Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > New Hope Blooms Again      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 26
New Hope Blooms AgainPage 2 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
The New Yorker has an article this morning that this will give the White House to the Democrats. The Democratic party needs turnout. That's why the GOP has had a decades-long voter suppression strategy. Obstructing and ignoring the Constitution will enervate the Democratic base.

The Republicans are in a bad spot on this. If they do as they threaten, it's very bad politically. If they do what they're supposed to do, they piss off their base. It's lose/lose on their side.
 00Spy
Msg: 27
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/14/2016 9:40:42 AM
Wow -you people have a lot of hatred.
It is the Presidents job to nominate and the Senates job to confirm.
There have been longer delays on a Supreme Court nominee. So there is precedent.
Next November will tell the tale on which party wins this fight.
The Republicans have less to lose in the short run as Obama will get a liberal to replace a conservative if they don't hold out so they will most likely hold out. The danger is they lose the Presidency and Senate. The up side is they win both and the House to control all three. A tough decision either way.
That is unless... unless they reach a deal sometime after the Dem convention.
A moderate jurist for a Hillary indictment.
Which would play better to Obama's legacy.
Choices, so entertaining. Harry Reids refusal to table any Republican amendments has now been turned on it's head and the left scream bloody murder.
One here called republicans scum and there is a special place in hell for them. Wow! Combined with Hillary's female non-supporters also going to hell, hell is filling up rather quickly this year don't ya think?
Another says it's the current presidents duty to select the next Justice....Period even! NO it's his right to nominate the next justice and the Senates right to confirm. The Republicans will not stop Obama from nominating because they can't.
Americans know so little about there own country.
Now with all the vitriol flying around in this thread think just for one moment.
Think that if the robe were on the other back would you really want the right making the comments that many of you here have made here.
American Politics... The Greatest Soap Opera on TV!
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 28
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/14/2016 9:50:24 AM
Really? First, the longest confirmation was a little over 100 days. But this:

The Constitution of the United States is at stake. Article II, Section 2 clearly provides that the President, and the President alone, nominates judges. The Senate is empowered to give advice and consent. But my Democratic colleagues want to change the rules. They want to reinterpret the Constitution to require a supermajority for confirmation. In effect, they would take away the power to nominate from the President and grant it to a minority of 41 Senators."
"[T]he Republican conference intends to restore the principle that, regardless of party, any President's judicial nominees, after full debate, deserve a simple up-or-down vote. I know that some of our colleagues wish that restoration of this principle were not required. But it is a measured step that my friends on the other side of the aisle have unfortunately made necessary. For the first time in 214 years, they have changed the Senate's 'advise and consent' responsibilities to 'advise and obstruct.'"

That was Mitch McConnell ten years ago. Seems to me that it did go to a vote. And he seemed to think obstructing was unconstitutional then.
 aj17225
Msg: 29
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/14/2016 9:54:28 AM
This "delay" talk would have been recommended if the roles were reversed and a republican president was in office. Democrats would have done the same exact thing as they should have. Mung would have started a thread that the republican president should not be able to get a new justice in a lame duck year, an election year. Now the left is acting all almighty that this just isn't right to delay. Hypocrites, every one of them. The process will go forward as it should and a new Justice final vote 11 months from now.
 _mungojoe_
Msg: 30
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/14/2016 10:13:34 AM

This "delay" talk would have been recommended if the roles were reversed and a republican president was in office. Democrats would have done the same exact thing as they should have. Mung would have started a thread that the republican president should not be able to get a new justice in a lame duck year, an election year. Now the left is acting all almighty that this just isn't right to delay. Hypocrites, every one of them. The process will go forward as it should and a new Justice final vote 11 months from now.

OMG... aj has really gone "around the bend"... I guess getting deleted was more than his fragile ego can handle (who wants to bet he claims to have "self-deleted")...

Now he is down to... having to invent "scenarios"... that not only didn't happen... but won't happen... just to make another of his non-points... Apparently... for him... "Make Believe Land" has become the real world...

The "stupid fvckery" was bad enough... Now we have clearly delusional "stupid fvckery"...

Next thing you know... we'll be hearing how he "voted for Sanders"... "twice"... before the election has even happened... but he won't be able to tell us why...
 00Spy
Msg: 31
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/14/2016 10:22:10 AM
Now Half, I will forgive you this one time because you are Canadian but please, just this one time.
President John Tyler waited 424 day to get Samuel Nelson through the Senate in 1846. He died in office and the next Justice Robert Cooper, took 835 days because the Senate would not work with the President.

When Harry Blackmun entered the Supreme court in 1970 the seat was open for just over a year because Dems had rejected two previous Nixon nominees.
So yes there is precedent for the seat remaining open.
There is no law and nothing the Dems can do to make the Senate leader consider the nomination.
It's called POLITICS!
Get over it! Get over yourselves...
"Well, good luck, and I mean it! Now, "get out of here!... you knuckleheads!"
 ChaoticSphere
Msg: 32
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/14/2016 10:27:20 AM
I think the bigger issue is how will Sanders supporters react when the nomination is given (not a win) to Clinton. The entire race was rigged for Clinton. The great American democracy was on display as Dem’s flipped coins (some might say very lucky or one-sided coins) to help determine the winner in Iowa. In N.H. we saw how even a one-sided victory isn’t really a victory. DNC chair Debbie Wasserman-Schultz explaining that the race isn’t rigged but manipulated to ensure diversity within the process. All those white racist democrat voters in Iowa and N.H. are a big, big problem. Rampant racism in the democrat party!

Scalia’s death does bring a new twist and it will be interesting to see how things shake out.
 aj17225
Msg: 33
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/14/2016 10:38:09 AM
mung, it was self deletion and I can't or won't explain the reason. We all know you would have had a different take had a republican president wanted a quick replacement in an election year. And I would have agreed with that thread. Trying to educate you on different issues is trying but some of us will never think it is a lost cause. Picking a replacement should not be political but it is. This point of itself and during a lame duck year makes it even more important to have our new President make their choice.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 34
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/14/2016 11:01:34 AM
Elizabeth Warren:

The sudden death of Justice Scalia creates an immediate vacancy on the most important court in the United States.
Senator McConnell is right that the American people should have a voice in the selection of the next Supreme Court justice. In fact, they did — when President Obama won the 2012 election by five million votes.
Article II Section 2 of the Constitution says the President of the United States nominates justices to the Supreme Court, with the advice and consent of the Senate. I can't find a clause that says "...except when there's a year left in the term of a Democratic President."
Senate Republicans took an oath just like Senate Democrats did. Abandoning the duties they swore to uphold would threaten both the Constitution and our democracy itself. It would also prove that all the Republican talk about loving the Constitution is just that — empty talk.

Oh, and the hypocrisy is all on the Republican side. The last time a Supreme Court Justice was confirmed in the final year of a President's term was the Democratic Senate confirming Reagan's nomination.
 trinity818
Msg: 35
view profile
History
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/14/2016 11:21:33 AM

The process will go forward as it should and a new Justice final vote 11 months from now.

What kind of BS crappola is that? Obstructionist republicanism?

11 months? You've got to be joking. That's ridiculous. I could maybe understand 2-3 months...but almost a friggin' year? I don't care which party is playing that game. I would vote them out first opportunity I get.

I'm a registered independent. Does that make a difference?
 _mungojoe_
Msg: 36
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/14/2016 11:25:32 AM

mung, it was self deletion

Yeeeaaah... riiiight.... "self-deletion"... That's the ticket... yeeeaaah...

My god man... can't you even open your mouth... without the flagrant lies spilling out...? You have got to be one of the biggest liars on this forum...

And it all started with... the lie of "voting for Obama, twice"... as you tried to play the "reborn & reformed sinner" game with everybody...

Face it dude... once caught in an egregious lie... you'll be known as an liar... the rest of your life... And all because you were too much the pig-headed conservative... to admit the lie when called on it...

and I can't or won't explain the reason.

Well... there's a "big surprise"... Who would ever have seen that coming...

We all know you would have had a different take had a republican president wanted a quick replacement in an election year.

Oooh... Now you've got your "Amazing Kreskin" hat on...

Is it the same one that told you... "A lie about voting for Obama will be believed by everyone and won't bite you in the butt later"...? If it is... it could use a bit of servicing...

Oh, and the hypocrisy is all on the Republican side.

Of course it is... but it won't stop them from claiming hypocrisy on the part of Dems... based on the "Amazing Kreskin" scenarios... they invent out of the air... about things that haven't happened...
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 37
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/14/2016 12:19:25 PM
Poor TeePotty boobies--remember how they thought closing down the gubmint was such a good idea? Until they got blamed for it?

Justice Samuel Alito
Nomination Date: Oct. 31, 2005 (George W. Bush)
Confirmation Day: Jan. 31, 2006
Days Between: 92 days

Chief Justice John Roberts
Nomination Date: July 19, 2005 (George W. Bush)
Confirmation Date: Sept. 29, 2005
Days Between: 72 days

Justice Stephen Breyer
Nomination Date: May 13, 1994 (Bill Clinton)
Confirmation Date: July 29, 1994
Days Between: 77 days

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg
Nomination Date: June 14, 1993 (Bill Clinton)
Confirmation Date: August 3, 1993
Days Between: 50 days

Justice Clarence Thomas
Nomination Date: July 1, 1991 (George H.W. Bush)
Confirmation Date: Oct 15, 1991
Days Between: 107 days

Justice David Souter
Nomination Date: July 23, 1990 (George H.W. Bush)
Confirmation Date: Oct. 2, 1990
Days Between: 71 days

Justice Anthony Kennedy
Nomination Date: Nov. 11, 1987 (Ronald Reagan)
Confirmation Date: Feb. 3, 1988
Days Between: 84 days

Justice Antonin Scalia
Nomination Date: June 17, 1986 (Ronald Reagan)
Confirmation Date: Sept. 17, 1986
Days Between: 92 days

Justice John Paul Stevens
Nomination Date: Nov. 28, 1975 (Gerald Ford)
Confirmation Date: Dec. 17, 1975
Days Between: 19 days

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2009/05/26/supreme-court-nomination-timelines/
 missmgregor
Msg: 38
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/14/2016 12:29:36 PM
Why to the idiots here have to use emoticons to express themselves? Can't they use words or are they simply too illiterate to do so?
 _babblefish
Msg: 39
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/14/2016 12:40:03 PM

Why to the idiots here have to use emoticons to express themselves? Can't they use words or are they simply too illiterate to do so?

who doesn't use emojii's ? they've been around since 1995, do catch up
 _mungojoe_
Msg: 40
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/14/2016 1:03:26 PM

Why to the idiots here have to use emoticons to express themselves?

Largely... because it annoys the idiots... who are dense enough to make grand assertions... about people using them...

I thought it was kind of obvious... but apparently not... to some...

Can't they use words or are they simply too illiterate to do so?

See what I mean...? It works...
 00Spy
Msg: 41
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/14/2016 2:59:43 PM

The answer is right there in your question.
 BlackOnyx48
Msg: 42
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/14/2016 3:05:28 PM
Honestly...grown men using all those corny emoticons look like sissy's, the really flaming kind.
Maybe now that they know, they will stop...but I doubt it, they say it's in their DNA........
 gtomustang
Msg: 43
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/14/2016 3:20:37 PM
I thought it was, why DO idiots use emoticons? Regardless, every time I see the title "new hope blooms again", I keep thinking this is a post about the next in the Star Wars series....
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 44
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/14/2016 4:03:42 PM

and if someone like Cruz is allowed to run for Prez AND pick the next SC justice...you might actually see people turn out to vote.

Yes, if the Dems play it right!

1st; they have to select a fairly moderate candidate; who embraces some GOP ideals

2nd; then they have to have McConnell make good on his threat

3rd; then the Dems can break out the heavy artillery at them, exposing them for what they really stand for: Obstructors of the cogwheels of gov't; derilects of their obligations; wasters of Tax-payer funds.

4th; then capsulize it into the ultimate goal of the GOP; to control the SC in order to continue waging war on the rights of women and gays, create further venues to enhance leverage of big enterprise and impoverish the middle class.

Keep hammering away it over and over
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 45
celebrating death for partsan gain..ghouls?
Posted: 2/14/2016 4:10:33 PM
Good to see y'all celebrating, whooping it up over someone's death..
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 46
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/14/2016 4:15:35 PM
I haven't celebrated his death, just talked about the implications.

But the guy did devote his life to spreading misery and pain as widely as he could. He did everything he could to subvert both the Constitution and the will of the people. He was doing it before he was a Supreme Court Justice (take a gander at the decision to overturn the Fair Use provision which was unanimously strengthened by both houses only a few years earlier), and he did it while on the Supreme Court.
 ChaoticSphere
Msg: 47
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/14/2016 4:39:07 PM

Yes, if the Dems play it right!

1st; they have to select a fairly moderate candidate; who embraces some GOP ideals

2nd; then they have to have McConnell make good on his threat

3rd; then the Dems can break out the heavy artillery at them, exposing them for what they really stand for: Obstructors of the cogwheels of gov't; derilects of their obligations; wasters of Tax-payer funds.

4th; then capsulize it into the ultimate goal of the GOP; to control the SC in order to continue waging war on the rights of women and gays, create further venues to enhance leverage of big enterprise and impoverish the middle class.

Keep hammering away it over and over

I would imagine Republicans would expose Chuck Schumer (2007) advocating obstructing Bush’s Supreme Court nominations, with 7 months remaining in office.

Schumer was for obstruction before he was against obstruction! Typical dem politician!

I’m not sure Yellen can prevent the economy from entering a crisis prior to the election. Something to consider and can swing the election.
 00Spy
Msg: 48
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/14/2016 4:53:27 PM
Wow it's a good thing you aren't celebrating Half. Conservatives believe he was upholding the Constitution. While you are trying so hard to prove you are not celebrating his death you just trashed a very intelligent man who was loved by the other Jurists on both sides of the political aisle.
Just because you disagree with his opinions does not make him a bad person. But it does show you as shallow.
Be like Joe,
“Justice Scalia and I had fundamental disagreements about how the Supreme Court interprets the Constitution, but we shared a belief that sharp debates, tough questions, and deep respect for the adversarial process was an essential part of our judicial system and our democracy,” he said.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 49
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/14/2016 4:55:12 PM
I'm not a politician. We owe respect to the living, to the dead we owe only the truth.

The world is a little bit better now.
 cotter
Msg: 50
view profile
History
New Hope Blooms Again
Posted: 2/14/2016 8:56:45 PM
Message 48 ...
Conservatives believe he was upholding the Constitution.
Even though Democrats are willing to say they were mistaken to allow "Dumbya/Gumpya" to go to war with Iraq, conservatives still won't admit it was wrong and still idolize that worthless piece of shit. I guess that says something about conservatives ... eh?

While you are trying so hard to prove you are not celebrating his death you just trashed a very intelligent man who was loved by the other Jurists on both sides of the political aisle.
We're all entitled to our opinions ... and that man was not good for the country.

According to many people, Scalia was the vilest person in Washington!

Just because you disagree with his opinions does not make him a bad person.
Perhaps ... but that man went out of his way to make people miserable. Good that he's gone!

Now it's time to let President Obama do his job ... with the hopes the Senate will do their job too!
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > New Hope Blooms Again