Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is meeting your buddy more important than meeting your girlfriend's      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 B_Hasenpfeffer
Msg: 46
Is meeting your buddy more important than meeting your girlfriend's parents?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

He told me that he cannot come because he made plans with his friend to watch Star Trek

Hey, Star Trek is serious stuff.

I feel more comfortable meeting someone's cat or dog. They are easier to impress and don't care if you say something inappropriate

People who love animals are like that because animals can't talk back or offer a different opinion.

Entice him :

Tell him your parents want him to come over to watch Star Trek

Good advice. The OP could sweeten the deal by telling him her parents will be in full Klingon gear when he shows up. The guy should be there in a hot minute.
 Drezzal
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Is meeting your buddy more important than meeting your girlfriend's parents?
Posted: 10/31/2016 2:09:09 PM
In my opinion you made 2 major Faux Pas.

1. You scheduled this meeting and set it in stone without even speaking to your partner about it.
2. You told your parent the REAL reason, this will cause permanent damage on the relationship between your parents and partner and he will be more reluctant than ever to meet them. Seriously bad move on your end.

I highly doubt he planned a star trek marathon 2 weeks in advance with his unemployed friend, sounds like it's an uncomfortable situation for him and he simply didn't want to do it. It's not easy for a lot of guys to first meet the potential future in-laws. For some of us it's as nerve-wrecking as a job interview.
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 10/31/2016 3:41:59 PM
^^^ Who are you addressing? The OP is long gone!
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 49
Posted: 10/31/2016 3:43:13 PM
^^^^^

Perhaps he just came out of a space/time continuum ?
 aintnodeal
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 10/31/2016 9:08:26 PM
Short Answer: YES - his buddy is more important. Your parents are complete strangers. The only reason he has to meet them is to shut you up. Why can't your parents come over and watch Star Trek? Do they hate sci-fi? Do they hate TV? Are they not able to travel? Do you NOT have Skype, Facetime, or a TELEPHONE?
 inlawsnoutlaws
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2016 12:11:07 PM
Talk to him about it.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2016 7:13:48 PM

Short Answer: YES - his buddy is more important. Your parents are complete strangers. The only reason he has to meet them is to shut you up.

Whoah, easy there. :) They're not Complete strangers, no. They're the parents of your girlfriend, so, they're people you know about to some degree, but haven't met yet. I don't think it's to shut the gal up. He even said he'd like to get along well with her parents if things progressed -- so no, that's incorrect. But it Would be to shut the other person up if they are wanting to do so in an unideal time or setting for oneself -- but the gal puts him in more than unideal but very untimely. If this was the 3rd or 4th situation where it's like that, yeah, it would be to "shut her up". I think the BF is in the right to say "No, not on that day," when he already has plans. Any disappointment by her parents is her fault for scheduling it without consulting him first.

Why can't your parents come over and watch Star Trek? Do they hate sci-fi? Do they hate TV? Are they not able to travel? Do you NOT have Skype, Facetime, or a TELEPHONE?

I don't think it's at all about that... I don't think either party would want a 1st time meet like that. They could meet in a casual setting (like BW3 watching football that he'd aim for), but from the sounds of it, she wants a semi-formal "meet the parents" situation... and knowing that, neither party would want it kicked off in a Star Trek or College Football Watching setting. Bottom line: It's kind of like going out on a formal Date to places she likes. It's good to do -- but she can't expect for him to place it on days where he always has some things in motion. She thinks her having to cooperate is rude on his part.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is meeting your buddy more important than meeting your girlfriend's parents?