Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Absolutely there is a God.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 funchesf
Msg: 76
Absolutely there is a God.Page 4 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)

Posted By: yule_liquor
Putting space/time in a vacuum is like me asking you to put your shoe inside your foot (instead of the otherway around); so in order to do that you'd have to destroy your foot as you now know it to be, so you can stuff a shoe into it.

human surgeons that lack omnipotence place super size implants in people everyday without destroying body parts, so if your God can not devise a way to place Space/Time into a Vacuum without destroying The Universe he is not "all knowing" and therefore lack both omnipotence and omniscience

see John 14 verses 13--14

that verse is not about "praying not being a sin", it is about Jesus trying to fool believers that he is the way to the Father because he couldn't produce the Father when they asked him to, always remember before posting a passage to read the passages before them in order to get the true meaning

what joker did you hear this ^ from?
Was he wearing flipper shoes and a red rubber nose?

yep, he's the same guy that convinced believers that Jesus was born on December 25th Christmas Day so that they could get presents like Jesus did from the Three Wise men instead of committing sin by praying to God for presents or gain ...,

If it glories the father (according to the Christian Bible) then you get an X-Box, regardless of how many pple are starving.

an example of do unto others as they do unto you

In genesis 3 I believe!

where in Genesis does it state anything about an Angel morphing into a talking serpent,.... as I said..there is not one instance in the bible where Satan did not tell the truth

Posted By: Aprilikesrosasblancas
Really funchesf.????
It seems that your brain is losing the ability to discern....soooo......You know what? is not Easter yet but if you keep talking nonsense, I'm going (from here) to throw a blessed egg on your head.... (again).

hummm resorting to violence? ..you must be one of those "Inquisition Christians"

We pray to ask God's help and blessing in every situation or need.

if God knew everything you needed before the day you were Created, then why would you need to pray for it ...wouldn't it be a lack of faith to remind God ..it would be the same as sending God a Facebook notification

1- Mathew 7:7
Ask and it will be given to you; Seek and you will find; Knock and the door will be Opened to you.

ask a Jehovah Witness if they were to knock on any door if it will open to them, that's why that passage is a parable

2-John 16:23
Jesus: Truly, truly, I say to you, if you ask the Father for ANYTHING IN MY NAME, He will give it to you.

when they asked Jesus to produce the Father he couldn't so instead he told them that parable

Now, if my need is for the health and welfare of my kids and boyfriend, then I have to PRAY for them,

are you praying to God to tell him that he should wait before bringing them home to him , that is why believers should not be praying to God to keep people from dying and why they shouldn't go to doctors

there is not one circumstance in which praying to God wouldn't amount to Hubris
 flman2015
Msg: 77
Absolutely there is a God.
Posted: 2/9/2016 6:14:48 PM
We shouldn't try to convince a woman there is no god. I like women that believe, get on their knees and pray and pray slowly, good pronounciation is important. If they pray often and well, I might even reward them with some jewelry. ;-)

Plus, believers tend to be good swallowers. :-)
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 78
Posted: 2/9/2016 10:46:40 PM

human surgeons that lack omnipotence place super size implants in people everyday without destroying body parts

Which is why I specifically used a foot as an example because nobody can stuff implants into it bigger than it is (unlike a butt or a tit) without destroying it and its intended function. I can't break it down in any simpler form for you.

Nonetheless, I used the foot analogy as a physical example of something "non physical". Space/time and the vacuum are both non physical. Hence, you cannot alter one without fully destroying it (or turning it into something that it now isn't). This means that neither you or I could ever live to see all this being carried out in this universe because as physical beings, we cannot experience a posteriori , that which results in our immediate demise.

Henceforth, in order for to you to witness this, God would have teleport you to a whole other dimension; so that you can see him stuff space/time into a vacuum (and subsequently witness the destruction of this Universe), and even if you don't die in the aftermath, there won't be a Universe left to teleport your ass back into.

But even if God would re-create the Universe as it was and then sends you back to it; WHO the fvck would believe what you witnessed? Even you wouldn't believe it!...You'd be staggering down the street like a damned bum that is hung over, muttering to yourself how none of this could have possibly happened! So then what would be the fvckin point to all this, because no matter WTF god might do, a non believer won't ever be inclined to believe it.

Thus it is way easier for the creator to let you keep believing whatever makes you feel comfy. After careful thought, I'd handle it the same way (if I was the creator)in that I gave you a turn at bat so its no skin off my ass if you strike the hell out!
 funchesf
Msg: 79
Posted: 2/10/2016 7:33:10 AM

Which is why I specifically used a foot as an example because nobody can stuff implants into it bigger than it is (unlike a butt or a tit) without destroying it and its intended function. I can't break it down in any simpler form for you.

aren't "toe sandals" shoes? ....pretty sure a thin one made of biodegradable material in the shape of a foot with toes can be implanted into the sole and not hamper the workings and work as a shock absorber

if I can figure out a solution to any problem that you present then why don't you believe that your God can?...where have thou Faith gone my Brethren?

soon you're going to have me thinking that I'm omniscient, or perhaps it's just time that you admit that your God is not omnipotent

or perhaps I can tell of a way in which Space/Time can exist in a vacuum without the Universe being destroyed that you nor your God nor the bible can dispute ....

So then what would be the fvckin point to all this, because no matter WTF god might do

temper temper...since you are a believer...I hope "WTF" in this case means "What The Flock"
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 80
Posted: 2/10/2016 1:12:17 PM
^

aren't "toe sandals" shoes?

no, that is why it is called a sandal and not a shoe

pretty sure a thin one made of biodegradable material in the shape of a foot with toes can be implanted into the sole and not hamper the workings

So now you are changing the definition of what a shoe should be; so you can accommodate this home made contraption into the sole of the foot. Even if you were able to do this, it wouldn't be 2-3 days when the sole of your foot will start to ache, get red and swell in response to the presence of this foreign body you put in it.

Here is what I'm talking about.

make a longitudinal cut from the base of your toes down to the tip of you heel
rip out all the soft tissues, down to the bone
then tear out all the long bones going from the ankle to the toes including the heel
then afterwards, place a "shoe" into that crevice, and then stitch it up where you made the cut.

See if it still looks and works like a foot, if so then try walking on it!

if I can figure out a solution to any problem that you present

You figured out no solution; you are just trying to pull a fast one (and poorly at that)

or perhaps I can tell of a way in which Space/Time can exist in a vacuum without the Universe being destroyed that you nor your God nor the bible can dispute ....

well yes, you must be talking about the "Adonis" penile pump expander that I've heard often about, where you insert your limp penis into the long cylindrical chamber with a tight seal and then pull back the plunger in front that draws out all the air and creating a vacuum, thus allowing it to expand within the space-time created in the cylinder and thereby achieving a "hard-on" without destroying your penis.

temper temper...since you are a believer..

don't worry, I have the coverage for it!

that verse is not about "praying not being a sin",

It doesn't have to, he not gonna tell his followers to do something that he often does himself.

it is about Jesus trying to fool believers that he is the way to the Father because he couldn't produce the Father when they asked him to

That ain't what the passage says; go back and read well

an example of do unto others as they do unto you

By asking for an Xbox? Man, satan is getting more and more desperate!

where in Genesis does it state anything about an Angel morphing into a talking serpent

It didn't have to; as far as I know, snakes don't talk or tell lies.

as I said..there is not one instance in the bible where Satan did not tell the truth

sure, just like he was telling the truth to JC when he tried to hoodwink him by telling him that if he was the son of God, he wouldn't get hurt if he jumped down a ravine because Angels would come to get him before he lands.
 Aprilikesrosasblancas
Msg: 81
Posted: 2/10/2016 10:18:45 PM

And if your loved one or someone you pray for doesn't make it, is it because you didn't pray enough?............... if God makes the good things happen and you all praise him/her...why do you not get angry when bad things happen and blame god?

First, this is what Job did:
Job 1:20
Job stood up, tore his robe in grief, and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground and worshiped. He said, “Naked I came from my mother, and naked I will return. The Lord has given, and the Lord has taken away! May the name of the Lord be praised.”
Through all this Job did not sin or blame God for doing anything wrong.

Many of us believers can’t be like him, we try but can’t, and with that said, I tell you that we know the death of a loved one is one of the most painful moments in our life, and “Anger” is an emotion who is part of our human nature and part of the pain, we do sometimes experience that sinful emotion against God when some extreme difficulty or tragedy happens in our lives, but that isn’t an indication that we are turning our back on God, we can feel " anger " sadness or disappointment to God but still feeling love and respect toward Our Father.

We Know God is in control of any situation we have, and it is wrong to disapprove of what He does and permits, because God only does what is right and just for us. (I know a death of a family doesn’t feel like it is right, but we have to accept it.)
He can and will grant us the strength to get us through that difficult situation

The attitude of us believers with respect to our faith in the afterlife gives us after a certain time, peace, calm and acceptance of the loss. Our loved one is within the heart of God and is no longer suffering, it also relieves pain knowing that we will find him/ her in the heart of Heavenly Father, where we will all be one day.
 funchesf
Msg: 82
Posted: 2/11/2016 7:51:13 AM

So now you are changing the definition of what a shoe should be

jeez you guys and your definition debates...

so let's ask Adam and Eve...they just like other poor people in the world probably used biodegradable leaves for shoes ..but anyway you presented a shoe foot problem to be solved I've solved it now bow down to my omniscience

well yes, you must be talking about the "Adonis" penile pump expander that I've heard often about, where you insert your limp penis into the long cylindrical chamber with a tight seal and then pull back the plunger in front that draws out all the air and creating a vacuum, thus allowing it to expand within the space-time created in the cylinder and thereby achieving a "hard-on" without destroying your penis.

if that is how your God created the Universe then he clearly is not omnipotent but impotent

also as a believer you should apologize to other believers in this forum for using such an example while discussing your God, if you truly believe in praying then fall to thy knees heathen and pray to the lord almighty for forgiveness

It didn't have to; as far as I know, snakes don't talk or tell lies.

so it's ok to believe that burning bushes can talk but not talking serpents ...but anyway wouldn't you consider it unjust if God condemn all serpents to crawl on their belly if Satan was the one that is guilty of the shenanigans that took place in The Garden of Eden ...

sure, just like he was telling the truth to JC when he tried to hoodwink him by telling him that if he was the son of God, he wouldn't get hurt if he jumped down a ravine because Angels would come to get him before he lands.

that was one of the most pivotal moments in the bible, Jesus went around claiming that he was the son of God and had the holy spirit, some Christians have the belief that the holy spirit is an angel which is why Satan can't be accused of lying ....and besides wasn't Satan an angel so couldn't he have been referring to himself

but anyway Satan knew that Jesus wasn't the actual Son of God but only the Son of God in parables .....Which is why Satan asked Jesus to jump ....Jesus didn't jump because he knew that he would die but once again resorted to parables to talk his way out of having to jump ..Satan in fact caught Jesus in a lie

NOTE...
some will say that the Holy Spirit was not an angel but is God, but then again God being "All Knowing" would know the time of judgement day...since Jesus stated that only the Father knows the time of judgement day in turn provides the proof from Jesus himself that Jesus nor The Holy Spirit is God

so would it had been a sin if JOB prayed to God to keep his family safe knowing that they are being wiped out due to God's Will?
 mrmagogle
Msg: 83
Posted: 2/11/2016 1:19:48 PM
One cannot understand God unless one can experience God. One cannot experience God if one does not believe in God.
 mrmagogle
Msg: 84
Posted: 2/11/2016 1:22:15 PM
The blind leading the blind . . . . very sad.
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 85
Posted: 2/11/2016 1:27:10 PM
The God of perfect infinite, unconditional love..

But if you don't swear that you believe, He will cast you FOREVER, for ALL of ETERNITY.. Into a lake of Hellfire and brimstone and INDESCRIBABLE AGONY..

Forever!! For all of ETERNITY to suffer over and over and over..no escape, ever!!

..but he LOVES you!

Makes perfect sense..
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 86
Posted: 2/11/2016 2:28:09 PM

so let's ask Adam and Eve...they just like other poor people in the world

Other poor pple???
Where the hell does it say that A&E were poor before they got evicted from the Garden (or poor afterwards)!

probably used biodegradable leaves for shoes

a fig leaf might be okay to cover up your junk, but it aint much good to protect your feet!

you presented a shoe foot problem to be solved I've solved it

Not in this Universe!

if that is how your God created the Universe then he clearly is not omnipotent but impotent

No, that was an analogy of what you would have to do fit space/time into a vacuum.
But don't worry man, there are lots of remedies out there nowadays for your problem.

but anyway wouldn't you consider it unjust if God condemn all serpents to crawl on their belly if Satan was the one that is guilty of the shenanigans

yeah, except that they were already crawling on their bellies even before that event took place, so nothing was taken away from them!

if you truly believe in praying then fall to thy knees heathen and pray to the lord almighty for forgiveness

the "lord almighty" has to have a sense of humor, how else could he put up with the kinda sh.it that goes on in this world.

so it's ok to believe that burning bushes can talk

It wasn't actually the bush that was talking (unless you saw a mouth, teeth and gums on it), but a voice coming from it.

Jesus went around claiming that he was the son of God

He did?
then read Mark 10:18

Ummm, or did he go around saying he was "son of man"

some Christians have the belief that the holy spirit is an angel which is why Satan can't be accused of lying

what "christians" are you talking about?
If a person rejects the trinity (father, son, and HS as equals) then by definition, he/she is not a christian!

and besides wasn't Satan an angel

A fallen angel, but this is not the issue.

but anyway Satan knew that Jesus wasn't the actual Son of God

he didn't know either way, but he didn't wanna wait to find out at the time of the crucifixion which is why he tried to fvck him over in the early going!

Jesus didn't jump because he knew that he would die

^ agreed!
because Jesus knew the father (or who ever he appoints) wasn't gonna bail him out, if he had decided to take on satan's challenge. Because in doing so, that would have created doubt in the mind of Jesus as to whether the father was gonna intervene or not.

Satan in fact caught Jesus in a lie

all he answered him was that "you should not put God to the test"! Where is the lie?
If jesus had put him to the test, then it would have meant that Jesus didn't fully trust the father (regardless of the result).

Its kinda like if your girlfriend tells you she's not cheating because of your erectile difficulties, but you still have to check up on her to make sure its true. This is an example of not fully trusting someone.
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 87
Posted: 2/11/2016 2:40:29 PM
Christianity has to use BOTH the "Carrot" AND the " stick" to convince people to worship and "believe".

The PROMISE of " everlasting life" and ETERNAL "bliss" in "Heaven" if you confess belief.

The THREAT of "eternal hellfire, damnation and incredible suffering" FOR ALL ETERNITY if you fail to do so.

Jealousy, doesn't seem appropriate to an "all powerful Being". More like a petty HUMAN emotion projected by the humans who wrote the Bible.

Yet it is claimed that " God" offers unconditional perfect love.?

Sounds a lot more like an insanely jealous husband who would murder his wife if she glanced at another man..or he even "thought" she did..
 mrmagogle
Msg: 88
Posted: 2/11/2016 2:47:31 PM
You make the mistake of buying into the Jesus myth. As others have said:

1) Do you truly believe the creator of the universe would resort to placing himself in the womb of a woman where he would remain for nine months, where he would be born an infant, would grow up, allow himself to be betrayed, where he would be sentenced to death, executed and would arise again to tale the place where he was before he began this ridiculous venture.

2) The Messiah was to rule from sea to sea and from the river until the ends of the earth. (Psalms 72:8). But Jesus never had any power. He fled from his enemies..hid from them, and when finally caught could not even save himself

3) Even after death, Rome who hundreds of years later adopted faith in him, lost its empire.

4) Perhaps most important, Jesus was supposed to usher in world peace. During the time of the Messiah "they shall beat their swords into ploughshares.. nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore (Isaiah 2:4).. yet since Jesus...the world has known nothing but violence...and ChristIans have spilt more blood than most.

Creative writing...the Jesus story. Sad that it is a cover for God's factual reality.
 funchesf
Msg: 89
Posted: 2/11/2016 3:55:56 PM

Other poor pple???
Where the hell does it say that A&E were poor before they got evicted from the Garden (or poor afterwards)!

Adam and Eve didn't own a pair of shoes or even knew what shoes were or even knew they were naked ...I would say that the makes them poor and uneducated ... imagine the fate of Mankind resting on their shoulders

a fig leaf might be okay to cover up your junk, but it aint much good to protect your feet!

I'm pretty sure after they were booted out of the Garden God give them any money to go to Walmart to buy shoes

Ummm, or did he go around saying he was "son of man"

Satan wouldn't have offer him the challenge if Jesus didn't claim to be the son of God ...

If a person rejects the trinity (father, son, and HS as equals) then by definition, he/she is not a christian!

even Jesus wasn't a Christian...he was a Jew....which is why those that follow the teachings of Jesus are Jewish

A fallen angel, but this is not the issue.

a rose by any other name....which is why whether he fell or tripped...Satan is still an angel ...

Its kinda like if your girlfriend tells you she's not cheating because of your erectile difficulties

perhaps that explains your hostility towards your God but anyway sorry about you and your girlfriend, ...

but anyway now can we get back onto the subject that if your God is incapable of placing Space/Time into a vacuum that he can't lift without destroying the Universe that he therefore lack omnipotence and omniscience
Posted: 2/11/2016 4:57:35 PM

We Know God is in control of any situation we have, and it is wrong to disapprove of what He does and permits, because God only does what is right and just for us

Oh, come on, man.

One cannot understand God unless one can experience God. One cannot experience God if one does not believe in God.

There are other more accurate ways of describing this phenomena, this state of mind. Have we heard of them?
 Aprilikesrosasblancas
Msg: 91
Posted: 2/11/2016 7:09:43 PM
^

Oh, come on, man.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.- Jeremiah 29:11

" Oh, Come on" Drinkthesunwithmyface, be happy.... I am sending a Hug with some salsa music .....just 4 u....next time will teach you how to dance it..:):)
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 92
Posted: 2/11/2016 7:44:49 PM

I would say that the makes them poor and uneducated

Yeah, if that is your measure of poverty

God give them any money to go to Walmart to buy shoes

they went to the SALVATION Army store, not Walmart!

Satan wouldn't have offer him the challenge if Jesus didn't claim to be the son of God

If he claimed to be, it doesn't seem to appear anywhere in the Gospels, as clearly as in Mark 10;18 where he said he wasn't. And besides, satan has been known to fvck things up from time to time.

even Jesus wasn't a Christian

I don't think Jesus came to start a whole new Religion; from what I gathered, he came to put an end to it!

Satan is still an angel

I guess to those who worship him & his ideals, he very much is!

but anyway now can we get back onto the subject

Naaah!
I think I have to bench you man; you haven't made much yardage in your attempts; just a lot of lateral runs and the clock is running down! So there is a guy on the sidelines waiting for you with a mask and an oxygen tank, so you can suck some gas to invigorate you for your next task. Don't feel too bad man! Take it as a learning curve, it will give you time to break out that Bible and read it well!
 flman2015
Msg: 93
Posted: 2/11/2016 9:23:52 PM

The god of perfect infinite, unconditional love..

But if you don't swear that you believe, He will cast you FOREVER, for ALL of ETERNITY.. Into a lake of Hellfire and brimstone and INDESCRIBABLE AGONY..

Forever!! For all of ETERNITY to suffer over and over and over..no escape, ever!!

..but he LOVES you!

I remember reading something along those lines in the urban dictionary, it was under the definition of *sshole.

"plans to prosper

I've heard that one before, it's from Spock of Vulcan 3:1415 The Holy Cerebelum. They changed it a little bit though, their stuff is more like "pray a lifetime and die, you dumb worm!"

believers, a narcissist's dream come true. Worship me! Worship me! You'll go to heaven (fingers crossed)
 funchesf
Msg: 94
Posted: 2/12/2016 7:02:23 AM

Posted By: Yule_liquor
Yeah, if that is your measure of poverty

God kicked Adam and Eve out of the Garden with no shoes, no clothes, no education, no food, no home, no tiolet paper no Internet service ...but yet you question it as being poverty

this is a case of how believers have "battered Wife Syndrome" willing to allow God to abuse them and others and view it as Love ...another example is the post below

God killed JOB entire family but yet JOB did not blame God ...another example of "Battered Wife Syndrome"

once the other person in the relationship start systematically wiping out family members you might want to consider ending that relationship

If he claimed to be, it doesn't seem to appear anywhere in the Gospels, as clearly as in Mark 10;18 where he said he wasn't.

the fact that Jesus constantly had to run away to keep from getting stoned is proof otherwise... Jesus tried to deceive people by using parables as a way to deny responsibility for he would say which in the end got him crucified

I don't think Jesus came to start a whole new Religion; from what I gathered, he came to put an end to it!

Jesus wouldn't have been allowed to teach in the temple if he was not Jewish or if he was not teaching Judaism ..which means that his followers are considered to be Jews not Christians,...Christianity were laws handed down after Jesus was crucified by those that lacked divinity which is why it's not a religion but a philosophy like Buddhism

I guess to those who worship him & his ideals, he very much is!

when Adam and eve fell from Grace where they not "Fallen Humans" but yet still Human, which is why Satan's fall from grace doesn't stop him from being an angel, believers want to believe that angels are nice but'through-out the bible God had angels kill people even babies ...the wings/hands of angels are dipped in blood

I think I have to bench you man;

it's best that you do since I told you from the beginning not to get hoodwinked into that conversation, so next time someone ask you can God create something that he can't lift,..... run.....run as if the Devil himself was chasing you,

because no matter how you answer that question you as a believer would only end up proving that your God lack omnipotence, omniscience and therefore can't be a God

to be a God you have to at least be omnipotence omniscient and omnipresence,.sorry..but it's in the Union rule book

Posted By mrmagogle
1) Do you truly believe the creator of the universe would resort to placing himself in the womb of a woman where he would remain for nine months, where he would be born an infant,

especially when one envision God as an infant taking a poop in his diapers, but then again some believe that is how God created the Universe
 Aprilikesrosasblancas
Msg: 95
Posted: 2/12/2016 5:11:23 PM
Is God Omnipotent?
Yes He is.!
But there are 2 things God can't do.

1- Cannot lie
2- Cannot deny who He is.

He still IS the God of the 3 O's.

If we are unfaithful, he remains faithful, for he cannot deny who he is.- Timothy 2:13

The secret things belong to the LORD our God. We have no right to ask: who, what, where, how, why, about God.
God said: I am who I am.

flman2015
Msg: 96
Posted: 2/12/2016 5:54:04 PM

god said: I am who I am.

Figured it out, Popeye is god!

But there are 2 things god can't do.

There went ommipotence out the window twice! Give the man some spinach quick!
 Aprilikesrosasblancas
Msg: 97
Posted: 2/12/2016 6:05:14 PM
^^

But there are 2 things god can't do.

Excuse me Mr. I didn't write that ^^

I wrote this:

But there are 2 things God can't do.

Please use a little honesty next time you quote me.
thanks.!!
 kidreason29
Msg: 98
Posted: 2/13/2016 2:41:17 PM

There went ommipotence out the window twice! Give the man some spinach quick!

Some have a wrong idea of omnipotence, for example the "can god create a rock so heavy that god can't lift it?", is basically saying "can god non-omnipotent? No?; then god is not omnipotent, because if god was omnipotent, god could be non-omnipotent". Basically trying to twist the logic of the definition; it is like saying, 'can god create a square with only three sides? No? then god is not omnipotent". Incorrect.

Some people just enjoy their hatred of god; the inverse of someone who enjoys their love of god. Either way both are thinking about god. It is like an atheist who always talks about Christianity. "You mean an athiest would sit down on a sunday afternoon and spend the rest of the night reading the bible? Yes." Kinda moronic, it is just someone loathing in their own hatred without realizing it. At least they get something out of it, the feeling that they are intelligent.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 99
Posted: 2/13/2016 3:28:50 PM
^

it is like saying, 'can god create a square with only three sides? No? then god is not omnipotent". Incorrect.

well said!
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2016 3:53:16 PM

Some have a wrong idea of omnipotence, for example the "can god create a rock so heavy that god can't lift it?", is basically saying "can god non-omnipotent? No?; then god is not omnipotent, because if god was omnipotent, god could be non-omnipotent". Basically trying to twist the logic of the definition; it is like saying, 'can god create a square with only three sides? No? then god is not omnipotent". Incorrect.

I agree, those arguments as god-can't-exist are silly ones. People of any value in existence-of-god arguments won't hold to them - lol. :)

Some people just enjoy their hatred of god

The only people who would hate God would be ones who Believe -- but pissed. Kind of like a husband "mad at God" because his wife suddenly died at no fault her own, etc. What you point out is a funny little thing people have -- their religion is their God. For many, it's emotions, their arguments, their beliefs, etc -- pretty much equate the two. There's a big difference. But to some, their religion is what holds dear to them. It's their crutch in life. Unfortunately too many people have been conditioned this way in society (but no, not all folks who are religious).

"You mean an athiest would sit down on a sunday afternoon and spend the rest of the night reading the bible? Yes." Kinda moronic, it is just someone loathing in their own hatred without realizing it.

You'd like that to be true, wouldn't ya? :) First, not all non-theists (athiests) HATE the Bible. That'd be more people who don't want to deal with it. Many non-theists hate fundamentalists and fundamentalist interpretations of the Bible (and also some theists do too). A non-theist who wants to or has to defend why he doesn't believe & accept whats-popular, to be taken seriously better know what he's talking about to enlighten others in it. So yes, many non-theists who want to make arguments as to why the Bible isn't some Actual holy scripture that's flawless, etc -- and to point out things to wake people up who are drones of fundamentalism (or super involved liberal Xians) -- has little room for error and is far out-manned. It's a lot harder to un-brainwash someone who's involved in something that has the popular backing.

Another analogy would be a Xian involved in debunking, say, the Koran as a literally True, Flawless holy book -- from an intellectual perspective, not an emotional or biased perspective. He better read the hell up -- not just say the Koran's trash and there are no 72 virgins waiting for every male Muslim follower in the sky.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Absolutely there is a God.