Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Absolutely there is a God.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Absolutely there is a Gravity Wave.Page 6 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)

a Square by only other name is still the same ......a cube is simply a "square" with 6 sides .. basic geometry....you fell right into that one

A square: a plane figure with four equal straight sides and four right angles.
A cube: a symmetrical three-dimensional shape, either solid or hollow, contained by six equal squares.

One is a plane figure with 4 sides, one is 3D shape with 6 sides Contained by squares AS their sides. A cube is not a square. Basic geometry. You fell right into that one. :)

Can a plane figure with 4 equal sides at 4 right angles be turned into having 6 sides and still have only 4 equal sides at 4 right angles? No. It's only people trying to playing definition games to try and get around the basic logic.
 kidreason29
Msg: 127
Absolutely there is a Gravity Wave.
Posted: 2/15/2016 8:56:30 PM

Do logic and mathematics exist in the real world? Not really - they are conceptual tools we made, so they only 'exist' as signals in our neural networks.

When we talk mathematics, we may be discussing a secondary language built on the primary language of the nervous system - John von Neumann

I would imagine you would use math to model the nervous system, but perhaps how the nervous system is modeled in math is from this primary language. It is recursive; then we would be trying to use the secondary language to understand the primary, instead of starting at the primary. Or perhaps they are very similar or the same thing. This quote is pure biocentrism
 funchesf
Msg: 128
Posted: 2/16/2016 7:34:06 AM

norwegianguy456
God cannot make something that has only 4 sides have 6 sides

Posted By: kidreason29
A plane can only be two-dimensional, not 3d+.

unless you two guys are willing to place it on record that all squares and planes lack depth on a quantum level, then all of your statements and definitions pertaining to Squares are inaccurate

Can an omnipotent being do something that would make it non-omnipotent?

if God creates something more perfect that himself that something becomes God as God becomes non-omnipotent
if God create something lesser than itself and therefore creates imperfection ,...God becomes non-omnipotence
and that is why a God wouldn't create, because in doing so, would only prove that it's not a God

Posted By: Yule_liquor
You just don't get it!

actually I do get it, the link you provided which contains a theory that all consciousness is link to a central consciousness means that you lack Free Will and Free Thought and are one of The Pod People,... those are the consequences for your belief that you exist as a Hologram and as a figment of a Higher Power's imagination
 kidreason29
Msg: 129
Posted: 2/16/2016 10:48:40 AM
Nothing is the only absolute(perfection), unless you mean 2+3=5 is perfect(A=A is perfect), but if you mean aesthetically then it is just a interpretation. I could then say everything or anything is perfect and get away with it.

perfection is?
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2016 2:14:43 PM

unless you two guys are willing to place it on record that all squares and planes lack depth on a quantum level, then all of your statements and definitions pertaining to Squares are inaccurate

The definition of a square -- a 2D plane with 4 and only 4 equal sides is not the same as 3D object with 6 squares on all 6 and only 6 of its sides. You're grabbing for straws, man. You're saying there's no such thing as a plane, thus no such thing as a square -- they're all cubes, is what you're saying. But there is such thing as a plane. It's relative to what one calls a flat surface. You're saying since at the super-microscopic (quantum) level there's no such thing as a flat surface, thus no such thing as a square. Going down this silly path when avoiding what common sense can dictate by meanings of words, if there is no such thing as a square:

- Nobody/nothing can change a square into anything else, because a square does not exist in the first place. Something close to it, but not an actual square. Thus, God cannot change a square into anything else, because no such thing exists.

- A cube is 3D with 6 squares as its sides. Squares cannot exist, so therefore, actual cubes cannot exist either. Something close to it, but not an actual cube.
 funchesf
Msg: 131
Posted: 2/16/2016 5:00:07 PM

Nothing is the only absolute(perfection)

would the same apply to your definition pertaining to the sides of a Square ...or perhaps God

Posted By: norwegianguy456
The definition of a square -- a 2D plane with 4 and only 4 equal sides

you just acknowledge that 2D Planes with four equal sides exist...now watch you contradict yourself in your post below

because a square does not exist in the first place.

so which is it ....do 2D planes with four equal sides exist or not .....and are you also claiming that all these billion or perhaps trillions or Zillions of squares on this planet does not exist

good thing my computer monitor is a rectangle and not squared because according to you it wouldn't exist

so come on "norwegianguy456" why not just fest up and admit that your square definition is inaccurate
 kidreason29
Msg: 132
Posted: 2/16/2016 5:28:24 PM

would the same apply to your definition pertaining to the sides of a Square ...or perhaps God

No I don't believe god is absolute. But A = A (square = square) is an absolute, so depends on what you mean by absolute. These are word games,

squares probably only exist in the mind because you can infinitely zoom in on a squares edge without getting to an edge that has sides. Where as things we call squares in reality are actually approximations of the abstract idea of a square. Reality is approximated and math/logic is infinitely precise (A = B in math, but A is approximately = to C in reality)

If there were to be a 2d object in our space the thickness of the object would be infinitesimally thin(actually zero), but yet it still has a surface?
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2016 10:35:54 PM

you just acknowledge that 2D Planes with four equal sides exist...now watch you contradict yourself in your post below .... so which is it ....do 2D planes with four equal sides exist or not .....

OMG, you're joking, right? Re-read my post in what seems to you to be a "contradiction":

Going down this silly path when avoiding what common sense can dictate by meanings of words, if there is no such thing as a square:

Again, there is such thing as a plane, there is such thing as a square. My point was if in imagination denial land there wasn't such thing as a plane, there'd be no such thing as a square -- so when entertaining your imaginative proposition, no, you as you claim, wouldn't be able to turn a square into a cube. That was my point laid out quite clearly.

My square definition isn't inaccurate. It's THE definition of a square. It's not my definition, nor are any of the words used here in this post. I didn't come up with them. If you want to call a square something else, go ahead. You could say lots of new things that are impossible under the accepted English language version.
 gingerosity
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2016 5:01:18 AM
The Cartesian coordinate system is an abstract frame of reference. It is not 'real' in a physical sense, nor are the things defined within it. Mathematically defined shapes such as squares and cubes can only be approximated in physical reality, as kidreason said.

Here is an approximation of a sphere... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMByI4s-D-Y
 8inscrew
Msg: 135
Posted: 2/17/2016 9:14:35 AM
The granite bar top my coffee rests on right now is both 2d and 3d.

Physically it is 8'x 23"x30mm. Why it is measured in both sae and metric.... idk.
It has thickness.

Yet the "top" of the bar top is 2 dimensional.... only a rectangle of 8'x23".

Fact. Not a construct or up for interpretation. A "fact" as "we" define it.
Speaking from both sides of my mouth, right? Neither is wrong either.

My idea of my gods?
The Absolute. The Unfathomable.
Take a large hay field. Empathize with one single stalk of triticale.
Put yourself in it's shoes.
You are surrounded by others of your kind. Also peas, probably. Also other things. Trees, fences, irrigation...
Can you understand all around you? Have the capacity to emphasize with each? No.
Is the rancher god? No.

Take a grain of sand on a beach. Same story. Too much to fathom. No less true.
You cannot "think" your way into god's head.
It's closer to the opposite.... for me.

Btw.. not a xtain, muslim, jew, taoist, buddist, odenist, scientologist.... ect. I have read their bibls. Not a typo. Soft i.
I belong to a group that believes in truth, not dogma.
Truths that hold true for everyone and everything equally.
Undeniable truths.

Everything is in constant movement. Nothing is static.
Everything is on a pendulum swing. It never stops.
Everything is male and female, positive and negative, light and dark.
Nothing can be removed from our world.
Nothing can be added.

What help do these "laws" provide?
A means to stop fighting the unwinnable battle....

Harmony. Absolute.
Why? How? By whom? Lol...
Wrong questions.

For sure there is an Absolute. A "thing" I will never wrap my head around...
Probably more than one "thing" I will never wrap my head around.
Why spend my limited time here filled with doubt? Squandering. Frivolous.

Like Ecclesiastics.... spitting in the wind.
 funchesf
Msg: 136
Posted: 2/17/2016 10:41:03 AM

OMG, you're joking, right? Re-read my post in what seems to you to be a "contradiction":

actually your posts are "outright lies" as indicated in your posts below

Again, there is such thing as a plane

clearly an outright lie.....especially since a plane is a supposedly a smooth flat surface, and they exist everywhere, even the floor in your home is a plane unless you live in a cave lined with stalagmite

there is such thing as a square.

clearly an outright lie ....since squares exist everywhere, sidewalks, chess boards, floor tile....cereal

My square definition isn't inaccurate. It's THE definition of a square. It's not my definition,

another outright lie..... if it was you that presented the definition as being accurate and defending it as being accurate then it's your definition ...

It's not my definition, nor are any of the words used here in this post. I didn't come up with them.

so if they are not your words then who posted them ...perhaps little elves? ..or did you "google cut and paste" them, either way they are your words ....perhaps you shouldn't post stuff that you are unwilling to take responsibility for

now do you see how those Definition Debates and to "google cut and paste" from Wikipedia can get you into trouble

Posted By: gingerosity
Mathematically defined shapes such as squares and cubes can only be approximated in physical reality, as kidreason said.

actually Kidreason stated that a plane can only exist as 2D.. therefore at that point in time it was given physical reality, which is why I then asked the question ....does a square lack depth even on a quantum level ....and you will notice that the question was never answered because they would have to admit that a Square is a 3D objects not 2D

Posted By: 8inscrew
The granite bar top my coffee rests on right now is both 2d and 3d.

Physically it is 8'x 23"x30mm. Why it is measured in both sae and metric.... idk.
It has thickness.

Yet the "top" of the bar top is 2 dimensional.... only a rectangle of 8'x23".

Fact. Not a construct or up for interpretation. A "fact" as "we" define it.
Speaking from both sides of my mouth, right? Neither is wrong either..

once you claim that it has thickness then you know that it's not 2D... but an optical illusion

THE MORAL OF THE STORY
but anyway the point to all of this was to show that by simply turning a square from side to side, that it can become a rectangle, or might be a base to a triangle or a 6 sided Square but yet could still appear to be a four sided Square...and to achieve this feat wouldn't require omnipotence which is why God would have no problem creating it
 kidreason29
Msg: 137
Posted: 2/17/2016 12:11:20 PM

clearly an outright lie.....especially since a plane is a supposedly a smooth flat surface, and they exist everywhere, even the floor in your home is a plane unless you live in a cave lined with stalagmite

There are actually no flat surfaces, just approximately, or relatively(to us) flat. If you shrink to the atomic level you will eventually find 'mountains', uneven surfaces, and holes in the surface. A plane in mathematical terms is different than what we would call a plane in reality, again it is just an approximation. You are just playing word games, just because the meanings use the same word does not mean the meanings are equal to each other.

actually Kidreason stated that a plane can only exist as 2D.. therefore at that point in time it was given physical reality, which is why I then asked the question ....does a square lack depth even on a quantum level ....and you will notice that the question was never answered because they would have to admit that a Square is a 3D objects not 2D

What we describe to be mathematical in reality are just approximations of these abstract ideas. But we shouldn't confuse them as being equal to each other.

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."
 kidreason29
Msg: 138
Posted: 2/17/2016 4:45:11 PM

THE MORAL OF THE STORY
but anyway the point to all of this was to show that by simply turning a square from side to side, that it can become a rectangle, or might be a base to a triangle or a 6 sided Square but yet could still appear to be a four sided Square...and to achieve this feat wouldn't require omnipotence which is why God would have no problem creating it

the moral of the story was, can an omnipotent being make an contradiction true? A = A and A ~= B, but can an omnipotent being make A = B despite A ~= B? It would have to be A ~=B and A = B (a contradiction).

What you are saying is the truth is dependent on the observer and their beliefs.

I see what you are saying, that given what would appear to be a 2d square, you could rotate it and see it is a cube or a rectangle, etc. now the sides are not lines, they are squares. the illusion would be that it would appear to be a square but what you are seeing is actually the front side of a cube. A cube has 6 sides with the sides are squares not lines. Still a square ~= a cube, despite illusions, they have different definitions.

Though perhaps if asked for a square one could present the front side of a cube only.

I like the way you think my friend.
 funchesf
Msg: 139
Posted: 2/17/2016 5:59:09 PM

I see what you are saying, that given what would appear to be a 2d square, you could rotate it and see it is a cube or a rectangle, etc. now the sides are not lines, they are squares. the illusion would be that it would appear to be a square but what you are seeing is actually the front side of a cube. A cube has 6 sides with the sides are squares not lines. Still a square ~= a cube, despite illusions, they have different definitions.

Though perhaps if asked for a square one could present the front side of a cube only.

BY GEORGE I THINK KIDREASON GOT IT

and/or while looking at the 4 sided square you could actually be looking at the base of a 3D triangle, this is why a four sided square can have 6 sides and exist in the same dimension and in the same reality without destroying the square

and that is why a God would have no problem creating a square with 4 sides into a square with 6 sides...because such a square already exist when all one has to do is to turn, flip or tilt the existing square

and I have to get you major major props for how fast you "Reasoned" it out ...I was beginning to think I was in The Twilight Zone
 8inscrew
Msg: 140
Posted: 2/17/2016 6:29:39 PM
Funchef.... you dont meta?
 kidreason29
Msg: 141
Posted: 2/17/2016 6:41:19 PM

and I have to get you major major props for how fast you "Reasoned" it out ...I was beginning to think I was in The Twilight Zone

lol, could an omnipotent being fool itself? if I were to imagine omnipotent it would be capable of being Omni and not Omni at the same time, basically not applying to 'our logic'. Consider quantum logic
 8inscrew
Msg: 142
Absolutely there is a Gravity dog
Posted: 2/17/2016 8:02:49 PM
Could use someone to Sheppard you? Why does auto correct and predictable/ive text capitilise sheppard
but not help me spell capitalize?

Triticale is engineered wheat with more buds than found in nature. Guess who is changing our world.

edit
Range management dictates what i can even plant. So we dont get another depression.
Didn't the wrath of grapes end with the suckling of a dying American? And yet another strong woman.

Quick edit if filter allows.

Define thickness.

How about you define thickness of your integrity?
Seriously. Not agenda wise. Just Semantics,
 8inscrew
Msg: 143
Posted: 2/17/2016 8:46:25 PM
Does the ocean make sand?

Are they going to start growing budweiser in canada? Germany? Articulate the artic?
Seed the ant artic?

Last edit
how does this edict, effect the world and the folks? Born ' n living here?
Orphans. Like me? Left out in our weather...

how to improve?

the real Q.
Pdq

I imagine our anti as just another "thing" we havent been abla to exploit yet.
 8inscrew
Msg: 144
Posted: 2/17/2016 9:34:06 PM
The water provides surf. Mother oc3an
Moon regulates blood.
Rocking is good. Boats are good.
Produce!

Cold or hot. Cold is slower. Hot faster.
Gold metal and diamonds motivate.
Fact. Do well?
Systematic.
Let someone else guess for you?
frop
 8inscrew
Msg: 145
Posted: 2/17/2016 10:32:07 PM
From that tongue you bent. Humbe is the way you should walk
My lil girl says "dont fuck with bees."
She 4 i happy.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 146
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2016 2:31:34 AM
Well, we've not gotten very far since my last visit some weeks ago. But there are a few comments I will toss in:

FLMAN: You say that the first commandment of the biblical ten is "Thou shalt not kill." this is not so. The first commandment is, "I am the lord thy god, and thou shalt have no other gods before me."

Christianity consistently puts faith above all else. You can be forgiven anything but not being part of the team. If you aren't part of the team, you can never be part of The Eternal Elect no matter how good your life and works are. Pooty on that.

APRILIKESROSASBLANCAS: (If I don't get all the names right, it's not disrespect - it's late and the timer's running...)

Ah, April, there we go - The Rules. Who gets to make them up, and to judge whether to respect them? It's The Man In The Sky telling us what we must do to serve him. Why?

FUNCHEST: I think a few others have gotten into this, but I'll try to be precise: A sheet of paper is not a 2-D surface, any more than a dot is a point. The SURFACE of a sheet of paper is a 2-D surface - the interface between paper and air - but it is NOT a plane, as it's not precisely flat. It's nearly fractal, but that still counts as 2-D unless we get so fractal that we can identify a large proportion of 3-space points on the 2-D surface because it is so extensively ramified.

NORWEGIANGUY456: More properly, Logic is a branch of Mathematics. Mathematics is a science, not a language; we construct notations and languages to handle dealing with the concepts.

And, most importantly, Mathematics is the only science where, much of the time, we absolutely know for sure that we are right. We don't "know" that gravity waves exist with more than a considered level of certaintly. But each of us knows that his or her self exists - as something that can think - because we demonstrably do.
ED BEAR
 flman2015
Msg: 147
Posted: 2/18/2016 4:29:03 AM
Hi Ed,

"I am the lord thy god, and thou shalt have no other gods before me."

Thank you for that correction. I should have known that with "omnipotence" comes "omni-narcissism" and "omni-egostistical". The "Kiss my *ss or go to hell" delusion and, some people actually pray for that stuff.

Reality is stranger than fiction.
 funchesf
Msg: 148
Posted: 2/18/2016 5:05:48 AM

Posted By: 8inscrew
Funchef.... you dont meta?

nope

could an omnipotent being fool itself?

only if it believes that it's omnipotent ...because which came first ...God or knowledge?

if I were to imagine omnipotent it would be capable of being Omni and not Omni at the same time,

that's what the Trinity is...three persons that supposedly constitute as being one omnipotence God in which two of the persons lack omniscience because they do not know the time of judgement day and one of the persons lack omniscience omnipotence and omnipresence because he popped out of a womb and lost his super powers

Posted By: Ed Bear
The SURFACE of a sheet of paper is a 2-D surface

2-D would mean that the sheet of paper lacked any view-able depth and/or any depth on a Quantum level and would become "invisible/disappear" if you viewed it from one it's "plane sides" ...

since a sheet of paper does not disappear when you look at it sideways is why a sheet of paper is not 2D but appears to be such due to the limitation of ones vision which makes it an optical illusion..

the thinnest strain of thread would be hard to see..... but would you proclaim it to be "One-D" ...funches 3:16
 Aprilikesrosasblancas
Msg: 149
Posted: 2/18/2016 10:29:24 AM

I have to get you major major props for how fast you "Reasoned" it out

ahh great.!!
And now that you are all at peace and happy, I am going to pray to give thanks to God...:-):-)
 kidreason29
Msg: 150
Posted: 2/18/2016 1:30:19 PM

only if it believes that it's omnipotent ...because which came first ...God or knowledge?

Here is a paradox for you: Don't take me too literally.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Absolutely there is a God.