Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > When did men stop bathing?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 kj521
Msg: 76
When did men stop bathing?Page 4 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
"Do you all believe that pheromones really are part of attraction?"

Yes. I love cologne on a man which can sometimes mask them but when combined through a person's natural oils and sweat it can create a very seductive scent unique to each person. :)
 dragonbytes
Msg: 77
view profile
History
When did men stop bathing?
Posted: 3/31/2016 8:23:39 AM

Would be interesting to create a perfume based on this flower to spray on your enemies front door...

You were married to an Asian, have you never had fresh durian? Tasted OK, but you will never forget the smell. Hotels ban you from bringing it into your room.
 rockstartrucker82
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2016 5:33:56 PM

A week??????

That actually sounds about right. Part of this problem is that in western culture, we've grown attached to the smell of soap and the fragrances in it. If you don't have that smell, and you actually smell like a human, you're dirty, and you stink, and you don't bathe. Smelling like a human = bad... Smelling like lavender = clean. Really, the average person should only bathe with soap maybe 1-2x / week. The rest of the week, just rinse with cool water as needed. If you don't have a physically demanding job, you shouldn't need deodorant for about 2-4 days. (ofc if you have a job that involves sweating a lot, or dealing with oils / chemicals, or dirt, you're obviously going to need to use soap and deoderant more often. Ideally, you don't want to use an antipersperant, since your body tends to sweat from that area for a reason. You preferably don't want deoderant either, but that's going to depend on how active you are. The more active you are, the more you sweat, and when that sweat dries, it has a strong smell. Working in an air conditioned office all day, you can, and should, go without deoderant for a few days.

Stay clean, take care of odor, but don't overdo it. Soaps and fragrances dry out your skin, and dry out the oils that your skin needs. Ultimately, a healthy person should have a very SLIGHT odor to them. Not strong enough that you can smell you from 20 feet away, go take a shower (that slight odor means you have to be REALLY close to smell it)... But you shouldn't smell like nothing, but you also shouldn't smell like a plant or whatever "fresh" smells like. Your skin should have a mix of hormones and oils that has a smell to it, that's not dirty, that's healthy.

But it all circles back to the campaign that if you don't smell like this soap, you're not clean.

It's just like Pinesol... Whether you dust your furniture with that or water, it comes out exactly as clean, but we're conditioned to where furniture has to smell like pine or lemons or else it's not clean. We're doing the same things with our bodies. Unless your nose is directly pressed against someone, we really shouldn't have any scent at all that another person who understands personal space can smell. Rinse with cool water daily, use soap only as needed (average person about 1-2x a week, a landscaper would be almost daily)
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 79
Posted: 4/9/2016 8:46:40 PM
I do shower often but I tend to fart a lot.

It's not uncommon for me to come home from work and marvel at the staying power of my farts.

I debated using candles to scent the place up before a date comes over but found using Febreze 10 minutes before the front door opens to be a more optimal strategy.

Plus, when a chic sees a 'used' candle, they think bad things.

This month I'm using a Lavender scent.
 VikingHoosier
Msg: 80
Posted: 4/10/2016 3:54:38 AM
Unfortunately, some women seem to flock to stinky men like flies on ****.

Last year the news had a leader in the jeans industry claiming people should never wash their jeans. Sounds terrible! Dirty clothes are probably a big factor in people who smell bad.

Cigarettes stink the most to me.

Late last year I gave a ride home to a gal from here on our first meet. The car smelled stale for a couple days, probably from her clothes. It wasn't anything particular to the female gender.

It's really gross being around a woman who "isn't fresh".
Posted: 4/10/2016 6:54:28 AM
I wish I could remember what the name of the perfume was, but...

Many years ago, oddly it seemed suddenly like everywhere I went in public I often ran across people who stank. Women (cause this is a perfume I'm talking about). Smelled like arse, or like they'd just farted. I mean...it seemed like suddenly I experienced this often. Some kind of "phenomena".

And then I discovered that a certain perfume that was popular then...had a subtle fart or arse type of smell. Which I guess would manifest itself stronger a few hours after application. It was nasty. And the particular olfactory signature coincided well with what I was smelling on people everywhere all of a sudden. Found myself wondering if women were just not realizing what they were smelling like...if they didn't pay attention and just started wearing this perfume because it was the latest popular one.

The whole thing just seemed so strange to me. And funny. Like some mean joke played by the perfume makers.
 ebolakitty
Msg: 82
Posted: 4/10/2016 7:29:04 AM
Men stopped bathing shortly after women started going ass to mouth.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2016 11:17:52 PM

What the hell? Why would anyone show up for a first meeting stinking of BO??
I have met these men morning, noon, or night in public, on weekends and during the week

Interesting. Places I go to, that would be even casual date settings, don't have many people reeking of BO. It's hard to believe that the currents of luck place them all on you! :) Are you sure you don't have a really high-end sense of smell, where on more casual dates in the summer and whatnot, that the guy not using a good brand of deoderant has a slight amount of BO that most people don't notice but you? Does he Not smell like BO until the middle of the date (nervous, sweating underneath) in not-so-air-conditioned places?
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 84
Posted: 4/10/2016 11:25:57 PM
^ It's a hippie thing. Try to get in the groove.
 Canandaigua_Momma
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2016 11:58:23 PM
TO: KJ521

That is the way I like my men, too.
Nice and clean with tiny dab of cologne or eau de toilette.
Yum!
 ohenryx
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2016 12:03:09 PM

TO: KJ521

That is the way I like my men, too.
Nice and clean with tiny dab of cologne or eau de toilette.
Yum!

When going on a date, or just out dancing with a Meetup group, that's the way I play it. Or as I put it the other day in a conversation,

"I'll be there at 8, clean, shiny, and smelling good!"

To project yourself into the dating world successfully, you have to look good, feel good, and smell good.

"Feeling good" is probably the most important of the 3, but in order for me to feel good about myself, I need to be clean, neatly dressed, and clean smelling.

ON EDIT: On re-reading, the above looked wrong, so let me clarify. A friend of mine sent me a text asking if I was coming to a specific Meetup event (live music, dancing) which was going on that evening, and I replied with "I'll be there at 8, clean, shiny, and smelling good."

On the subject of "over bathing" and possible bad effects from too much soap: Use moisturizers if you need them. I would much rather err on the side of "over bathing" than "under bathing".
 NYCKOSI
Msg: 87
Posted: 4/11/2016 4:57:22 PM
:modhammer: When did men stop bathing?

Stop? Some people have not started yet. Ha!!:
 rockstartrucker82
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2016 5:38:15 PM

I would much rather err on the side of "over bathing" than "under bathing".

But it's almost idiot-proof... You pretty much have to purposely do one of the two.

Do you smell bad?

Yes: Take a shower, put deoderant, get rid of that bad smell.
No: Rinse off any dirt (you're still technically bathing, you just don't want to overdo it with the soap), and you're fine.

It's not about dry skin, it's about bacteria that our skin needs, it's about the over-use of oils that our skin absorbs. Soap is NOT good for you. You should only use it when you have to.

You don't need soap to be clean. You don't have to smell like "spring fresh" to not smell bad. We're just obsessed with fragrances.
 Hair2day_gone2morrow
Msg: 89
Posted: 4/13/2016 6:51:27 PM
reminds me of the old man smell thread...
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 90
Posted: 4/13/2016 6:53:09 PM
Rock star you have good points but it's unlikely to overcome decades of social conditioning
 geekgrrrl
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2016 7:36:15 PM
rockstartrucker82 said
It's not about dry skin, it's about bacteria that our skin needs, it's about the over-use of oils that our skin absorbs. Soap is NOT good for you. You should only use it when you have to.

I stopped using soap about 5 years ago. It's bad for you and filled with chemicals like EDTA. I use sea salt. It leaves my skin clean, soft and lightly fragranced. It doesn't cost a lot either if you have a Trader Joes nearby check it out sometime.
 elig0724
Msg: 92
Posted: 4/15/2016 11:30:34 AM
Oh no. That's not good!
That's something I just can't deal with... I can't handle anything dirty or messy. I'd cut it short & say something came up & have to go. Life is too short to be dealing with someone's bad odor lol.
 Vannili
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2016 7:36:50 AM
msg.#1 :

Meh. I am always on the better side, I dated men who have a good job ,so his water supply will not cut off.
Homeless people , are being taken care now that they can shower in some hospice home. So some women will
not insult them On POF forum, these men happen to be down trodden , must you drag them down ? They are entitled to be respected and treated with decency. It is no one's fault or business where you meet these men and dated them .
Have a good day, geminifun.
 Vannili
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2016 7:47:39 AM

Men stopped bathing shortly after women started going ass to mouth,

ebolakitty are you a Cowboy ? That when you are on a duel and draw your gun to your opponent , you hit bull's eye, right on the forehead with just one bullet..
Gee, few words but it hit the spot. hahahahahha.
 Perspektiv
Msg: 95
Posted: 5/27/2016 9:17:00 PM
I think you do realize that you picked a bunch of dirty guys, more than guys in general being dirty, right?

I wouldn't be caught dead on a date, reeking of BO, and would shower post work, even though I don't smell of BO (anti-perspirant is dirt cheep, so there isn't much of an excuse).

I think I could flip it, on someone wearing too much perfume on a first date, which is just as bad if not worse.
I've been on dates, with perfume so strong on, they could make your eyes water and sinuses flare up (even though you have no issues with your sinuses).
 bamagrl68
Msg: 96
Posted: 5/27/2016 9:58:25 PM
geminifun- None of the men I have met have done this.
I can't say I don't believe you, but I DO wonder what is wrong with the men who have done this.
My ex taught me that ***holes exist, but life has taught me that they are the exception rather than the rule.
Put the blame where it belongs, on the men who show up unkempt.
OLD is dicey, that I will admit, but my dates have always showed up bathed.
The issues that led to me deciding on NOT having another date had to do with who they were on the INSIDE, not on what I saw on the outside.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2016 11:52:32 PM
leblageur

What a strange comment. You wont get anyone, princess or otherwise if your hygiene is lacking.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2016 11:54:52 PM
Is there a myth being spread around that the natural male hormones and sweat are a turn on? same with the unsmiling pics??? Whilst chemistry is based on the individual smell of a person, not one that refuses to observe normal hygiene.
 lucidbarrier
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2016 2:15:20 AM

Is there a myth being spread around that the natural male hormones and sweat are a turn on? same with the unsmiling pics??? Whilst chemistry is based on the individual smell of a person, not one that refuses to observe normal hygiene.

I shower a lot. I make to sure to smell clean before leaving the house and women are always complimenting on how good I smell. I mean, I ain't all American Psycho about my hygiene but I try to smell good. I can't quite count how many times women have approached me and flirted with me after a workout when I am all sweaty or after I've been working on the car and covered in grime. I switched to a deodorant instead of an anti-perspirant once and the girl I was seeing at the time was really turned on by a more natural smell. It's not a myth. There's also been studies that women are attracted to the sweaty smell during certain times in their cycles, whilst at other times it's not attractive to them.

Some people are just gross. Men and women. I was on a date recently and the woman was complaining about guys that don't shower as well, but they are just a small sample. It seems to me that dating is like picking through the clearance aisle sometimes.
 Canandaigua_Momma
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2017 11:39:19 PM
Maintaining simple hygiene is not a challenging task!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > When did men stop bathing?