 8:04:32 AM
Simply:
1. I am in love with myself and there is no room for you except for sex.
2.I got hurt in my past relationship therefore while I am still licking my wounds I have this need to have sex with you.
3.I am still in love with my ex an think about him/her all the time.
4.I am still soooo broken that I feel nobody wants me therefore I proceed carefully.

The end.
 TimC1968
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2017 8:52:19 AM
If I see "Wants to date but nothing serious" on a profile I just click next

To me it reads " Cant be bothered to get to know anyone on a long term basis But quiet happy to spend your money if you want to take me for a fancy meal, but don't expect a second date"

Yes ok maybe that's stereotyping, and I'm sure someone will rip me a new one . But its just my opinion
I am looking for a long term relationship, so why am I going to spend time with someone who by their own admission isn't
 aintnodeal
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2017 10:27:24 AM
It's never serious until it IS.

It means you've found a woman who is afraid to put her heart on the line because it might get broken. However, she is the type that always wants a man around. She doesn't like being single, unattached. Not really looking for sex, but it's not out of the question. If she likes you, the "nothing serious" will change instantly and she won't tell you.....until you don't call one week, then you'll get an earfull. Or if you date someone else. Or if you take a trip somewhere without her. Or if you spend Friday or Saturday with you buddies - then she'll be all about how you should have taken HER out instead. Not serious...until it IS.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 36
Posted: 1/1/2017 10:36:07 AM
It means there's more then one peni$ involved...
 2ufo2
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/1/2017 10:56:18 AM
I'd look for more clues within the profile itself.

Does s/he have 'wants to date but nothing serious' then explains in the profile that s/he is recently divorced?
Does s/he mention wanting to concentrate on... kids, parents, getting out of debt, going back to school?
Does s/he say that circumstances don't lead to a long-term, but that's willing to change as we 'see what happens'?

Usually there is at least a clue in the profile if not the reason written out directly

As for sex/no sex... sorry but you have to get to know me face to face before we discuss that.
 Maleman999
Msg: 38
Posted: 1/1/2017 3:08:19 PM
If you were to meet someone while out in public-at a bar, store, walking in a park, etc.-and the person asks for your number to go on a date, do you ask the person if the date will be nothing serious, or would you say you'll only go on a date if it will lead to something serious, and possibly marriage down the road?
 five-marie
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2017 3:15:12 PM
When I was dating I flip flopped between wanting a relationship and nothing serious. Probably just depended upon how sick I was of looking for someone I could spend eternity with. Everytime I changed my intent to nothing serious I was inundated with messages from men looking for sex.
I was wanting to see someone maybe a couple times a week, not have someone hanging around my house 24/7. Sex, maybe, in time, just like a longterm partner.
I learned that (Some/most) men perceived nothing serious to mean casual sex so never used that one again. I would then by pass any man that had this as his intent.
Some mean casual until they get to know you. I had one man scream at me that I was looking for long term so why wouldn't I do long term with him?

How many times did I meet someone who did not remotely resemble what they had written on their profile? Profiles/intent/etc., mean nothing. You need to talk to and meet someone to know their truth.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2017 4:49:51 PM
carolann

How long would a guy bother to date you if there was no sex on the agenda? Regardless of who pays?
If you want just companionship you would have to put looking for friends and how successful would that be?
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2017 4:51:02 PM
Clooneys, whose pic is that on now? surely not yours lol!
 Iredurbio2
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2017 5:55:22 PM
What else but....Interviewing for a nurse maid!
 LucilleDixon
Msg: 43
Posted: 1/1/2017 6:56:55 PM

Simply:
1. I am in love with myself and there is no room for you except for sex.
2.I got hurt in my past relationship therefore while I am still licking my wounds I have this need to have sex with you.
3.I am still in love with my ex an think about him/her all the time.
4.I am still soooo broken that I feel nobody wants me therefore I proceed carefully.

The end.

All of these are asinine generalizations.
 LucilleDixon
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/1/2017 7:12:09 PM
I flip flop. Sometimes I have that on mine and sometimes I have that I want a relationship. However, regardless of what I have on there, I am not interested in finding someone to have sex with through Plenty of Fish. Regardless of what you have listed, if the person looking at the profile just wants to have sex, they aren't going to take those little words into consideration anyway. Just the same as I put something specific on my profile, I still get men that write me telling me that basically they're going to do it anyway and that I should just be happy that they feel that way. So yeah, people are going to do what they want, regardless of what is listed on a profile.

Because let's be honest, 95% don't read the profile anyway. They look a pictures and then send a message.
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2017 10:34:09 PM
carolann wrote:

Sex would be a no, if I was dating multiple people.

Makes perfect sense to me.

As others have mentioned, "Wants to date.blah blah" is interpreted differently by different people. It is also pre-selected by the OLD site, as an option for use on a users profile, but .......................will be interpreted differently by different people.

The only way to know for sure, what someone is thinking, is to ask.
 Nestaron
Msg: 46
Posted: 1/1/2017 11:28:02 PM
To me it means exactly what it says their interested in dating but dont not want to get exclusive and have a serious relationship.
 wattablast
Msg: 47
Posted: 1/6/2017 4:37:53 AM
from my experience it means they are insecure in themselves.
 MohawkMayhemRebel
Msg: 48
Posted: 1/6/2017 5:31:50 AM
They both basically mean the person just wants FWB neither is interested in a relationship, Casual one usually means they enjoy hanging out as actual friends along with the benefits, Where the other means they're not interested in hanging out UNLESS you are making it known before hand that SEX is a going to happen regardless. Those are the type that think you owe it to them.
 hearton64
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2017 6:44:06 AM
Or...it could be an upfront way to agree that neither
person is interested in a committed, mutually exclusive
Sexual/emotional relationship as they are leaving their options open.

As long as both parties agree on the ground rules
no one owes anyone anything.

Our sexuality as women isn't meant to be bartered with
in lieu of money,dinners,dating or exclusivity.

That would make us whores. : /
 Maleman999
Msg: 50
Posted: 1/6/2017 7:07:08 AM
The Intent should have been left off as one of the boxes to fill in, because as we see, wanting to date but nothing serious can mean anything, from never wanting to be in a serious relationship to not wanting to put all of our eggs in one basket right away, but it can develop into something more serious if the right person comes along, or anything in between. There's a lot of grey areas, as with the other options. Maybe there should be an option of "Wants to date but nothing serious right away". Too many people feel that a first date/meet must lead to a life long partner. Otherwise, they feel cheated out of life.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > What does "Wants to date but nothing serious" mean?