Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do you hide your political affiliation on dates?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 9Pluto
Msg: 301
view profile
History
Do you hide your political affiliation on dates?Page 13 of 16    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)

The snow is beautiful under a full moon.
Happy New Year Everyone

Blue moon,
warm me embers,
shiver me soul.

Shake up ye timbers;
Silver me gold.

Blue month,
eclipse me once;
Climax ye whole.

Copper ye navel,
Umbra me cold.

cooldog65
Msg: 302
view profile
History
Do you hide your political affiliation on dates?
Posted: 12/31/2017 8:22:29 PM
Shiver me timbers...
 CBGB77
Msg: 303
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2018 6:41:34 AM
Wha'choo talkin' 'bout, Willis?
 gtomustang
Msg: 304
Posted: 1/1/2018 6:54:27 AM
"Like how many people you slept with -- when asked dead-on, why is it OK to lie in many circumstances?"

>>>It may depend whether you ask, "slept with" versus "had sex with". Some guys, if you ask how many people they had sex with, they'll even count the people they almost got lucky with. A higher number is a compliment for them. Women may want to lower their number, thinking its not a compliment. Some women only count the sexual partners they "made love to", not some drunken BJ they did on Spring Break once. In other words, there are boyfriends, and then there are hookups. And if you ask people who cheat, they will claim a BJ isn't sex. So, if people define sex differently, are they intentionally lying?

"the snow is beautiful under a full moon"

>>there's snow where you are in FL? Boy, Amazon really will sell and ship everything :)
 cooldog65
Msg: 305
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2018 7:06:28 AM
^^^ She's actually in British Columbia, but I see some sparks between her and Pig...
 gtomustang
Msg: 306
Posted: 1/1/2018 3:37:55 PM
"she's from BC"

>>>that's what her profile used to say, check it out now :) Can't blame anyone for wanting to go down South, this winter's been unlike the last few winters. We're finally going back to freezing temps again, yay.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 307
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2018 3:44:36 PM
cynderella

also a supermoon in Cancer where it is strongest. A lunar eclipse and a blue moon at the end of the month.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 308
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2018 9:12:12 PM

It may depend whether you ask, "slept with" versus "had sex with". Some guys, if you ask how many people they had sex with, they'll even count the people they almost got lucky with.

... to make it easier to LIE. Pretending to oneself that "slept with" does not equal having sex with -- is lying to oneself. It means sex, plain and simple. It has nothing to do with sleep, but the term's phrased like that to avoid the powerful "s" word, and under the sort of old-fashioned assumption that you sleep over if you have sex. Not that it can't make you seem (or feel) more dirty if you Did count the # of times you got to 2nd base or more as "slept with", but it's that. And when asked that question dead-on by chicks, guys are going to lie Low (unless maybe they're close to being a virgin and not young at all) -- so the whole "slept with means not even sex" lie usually won't be applied by Him. Now, by the Asker -- looking for Dirt -- they may, yeah.

A higher number is a compliment for them.

An overal higher # in life is not a compliment for guys in general. The other way around, once past college age. It takes certain atmospheres/modes/moods in the room amongst guys where a really high # is a Positive. One thing I learned when my # went up, and I was in my later 20s -- not a good thing to "brag" about.

Women may want to lower their number, thinking its not a compliment.

I agree. I think with women it has a bigger social negative effect than with guys. Guys will raise it if it seems far too low, but besides that, guys are going to usually lower it if anything. Once over 30, and talking shop with fellow guys who aren't your best buds -- the common/popular thing is to say with a smile that you sowed your oats and had "a lot", but just leaving at that. Some modern gals are the same... but when you throw out a # -- that's when the Wincing begins with in front of proper people or the opp-sex.

Some women only count the sexual partners they "made love to", not some drunken BJ they did on Spring Break once. In other words, there are boyfriends, and then there are hookups. And if you ask people who cheat, they will claim a BJ isn't sex. So, if people define sex differently, are they intentionally lying?

That is FLAT OUT LYING. :) Many will lie to themselves. It's BS to buy any argument otherwise. When asked questions with some ambiguity, you are to clarify the question with them. If you don't and go by Your (wink wink) definition that gives you the lower # -- you're 100% LYING. :)
 YouRAWancar
Msg: 309
Posted: 1/2/2018 1:07:43 PM

Agreed! It would be like someone having a main profile photo that is at a minimum 18 years old. What sort of person would do something like that?

I would assume they would have to be a special kind of stupid. You know like the type of person who would post about people committing sexual crimes and then post that people need to slow their roll with regards to posting about sexual crimes.

Basically a hypocrite that is also a bit of a nutter.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 310
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2018 4:17:54 PM
“There's no reason for you to be dateless unless you choose to do so, or that you're so horrendous in personality that women don't want to be with you.”

Years ago, eHarmony had various warnings on their site about the type of people whose money they didn’t want because they considered those people to be “undateable.” They were mostly referring to people who shouldn’t be allowed to date because they were borderline serial killers, abusers, scammers, etc., but there was also a section on there that stated short men should expect to fail on the site, because by far-and-large women had little interest in them. Again, this was a profit-oriented dating site whose primary goal should have been as much revenue as possible, so I found it rather interesting they were willing to discourage people from participating they considered “undateable,” probably not entirely for altruistic reasons.

You’re probably right about the former: so far I have been unwilling to go deep in the ghetto and ask out a 300 pound high school dropout welfare mom with 7 kids and gold teeth or into the Bay area sticks and ask out a toothless homeless emaciated meth-addicted crackho, and if I did do those things, there’s the decent possibility I would not be dateless afterwards, so from that point-of-view, I suppose I have indeed CHOSEN to be dateless.

But if you think I’ve spent 11 consecutive years rejecting average ordinary women of similar age while in pursuit of genius supermodels, then you are mistaken. If you think I’ve spent the past 11 years holed up in my room playing video games instead of living an adventurous life, socializing and meeting people, it should be obvious from my profile that you are mistaken. However, none of this is to suggest your latter option is necessarily incorrect. Most of the people who have met me from the POF message board claim my personality is not horrendous and most of my closest very longtime friends are female who claim my personality is not horrendous (and I doubt they’d put up with a horrendous-personality guy for decades), but personality judging is highly subjective and I’m sure I’ve met numerous women who believed my personality was horrendous. Or at least lame. Certainly, I’m not a “life of the party”-type, but most guys aren’t and yet few others have 11 year dateless streaks filled with 20,000+ rejections. (And many years of less lengthy dateless streaks prior to this one.)

I don’t know that I’ve always been “undateable” (after all, for a few years, I did have dates) but certainly I’ve always been in situations that greatly limited my dating options in comparisons to men of similar personality and accomplishments, and as I’ve aged, the options have greatly narrowed (as is the case with everyone with age, both because of what aging does to them and because a higher percentage of similarly aged people are no longer single), and I do fear that I have indeed become over the past 11 years “undateable.” At least in the eyes of the few remaining “average ordinary” women of similar age within my general geographic area.

I definitely agree with you on “By remaining dateless for so long, you may be losing touch with relating to women.” Obviously having female best friends will not allow that to occur to any significant extent, but there’s not much question I have become the complete opposite of relationship material. I’ve lived by myself for a good 20 years now – the longest I’ve spent consecutively under the same roof with a woman since I left home for college is 7 nights, and that was platonically – the longest romantically is 2 nights. I don’t have children or really spend any time with children so I can’t relate to that at all. I may be accomplished, I may be phenomenally fit, I may be well-traveled, but I have no adult relationship experience whatsoever and I cannot even begin to imagine at this point what my life would be like living with a woman or dealing with children, which the vast majority of women my age have.

Of course, none of that is in my profile or comes out of my lips when meeting a woman, but something tells me it’s there anyway, in between the lines. So at this point, it’s not merely being in the bottom 1% of men by height and a member of the most undesirable ethnicity in America (and especially the South) and having a dry, non-dynamic personality that doesn’t match my appearance at all, but my life is experience is something no women (besides my longtime best friends) can even fathom. Nearly all of the women who dated me in my 20s were teens and college-aged women who did so as an experiment, and I can promise you women in their 40s are done with experimenting. Would you not agree?

Yes, I’m sure 2018 will indeed be another dateless year. That is to be expected when you are undateable. Unfortunately, I have been unable to accept my fate, because apparently I was hardwired to seek the love and affection of women (the biggest cosmic joke nature played on me – I could have been a hermit or monk otherwise), so another 2000+ rejections is on the horizon. And so is rapidly deepening depression. And eventually, an unfulfilling and inglorious death.

Hope everyone had happy holidays!
 gtomustang
Msg: 311
Posted: 1/2/2018 5:43:26 PM
the only reason I can imagine a business turning away customers who won't succeed with their product, is the potential of bad word-of-mouth advertising from customers who did not succeed. The money spent on advertising might go to waste for an internet company, if a bunch of angry customers post for free how much the product sucks.

Its why I marvel a little bit at products designed to make one wealthy--I wouldn't want to sell it to looky-loos, if I thought it actually worked. I'd want to sell it to people willing to do the necessary work, put in the effort, and then go tell everyone my product is the reason they turned their life around. On the other hand, if one is selling snake oil...then every dollar is necessary before people catch on and its time to flee town to find the next batch of suckers.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 312
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2018 7:12:32 PM

so far I have been unwilling to go deep in the ghetto and ask out a 300 pound high school dropout welfare mom with 7 kids and gold teeth or into the Bay area sticks and ask out a toothless homeless emaciated meth-addicted crackho, and if I did do those things, there’s the decent possibility I would not be dateless afterwards

You still wouldn't be batting 1.000. Most everyone wouldn't. But yeah, "aiming low" will get you some dates. But the thing is, you shouldn't be batting .000 going for reasonably cute gals, either. However, you'll come close to it at 5'4" in your profile + no drinking, plus, as you have said prior, your race doesn't bring the best results in your area. That's why I said tweak the #s. Or shall I say, "cork the bat". :)

Most of the people who have met me from the POF message board claim my personality is not horrendous and most of my closest very longtime friends are female who claim my personality is not horrendous

Again, I could take your photos and make a profile and get conversation going with gals -- enough where, IRL, if you played your cards right wearing particular shoes to bring you up a little higher + drinking looks-like-a-drink, you'd Also fit in too. But I think long-time female (and/or male) friends would help shed light on the Why, at the end of the day.

Yes, I’m sure 2018 will indeed be another dateless year. That is to be expected when you are undateable.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. It would require changing your ways, which you don't want to do. You can bat .050, or you can bat .000. You're not in the mode to be able to do the former, because at this point "that's not me". You have to want to change your mindset -- even from a Genuine "sure, fine, humor me" POV.
 ohenryx
Msg: 313
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2018 8:13:07 PM
I’m going to agree with NorwegianGuy on this one. You could get a date in 2018. I tell you what – you come to Houston for a weekend, I’ll get you a date, with an attractive woman. Early 50’s, but very attractive. A 1000 times better than what you’re talking about in your post above.

Hell, if you can talk half as good as you write, I’ll take you to a Meetup event and you will come out of there with a half dozen phone numbers, easy. This ain’t that hard!!!

gtomustang
Its why I marvel a little bit at products designed to make one wealthy--I wouldn't want to sell it to looky-loos, if I thought it actually worked. I'd want to sell it to people willing to do the necessary work, put in the effort, and then go tell everyone my product is the reason they turned their life around. On the other hand, if one is selling snake oil...then every dollar is necessary before people catch on and its time to flee town to find the next batch of suckers.

Kinda brings to mind Trump University, doesn’t it?

Speaking of Trump, a little story, happened just today. At work we have a break room on every floor, and there is a TV hooked to DirecTV in every break room. In the last year or two, a war has broken out. Several conservative diehards keep changing the channel to Fox News. The great majority of the employees would favor ANYTHING else. CNN, MSNBC, financial news, a local channel, ESPN, whatever.

This morning I’m making a fresh pot of coffee, some character walks in and changes the channel to Fox. I consider walking over and kind of giving him the hip brush and changing the channel back, but I leave it alone.

Later, riding the elevator down to lunch, the same guy gets on, and a lovely young lass. He tries to strike up a conversation, ask her where she’s going for lunch. She points at her bag, says she brought her lunch, but she is going downstairs to eat because she can’t stand Fox News. Makes a further comment about some idiots on our floor keep putting on Fox News, and she hates it. I turn around and say, “You’re talking to the guy who changed the TV to the Trump channel this morning!”

She looked hard at me, looked hard at him, turned forward and said no more. The guy glared at me like he wanted to kill me. Sometimes it is really good to be very big and a weight lifter!
 Nyeahsers
Msg: 314
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2018 8:34:17 PM
Something does not add up with HawkingJr's story. The only thing I can think of is he is always traveling which would hinder, or at least seem to be a hindrance to a prospective woman.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 315
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2018 7:21:33 AM
"Something does not add up with HawkingJr's story. The only thing I can think of is he is always traveling which would hinder, or at least seem to be a hindrance to a prospective woman."

I'm not "always traveling" though I can see why someone might think that from my profile. Coincidentally, I made one of those Facebook collages on New Year's Eve that were the "best of" pictures from 2017, and after I finished, I understood why so many of my friends that haven't talked to me in a while greet me with "Wow, looks like you've got an exciting life!" Because if I saw some guy with a collage like mine, I, too, would immediately think he was "Stud of the Year." But it's all smoke and mirrors. I took 3 trips in 2017 that totaled slightly less than 2 weeks. But during those 3 trips, I visited 19 states plus 2 Canadian provinces and experienced the country's first total solar eclipse in decades -- obviously all this being accomplished in 2 weeks means I did not stay in any place for very long, but plenty long enough to take enough pictures to make it look like I could have. (It should also be noted that I was by myself for all of that trip time except for about 2 days.) I also run a film festival and produce movies in my spare time, so every few weeks I have to go to a competing film festival or attend some other filmmaking event. So my FB profile is weighted down heavily with "glamourous life" pics.

But the reality of the matter is, all of the "glamourous life" and travel depicted in those pictures totaled about 3 weeks of 2017. The other 49 weeks... was maddeningly dull. And at home. (Well, in Tampa -- I try not to be in my actual home much.)

But this revelation circles us back to the point about whether or not it is helpful to lie in one's profile. Those pictures make my life look far more exciting and amazing than it actually is, and easily meets the minimum qualifications of many women on this site and OLD in general that a guy have a life and seem interesting instead of being a gamer or couch potato that never leaves the house.

And yet, STILL... I have not received an unsolicited message from a woman on this site in several years.

Which sorta proves that having a misleading profile is not necessarily helpful. Though I can tell you that outright lying sometimes does: whenever I would change my height to something like 6 foot for a week as an experiment, I got bombarded with interest. (For that matter, my current profile has been bombarded with interest ever since I cut my head off on the default pic -- as in I now get dozens of views a week vs. the zero or near zero I had been getting with a face pic -- but again, misleading will only get you so far, since none of these women have sent me messages.)
 YouRAWancar
Msg: 316
Posted: 1/3/2018 7:32:37 AM

She looked hard at me, looked hard at him, turned forward and said no more. The guy glared at me like he wanted to kill me. Sometimes it is really good to be very big and a weight lifter!

99% of the time this would mean nothing, but keep in mind you are dealing with people who are not smart enough to understand tRump is crazy and as such they will do crazy things themselves.

Like Milo's former intern who killed his father for what he called being a "leftist" back in October.

Or any one of the other many other attacks and killings by deranged tRump supporters.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which sorta proves that having a misleading profile is not necessarily helpful. Though I can tell you that outright lying sometimes does: whenever I would change my height to something like 6 foot for a week as an experiment, I got bombarded with interest.

That is probably why I see so many female profiles that state they are "single" when you know they are actually divorced.

In the end, people can fish with a net or a hook depending on what they want or how desperate they are.
 gtomustang
Msg: 317
Posted: 1/3/2018 7:46:29 AM
Henry, that was a good story, If the time you spent around those two was longer than an elevator ride, you could have perhaps found a way to goad the man into giving his opinion on her political opinion, and seen if he rose to the bait (ie, discredited Chump, in order to score) before outing him as both the culprit, and a bald-faced liar. But then, I find that people who support him, do so by sharing his traits. Maybe the TV twiddler could have bragged how bigger and more powerful his "elevator button" is.
 ohenryx
Msg: 318
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2018 10:41:06 AM

YouRAWancar
That is probably why I see so many female profiles that state they are "single" when you know they are actually divorced.

That exact point has been argued extensively here in these forums. Extensively and vigorously, I might add. It’s another one of those points that initially surprised me when it first came up. I had always thought of “being single” as a binary switch, you are either “single” or “taken”. I suppose the difference would matter if you are looking at 25 year olds, but I’m not, so of zero concern to me.

Well actually, a woman anywhere near my age who had NEVER been married would cause me to think twice. It would not automatically disqualify, but I would wonder about it. I have a male friend, we often hang out together at Meetup events, 62 years old and never married. Women definitely see that as a red flag.

But in the end, I do not see “single” as a lie or a deception.

On the political side story, I’ll just add this. I have many friends who are conservative and republican, and we can discuss and debate the issues without rancor or ill feelings. Even today, that is still true. They don’t discuss Trump, they (mostly) will not condemn him, but they will not publicly support him and his insane behavior. Those few who do are no longer considered friends. It’s like when one of your friends becomes a drunk, after the first few times you have to get him home and into bed, you just stop hanging out with him
 YouRAWancar
Msg: 319
Posted: 1/3/2018 11:55:22 AM

But in the end, I do not see “single” as a lie or a deception.

I would agree if you wrote in that box what you felt was correct (ie single, divorced, etc...)

But the fact that they must pick from a list, and if they do not select the correct one, then for me it is a red flag.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 320
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2018 12:09:58 PM

But this revelation circles us back to the point about whether or not it is helpful to lie in one's profile.

Emphasizing also that you're not always on the road or the air, and that you're in your town most of the time -- would help nix that.

Which sorta proves that having a misleading profile is not necessarily helpful.

Necessarily is the key.... of course, misleading is another key. You don't want to be noticeably misleading, but you do want to tweak the #s, so to speak when you're going .000 even 1/8th the time you have, over the years.

whenever I would change my height to something like 6 foot for a week as an experiment, I got bombarded with interest.

Yeah, that's the clue. Obviously no shoes or back-stretch exercises is going to make you come close enough to 6 foot where it's not going to be a problem. Your height is your big killer. The no-drink thing is a killer for those "on the border" of interest.

misleading will only get you so far, since none of these women have sent me messages

First, a Small % would send you messages, if they have some interest floating about. Even of ones who have strong interest, most aren't. But I'm sure you've retaliated to their Views, but yeah, no response back ... which isn't your face. Hell, some will click on it for curiosity alone because it's cut off at your neck -- so you can't run with "interest" for everyone for viewing. But many are going to have some lingering interest, which is all one can hope for online from a thumbnail, due to the body.

I've already said my routine about amping up your height in select-footwear & profile to still be short but not Real short -- and to put socially-drinking without drinking. And to also start a new profile -- and to lower your age a few notches. :) If anything, you'll get your boots on the ground to be in battle for once.
 gtomustang
Msg: 321
Posted: 1/3/2018 3:02:41 PM
"so many of my friends who haven't talked to me in a while, looked at my FB photos and exclaimed, "wow, looks like you have an exciting life!"

>>>out of curiousity, how many are women you'd be willing to date if they asked? I have a red leather jacket with padded elbows and shoulders, and when I wear it in the winter, guys come up and ask if its for motorcycles or snow mobiles. if I was picking up men, it would be the perfect "peac0ck" device that one wears to attract attention, say something about them, and give people who are interested in talking to that person wearing the device, the chance for an icebreaker (what's the diff between a weirdo who dresses eccentrically, and a PUA who dresses in something designed to attract attention, you ask? well, one of them, you want to have sex with).

how many women bothered to notice my jacket?

Exactly two. one was a lesbian who rides and thought I was a nice person, and the other was a random drunk girl shouting at everyone she saw as she stumbled down the street. she f'ing loved my jacket, so she shouted. But if I looked good, i'd get pig-level attention from the women. they'd touch the ribbed pads, etc. So, yeah, appearance matters. So, that takes us back to telling fibs online. it helps those who already get a woman's attention. Back when I lived in an apartment complex, a gay fellow interested in me, saw the Mustang GT I drove, looked inside when I wasn't around, and concocted some great background story of who I was and where I came from. I mentioned that to female friends, and they all said, "wow, some women do that same thing!" If someone's interested in you, you may not have to even embellish, they are ready to do it for you.

sometimes, fudging works in your favor...as long as the person was interested in you to begin with. If they aren't, they sure aren't going to even bother to read your profile and its fudging inside.
 winfieldbrian
Msg: 322
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2018 4:09:39 PM
Nope. I have it right there in my profile so that you won't waste my time or yours by contacting me knowing that we have different political views.
 StarliteKisses
Msg: 323
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2018 1:42:58 PM
I want to date someone who has the same interests as l do. I could never date someone who supports Trump, and l say so in my profile.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 324
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2018 1:53:52 PM
Saying you won't date someone who supports one side or the other means you are making politics a priority over your personal dating life. Enjoy!
 browneyesboo
Msg: 325
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2018 2:14:38 PM
It's not about politics.
It's about human rights, equality.
and the right to make personal choices.
It's about sociability acceptable behavior.
I would not get along with anyone that supports
Trump and what he's about.

Gads.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do you hide your political affiliation on dates?