Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Absolutely there is a God.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 funchesf
Msg: 51
Absolutely there is a God.Page 3 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)

Posted By: yule_liquor
On the outside chance that you might actually have an interest in better understanding the Holographic paradigm,

if you choose to believe that you exist as a Hologram then that's your choice but you have to also understand that there are people in the world that believe that they exist as Eagles,, which is why if you can not provide any proof of such falls into the realm of Paranoid Delusion

but anyway I've presented a challenge in the "Atheist Thread" that if they were to present me with a scientific concept that I could tell them which episode of Star Trek they got the concept from

in fact the link you provided even mention "The Holodeck" in Star Trek and therefore could only be referring to the Star Trek episode called "Ship In a Bottle" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taluQi0BQg8

If and when you ever come to understand that "absolute truth" is something that is unattainable to any of us in this realm,

any attempt to prove that you yourself don't exist would only provide indisputable proof that you yourself do exist ...that's why your existence to yourself is an "absolute truth"

but anyway try to convince yourself that you don't exist ...perhaps then you will begin to understand why to doubt or question your own existence falls into the realm of paranoid delusion

also once you prove to yourself that you don't exist...let me know
 kidreason29
Msg: 52
Absolutely there is a God.
Posted: 2/3/2016 2:28:04 PM
If god came down and presented thee self to all to behold, it still wouldn't satisfy.
Human beings are just unsatisfiable- nothing is ever good enough.

Some people just want a complicated model of reality to appeal to their intellect.

The answer could be simple, but some people would want something complicated even though it comes back to the same simple answer.

There are no absolute statements. Is itself an absolute statement.
 flman2015
Msg: 53
Posted: 2/4/2016 3:11:28 PM

All this tells us that THERE IS an, omnipresent, omnipotent, omniscient supreme being.

That's one of my favorites :-) Omnipotent god ? let's see how omnipotent that thing is. ask god to create something he cannot lift, if he cannot create it, he is not omnipotent, if he can create it, since he cannot lift it, he is not omnipotent. There went omnipotence out the window :-)

Another very amusing one,

Some people just want a complicated model of reality to appeal to their intellect.

That might be true in some cases. In many more cases, people want a simple model of reality to appeal to their LACK of intellect. It allows them to be "omni-intellectuals" :-) Whatever the question is, the answer is simple: god did it!. Very intellectual indeed. :-)

There is a reason god made believers, to amuse intellectuals. ;-) Absolutely, there is a god :-)
 Aprilikesrosasblancas
Msg: 54
Posted: 2/4/2016 5:24:32 PM
^
Do you need a hug?

ask god to create something he cannot lift, if he cannot create it, he is not omnipotent.

We shall not put God to the test.!!
We cannot manipulate God to demonstrate / prove His power, not when we do it with doubt, Attempt to force /or/ coerce God to do something is unacceptable.!

Absolutely, there is a God :-)

Well, I DO AGREE WITH YOU HERE..And I like you more now, sending a big hug.....
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 55
Posted: 2/4/2016 6:58:54 PM

ask god to create something he cannot lift,

the creation of space/time

if he can create it, since he cannot lift it, he is not omnipotent.

Not true; space/time is not liftable, simply because you asked him to specifically make something whose properties do not permit it to have any lift potential (by anyone or anything), because if it did then it would have to be something other than space/time.

There went omnipotence out the window

hardly!
 politicallyright
Msg: 56
Posted: 2/4/2016 7:13:44 PM
"Whatever the question is, the answer is simple: god did it!. "

Do you have a better answer?
 funchesf
Msg: 57
Posted: 2/4/2016 8:53:43 PM

Personally, I suspect god is from another universe.

that's why he can't be President of The United States ..

If god came down and presented thee self to all to behold, it still wouldn't satisfy.

gotta at least ask for some I.D. ..Birth Certificate, Driver's license, Firearm owner's identification Card

We cannot manipulate God to demonstrate / prove His power, not when we do it with doubt

Satan didn't have any problems manipulating God...if you don't believe that...ask "JOB"

Attempt to force /or/ coerce God to do something is unacceptable.!

that''s why praying to God is a Sin

Not true; space/time is not liftable,

neither is air unless you place it within a vacuum ...like a balloon etc. ..therefore couldn't God place space/time into a vacuum so heavy that he couldn't lift it ...

"Whatever the question is, the answer is simple: god did it!. "

who created evil?
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 58
Posted: 2/5/2016 6:28:55 AM
^ technically, air is liftable if you can cool it down into a solid, or if you can overcome the gravity in which it is contained.
Comparing air to space/time; and the notion of placing it into a balloon like container (in order to be able to lift it???) is laughable!
 Aprilikesrosasblancas
Msg: 59
Posted: 2/5/2016 7:28:16 AM

Attempt to force /or/ coerce God to do something is unacceptable.!

that''s why praying to God is a Sin.

Wrong as ALWAYS.!!

Prayers are not for God to show or prove his power to us, they are for desires or requests, for adoration and glorification to him. (this is the correct way of speaking with Him.)
Life on this earth is an arduous struggle, in which we must ask God in the first place for the eternal goods and then the earthly goods of which we need.
 funchesf
Msg: 60
Posted: 2/5/2016 9:22:49 AM

^ technically, air is liftable if you can cool it down into a solid, or if you can overcome the gravity in which it is contained. Comparing air to space/time; and the notion of placing it into a balloon like container (in order to be able to lift it???) is laughable!

in other words God is incapable of placing Space'/Time into a vacuum/ balloon, ..

what is laughable is how easily you can be hornswoggled into preaching against the omnipotence of your God

Posted By: Aprilikesrosasblancas
Prayers are not for God to show or prove his power to us, they are for desires or requests

there are no desires or requests you can have that wouldn't pertain to Lust and Hubris and both are abominations ...

Life on this earth is an arduous struggle, in which we must ask God in the first place for the eternal goods and then the earthly goods of which we need.

to believe that God would give you "goods" because you request them is Hubris/ Pride which is an abomination

that is why praying is a Sin
 politicallyright
Msg: 61
Posted: 2/5/2016 9:24:01 AM
^^^^ although I don't buy into the prayer stuff . . . primarily because I don't believe if there is a God that he would listen to prayers nor do I believe he needs our adulation and love . . . . the non-believers and the contemptuous way they give their opinions. . . they really are an arrogant, undesirable lot are they not?
 Aprilikesrosasblancas
Msg: 62
Posted: 2/5/2016 12:32:06 PM

there are no desires or requests you can have that wouldn't pertain to Lust and Hubris and both are abominations .

Here is the meaning of "desire" in English, your language.!

De·sire
noun
A strong feeling of wanting to have something or wishing for something to happen.
"a desire to work in the dirt with your bare hands"
synonyms: wish, want, aspiration, fancy, inclination, impulse; More
verb
Strongly wish for or want (something).
"he never achieved the status he so desired"
synonyms: want, wish for, long for, yearn for, crave, hanker after, be desperate for, be bent on, covet, aspire to; More
Posted: 2/5/2016 11:16:50 PM

I am a little surprised at you Drink. I have read your posts in the past and usually you are far more intellectual in what you have to say, far more reasonable and rational. My "reasoning" is not "unexamined" or "pseudo-scientific" to justify anything. I know as much or more about the science as anybody here other than actual theoretical physicists. I am not claiming I can do the math . . that is far above my ability . . but I know the various theories out there . . am well familiar with the quantum world etc.

I have drawn my conclusions based on what I know . . but more importantly, there is so much we do not know.

For example. I have heard of "Darwin" and the Theory of Evolution. I am familiar with older fossils that are taking man's ancestors far farther back in time than just Lucy.

But you know what . . . . I still don't believe all of the species of life are based solely on evolution. I just believe there has to be more to it than that. My right to believe what I want. Doesn't make my "reasoning" inferior to your own.

As for religion, you can define it as you want. I define it to mean people who believe in a particular system of faith and worship. I completely reject organized religion, the bible, or any theory that mankind could possibly know "god" what or who he is or what he wants of mankind if anything at all. It is very possible this creative force never had any direct cause with creating man other than laying the seeds.

...wow.

The answer could be simple, but some people would want something complicated even though it comes back to the same simple answer.

You have it all wrong. But don't just take my word for it -

"The ground aim of all science is to cover the greatest number of empirical facts by logical deductions from the smallest possible number of hypotheses."

- Albert Einstein
 funchesf
Msg: 64
Posted: 2/6/2016 5:28:23 AM

Posted By: politicallyright
^^^^ although I don't buy into the prayer stuff . . . primarily because I don't believe if there is a God that he would listen to prayers nor do I believe he needs our adulation and love

that stance suggest that your God is one of Anarchy and through creating handed down one commandment...that his creations annihilate themselves into oblivion

this is what happens when you claim that you believe in God but yet follow no religion which is to suggest that God created The Universe without purpose and no guidance which therein becomes a religion of Anarchy and/or Heresy

another example of why it's impossible to believe in God without being religious

Posted By: politicallyright
the non-believers and the contemptuous way they give their opinions. . . they really are an arrogant, undesirable lot are they not?

they are simply returning in kind as to what you have delivered unto them ... I mean let's face it... The Title you have given this thread and your Original Post are dredged in Arrogance

Here is the meaning of "desire" in English, your language.!

didn't you sort of promise that you wouldn't engage in definition debates, now I'm going to have to tell Jesus on you ...Why? ....because you got the definition of "Desire" from Satan's Dictionary

as a believer you are require to get your biblical interpretations only from the bible and according to the bible "Desire" pertains to "Lust"

imagine praying to God to fulfill your "desires" ....that's probably how the Virgin Mary got pregnant ..

you are to thank God for everything but ask for nothing

To Pray is To Sin ......funches 3:16
 kidreason29
Msg: 65
Posted: 2/6/2016 11:34:30 AM

You have it all wrong. But don't just take my word for it -

"The ground aim of all science is to cover the greatest number of empirical facts by logical deductions from the smallest possible number of hypotheses."

- Albert Einstein

Too bad Einstein was wrong. Stop looking up to Einstein as should I say, godly? Also Einstein wasn't as smart as people made him out to be

Can you worship something without knowing it? Yes
 mark/1948
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2016 12:27:49 PM
i cannot say one way or another (nobody can) if there is a g-d. but the point at which people believe is insane. just from the standpoint of living, it makes sense to follow the golden rule. it is a morale compass to just surviving. who wants to be looking over their collective shoulders just to say my g-d is the correct g-d. point of fact, christian, jewish, and muslim people all worship the same sand g-d, w/a tweek here and there. no one, and i repeat no one has ever and i mean ever had any proof there is/was a g-d. if there is/was a g-d that created us and everything around us, that entity has long ago departed. if you have PROOF, post publish and save the world. i choose to live my life w/a moral center, trying to distinguish right from wrong, and don't need/want/desire some holier than thou person, tell me they know the way. if they did, why is the earth in such chaos? as i said, no one knows,
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 67
Posted: 2/6/2016 5:12:07 PM

in other words God is incapable of placing Space'/Time into a vacuum/ balloon,

Oh I suppose God could do that; but then he'd have to instantly destroy this Universe as we know it, so he can re-fashion a whole different one with a space fabric that would be "fittable" into a vacuum. who knows, maybe there is such a dimension!

But doing this of course would be self defeating because we'd disappear in an instant and we'd never actually live to see it happen here (which to me, would serve as proof that God does indeed love stupid pple, even the ones that tempt him)....but in that instant transition, we may actually get to see something more astounding, like some folks getting their asses skewered with a pitchfork, and getting perpetually "lifted" over some pretty hot nuclear furnaces for an eternity, and never be burned to a crisp (because if it did, then it wouldn't be a world without end)!

what is laughable is how easily you can be hornswoggled ...

Yep , coming from the man who says that praying is a sin!

to believe that God would give you "goods" because you request them is Hubris/ Pride which is an abomination
that is why praying is a Sin

The Devil is a liar
Remember Kiddies, you heard it here 1st!
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

- Albert Einstein

and then he said: "God doesn't play dice with the Universe"
````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

if there is/was a g-d that created us and everything around us, that entity has long ago departed.

you mind telling us where g-d would have scampered off to?

i choose to live my life w/a moral center,

you do realize that many moral tenets are culturally based, and what would be deemed moral for 1 culture would not necessarily be viewed as moral by another.
 flman2015
Msg: 68
Posted: 2/6/2016 5:56:52 PM

Too bad Einstein was wrong. Stop looking up to Einstein as should I say, godly? Also Einstein wasn't as smart as people made him out to be.

You're right, he wasn't that smart, you are! (LMAO). Einstein had no doubts about there being something infinite and some people are extremely talented at proving him right. :-)

believers are such good source of entertainment (that is when they are not burning or stoning someone, good thing first commandment from "god" is "thou shall not kill") ;-)
 funchesf
Msg: 69
Posted: 2/7/2016 5:49:52 AM

Oh I suppose God could do that; but then he'd have to instantly destroy this Universe as we know it,

so you're stating that God is incapable of placing the Universe into a vacuum without destroying it as we know it? you do realize that you're providing the evidence that your God is not omnipotent...are you sure you're a believer and not a sleeper cell atheist?

Yep , coming from the man who says that praying is a sin!

that's because you nor anyone has yet to explain why the belief that God will give you things simply because you pray for them is not Hubris which is a Sin ... that's why they invented Christmas so that you can get presents from people so that you wouldn't be sinning by asking God for them ...hey God I know that there are people starving in the World but can you give me an X-Box ..sure no problem..I'll send one down to you attached to a lightning bolt

The Devil is a liar

where in the bible has the Devil lied ..he's probably the only one in the bible that told the truth about everything

you mind telling us where g-d would have scampered off to?

he probably completed his Doctrine and graduated from Universe 101 and have ascended to someplace where he isn't considered to be a God to learn and experience things anew in order to get his Degree in Omniscience
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 70
Posted: 2/7/2016 7:10:04 AM

so you're stating that God is incapable of placing the Universe into a vacuum without destroying it as we know it? you do realize that you're providing the evidence that your God is not omnipotent.

Putting space/time in a vacuum is like me asking you to put your shoe inside your foot (instead of the otherway around); so in order to do that you'd have to destroy your foot as you now know it to be, so you can stuff a shoe into it.

are you sure you're a believer and not a sleeper cell atheist?

that is for you to decide

that's because you nor anyone has yet to explain why the belief that God will give you things simply because you pray for them is not Hubris

see John 14 verses 13--14

that's why they invented Christmas so that you can get presents from people so that you wouldn't be sinning by asking God for them

what joker did you hear this ^ from?
Was he wearing flipper shoes and a red rubber nose?

hey God I know that there are people starving in the World but can you give me an X-Box

If it glories the father (according to the Christian Bible) then you get an X-Box, regardless of how many pple are starving.

where in the bible has the Devil lied

In genesis 3 I believe!
 Aprilikesrosasblancas
Msg: 71
Posted: 2/7/2016 7:12:14 PM

because you nor anyone has yet to explain why the belief that God will give you things simply because you pray for them is not Hubris which is a Sin ... that's why they invented Christmas.........hey God I know that there are people starving in the World but can you give me an X-Box ..sure no problem..I'll send one down to you attached to a lightning bolt

Really funchesf.????
It seems that your brain is losing the ability to discern....soooo......You know what? is not Easter yet but if you keep talking nonsense, I'm going (from here) to throw a blessed egg on your head.... (again).

Okay back to the Prayer:......
The power of prayer is for us to ask, to thank, glorify and praise our Father.
We pray to ask God's help and blessing in every situation or need.

1- Mathew 7:7
Ask and it will be given to you; Seek and you will find; Knock and the door will be Opened to you.

2-John 16:23
Jesus: Truly, truly, I say to you, if you ask the Father for ANYTHING IN MY NAME, He will give it to you.

God does not give us 'things' only because we pray to him as if we were zombies.
There are rules how to pray and make requests to our Father.
We must pray with faith and in Jesus name,
We must do our part /or/ homework by getting out of that “chair” in order to obtain the blessing......GOD DOES NOT BLESS LAZY PEOPLE.

God will give us the energy, strength, skills and tools to achieve or get that "need".

While we get what we ask for, we must help the church with a little of something, and we must continue to do so whenever we can , because we have to be thankful by returning a little of what we have received.

Now, if my need is for the health and welfare of my kids and boyfriend, then I have to PRAY for them, and FOCUS on helping those in need or by doing charity work so the blessing will return to my family and people I care for.
 kidreason29
Msg: 72
Posted: 2/8/2016 2:38:59 AM

You're right, he wasn't that smart, you are! (LMAO). Einstein had no doubts about there being something infinite and some people are extremely talented at proving him right. :-)

believers are such good source of entertainment (that is when they are not burning or stoning someone, good thing first commandment from "god" is "thou shall not kill") ;-)

I never said I was right. Actually I acknowledge that I am wrong, and will always be.

I acknowledge that I can't understand reality, and that it is more complex than what is received through my senses.

People don't realize it, they hold on to faith with the scientists about what they say. People listen to them as if they were the bearers of truth, yet they never go out and find the answer for themselves.

What if everything we think we know about reality is wrong? Humans are the most biased and arrogant creatures I come to know.
 xlr8ingme
Msg: 73
Posted: 2/8/2016 2:40:59 AM
To me the question that first needs to be answered is: Do you want to go to heaven? Will You? If you don't care the rest of my post doesn't apply. There's no sense in a lengthy debate; I respect personal choices. If you DO care, Christianity (to me) does have a basic guideline.

Step #1- Admit you are a sinner, and you cannot save your own soul.
Romans 3:23- For all have sinned and come short of the glory of GOD.

Step #2- Know eternal life is a free gift. Why? John 3:16- For GOD so loved the world he gave his only begotten Son, that who so ever believeth on him shall not perish, but have ever lasting life.
Romans 10:9- For the wages of sin is death, but the GIFT of GOD is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Step #3- Confess.
Romans 10:9- If thou shall confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in your HEART that GOD raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Step #4- Repent.
2Peter 3:9- The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

NOW after all this Christian prayer applies. Mark 11:24- Therefore I say unto you what things so ever you desire, when you pray, BELIEVE that you will receive them, and you will have them.

This is when FAITH comes in, and the true test of what any Christian truly believes. We are never perfect, simply forgiven for our imperfections. Peace out-
 sillysarainsask
Msg: 74
Posted: 2/8/2016 10:25:25 AM

Now, if my need is for the health and welfare of my kids and boyfriend, then I have to PRAY for them, and FOCUS on helping those in need or by doing charity work so the blessing will return to my family and people I care for.

And if your loved one or someone you pray for doesn't make it, is it because you didn't pray enough? And please know, I hope nothing happens to anyone you love or care for.

No one answers my question - if God makes the good things happen and you all praise him/her...why do you not get angry when bad things happen and blame god?
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 75
Posted: 2/8/2016 10:48:32 AM

so you are saying that you gain "grace" by "works" ? that goes contrary to most preaching I have ever heard..
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Absolutely there is a God.