Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > OOOOH....Canada.....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gtomustang
Msg: 26
oohhh, my....Canada.....Page 2 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
and another in the pro column:

http://www.mtlblog.com/2015/06/montreal-go-topless-day-2015-is-happening-this-summer/#

and yes, there's a picture.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 27
Awwwww....Canada.....
Posted: 2/11/2016 1:37:38 PM
I was going by the memory of a book I had when I was 10. Turns out the McGill - Harvard game was the first football game played in the states. There were two games, the first played under Harvard rules using a kickball, the second under McGill rules was the actual first football game played in America.

MONTREAL -- This week marks the 138th anniversary of the historic McGill-Harvard rugby-football confrontation. The two-game series, played at Cambridge, Mass., May 14 and 15, 1874, were the first formal games of North American-style football.

These contests were preceded by a Princeton-Rutgers football game in 1869 but that event was actually played under England's "Football Association" rules, better known in North America as soccer.

McGill's game, which featured an oval ball, permitted kicking the ball as in soccer, but the participants could also pick the ball up and run with it whenever they pleased.

Harvard's syle of play incorporated a round ball and a kicking style of play known as "the Boston game" and was also closely related to what we today call "soccer". However, a curious feature of that game was that a player could run and throw or pass the ball only if he were being pursued by an opponent. When the opposing player gave up pursuit he called out to the runner, who had to stop and kick the ball.

The 1874 McGill-Harvard series, which featured 11 men per side, was played with a round ball and "Boston" rules in the first game. The next day, they played under McGill rules, which included McGill's oval ball and the ability to pick up the ball and run with it.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 28
Awwwww....Canada.....
Posted: 2/11/2016 1:59:48 PM

Turns out the McGill - Harvard game was the first football game played in the states. There were two games, the first played under Harvard rules using a kickball, the second under McGill rules was the actual first football game played in America.
These contests were preceded by a Princeton-Rutgers football game in 1869 but that event was actually played under England's "Football Association" rules, better known in North America as soccer.

Well, that may be one take on things:

On November 6, 1869, Rutgers University faced Princeton University (then known as the College of New Jersey) in a game that was played with a round ball and, used a set of rules suggested by Rutgers captain William J. Leggett, based on the Football Association's first set of rules, which were an early attempt by the former pupils of England's public schools, to unify the rules of their public schools games and create a universal and standardized set of rules for the game of football and bore little resemblance to the American game which would be developed in the following decades. It is still usually regarded as the first game of intercollegiate American football

Further, while the McGill harvard game may have had a semblance to modern football, with one game having a soccer slant and the other a rugby slant it is widely accepted the Walter Camp is the father of modern football:

Walter Chauncey Camp is known as "The Father of American Football". Born in New Britain, Conn., April 17, 1859, he would be a Yale halfback and captain, and a member of the Intercollegiate Football Rules Committee for 48 years. His innovative mind would restructure the game from rugby to American football, creating the scrimmage line, the 11-man team, signal-calling and the quarterback position. Camp was the originator of the rule whereby a team had to give up the ball unless it had advanced a specified distance within a set number of downs. Camp studied medicine at Yale for two years, but gave it up to go to work in his uncle's watch factory and coach the 1888 Yale football team. Camp and Caspar Whitney collaborated in selecting the first All-America team one year later. Camp was the first man to publish a book on football, and was also a pioneer in the use of pictures and illustrations as coaching aids. He coached Yale 1888-92 and Stanford 1892, 1894-95. In 1892 he coached both. First he led Yale to a 13-0 season, then he went to Stanford, where the season started Dec. 17, and had a 2-0-2 record. Camp headed the rules committee and was editor of the official guide. He died March 14, 1925.
http://www.footballfoundation.org/Programs/CollegeFootballHallofFame/SearchDetail.aspx?id=88004
 _mungojoe_
Msg: 29
Awwwww....Canada.....
Posted: 2/11/2016 2:35:59 PM

Is Saskatchewan really a haven for the infamous Sasquatch, which the Province was named after ?

Only between "May 2-4" and "Labour Day"... I can't explain why that is, it's a state secret...

Rob Ford...a brilliant leader and Super Star as Toronto Mayor and clearly a shoe in for Prime Minister, was his sudden illness created to derail his bid ?

Actually... it was created as cover for his 2nd visit to rehab... Canadian politics is funny that way... it's actually better not to go at all... than to be seen going back...

Why is the best Burger in Canada at McDonald's...no pub seems to do better they all taste like hash.

They are SUPPOSED to taste like hash...

Oh, wait... you meant the corned-beef kind... didn't you...? Never mind...

why can't I get Molson (X)...here ?

Because the Export... is only for domestic consumption...

I would have thought that obvious...

Ketchup Chips....Really...who's nightmare was that......................

You'll have to ask Vlad about that... it comes from his end of the tub...
 Maleman999
Msg: 30
Awwwww....Canada.....
Posted: 2/11/2016 2:42:38 PM

Turns out the McGill - Harvard game was the first football game played in the states. There were two games, the first played under Harvard rules using a kickball, the second under McGill rules was the actual first football game played in America.

I wonder if a ref in that game checked the balls beforehand to make sure they weren't under-inflated. You wouldn't want to have a deflate-gate situation in the first two games played.

Ketchup Chips....Really...who's nightmare was that.

It was probably the same person who created Dill Pickle chips.
 BlackOnyx48
Msg: 31
Awwwww....Canada.....
Posted: 2/11/2016 2:55:49 PM
Really, it seems that nobody else could have thought of Ketchup Chips except the Canadians...Molson Export is way better then that swill they send over here...we give that to mules and goats when we want to kill them....
 chameleonf
Msg: 32
Awwwww....Canada.....
Posted: 2/11/2016 2:59:12 PM

we give that to mules and goats when we want to kill them....

Let me guess, that's the reason there's a proliferation of gun ownership in the United Hates! To keep all those rabid mules and goats at bay!
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 33
Awwwww....Canada.....
Posted: 2/11/2016 3:10:00 PM
It makes a lot more sense to combine the chips and ketchup than to buy the 2 separately and combine manually!

The same idea as pre-made PB& J in one jar instead of 2 separate ones, and combining them later!
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 34
Awwwww....Canada.....
Posted: 2/11/2016 3:20:05 PM
They had MUSTARD flavoured chips in the Czech Republic , I miss those suckers - I wish WE had those.

Lay's used to have Curry flavour - THOSE were the best !

But they weren't as good as the Thundercrunch Curry back in the 80's - not even close. THOSE suckers were as addictive as heroin ....I guess that's why they stopped making them

And I gotta admit, the Molson Export flavoured chips are pretty good too
 _mungojoe_
Msg: 35
Awwwww....Canada.....
Posted: 2/11/2016 3:22:40 PM

Really, it seems that nobody else could have thought of Ketchup Chips except the Canadians...

Nope... really does come from Vlad's end of the tub... I assume they were meant to compliment the "haggis & cracked pepper" chips... or possibly the "Worchestershire Sauce", "Prawn****ail", "Pork Sausage & Mustard" or "Oyster and Vinegar" chips... I'm not really sure on that point...
 vlad dracul
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Awwwww....Canada.....
Posted: 2/11/2016 3:25:04 PM
Ah now shoutyjoe here we have a cultural breakdown. Because in my country chips are what yous lot call french fries. And what you lot call chips we call crisps.

And yep we have a multitude of different flavours for our crisps. Ready salted, cheese and onion, salt and vinegar, prawn****ail, tomato, beef, beef and onion, worcester sauce etc.

Although you CAN get poncey crisps that they call chips. But they are pony (not literally though as pony is usually beef).

But if you ever visit scotland then a chip supper is a must. Chips with, steak pie or mince pie or white pudding or black pudding or haggis or fish or rump steak. All deep fried and in edinburgh and part of the east coast you get asked if you want salt n sauce? Real chippy sauce. Brown sauce diluted with vinegar.

My pal from kingston over in canaday was saying that yous don't have baked tattie shops over there? They are boss as well. A nice baked tattie with butter and beans and cheese.

Tell you what i did find in eburgh though. A place that sells poutine. In fact my photie was taken the day me and my pal scary mary went to try it. Very nice indeed.

Golden Wonder Crisps
http://www.goldenwonder.com/
 BlackOnyx48
Msg: 37
Awwwww....Canada.....
Posted: 2/11/2016 4:10:01 PM
Why do so many Canadians drive American cars...I see more Dodge Trucks there then here, you have a store there that I love called Canadian Tire...I think, yet you can't get even of Walmart...and what the fcck is up with that damn liter shzt ?
There's a restaurant chain called...Boston Pizza...I once ate there, and called the Police citing fraud, why did you get rid of the Montreal Expos, and replace they with Boston Red Sox, fans...down to playing Neil Diamond's...Sweet Caroline, during events....

This is suppose to be a cultural exchange...being that Canadian know everything about Americans...it's only fair that you regale us with details that are worth visiting Canada to see.
 IL_Capitano
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Awwwww....Canada.....
Posted: 2/11/2016 4:53:22 PM

Molson Export is way better then that swill they send over here...

Man, you have to come to the West Coast where we know what real beer is. Anything from Molson's, Labatt's or the large breweries are absolute shit. Out here there are a nearly endless variety of micro-brewed beers that make anything out of any large brewer in North America or the world for that matter taste like piss. Washington, Oregon and California also have a lot of great beers. Don't drink anything that's made east of the Rockies.

Here's a link to a Tom Brokaw vid that is a pretty good tribute to Canada that many Americans should see:

https://youtu.be/lrA4V6YF6SA

Cheers.
 Maleman999
Msg: 39
Awwwww....Canada.....
Posted: 2/11/2016 4:59:55 PM
Msg 37: "Why do so many Canadians drive American cars...I see more Dodge Trucks there then here..."

The question should be "Why do so many Americans drive cars made in Canada?"
Within about an hour or so drive from Toronto are assembly plants for Ford, Chrysler, and GM (makers of Camaro, but will be shutting down and production will be in the U.S.) Also in the area are assembly plants for Honda (Civic) and Toyota. Across the creek from Detroit on the Canadian side is a Dodge assembly plant.

Guess where most of the vehicles are going. You got it-to the U.S. for American buyers. For the consumer who is waving the flag and saying "Buy American".
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 40
Awwwww....Canada.....
Posted: 2/11/2016 5:01:27 PM
I'm pretty sure the Dodge brothers started their company in Canada as well.
 IL_Capitano
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Awwwww....Canada.....
Posted: 2/11/2016 5:12:21 PM
Of course, another point that often gets overlooked, is that Canada won the war of 1812 and burned the White House to the ground.

We Canadians bask in the glory to this day.

BlackOnyx48
Msg: 42
Awwwww....Canada.....
Posted: 2/11/2016 5:26:50 PM
The Dodge Brothers, at some point ran a junkyard in Canada...which of course failed...it was in no way connected to the Automobile industry, that happened upon their return to Detroit...
The War of 1812, was not with Canada, and England has never given it any credit for any assistance...sooo, other then providing refuge and beef jerky to the Brits after being chased out of the States...Canada carried no sway, don't you still in some way belong to England... and yes...England lost that war too...

Americans Bask in that day even more....
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 43
Awwwww....Canada.....
Posted: 2/11/2016 5:35:12 PM

I'm pretty sure the Dodge brothers started their company in Canada as well.

Wrong again. The Dodge boys made bikes in Canada and cars in Detroit.

Canada won the war of 1812

Yep, and the American Revolution, and the Civil war, WWI and WWII of course, heck Canada won em all...

burned the White House to the ground.

Stupid history books say British Major-general Robert Ross burned the White House...they must have gotten the facts wrong.
 _mungojoe_
Msg: 44
Awwwww....Canada.....
Posted: 2/11/2016 6:04:29 PM

Ah now shoutyjoe here we have a cultural breakdown. Because in my country chips are what yous lot call french fries. And what you lot call chips we call crisps.

Yes Vlad... but I wasn't explaining it to you... I was explaining it to someone who is more inclined to... view "a crisp"... as what is more commonly called "a crumble" over your way...

My way... we stayed in the "potato range"...

My pal from kingston over in canaday was saying that yous don't have baked tattie shops over there?

That's because they fit in their proper place here... next to the porterhouse...

Brown sauce

That too knows its proper place as well... See above...

Boston Pizza...I once ate there

sucker...

it's only fair that you regale us with details that are worth visiting Canada to see.

Well... Let's see... There's a nickel you can look at... some old grass houses... some lighthouses and boats (I wouldn't suggest trying to sail any of them though)... a big skating rink... some places where the American army got its butt kicked... a lot of trees... some really old rocks...

why did you get rid of the Montreal Expos

Ummm... because they sucked...?
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 45
Awwwww....Canada.....
Posted: 2/11/2016 6:10:27 PM
I've always been curious as to why Americans ask the same question over and over again, and every time as though it's something that only just occurred to them: "Oh, say - Can you see by the dawn's early light?" One day one of you people is going to have to be the hero and get out of bed early enough to find out.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 46
Awwwww....Canada.....
Posted: 2/11/2016 6:25:17 PM
Actually, the whole anthem is one run on question. Lots of subordinate clauses, but it's one loooong question.
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 47
Awwwww....Canada.....
Posted: 2/11/2016 6:39:16 PM
^ Is it rhetorical? Maybe everyone else assumes it is, but they really want an answer? I could see myself getting a little pissy in that situation.
 BlackOnyx48
Msg: 48
Awwwww....Canada.....
Posted: 2/11/2016 6:42:20 PM
^^^^^^^^^
OMG...this is an exercise in Community Pride...try and show some....America isn't part of your daily life...you don't live here...I want to here about Canada....the good stuff.

Did'nt you guys invent the Holaloop and Frisbee ?

msg 49
lol, and even that typo is more interesting then anything I've heard about Canada, so far !

I'm still waiting to be Impressed...

IL_Capitano
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Awwwww....Canada.....
Posted: 2/11/2016 6:49:35 PM

I want to here about Canada....the good stuff.

Did'nt you guys invent the Holaloop and Frisbee ?

I'm still waiting to be Impressed...

... one thing I'm pretty sure we invented was the word "hear", which has a different meaning than "here"....

... pretty sure, though it may have been some Brit....

sillysarainsask
Msg: 50
Awwwww....Canada.....
Posted: 2/11/2016 7:06:32 PM
Hmmm. Is the expression "here, here" or "hear, hear"?

I'll keep Boston Pizza (the owner is a nice guy and a former R.C.M.P. member), I prefer their lasagna. I'll keep Bostn Pizza if you keep Sara Palin. And guns. I'll keep my cheap health care. You can keep Honey Boo Boo, the Duck Dynasty dudes and the word "y'all". As well as the word "yous" as in yous guys.

I do love Vegas, New Orleans and the desert. And orange trees.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > OOOOH....Canada.....