Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do you hide your political affiliation on dates?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gtomustang
Msg: 251
view profile
History
Do you hide your political affiliation on dates?Page 11 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
if caring is for P's, then the president should grab some more. maybe it'll rub off.

considering what happened down south (pun not intended) this past weekend, I suspect it will get harder, er, more difficult to hide one's political affiliation. The lines are getting drawn, and to quote the book, the only things that might be found in the middle of the road are dead armadillos.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 252
view profile
History
Do you hide your political affiliation on dates?
Posted: 8/16/2017 12:10:35 AM
Since the election, I've seen many profiles of men that say they are not interested in meeting if you're not a democrat. Well.....I'm glad these men have identified themselves as not tolerating the views of others. But, I'm sure they preach tolerance, lol. That's where being a hypocrite comes into play.

I don't care what party anyone is with, but I don't like people who want to squash your view and that are childish and petty. I would not bring up politics, I have no reason to, but would discuss it with a date if asked. I have never been asked about party affiliation my entire life, nor have I ever asked anyone theirs.
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 253
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2017 4:18:07 PM

Since the election, I've seen many profiles of men that say they are not interested in meeting if you're not a democrat. Well.....I'm glad these men have identified themselves as not tolerating the views of others. But, I'm sure they preach tolerance, lol.

I see quite a few women's profiles here in SoCal (blue state) saying if you voted for Trump or support Trump, don't even bother to send a message since they aren't interested. Just as intolerant as those guys.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 254
Posted: 8/16/2017 4:28:44 PM
Geez, it's one thing to be Republican , but a Trump supporter ?????

Talk about the dealbreaker of ALL dealbreakers !
 gtomustang
Msg: 255
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2017 6:03:34 PM
I do feel bad for the moderates, and old school conservatives. I can understand someone voting for the party rather than the candidate, and there wasn't an alternative they could swallow, but i'm sure they didn't plan on going this far down the rabbit hole. Old school Reagan republicans, tho, probably couldn't even see like someone like Ronald Reagan getting elected in this atmosphere.
 JS3344
Msg: 256
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2017 8:48:28 PM

I see quite a few women's profiles here in SoCal (blue state) saying if you voted for Trump or support Trump, don't even bother to send a message since they aren't interested. Just as intolerant as those guys.
- after the election, when women were up in arms and started marching, I thought holy shit, just one more thing to divide us, and i was right, as it is stated on many profiles, where as before it wasn't as much of a showstopper..........yay.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 257
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2017 2:38:40 PM

Since the election, I've seen many profiles of men that say they are not interested in meeting if you're not a democrat. Well.....I'm glad these men have identified themselves as not tolerating the views of others.

Theoretically they could be tolerant of others. It depends on how it's phrased. Saying Democrat as a Whole -- that indicates a decent liklihood they're not very tolerant. If they said "Not interested if you're too far left, as I'm Republican". That wouldn't imply intolerance of people at all -- just matchability in dating people.

I don't care what party anyone is with, but I don't like people who want to squash your view and that are childish and petty.

Again, I think it's how it's phrased that would indicate "squashing". However, many, when posting it up on the profile, will phrase it in a "pshaw" way to what they're not compatible with, indicating that it's more than just incompatibility. I have no problem with a gal, in her list of "Don'ts" in prospective writers, not guys who are far-right / far-left, or current-president-supporter (which means more than merely voted for).

I have never been asked about party affiliation my entire life, nor have I ever asked anyone theirs.

I think to come Right Out and ask is weird, yeah. But in bantering about likes / dislikes / compatibilities / etc -- asking where they generally stand on the political spectrum is a good one to ask and answer, for both people. I've seen some of the things you said in reference to political stuff -- and if I were on, say, 3rd date with a gal who said the same verbatim, I'd be like "Ohhh, dammit. I wasted my time for relationship-potential. Well, I guess I'll just have to make the most of it on this here date, and see what action I can get out of it before I disappear."
 Inicia
Msg: 258
view profile
History
~
Posted: 8/19/2017 5:45:58 AM
While political affiliation is a personal choice, as a relationship moves towards intimacy partners, lets hope, will reveal things honestly about themselves. If you are dating someone for long term a need to hide your affiliation can indicate a few things, political views that will turn your partner away, or you are trying to have a relationship with a person you do not treat or feel is an equal. lets face it if a political view is that out of sync with your prospect: you might be harboring feelings that they are ignorant, stupid , uneducated etc; or may believe they will think that of you.
A friend of mine was going out with a very politically vociferous person, and believed "oh this is the one", but did not share their own views with that person to avoid arguments, and we all met up for drinks one night and the eye rolls when the person touted out their views were obvious. clearly there was no match, yet my friend nurtured it along until found someone more in sync. And conversely I had a five year relationship with someone who hid their true feelings of political and social climate and affiliations, claimed diversity and respect for women- boy was that confusing because the true feelings were very present in said persons actions. I always willingly share my views, yet when i was, just hooking up, in my younger years, it was just going to be what it was so no desire for intimacy, just an exchange bodily fluids. lol
 south_city
Msg: 259
view profile
History
~
Posted: 8/19/2017 8:04:35 AM

Since the election, I've seen many profiles of men that say they are not interested in meeting if you're not a democrat. Well.....I'm glad these men have identified themselves as not tolerating the views of others. But, I'm sure they preach tolerance, lol. That's where being a hypocrite comes into play.

Not necessarily intolerant. They might feel that they aren't compatible with someone that has much different political viewpoints. I have seen profiles of people that declare themselves to be independent or moderate Republicans and are not interested in Trump supporters. I recently read an article of a woman that divorced her ex-husband because she is a Trump supporter and he is a Democrat.

http://people.com/politics/florida-woman-divorced-husband-over-trump-support/
 cooldog65
Msg: 260
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2017 11:08:37 AM

Nothing to hide since I don't talk about politics on dates. A quick way to kill a potential boner...
 NewYorker58
Msg: 261
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2017 12:30:29 PM
These people are intolerant, but that is their personal choice that they are entitled to make if it is an issue for them. Some profiles will state simply that they lean towards being liberal, while other men will say if you are a republican I am not interested in you.

Cooldog, talking politics would kill my lady boner☺
 south_city
Msg: 262
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2017 7:27:54 AM
A Jewish person that wants to date other Jews isn't necessarily intolerant towards Christians and Muslims. That person may simply feel (s)he is more compatible with someone with the same religious beliefs. Same thing can apply with politics. Intolerance would be rude behavior towards someone because of their political and religious beliefs.
 Walts
Msg: 263
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2017 8:03:51 AM

These people are intolerant, but that is their personal choice that they are entitled to make if it is an issue for them. Some profiles will state simply that they lean towards being liberal, while other men will say if you are a republican I am not interested in you.

Are they or are you just assuming????

Are they not just stating a preference?

Just like the people that state their preferences on height, weight and even race ?????
 cooldog65
Msg: 264
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2017 8:26:39 AM

Cooldog, talking politics would kill my lady boner☺

You having a penis is way more information than I care to know...
 NewYorker58
Msg: 265
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2017 3:47:16 PM
Penis? That's Mustang Sally🏇🏇🏇🏇🐎😂
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 266
view profile
History
Posted: 8/21/2017 11:44:46 AM

A Jewish person that wants to date other Jews isn't necessarily intolerant towards Christians and Muslims. That person may simply feel (s)he is more compatible with someone with the same religious beliefs. Same thing can apply with politics. Intolerance would be rude behavior towards someone because of their political and religious beliefs.

Yeah, I agree -- much like people who are on, like, let's say the Catholic Singles website. Just the thought of "Hey, at least I'm upping my chances of having something important in my life on the same wavelength." If one's husband/wife hunting because their biological clock's ticking and the like, I can understand they're going to go that road after having their fun in college, on the rebound, etc etc. Some people don't want to go thru hoops of drama having conflicting religions for a wedding ceremony and all that, notably when younger and having strong family ties to a differing church.

That said, when closing in on 40 or being older, and not in making-a-family mode -- I don't think one should rule Out one as a Relationship prospect IF they get along great but regularly go to different churches. IMO, one's limiting themselves much like viewing a Match profile where their compatibilities are super stringent (32 year old 5'4" cute but not Hot gal who's a teacher wants a 32-36 year old guy in Athletic shape, making $100k+, and is 5'11"-6'3").
 Inicia
Msg: 267
view profile
History
Posted: 8/21/2017 3:42:03 PM
Some profiles you just let go. lol for me a big turn off is an older man who specifies dating ranges 20 to 30 yrs younger than self, yet upper limits, same age or a 1 year difference to their age. It is just a wow to me.!! I would respond if they messaged me but would never reach out make first contact, and would be a bit wary of a long term intimate partnership. Just sayin../
 Inicia
Msg: 268
view profile
History
Posted: 8/22/2017 9:39:55 AM
I updated as not a choice in free membership to present political affiliation in profile introduction, and defined to the best of my ability my political affiliation.
 jco415
Msg: 269
view profile
History
Posted: 8/22/2017 5:33:10 PM
Why hide anything about yourself at all unless you're just trying to get laid? Otherwise wouldn't you rather find someone who like who you ARE instead of who you pretend to be?
 Darwin1971
Msg: 270
view profile
History
Posted: 8/22/2017 8:09:21 PM
god is dating still a thing?

A dance of trying to appear normal only to find the next day you wake to find another freak in your bed!

Skip the shit and just enjoy your life. Maybe I just have life by the balls. A DATE? PLEASE !!!!
 ohenryx
Msg: 271
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2017 8:46:56 AM

A dance of trying to appear normal only to find the next day you wake to find another freak in your bed!

As we used to say, back in the day, “Let your freak flag fly!”

I am a liberal (on most things). And I have dated Republicans, and even fairly conservative Republicans, from time to time. Usually not a problem. Just as I can date women who go to church every Sunday, something I never do. We just agree to disagree about certain things, no problem.

But a woman who actually supports Trump? I don’t mean one who voted for him because she really disliked the alternative, or just because she always votes Republican. I mean a woman who now, after all that has gone down, still actively supports Trump and makes excuses for him and his behavior? No, thank you.

Well, maybe, if she were really gorgeous and agreed to NEVER talk politics. But it wouldn’t be easy. The most beautiful woman in the world, if she started talking like Trump, I don’t think I could maintain an erection. Not even with chemical help, just wouldn’t work. Now when I was 18 years old …. (smile)
 Inicia
Msg: 272
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2017 9:13:19 AM

Why hide anything about yourself at all unless you're just trying to get laid? Otherwise wouldn't you rather find someone who like who you ARE instead of who you pretend to be?

yep... being with someone who dislikes you is not better than solidarity, especially when they claim love and actions represent disdain, very lonely relationship.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 273
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2017 11:42:08 AM

Why hide anything about yourself at all unless you're just trying to get laid?

For several good strategic reasons, actually... that most people (guys and gals) do by default naturally, to some degree. It's for the same reason people put up glorified profiles... they certainly aren't going to say "I'm allergic to standard condoms" , who they voted for in a super-testy election, or how much their mind's on their ex. Something OF some potential -- whether it's just getting laid or finding a real relationship prospect -- can be ruined by throwing all the cards out there. And for those who Do want it known, a lot of the time it's not a POV or issue so one-sided (but Can come off that way), so you weave it into conversation after becoming comfortable, when the time's right.

And for many folks, they could want to just get laid OR more -- it depends on their date. Throwing too much out there at the wrong time or speed could ruin both options for you. If said date otherwise seems cool & is attractive, despite a solid disconnect on ideals or something about yourself that'd turn them off -- for many, they at least want to ride it out to make the most out of it.

But if one's on the "Find a Wife or Bust!" train, and doesn't want to enjoy the dating scene in the different opportune directions it may give -- yeah, I can understand not being so crafty. But even still, you explain & time things in the best way, which usually doesn't mean throwing the cards out on the table, to make the most out of true potentials.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 274
Posted: 8/23/2017 1:53:33 PM

I am a liberal (on most things). And I have dated Republicans, and even fairly conservative Republicans, from time to time. Usually not a problem. Just as I can date women who go to church every Sunday, something I never do. We just agree to disagree about certain things, no problem.

But a woman who actually supports Trump? I don’t mean one who voted for him because she really disliked the alternative, or just because she always votes Republican. I mean a woman who now, after all that has gone down, still actively supports Trump and makes excuses for him and his behavior? No, thank you.

Well, maybe, if she were really gorgeous and agreed to NEVER talk politics. But it wouldn’t be easy. The most beautiful woman in the world, if she started talking like Trump, I don’t think I could maintain an erection. Not even with chemical help, just wouldn’t work. Now when I was 18 years old …. (smile)

I agree with this. (Except I date men)
Politics never used to come up. There are a few issues I'm adamant about, and if you're not in agreement, we probably
wouldn't be great friends.

But a Trumplestilskin supporter? Nobody is THAT could looking.
 south_city
Msg: 275
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2017 1:54:09 PM

That said, when closing in on 40 or being older, and not in making-a-family mode -- I don't think one should rule Out one as a Relationship prospect IF they get along great but regularly go to different churches. IMO, one's limiting themselves much like viewing a Match profile where their compatibilities are super stringent (32 year old 5'4" cute but not Hot gal who's a teacher wants a 32-36 year old guy in Athletic shape, making $100k+, and is 5'11"-6'3").

I don't necessarily disagree. But that is probably more about a woman being extremely picky than intolerant.

It might depend on what you are hiding. For example, if a man over 30 never had a serious relationship, I could see him making a white lie about his past relationship experience because some women will make assumptions about him based on that. There have been threads on POF about this topic.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do you hide your political affiliation on dates?