Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > I'm not Lisa, my name is Julie.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 25
view profile
History
I'm not Lisa, my name is Julie. Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Actually my favorite name story, a true one, is about one of my brothers.

Funny thing about our family, we seem to be genetically literal, which plays a part in this.

Anyway, as happens with most kids when they begin a school year, the teacher said "I see your name is William Charles. What do you want to be called?"

A logical and common question, from a teacher hoping to establish rapport with a new student.

But my brother, being of the genetic heritage he is, thought for a brief moment and answered factually:

"I'd like to be called Jonathan, but nobody ever calls me that."

She called a parent teachers meeting over that.
 CarefreeBeauty
Msg: 26
I'm not Lisa, my name is Julie.
Posted: 3/12/2016 12:03:18 PM
^^^That's a very funny story, David!

What did your parents say to the teacher? 'Well, you asked him what he wanted to be called. And he TOLD YOU!'

hahahah
 cassie2425
Msg: 27
Posted: 3/14/2016 9:41:09 AM
Did anyone else have a mother that called you by your sibling's names - all together. Like - "SallyNormanJoeySusie get your butt over here".

And did anyone want to change their name, like the little guy who wanted to be Jonathan?
 yougotmeakitten
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/15/2016 8:41:06 PM
LOL I do that to my kids cassie. Now I call the grands by their mom and uncles names.

LePew
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2016 10:43:27 PM

Did anyone else have a mother that called you by your sibling's names - all together. Like - "SallyNormanJoeySusie get your butt over here".

Well, that's not calling You by your siblings' names -- that's calling everyone over by a collective group-name, right? I was called not by a sibling's name, but by the pool man's name. He'd always be around when my dad wasn't. People say I looked like him. Was always confusing to me. Hmmm.
 Cowgirlwannabe1
Msg: 30
Posted: 3/17/2016 5:33:16 AM
good song choice OP

grew up with a mom that listened to her

and who also called us whatever name that popped into her head is she got mad enough
 StumbledN
Msg: 31
Posted: 6/15/2016 5:55:52 AM

and who also called us whatever name that popped into her head is she got mad enough

Reminds me of my mother. Except she did it even when she wasn't mad. She would run down a list of 4-5 names before she got to mine. And usually in the same order. My brother, then her brothers, then maybe a cousin or two, then me.
My first name is just a standard all american name. Probably came from a baby name list. I dunno. I guess the family names had all been taken by the time I came along. But my last name is one you don't see everyday. It's only four letters and pronounced exactly the way it's spelled. It's really simple. So I've been totally mystified my entire life by the way so many people mangle it. People add a letter or two when they spell it or pronounce it. I guess they think a name can't possibly be so simple, so they try to read something into it that's not there. I like it though. At least my last name. Makes signing a stack of stuff a lot easier than a longer name would. My first name though, I've never felt very attached to it. I answer to practically anything anyone wants to call me.... no problem.
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 32
Posted: 6/15/2016 8:24:47 AM

"I'd like to be called Jonathan, but nobody ever calls me that."

Too funny.
During the, "Let's get to know each other", phase of the teacher/student pre first day of kindergarten/class session, my son was asked,
"What is your name?" "Jonathan".
"What do you like to be called?" (He looks up at me) "Jonathan".
"Does anyone ever call you, Jon?" "No-uh".
"Can you spell your name?" (He leans into me and whispers,
"Momma, how do you spell Jon?") "Just 3 letters, honey, J-o-n."
(A moment or two of deep thought) ....................."I'd like to be called, JON! "

And so he was, LOL
 wolftxusa66
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2016 10:13:34 AM
My first name is "Wolfgang" and I put it under each first message I send (initial contact or first reply). About three messages later, I usually get asked what my REAL name is... From now on I'll say "Lisa". lol

It's cool though. My German accent works wonders in Texas. :)
 HippyDippyWeatherman
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2016 4:11:27 PM
A co-worker always emphasized his name was Glenn with two n's. After hearing that a hundred times I finally told him I'm Bill with three l's.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2016 12:03:15 PM

As long as they call you the right name in bed, that's all that matters.... :-D

Meh... In bed, a POF date can call me whatever name she wants!
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 36
Posted: 6/19/2016 1:27:04 PM

In bed, a POF date can call me whatever name she wants!

I'm partial to "Studmuffin".
 Llookingformynextmistake
Msg: 37
Posted: 6/19/2016 2:32:14 PM

In bed, a POF date can call me whatever name she wants!

I'm partial to "Studmuffin".

I have a bluetick /bloodhound mix dog that I call "Handsome". That was fine until my bf realized I was calling him "Handsome" too. He was rather offended sharing a nick name with a dog.

Le Pew
 Red_Fish_Blonde_Fish
Msg: 38
SAY MY NAME B!TCH
Posted: 6/19/2016 4:00:55 PM
OP Le Pew, if I read your original post correctly, you are asking about people on OLD addressing you by the incorrect first name? Because they are emailing so many?

This is OLD, so I would expect many people will email multiple people HOWEVER...

if a person aint smart enuf to remember my name &/or have crib notes, they aint smart enuf to get one second of my time!
 Llookingformynextmistake
Msg: 39
SAY MY NAME B!TCH
Posted: 6/20/2016 7:06:14 PM
Red / Blonde ^^^^ Yes, but what I usually get is a variation of the spelling of my name. However, tonight I see someone changed it to Sexy. *groan* Give me a break! :(

Le Pew
 hemingway234
Msg: 40
SAY MY NAME B!TCH
Posted: 6/21/2016 7:36:12 AM
I'll answer to anything!
 Ouija2025
Msg: 41
SAY MY NAME B!TCH
Posted: 6/21/2016 7:51:45 AM
I like the two N story :)
Knew a woman engaged
I thought his name was actually Mysteve.
as long as you don't call me late to dinner or wine-thirty
No ones messes up my name.
Some ppl do tho look like they should be named differently - I know a Cathy I can't stop calling Wendy. She should change her name :p
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 42
SAY MY NAME B!TCH
Posted: 6/21/2016 8:49:19 AM
Thrust Messiah my lady....
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 43
SAY MY NAME B!TCH
Posted: 6/21/2016 9:21:48 AM
To those with children, the 2 legged version as well as with 4.

Did you have names picked out, before they were born, /before you adopted them, and then.....................
you met a child or pet with the name you thought was just right/so cute/adorable and then...................
OMG! This child or dog/cat was a brat, spoiled, badly misbehaving, ................
soooooooooooo bad you were grinding your teeth? Couldn't leave the room fast enough?

?Changed your idea of the perfect name now, didn't ya? LOL
 Llookingformynextmistake
Msg: 44
SAY MY NAME B!TCH
Posted: 6/21/2016 1:37:59 PM
LadyInRed, ^^^^ I have thought that before, since I knew a gal named Marilee in H.S.. She was exceptionally smart and stuck in a Government class with a bunch of us "burnouts and collective losers". ;D She needed to leave class for some sort of meeting and the teacher asked if anyone else was going? On her way out she made the comment no one in the class was smart enough to qualify to attend. (Don't remember the exact words but you get the gist.) The rest of the class rolled in laughter because the teacher made a face and said "MEEEEOWW"! She was never treated well in that class again by her peers. I now equate the name with something very ugly.

Le Pew
 Dragracer428
Msg: 45
SAY MY NAME B!TCH
Posted: 6/21/2016 3:32:55 PM
My brothers name is Johan, on PEI in the mid 60's when we started school in a very scottish community that was too much of a mouthful. So somehow he got called Yogi, I assume after the bear in the cartoon. 52 years later that is what everybody but my parents call him, got shortened to Yog somewhere in those years.

But when I started school a year later, yep they tried to nickname me Bobo, even at 5 years old I wasn't having anything to do with that and it did not stick. THANKFULLY!!!!! LOL
 gtomustang
Msg: 46
remember my name, you'll be telling your friends it later
Posted: 6/21/2016 7:43:38 PM
Used to work with a fellow who took his wife to Ireland, and joined the Mile High Club over Shannon Airport. and guess what of course happened nine months later. And according to him, that's why the youngest child is named Shannon. back in high school, I had the nickname Fred (Don't ask) and my initials would have been F A G, so I changed the spelling to Phred. so much cooler.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > I'm not Lisa, my name is Julie.