Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Found dead, eaten by cats      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 carolann0308
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Found dead, eaten by catsPage 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/07/us/michigan-mummified-body-found/

Record holding at 6 years in Michigan

I guess I should count my blessings, my teenage daughter would notice as soon as she realized she couldn't hit me up for money that day.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Found dead, eaten by cats
Posted: 2/18/2016 3:03:14 AM
Ouija2025: Actually, I was on the Chinese Meals on Wheels program back then. It was really good. If I have any more surgery, I will seek such a program. A San Franciscan told me (I have not tried to verify it) that the City by the Bay was the first MoW program, and was started by their Chinese community.

Maleman: Cat dreams? Why, yes - Sperry et al used cats in their pioneering sleep experiments in the fifties. They documented the basic stages of sleep we still talk about today, and isolated the nerve that disabled motor output from the brain. Cats in which they severed the nerve would act out their dreams in sleep with full muscular force.
ED BEAR
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2016 11:17:34 AM

I see the newspaper headline "Lady found dead, eaten by cats" .... Give thought to just how "alone" you are? Feel a little isolated at times?

Well, you don't want to move in with a lady with cats, that's for sure! If you two aren't getting along so well -- Fancy Feast will be sprinkled on you if you slip in the shower, and her cats will devour you! :)

Never find & move in with a gal because you don't want to be alone. That route will bring more trouble than your fears. :)
 crook_catcher
Msg: 54
Posted: 2/18/2016 11:42:40 AM

I turn up late ONE day and its a catastrophe

I hear you on that one. First one in the office for 15 years and the first time I came in 15 minutes late crime was rampant and where the he'll you been. ;)

cats, dogs, crows, foxes, insects, etc....all permitted to a nibble, WHEN I'm dead.

Not a pretty sight I can promise you, somebody has to deal with it eventually. ;) I also found that meeting your demise in salt water results in a feast for crabs as they have a penchant for eye lids, lips and ears. Again not a pretty sight and you probably won't be able to get that out of the memory banks....ever. :)
 daynadaze
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2016 11:44:44 AM
LOL Is that anything like never dating a guy with dogs and making him mad so he spreads Alpo on you while you sleep? Too funny :-)
 browneyesboo
Msg: 56
Posted: 2/18/2016 12:03:37 PM
I have a cat, but she's pretty picky about what she eats.
I guess I'd sort of have to feel honored if she thought I
was a worthy nibble.

I'm lucky in that I have daughters I see or talk to everyday.
I think they'd miss me before the cats got to dine.
 crook_catcher
Msg: 57
Posted: 2/18/2016 12:15:54 PM
We had a program through 911 called "Are You Ok" for seniors and people with medical problems who had no next of kin or friends that checked on them regularly. System was automated in that it would place a call and if there was no answer they would dispatch an officer to do a welfare check. A very popular program there.
 showboatsupreme
Msg: 58
Posted: 2/18/2016 12:23:50 PM
As long as my exes are alive, I've got a few folks keeping tabs on me...

vvvvvvv

The florist has been pursuing me for unpaid bouquets.

I'm laying low.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 59
Posted: 2/18/2016 12:29:06 PM
^^^^I've been keeping tabs on you as well.

You've been missing TWO days!

'splain yourself! :o)
 JaiNai2
Msg: 60
Posted: 2/19/2016 7:08:34 AM
I had a neighbor once who could not really enjoy her evenings at home, watching TV, reading, or whatever she chose to do, because family members were constantly calling to see if she was okay. My family and I do talk or text regularly, but they know that I have a life outside of them, and I don't intrude into their lives or they mine, excessively. Also had a family member who had a daughter who called her 16 or more times a day, she said! I see that as more of a problem than what happens after I'm gone.

However, thinking about what would happen if living alone, you fell or something, or passed away is probably a reason for concern for many.
 Marry_Me_Monroe
Msg: 61
Posted: 2/20/2016 2:25:13 PM
well here is a gift for you...

https://youtu.be/8Y9EyJdT64A
 irishgirl772
Msg: 62
Posted: 2/21/2016 3:43:41 PM
This thread makes me laugh. I think about it every time my kitten tries to take a bite out of my thigh..
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 63
Posted: 2/21/2016 9:16:30 PM
I guess I'm different from most as I don't think about being along at 80 or 90. I never relied on other for my well being.
people worry too much about being alone. If the statistics are accurate that there are more single people over the age of 50 then ever before and the numbers climb up all the time. Most of you should expect to stay single. Just look at how many same faces are on here after so many years. What everyone should really wonder why are so many people keep looking but never finding anyone??
 TheEvolutionOfJessi
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2016 1:15:53 AM
After a very brutal winter down here in Tas (and I was extremely unwell) and a not so great summer (pretty sure we've broken records)
I've had my first looks at my own mortality and considered this dilemma of what should happen to me.. especially considering I'm homeschooling my only Asperger's diagnosed son [no father] with no other support... and prospectively buying a new 'home' for us in the next 12 months... so setting up security at '[nearly] fifty.. yes, I toss and turn a LOT... thinking I had better get things in order (and I've begged my son not to have children... he can have a low cost house to live in by himself, but as soon as he has kids, my house goes to Earth Regeneration Charity and he has to buy his own place for them... yeah, I'm a mean mother... )

Fortunately, all medicals at the doctor tend to check me in as 'so bloody healthy you're wasting my time, get out of my office'... considering my mother's long health, and my health now, I'll probably hit 85 years old... (father died in his late 60's of diabetes, smoking and laziness.. I have none of those)

BUT if I'm going to go by some freak accident, and be eaten by my 'pets', it's going to be 'tripped up by my freeranging hens at their suppertime', crashing my head on some pile of something I have out there in the yard... then after they've taken all the fallen supper grains, they'll start on my body... yeup, pecked to bits... there won't be much body to leave to science...
 DinVermont
Msg: 65
Posted: 3/8/2016 10:47:28 AM
SunshineGirl-

You posted "I can’t imagine a police department having so much time on their hands they can repeatedly call shut ins daily to make sure Fifi or Fido isn’t enjoying a corpse buffet. :/"

I'm not a shut in but do like this idea and am now signed up with the "Are you OK" program from the southern VT State Police. And yes, a REAL LIVE person calls every morning at a requested time! Pretty neat to live in an area that offers this additional help. And as far as your comment "if an intruder has a gun to your head and makes you say "yes, ok"? That's not going to happen. Some of us women have firearms and know how to use them. I personally keep a loaded 12 gauge shotgun and know how to use it. My grown daughter has a funny line she uses when she gets comfortable with any new men in my life... she says to the poor guy "don't go knocking on my mom's bedroom window late at night - she might think you are an intruder and shoot you". All in fun. And it's Vermont.
 DinVermont
Msg: 66
Posted: 3/8/2016 10:52:02 AM
Oh, and I had deleted my profile mid-February after posting originally, and then came back just for the forums (in case anyone is wondering why my "joined date" is so new).
 B_Hasenpfeffer
Msg: 67
Posted: 3/21/2016 6:52:33 AM

Yes, I too have thought about this. I have heard that cats will start to devour their dead in 30 minutes flat. Sadly, I wish I could say my cats were nearly that loyal. For them, I am thinking I am toast faster than one can say dIjorno!

Look on the bright side. You will be giving your fur-kids the ultimate meal gift after a life time of feeding them.

However, thinking about what would happen if living alone, you fell or something, or passed away is probably a reason for concern for many

Once a person shuffles off this mortal coil, why would anyone care what happens to the body??

This thread makes me laugh. I think about it every time my kitten tries to take a bite out of my thigh

Your kitten is checking you out and grading you for the eventual day of your demise. Kinda like this picture.

http://nosetotailapp.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/cow_breakdown.png
 cassie2425
Msg: 68
Posted: 3/21/2016 9:19:33 AM
I was chatting with a couple about my Dad's age the other day at my apartment complex. They were telling me that "Joyce" on the 4 th floor fell last week getting up from bed to go to the bathroom, she's got to be 85-ish. . She thinks she fell around 2am and she lay there unconscious and injured until her cleaning lady showed up at 11am. She is still in hospital with a very badly broken shoulder and collar bone plus her hip. Poor old gal, I can't imagine laying there unable to move for hours like that.

I think about these things at times when I'm in the shower or the tub or trip over a shoe I left in the way.
 Maleman999
Msg: 69
Posted: 3/21/2016 10:43:13 AM
^^^That's why a lot of old people have the Lifeline button, that they wear at all times, and can push it if in distress to notify emergency personnel. Mind you, it doesn't do much good if you fall and knock yourself unconscious, but otherwise, it can be a life saver.

Another issue when getting old besides dropping dead in secret and having pets eat you, is becoming part of the living dead while living alone-people who get dementia and Alzheimer's. One of the problems with any form of mental illness or mental incapacity is that people affected often don't think they have a problem, so they would never seek medical attention. When people mention anything about their decreasing mental capacity, they think it's everybody else that's crazy and they are the only sane person around. So when living alone, they can wander off, forgetting where they're going or forgetting where they live, forgetting their name, not recognizing family members, and be a danger to themselves. People can't plan ahead to make arrangement in case that happens, since nobody knows if they will be one of the unlucky ones to be affected. Some people pre-plan a funeral long before they check out, but I haven't heard of anyone pre-planning a nursing home and reserving a bed in the risk-to-wander-off wing, long before they need it.
 FlipFlops4LIFE
Msg: 70
Posted: 3/21/2016 12:02:57 PM

Do some of you think about this every once in awhile?

WTF really? No, I don't. Get a life please!

How about focusing on everything that is GOOD in your life? Work on an attitude of gratitude.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2016 8:44:02 AM
B Hasenpfeffer: I have never seen a cat try to eat one of their dead confreres, and I have known many cats and seen their passings over the years. I already depicted my friend's cat's reaction to his companion's death: a brief sniffing, then ignoring the body.

Cats are apex carnivores and prefer to kill their own meals; they avoid carrion as far as possible. Cats will join other cats to share kills, but will only eat carrion in desperate circumstances - certainly not when well-fed housepets.
ED BEAR
 Maleman999
Msg: 72
Posted: 3/22/2016 5:51:43 PM
But to be on the safe side, I don't let my cat know where I keep the carving knives or cutlery.
 LexiInMDR
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2016 11:46:17 PM
You folks really should approach this topic more positively. When my rotting corpse begins to stink up the condo, rest assured my days of loneliness will be over! XD
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 74
Posted: 4/3/2016 12:52:52 AM
^ Maybe you should get a cat?
 2ufo
Msg: 75
Posted: 4/3/2016 9:36:08 AM
^^^^
It could have been worse.
I once went to visit a friend because he wanted to show me his new pet. He was in the shower when I got there and said 'just make yourself at home'. I sat on the couch and, after a few minutes, discovered his new pet was a six-foot ball python who liked my shoulders, neck and hair. Yike!
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Found dead, eaten by cats