Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Finding the Right Person is Hard and Getting Harder, Particularly, if      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Chromis1
Msg: 226
view profile
History
the harder it gets, the righter it isPage 10 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)

Lol. I can hear him now....you did what?!?

"I hit my brother 3 times".
"I took the name of My Lord in vain 2 times".
"I stole Jimmy's lunch money".

I quit going when I started doing things for which I could be arrested.
 LJane_6
Msg: 227
view profile
History
the harder it gets, the righter it is
Posted: 2/4/2016 9:25:02 PM
@BBE: Yes, we believe that Jesus is both God and the Son of God. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are all one being. Jesus the man was God in human form. Confusing I know!

@Walts @Seadog: Yes, most religions believe that their "god" is the only "true" one. In a way this makes sense, because logically if say, for example, Jesus really is God, then Allah couldn't also be God. I believe that there is only one God, but people can experience Him in different ways, such as through creation, relationships with other people, etc. Everyone who knows God hasn't necessarily learned about Him in a church. The bible says "For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)" In other words, everyone has experienced God regardless of what they have been told about Him.

@Chromis @Cookymaker: LOL. Glad I never had to deal with that.
 seadog242
Msg: 228
Posted: 2/4/2016 9:49:54 PM
Lol. You do realize that the bible was written by men? Told by mouth as stories and then written by men. Jesus didn't write it, no god wrote it. Stephen King would have made it more interesting, IMO. Or Tolkien or Rawlings. It's a book written by men and believed by people of faith. Nothing wrong with that, nothing wrong with having faith. So don't make up shit like "everyone has experienced God regardless of what they have been told about him." It's a book written by man. I've done a lot of reading and I will say that many creative writer from George Carlin to Carl Sagan could teach you more about life, love, being a good person, your mind, your heart, your soul and the world than a bunch of uneducated men in the desert 3,000 years ago interpreted by a preacher with his hand out in some church down the street.

I have yet to mention Mother Nature or Mother Earth and good ole common sense. and your "holier than thou" is showing.
 LJane_6
Msg: 229
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2016 10:14:51 PM
@Seadog: In response to your comments, I was stating what I believe, my opinion, as everyone on these forums does. You don't have to agree with it. And I myself didn't "make up shit," it's from the bible, if you believe the bible is made up, again you're entitled to your opinion. Obviously as a Christian I think differently, if I didn't believe in Jesus as God and the bible I wouldn't be one.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 230
Posted: 2/5/2016 5:12:39 AM
If sites like C.M, don't work what about a match making service? A friend wanted to find her daughter a husband - she used a network to ( East Indian) And I have known people who were Jewish same thing.
Nice to see a respectful thread about religion.
I wanted to go to a Catholic school because they had more holidays.
When I worked for an Order of Nuns I was interested in the traditions. About the only year I didn't curse at work :)
 gtomustang
Msg: 231
Posted: 2/5/2016 5:57:10 AM
naw, you just spend those holidays in church. Its easier to check out "Easy Agnes" latest attempt to sneak a high hemline past Sister Mary Elephant when Agnes is sitting at a school desk, than inside a pew who's walls come up to her shoulders.
 Chromis1
Msg: 232
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2016 9:06:04 AM

Yes, most religions believe that their "god" is the only "true" one. In a way this makes sense, because logically if say, for example, Jesus really is God, then Allah couldn't also be God.

Right, and this is what has always been so confusing to me since I developed an ability to think critically.

The Jews believe that the Son of God has not yet come. The Christians do. On paper, one group is right and the other group is wrong. How can so many people be wrong about something as seemingly as important as this? The Catholic stance is pretty clear - accept Jesus Christ as your savior, or forget the pearly gates. The world's entire Jewish population is destined for this fate? I can't get there.

Wait! An epiphany. Maybe. God thinks "You. Whatever faith you choose, believe it in fully. Do that, and you're in, regardless if it's via Jesus, or whoever some think I've yet to send, or ... whatever. Believe and be the best person you can be".
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 233
Posted: 2/5/2016 9:47:59 AM
"The Catholic stance is pretty clear - accept Jesus Christ as your savior, or forget the pearly gates. "

I never was a fan of ultimatums, such a man made concept

I'd rather put my faith in people who have had the type of near death experiences where they say they find out that religions are meaningless
 sillysarainsask
Msg: 234
Posted: 2/5/2016 11:13:49 AM
You know, millions and millions of people sleep quite well at night without thought of the pearly gates or the land of milk and honey or somewhere over the rainbow. I know I do.

I always thought that using the "be good or you won't go to heaven is a control thing. Just another way to use, abuse and manipulate the minds of others. I've been doing "good" all my life because....I want to do good, not because I have to or someone told me to or so I can go to heaven...or anywhere else.
 Maleman999
Msg: 235
Posted: 2/5/2016 12:02:21 PM
A question for those who are weekly church going members-especially for those who are looking for the same in a mate:
What exactly is the purpose of going to church once or twice a week (and possibly for the rest of your life)? If you feel you're already a good person who knows right from wrong, is willing to help out a fellow human being in need, is kind and charitable to people, then why do you need further guidance, and in what areas do you need this extra guidance?

If I go to school to learn something, I see a course end date in sight, and that motivates me to complete the process. Learning is continuous, but at least there's a tangible goal by a specific time frame. I can't imagine going someplace weekly or bi-weekly, where I have to be tutored about how to be good person for my entire lifetime-up until the day I die.

Shouldn't the parents take some responsibility in teaching their kids right wrong, and how to be respectful to other people-and without the threat of being punished for eternity by going to hell if the rules aren't followed? If church goers and believers feel they could go to hell if they break any rules, what's to motivate other people to follow that?
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 236
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2016 2:06:31 PM

I had to say more than my share of Hail Mary's and Our Father's as a kid coming out of confession. Lol. I can hear him now....you did what?!?

Yes, I had my fair share of those what-the-hell type reactions. But looking back, after a while I figured a priest would have sat me down and said "Dude. You just need to get laid. Just sayin'."

No, Catholics do not treat Mary like a god.

Not literally, no. But someone Divine and someone to pray to -- some Catholics pray to Mary and others than to Jesus. Point was that it doesn't mean they're polytheists (separate Gods). Mormons seeing Jesus as the Actual Son of God -- that many Xians see as well, but also that he is God too (cloned self as own son?!). :)
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 237
Posted: 2/5/2016 2:10:41 PM

That's not a lecture, it has just been my personal experience. A good therapist doesn't hurt either. God bless.

Thank you for providing yet another example of “Christian” hypocrisy. I’ve experienced enough of that for dozens of reincarnated lifetimes. You are not god’s henchman.

Allah/Buddha/Mother Earth/Captain Kangaroo bless.

BTW…Sitting in a pew is not studying theology nor does it make you a theologian.
 kj521
Msg: 238
Posted: 2/5/2016 2:23:05 PM
Mr. Maleman. ...

"What exactly is the purpose of going to church once or twice a week (and possibly for the rest of your life)? If you feel you're already a good person who knows right from wrong, is willing to help out a fellow human being in need, is kind and charitable to people, then why do you need further guidance, and in what areas do you need this extra guidance?"

Cause it's about more than learning how to be "good". It's about being part of a community.

Kinda like......why do people post in these here forums that already know how to date? :)
 crook_catcher
Msg: 239
Posted: 2/5/2016 2:38:51 PM

looking back, after a while I figured a priest would have sat me down and said "Dude. You just need to get laid. Just sayin'."

Yikes! I'm glad I didn't hear that since I was just 10 years old. 8- ( My tenure as an alter boy lasted less than 3-4 weeks due to popping some kids in the chin during communion as I was assigned to make sure the wafer didn't get dropped accidently after the priest placed it on their tongue. That's another thing...all those tongues....not a pretty sight. :/
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 240
Posted: 2/5/2016 4:40:58 PM

Yes, we believe that Jesus is both God and the Son of God. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are all one being. Jesus the man was God in human form. Confusing I know!

St. Patrick used a shamrock to explain it to the Celts.
 Coma_White
Msg: 241
view profile
History
Finding the Right Person is Hard and Getting Harder, Particularly, if You are a Person of Faith
Posted: 2/5/2016 5:36:09 PM

I know what some of you are going to say, try eharmony or Christian Mingle. Honesty, I have tried both and other than finding one nice, sweet god fearing man, i had little luck outside of 70 year old men trying to woo me. Well, thanks but no thanks. By that age, their fish sticks have turned from fresh to frozen.

You're setting yourself up to fail when you extremely limit yourself by saying no sex before marriage up front. To a guy, that basically means you're just friends. I can understand why they're not interested. Good luck though.
 gtomustang
Msg: 242
Posted: 2/5/2016 6:00:44 PM
"What exactly is the purpose of going to church once or twice a week (and possibly for the rest of your life)?"

>>>Its a reminder that you ain't as perfect as you think. and a sense of community. Like I guess an AA meeting that serves wine :)

needless to say, the closer you get towards your own expiration date, the more you decide to go to Church. Like asking the rich relative for some cash, you don't just show up on Thanksgiving before you ask, you make for more time spent together to make it seem like you actually do GAS.

Though back in Catholic school they used to talk about "gas station Catholics". fill up on God on Sunday, nearly kill each other hauling A out of the parking lot afterwards, do whatcha gotta do during the week, party your brains out Saturday night and slink back into Church with the needle on the God tank to the right of the E mark.

And yeah, not to lay down Billy Joel's lyrics to "only the good die young", but I think its pretty obvious, if one sounds like a friend, one will be treated like a friend. not that its wrong to sell tickets to the Blue Ball Express, but like I posted at the beginning, if you fish for only one type of fish, its going to take a while to find it.
 Elsadora
Msg: 243
Posted: 2/6/2016 6:12:41 AM
Sunshinegirl

I was talking about myself. I had a horrible thing happen to me at just 10 years old. The details don't need to be published here. It changed my life and my view of men. It took me a lot of years to get over it, to trust men, to be able to stand up for myself, to figure out what normal is like. That's a huge reason why it has taken me so long to find a mate. I wouldn't have through it without God and yes, some therapy. I still struggle. I wasnt being condescending, just sharing my experience.
 Walts
Msg: 244
Posted: 2/6/2016 6:21:40 AM
^^^^
Not being a smartbum here but, the more info you give, the more "other" reasons I see for things being "hard" for you. Starting to look like it has less and less to do with your religious beliefs.
 Elsadora
Msg: 245
Posted: 2/6/2016 6:49:58 AM
Walts.
It is both. I took a risk posting that here to be sure. I am sure there are others here who have had similar experiences. I just want to say there is hope. God has gotten me through. With that said, I have done some soul searching as of late and have decided to go a little more outside the box with my search. Though, my beliefs are still paramount, and my stance on premarital relations wont ever change .I am actually going on a date with s guy tomorrow who though he believes in God isn't into organized religion. However, he is open to attending church from time to time. His daughter attends with friends. Both are good in my eyes. As it shows an openness. That is part of what I am looking for, someone I can share my experiences with without fear.
 Walts
Msg: 246
Posted: 2/6/2016 7:15:50 AM

Both are good in my eyes. As it shows an openness. That is part of what I am looking for, someone I can share my experiences with without fear.

Just a suggestion, never ask someone for something that you, yourself, can't give.

As in, "openness".

In other words, do not be afraid to be a little flexible yourself. A person of true "spiritual" beliefs requires very little "structure" for them to have "faith". But, you will never know this until you "experience" it. And you will never experience if you confine yourself, for whatever reason you want, or have.
 Maleman999
Msg: 247
Posted: 2/6/2016 8:04:55 AM
^^^"Just a suggestion, never ask someone for something that you, yourself, can't give."

Actually, that would apply to a lot people who think using OLD will lead to finding a perfect person with no flaws, and Mr/Miss Total Perfection must over look their flaws and shortcomings.
 Walts
Msg: 248
Posted: 2/6/2016 8:08:32 AM

Actually, that would apply to a lot people who think using OLD will lead to finding a perfect person with no flaws, and Mr/Miss Total Perfection must over look their flaws and shortcomings.

It's not just the people using OLD maleman. It's every where. Lots of hands out, requesting, asking and yet, very little giving. The giving is the beginning, not the asking.
 gtomustang
Msg: 249
Posted: 2/6/2016 8:55:08 AM
Sorry to hear of your childhood troubles. I've known a few ladies who had something bad happen to them at the hands of a man they knew, and found dating to be difficult. Sometimes its the barriers they had up, sometimes it was a vibe they didn't know they were sending out...it could be a lot of things that didn't have to do with religion, but of course that's a guess since I haven't met you in person. just going by what has happened to others I have met in person.
 sillysarainsask
Msg: 250
Posted: 2/6/2016 9:01:50 AM
I would think that if you have a few "must haves", like this poster, why not go to where these sorts of people mingle and hang out. Or to a Meetup group or dating site that caters to this. For example, if Walts has as a "must have" that his lady must fish, find a Meetup group that caters to those who enjoy fishing or go hang out at Cabellas. Same applies to must hike, must have a motorcycle, must jog, etc.

And not to beat a dead horse, but if God is always there when the good stuff happens and makes the good stuff happen, where the hell is God when the bad stuff happens, like car accidents, rapes, shootings, etc. ? Why would God let a child be abused or starved or burned or drown?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Finding the Right Person is Hard and Getting Harder, Particularly, if You are a Person of Faith