Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Found dead, eaten by cats      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DinVermont
Msg: 26
Found dead, eaten by catsPage 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Hi Sunshine Girl,

I don't know where you live, but in southern Vermont we do have this service available to us. I think the initial call is probably automatic. And then, humans who care click in.

Yikes, honey! A gun to my head? In my area the state police do have the time. That's the beauty of living in southern Vermont. From your post I assume you need a hug. Enjoy your evening.
Debra
 DinVermont
Msg: 27
Found dead, eaten by cats
Posted: 1/30/2016 3:06:20 PM
Aw, please let's just keep this on topic.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 28
Posted: 1/30/2016 6:58:11 PM
Being older, or alone is of course a concern. Find one person who will check ( call or visit) daily
Mail people change so you can't count on them to report your mail not picked up
Trust me I have spent sleepless nights worrying
Fact is, we need a back up plan for us and our
clearly hungry fur babies
Personally I have someone who calls me same time daily.. If I didnt answer .. and a few hours went by I'd have the Police here
" sorry Officer I was busy banging a youngun LOL"
If some ( one) of you have no one to check in, message me and I will check in with you daily, k?
 daynadaze
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2016 8:22:38 PM
Ah yes, of course the way something is being said doesn't always come through, as I was trying to make a joke of hate spewing against cats. Sorry, I used to be funny. ;-/
 Seki1949
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2016 8:35:42 AM
I had a cousin who lived alone. After two days the clerk at the local liquor store noticed she hadn't been in for her smokes and booze and phoned it in.

I'm thinking of taking up smoking.
 deetristate
Msg: 31
Posted: 1/31/2016 9:12:50 AM
Cats eat you. Dogs sit by you until they die as well.
 Maleman999
Msg: 32
Posted: 1/31/2016 10:32:42 AM
Have you seen the video/news story where a tiger and goat are good buddies at a a zoo in Russia? I bet if the tiger wasn't fed for a while, the goat would look like a good meal instead.
 cookymaker
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2016 10:53:21 AM
I joked with my carpool friend about this once... I had taken time off from work.
"well, I have been dead for two days, and nobody noticed"

You see the neighbor's car in their driveway and you just assume that they are running late or took a day off.
I have thought if I tripped and hit my head, or started choking on something .. How long would it take before someone found me. I don't obsess with it, but I does cross my mind.

My daughter doesn't contact me every day. Her mom is invincible
I would have to plan to have an accident on a week day because then my office would check in. But if it happened on a Friday night........well, I just make sure the cat has plenty of food in her bowl.

I have a friend who now knows to shoot an email to me "hey, going to my brother's for a few days". We email each other daily so when more than 24 hours go by with no response to an email, I don't get worried right away - but when another day goes by and still nothing - I start to get concerned. I told him I would feel awful if he had been lying unconscious for days and nobody knew. Heck, just shoot me a smiley face.

An older woman I know belongs to something associated with her local police station where she calls THEM every morning at 10. If they don't hear from her, they come by to make sure she is okay. She is in her 70s

If something were to happen to me, I would be more concerned about the dog - he eats anything :laughing:
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/31/2016 11:37:06 AM
If I die with no one knowing, I hope it will be in a walk-in cooler so any of my usable organs can still be harvested, and the rest of me can be eaten with no one getting salmonella. I really don't believe in waste. I hope my fat will be used for lamp oil or some such.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2016 2:18:06 PM
My cats are staring at me, and licking their paws.....uh, oh...do they know something that I don't?

YIKES!
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 36
Posted: 1/31/2016 3:03:32 PM
^^ Maybe that kneading they do is really tenderizing you. :/
 sun___flower
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2016 3:08:47 PM
Dayna
Sorry, I used to be funny. ;-/

Dayna, you are funny. And wise. You rock. I always think 'ooh good' when I see a 'daynadaze' post. I want to '+1' practically every one of them I read, but that would be annoying. :-P
 Ouija2025
Msg: 38
Posted: 1/31/2016 3:24:20 PM
There's a book called " How to tell if your cat is plotting to kill you"
lil gems like if they bring a dead animal to you it's not a gift but a warning

Blacklady that was truly funny :)
 Maleman999
Msg: 39
Posted: 1/31/2016 3:24:59 PM

My cats are staring at me, and licking their paws.....uh, oh...do they know something that I don't?

If they go to the scratch post and start sharpening their claws, then you might have something to worry about.
 showboatsupreme
Msg: 41
Posted: 1/31/2016 7:21:03 PM
My mother died recently.

I always had her as my next of kin on legal documents.

Now? Never thought I'd have to consider this issue. It is scary to face our own mortality like this.

I've never heard of a woman being found eaten by her cats. I'll have to Google that...

I make sure I have clean underwear on and my browser history is wiped clean before going to bed.

hahahahahhhaa
 Ed Bear
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2016 6:30:44 AM
My longest love, now 25 years estranged, spoke regularly of her fear of being eaten by her cats if she died. But they were the sweetest things, really, and she outlived both of them. When one died, the other did not attempt to eat him. (They were both neutered males, with widely divergent personalities.)

She said that the survivor walked over to the deceased, took a look and a sniff, and walked away and ignored him until she had calmed down enough to pick up her lost friend and start trying to find what to do with him. Her previous cat had died at the vet's, so she didn't have the issue.

And these were cats who were friends since kittenhood, who would sit and wail at the door if one got out or was away at the vet alone. They spent most of their time snuggled up or playing together.

Now, a quarter-century later, 3500 miles from my former home town, and with no family left in the country, it's a real worry for me. I don't have any pets to try to wake me to feed them, and I don't think that fern is going to call anyone. I do know one of our posties, but that one's only on twice a week.

There was a time when clients would call me in a panic day and night, only to be reminded that emergencies with less than 24 hours notice were billed at double rate. Amazing how that really clarified the meaning of "emergency" for most of them. But now I'm mostly retired, and there's nobody I see on a daily basis. And calling other people in the era of Caller ID and general abuse of communications makes it hard for me to reach anyone most of the time!

I wish I could still get Meals on Wheels, as I did for six months after a surgery in 2003. They expect you to cancel or be there to answer the door!

Thanks for all the worries, folks. ...
ED BEAR
 Ouija2025
Msg: 43
Posted: 2/1/2016 6:44:59 AM
Hey Ed - I think you CAN get M on Ws again - you have to pay the max amt. Or, if you are wanting maybe do a bit of volunteer work, so there is a place you check into regularly. Set up grocery delivery?
I also think Interior Health offers a call in = out service.
Edited to add - you can get Chinese food delivered from MoWs. ok, I would totally do that!
 daynadaze
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2016 8:09:12 AM
Thank you sun flower :-)

My son-in-law often calls me the cat whisperer because all three cats will follow me around. I told him the trick is that I am the one that feeds them most the time, they aren't that thrilled with me as a loved one, they just know I'm the easiest one to guilt trip.
 Maleman999
Msg: 45
Posted: 2/1/2016 9:51:35 AM
One thing I didn't know, or wasn't sure about, is that cats do have dreams. Last night, while I was watching TV, the cat, who was near by and was napping, started waving a paw around, like she was trying to swat a fly. She then hissed and started growling. After a few seconds of that, she woke up and looked around, like she was in a daze, wondering what happened. I hope the nightmare had nothing to do with me, since the cat is not exposed to any other animals and is an indoor cat.
 Inner_Gorilla
Msg: 46
Posted: 2/1/2016 11:58:51 AM
That explains why my cat will spend an hour just licking my arm. I don't really think she's trying to eat me, but rather eat the salt on my arm. When my cat wants to eat me, her hears fall back, she pulls back a little and then pounces on me. Then she lest go and slobbers all over the area.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2016 12:06:18 PM
A friend of mine lives in the hills in Kentucky with his wife. Most people there all know each other but don't live very close together.

A few years ago, his brother that lives alone had an epileptic seizure that broke bones in his spine. He couldn't get up and laid on the floor for two days during the weekend before someone decided they needed to check on him.

I doubt he had any cats, and if he has dogs they probably live outside.

But I figure if I am dead, why should I care?
 koaladropbearsrule
Msg: 48
Posted: 2/1/2016 8:07:35 PM
Something that has crossed my mind quite a bit lately.

Single, no kids, work from home, live alone with 2 dogs.
Noone would notice me gone for days or perhaps weeks.
By then there would be nothing left of me other than dog poop.

Actually my sisters and me took mum with dementia shopping for new undies and clothes recently.
It needed all 3 of us.
So irrespective of pets devouring us.
Who will take us shopping for undies?
 PassionateSunnyGal
Msg: 49
Posted: 2/1/2016 8:26:47 PM
These guys didnt have any pets that was known about--but they think they were dead in the home over two years

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/25109401/two-bodies-found-in-home-chattanooga-police-investigating
 JaiNai2
Msg: 50
Posted: 2/2/2016 7:28:04 AM
Can't say I've ever let my mind go there. I focus on living and staying active and involved. I don't like cats and don't have a dog. (smile) But I can understand how some could have those kinds of thoughts. As my friends have dropped away for whatever reason, I find other ways of staying connected. I volunteer, go to the gym, and find other ways of staying socially active. I guess I've never really felt alone! I do have family close by, and neighbors with whom I have at least a speaking relationship.

And you may be surprised at how many would miss seeing you! Even possibly that snotty kid at Starbucks.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Found dead, eaten by cats