Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 VikingHoosier
Msg: 16
Could I please have assistance with my profile?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
You have only two photos. The hat photo has a distraction: a pedestrian in brightly colorful pants.

Your opening text might be considered a waste of supposed busy time. The current wording about family is somewhat strange, writing separately about parents and a sister, so it sounds like the earlier dining with family is with a wife and kids.

Asking what to write in a message is like asking which bait or lure to use when fishing. It's subjective with more than one correct answer. The template of 3 sentences ending with a question is like using a lure the fish have seen thousands of times, retrieved quickly so it would be a chore for the fish to strike in the hypothetical situation it wanted to. Your best bait is good photos, then you might have her at hello.

My lips are sealed about last night's Blackhawks game!
 Scaretale
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Could I please have assistance with my profile?
Posted: 4/20/2016 3:30:30 PM

Do you have suggestions on other things to ask/mention in an email, not just movies? Other things I can say to come up with a good email? Ways to get more responses?

Give us a couple screen names you'd like to message, and what your message would be, and maybe we can help you out. :-)

Kinda have to see a girl, and her profile to personalize it.
 call_me_tater
Msg: 18
Posted: 4/20/2016 4:13:26 PM
NO!!!
Do not do that!!
Wtf?
 Scaretale
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2016 7:21:56 PM
What the heck tater, what's wrong with that?

Stop trying to c$ck block this guy. lol

He's talking Batman and Superman to chicks...he needs help. :-P
 Forums_only
Msg: 20
Posted: 4/20/2016 9:02:17 PM

Do you have suggestions on other things to ask/mention in an email, not just movies? Other things I can say to come up with a good email? Ways to get more responses?

Keep in mind most women won't even read your message until she's looked at your photos, read your profile, decided if she likes what she sees and thinks you may have something in common.

Do NOT post other users' names/profile links in your own thread, it against the site rules.

As you say you are a movie freak, you can simplify it if the woman has mentioned "Movies" as an Interest (annoying as it's SOOOO generic)

Hi, (username!)
As a movie lover too, I'm especially looking forward to seeing (whatever) when it comes out. I think it will be especially (funny/well-filmed/good with the special effects/whatever). What have you seen lately? *alternate question: Do you prefer the big screen or Netflix ? {your first name only}

This is just a sample, but it acknowledges the common interest, doesn't sound like 'spam', and opens an easy way to reply IF she wants to. You can switch it around to work with whatever you're thinking of. Depending on her reply (IF she replies), you can continue to talk about films and ask what type she generally likes... and so on. But don't go on forever - after a few conversations online, change up the subject to something else and see if it continues. If you are getting a decent conversation, offer to continue it over a coffee or something on the weekend. You're not here for a penpal!
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 22
Posted: 4/21/2016 3:04:53 AM
F_O gives a perfect first message format above. It shows shared interest, shows you've read her profile, asks a simple question about a subject she enjoys and is not too long.

I haven't really read the replies you've received so far so apologies if I'm repeating what's already been said.

The photos you have are OK (not great, but OK) but you need more than 2, and at least 1 full body.

The first couple of sentences you write are a total waste of time. As you say, they're busy. Just get on with it. Delete everything up to and including "Here are the basics".

Starting with your work info is not a great way to start. Work is not that interesting a subject to bring up to pique a new woman's interest. Better to switch it around, start with the best bits (ie. bits most women will find attractive). And to be frank auditing books in a local hotel isn't exactly chick magnet. Speaking of auditing, do you mostly do that, since you put "hospitality" in your profession field? If you're mostly working with books change it to accountant. Or if you mostly look after guests, keep it as hospitality.

Don't tell them to send a message - they know what to do. Also the "if you're the curious type" line can go, it achieves nothing except making it sound as though you're talking to multiple women. Which is not the way to get *one* woman interested.

The second paragraph seems to be a continuation of interests list which began in the first... I think you need to re-structure it. Put interests in one paragraph (or better yet put them in the interests box, and talk in more detail about a couple of them here).

In the first date I would change "borrow" to hire. I don't think implying illegal activity in a dating profile is a good plan.
 call_me_tater
Msg: 23
Posted: 4/21/2016 12:44:33 PM

What the heck tater, what's wrong with that?

Stop trying to c$ck block this guy. lol

He's talking Batman and Superman to chicks...he needs help. :-P
First, it's against the rules for a very good reason.
You've just suggest he violates terms of service here and get himself banned.
Second, imagine if these women wandered into this very public forum and saw the links to their dating profiles here.
Then they find out other people are writing his messages?

Please review the site rules before offering such advice.

Nothing wrong with Marvel and DC movies...plenty of women love them and don't just attend because a dude dragged them there.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr Chords,

The mention several times of your sister doesn't sit well with me.
Also sounds like you might need family approval for dating or they're coming on the first one.

Talk about your new interest in running without mentioning her.
Instead of calling them races, use 5k, 10 k, half marathon. Sounds better. Tell how often you run on a regular basis.
Women love to see what you're passionate about.
 Scaretale
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2016 12:56:20 PM
Ok Post Police...sorry :-)

If I found out some girl was getting help messaging me, I'd be flattered :-)

What if he just copied the profile into here? Is THAT against the rules? :-P
 Forums_only
Msg: 25
Posted: 4/21/2016 6:48:31 PM
Yes. Besides being tacky, yes it is against the rules.
 Forums_only
Msg: 30
Posted: 5/6/2016 3:36:35 PM
Refer back to msg #16 and msg # 23 where this was answered.

You still need a great smiling clear shoulders up headshot as a main or there's not really any point in crafting a clever message.
 Chromis1
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2016 5:57:45 PM
^^^^^^ Arrrrggghhhh!

It all really doesn't matter. You need to improve your pictures. Until you do, any other effort you make is a waste of your time.
 Forums_only
Msg: 35
Posted: 5/16/2016 7:24:53 PM

Do you have other suggestions that are more generic or can be used for other topics (cooking, traveling, the beach, concerts, dancing, etc

Avoid generic - it will seem like a 'spam' message and will be deleted.

Cooking - "I am learning how to cook (whatever) and so far it's turning out well. I've never set off the smoke alarms, so it's all good. What's your favourite?"

Travelling - "I've always wanted to go to (wherever). It just seems very (describe). Have you been there? or alternately, What did you like about it?"

Pick the topic, identify with it, mention something you like about it, ask a question to generate a response.

But first... PHOTOS.
 MusicAndWaves
Msg: 36
Posted: 11/13/2016 5:40:04 PM
What do you think of this latest version of my profile - photos, descriptions, headline, user ID, etc. Thanks.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2016 6:00:02 PM
chromis1 is right, all about the pictures initially. The profile hardly matters if the gals are not attracted and certainly wont write to you first so dont wait around for that.
 Forums_only
Msg: 38
Posted: 11/13/2016 6:41:06 PM
You have a whole of lot head shots, two is really all you need. Then you can add photos from recent events or holidays, and include a casual full length shot. Got anything from one of your running gigs?

Your intent says 'nothing serious'. At 30+, this generally implies casual dating around with ultimately no commitment. Is that what you were intending? If yes, leave it. If you were ultimately hoping to meet just one great lady, consider changing that intent to looking for a relationship. Women can get 'casual' anywhere.

Other than running, what other character traits appeal to you? Are you open to someone who may have a child(ren) of her own? If yes, mention it. If not, don't. Do you appreciate someone calm and thoughtful? Or someone spontaneous and bubbly? or a mix of both? Use your imagination.
 MusicAndWaves
Msg: 39
Posted: 11/15/2016 9:27:36 AM
Which photos do you guys think are the best ones? Which photos are not good photos?
 MusicAndWaves
Msg: 40
Posted: 11/16/2016 12:54:12 PM
Could I have some assistance? I removed some pictures that I thought were bad and added some full length shots. May I have your impressions of my profile - the pictures and descriptions?
 Ouija2025
Msg: 41
Posted: 11/16/2016 2:42:06 PM
Hi :)
For me the pictures have a sameness.. are you looking into the Sun because you are squinting a bit. The full body picture with the red shirt, too distant
You are a musician. But did you put that in your Interests? Heck no. Do so. Might mention in the text what type of music you play
Add you first name instead of " about me"
k, you aren't a Hotel, state what you do there, desk clerk, night auditor, etc
There isn't much spark to it, she wants an idea what it is like to hang with you.
This line was really good
Currently, I'm training for another race. Perhaps on my next race, you'll be running by my side...
then you ruin it with " if you can keep up" Ha! What if she smokes you?
So basically you dine out with family and go to ballgames with friends. Nothing wrong except she is going to think there is always a crowd when you go out with her.
It is too cold to go boating here now
 MusicAndWaves
Msg: 42
Posted: 11/24/2016 6:31:27 PM
Thanks for the feedback.
 MusicAndWaves
Msg: 43
Posted: 12/15/2016 3:41:15 PM
Could I please have other suggestions on good emails to send to women? More creative, catchy, or funny?
 MusicAndWaves
Msg: 44
Posted: 12/25/2016 9:55:41 PM
What would be some examples of messages that guys have sent that were successful/effective or messages that women have received that they liked?
 MusicAndWaves
Msg: 45
Posted: 12/19/2017 1:23:39 PM
I have recently made some changes to profile and would like to know your opinions of the pictures and descriptions. Thanks so much.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2017 9:17:28 PM
Music, why not start your own topic to ask, to then bring more attention to your questions.
 MusicAndWaves
Msg: 47
Posted: 12/20/2017 7:20:36 AM
What do you mean - start a new thread?
 NewYorker58
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2017 10:01:22 AM
There's a link on the page where it lists all these profile reviews, top, left. It says New Thread. Click on that, put in how you want the subject of yours to read, and then ask your questions. Look at this page to find the New Thread link: https://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingForum94.aspx
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  >