Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do you hide your political affiliation on dates?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 I_Am_Con_S_Tip_ated
Msg: 351
view profile
History
Do you hide your political affiliation on dates?Page 15 of 16    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)
For me, I tried talking with a conservative chick over the phone. It just ended up with arguments.

I think even to have a successful date someone needs to be on the same page as you within reason, especially if you don't like talking about reality television or other mindless pastimes.

Any talk of current events usually boils down to ideologies being uncovered.

Me? I feel better about dating chicks with left of center views.
 MadameBoisseau
Msg: 352
Do you hide your political affiliation on dates?
Posted: 4/8/2018 2:43:56 PM
^^^I'm exactly the same.

I see politics as an extension of one's value system. If someone holds the position that the poor deserve their maltreatment - there is an EXTREME issue with lack of compassion and education there - and I am NOT going to have any respect for someone who lacks the most basic form of empathy.

I'm from Europe - I'm further left than any party America has, so I know I will be more left than anyone I date. But republicans & american libertarians are completely impossible for me. The vast majority of them in my experience are very racist, very classist, violent and fascist - Besides, if I wanted a nazi I could hook up with one of my Opa's fellow veterans and get a real one instead of a wanna be american one.
 Nyeahsers
Msg: 353
Posted: 4/8/2018 3:30:18 PM

I see politics as an extension of one's value system. If someone holds the position that the poor deserve their maltreatment - there is an EXTREME issue with lack of compassion and education there - and I am NOT going to have any respect for someone who lacks the most basic form of empathy.

I absolutely agree. I neither hide my affiliation nor advertise it. If it comes up in conversation, that is an opportunity to either create a better bond or save myself time and effort on someone.
 I_Am_Con_S_Tip_ated
Msg: 354
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2018 4:11:13 PM

I could hook up with one of my Opa's fellow veterans and get a real one instead of a wanna be american one.

Somehow, I don't see you as the "Oma" type.
 julystorm7
Msg: 355
Posted: 4/9/2018 12:56:23 AM
Canadians don't typically care what political affiliation a girlfriend or boyfriend is. There might me some eye-rolling but generally it stays friendly debate. But then again, there's not very many Canadians who have voted the same in every election.
 daynadaze
Msg: 356
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2018 10:51:05 AM
I don't think most people are rigid, it's just that so much racism and hate have clouded that last two presidents and that has made people look rigid. The firstl black president rattled the extreme racism in many, who then came out, whereas before they weren't so likely to be seen that way. Then for some horrifying reason Trump managed to slid into what was once seen as an important job, he proved that anything can buy there way in. Trump has been around a long time, everyone knows what he is, no one is fooled, but they are now seen in their true self, so things might look rigid, but really they are just much more exposed. Most people are much more centered, most aren't far right or left, most people vote for the person who seems to hold their core beliefs. I've voted for both republicans and democrats, but right now, for me, most republicans who continue to support such a disgusting person as Trump, are showing their true colors, it would take a hell of a change in the GOP to get my vote. Anyway, my rambling point is that this huge change going on with Trump in office, is ruining that party and making many people seem so very rigid, when many of them are really much more centered. Get rid of all this awful corruption, and you will see less people grabbing onto one side or the other. Personally if you are a Trump supporter, I want to know right away, I want no part of people like that.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 357
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2018 11:42:58 AM
I'm pretty rigid on a few things.
Political affiliation was never an issue for me, though.
But now, yeah....if you're a trumpstilskin supporter, we aren't
going to have much in common and we're going to argue a lot.

Ain't nobody got time for that.
 KPOL52
Msg: 358
Posted: 4/9/2018 3:40:23 PM
I was thoroughly shocked when TIP won. I really do think POTUS should be changed to TIP at least for now. The Idiot President.

Both sad AND troubling to me as that I have dropped some subtle hints here and there. Both of my sons as well as my sister voted for the clown. Most of the folks I work with voted for him. To a man and woman, they all feel he is doing a good if not great job.

On reflection, I think possibly what pushed it over was a ton of older white men. With attitudes along the lines of "it's bad enough to have a Black Man for president, but it will be over my dead body before any woman will run things. Wimens needs to stay in the kitchen and make babies".

Thankfully, many of those old geezers will be dead on the next go round in 2020

I will be surprised if TIP makes it 4 years. Has a president ever quit of his own accord?

How many females voted for him is really striking. I guess I just never realized how many women must live in caves or never read a paper, or watch tv.
 ChorusAurora
Msg: 359
Posted: 4/9/2018 4:01:05 PM
^^^Trying to stir the pot KPOL52?

How many females voted for him is really striking. I guess I just never realized how many women must live in caves or never read a paper, or watch tv.

My cave is quite cozy, Fur is a must on a bitter cold night. Tv watching only for Days of Our Lives.

;-)
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 360
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2018 4:13:48 PM
Stir, stir, stir.........well someone has to! Don't want the pudding to stick to the bottom of the pan!

How many females voted for him is really striking

5 of 6 females in my family did not vote for dachump, and the one who did ...............regrets doing so.

I have mentioned before, my family, BF and I do not talk politics. .............Lately BF won't even listen to the news on the radio.
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 361
Posted: 4/9/2018 5:00:35 PM
A few Trump voters chose Obama b/c of the Hope And Change promise. They have similar problems that affected the rural areas of the 1920's. Some of those problems don't change for economic reasons, and some have returned. They may decide in the next 4 years that a rich man typically isn't a populist. There are Republicans who just vote ABC, Anybody But Clinton. They may regret their choice, but still wouldn't want Clinton. There are Trump supporters who share his characteristics, and they will continue to love that about him. And then of course there are the xenophobes and isolationists and nationalists and racists.

"Has a president ever quit of his own accord?"

>>>Jeb Bartlett comes to mind :) and in this presidency, often.
 ohenryx
Msg: 362
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2018 5:53:28 PM

Has a president ever quit of his own accord?

No, but the old rules just don’t seem to apply in the age of Trump.

We can look at Sarah Palin. She quit in the middle of her term as governor of Alaska, for no particularly good reason. I can easily imagine Trump just up and quitting if it got to where he wasn’t enjoying all of the attention and criticism.

No, they don’t live in caves. Many, many, many people vote against their own self interest. I used to be surprised or amazed or something, but not anymore. I work with a lot of people who make a decent living (annual income between 50 and 100k, plus benefits), and many of them are in favor of tax cuts for the wealthy. Why? Makes no sense to me.

Some of it is due to “single issue voters”. People who are staunchly anti-abortion will vote for whatever candidate will promise to stop abortions. People who are real gun nuts will vote for whomever the NRA recommends, even though it hurts them in the pocketbook. And then you have, “My daddy was a Republican, and his daddy before him, and that’s just the way it is in our family.” And, of course, the evangelical Christians will vote for whomever their religious leader recommends. “Mulligans” and all.
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 363
Posted: 4/9/2018 7:18:32 PM
I think it was the West Wing TV show that suggested, the 99% support things that benefit the 1% thinking one day they will win the lottery and be the 1%. They're probably the same people who accept one marshmellow now and avoid waiting for two later. or someone else once said, people love the days of lords and knights b/c they think they would be one, rather than serf, which is more likely. when some people imagine being in another time, they are always the top dog, the victor, rather than imagine they could be worse off than they are now.

other people are more realistic about their position in life.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 364
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2018 10:31:11 PM
Okay, Mustang, so you're on a first date with the flat belly, big breasted, DDG woman of your dreams. She picked you up in her cherry 1970 Ford Mustang Boss 302. She takes you back to her place. As she lets you in, she gives you a sexy come hither look, grabs you by the hand and leads you to her bedroom. She pulls you into her and onto the bed. It's then that you notice a framed pic by her bedside of Trump, and in the corner it says, Sally, thanks for your hard work on my campaign, Donald. What do you do?
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 365
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2018 1:13:51 AM

cherry 1970 Ford Mustang Boss 302.

Not so fast there Newyorker. That's a trick question.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 366
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2018 1:55:01 AM

We can look at Sarah Palin. She quit in the middle of her term as governor of Alaska, for no particularly good reason.

Too many fights at her family gatherings could be a valid reason...

Many, many, many people vote against their own self interest. I used to be surprised or amazed or something, but not anymore. I work with a lot of people who make a decent living (annual income between 50 and 100k, plus benefits), and many of them are in favor of tax cuts for the wealthy. Why? Makes no sense to me.

Because they usually include (like this last one) helping out most who are making over $50k a year, even if by a small amount. Of course, in California & NY, I don't know how much it helped them since they nixed the federal tax-break on what you paid in state taxes, and those state taxes are High (hence some Repubs in both states saying No to it).

In the end though, like a wealthy Dem who's willing to take a tax increase, a Repub where the tax slashing doesn't really help they themselves much at all (or at all) -- they believe their party's leaders when they say doing so will boost the economy more than the lack of direct revenue the govt gets. They think it's best for the country out of principal, regardless.

Aside from that, I agree with you. Some people are dead-set on a 1 or 2 item agenda... and don't care about anything else, even if it's against their own interests (and most of the time not really realize it much).

Okay, Mustang, so you're on a first date with the flat belly, big breasted, DDG woman of your dreams.

Oooooooh...

She picked you up in her cherry 1970 Ford Mustang Boss 302.

I have a feeling this car's a beater -- but I'll pretend it only has 5,000 miles on it. ;)

She takes you back to her place. As she lets you in, she gives you a sexy come hither look, grabs you by the hand and leads you to her bedroom. She pulls you into her and onto the bed.

Wow, aggressive gal! She puts me In her -- then takes me onto the bed. I like her style!

It's then that you notice a framed pic by her bedside of Trump, and in the corner it says, Sally, thanks for your hard work on my campaign, Donald. What do you do?

Anger sex, with a big grin! Rapid pace! "You'll shoot her eye out, kid!" ;)
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 367
Posted: 4/10/2018 7:20:51 AM
"We can look at Sarah Palin. She quit in the middle of her term as governor of Alaska, for no particularly good reason.
Too many fights at her family gatherings could be a valid reason..."

>>>or she thought Alaska governor was good for the time being, but it was time to step up. Not that i'm defending her, b/c NG's opinion could be just as right. Too many skeletons in the closet, time to carpetbag.

A 1970 Boss 302 was better than the 1969 as far as valve size, and as far as the photo, I wouldn't mind giving her some hard work of my own :) But dating and/or marrying her? If she's still a Trump Kool Aid drinker, won't both of us get sick of the other? I can understand Republicans who vote ABC, b/c HRC wasn't the best choice the Dems could have put forward--she was a middle finger to the other side, considering all her baggage. Its argued some women voted for Trump b/c they ID'd with Ivanka Trump more than with HRC. Some may have thought Comey's last minute announcement made her look shady (can't imagine what the FBI going after personal lawyer Cohen has them thinking now).
 NewYorker58
Msg: 368
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2018 1:47:28 PM
Mustang, I think it's a shame for politics to keep a relationship from beginning, but if someone is passionate about politics and who people vote for, yeah, it's a dealbreaker. I don't care who someone votes for. If it was a daily topic of conversation, probably going to be a contentious relationship.

At least women didn't vote for Trump based on looks, where people are now wishing women didn't vote for Trudeau, because attractiveness and good hair.

NG, you think I'd hook Mustang up with a gal that had a beater car☺ By saying "cherry", it was denoting the car's condition. I left the color up to his imagination🚘
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 369
Posted: 4/10/2018 3:34:20 PM
it isn't the politics or the voting record that can be the problem, it can be the issues one votes on when voting for a candidate. I'm reading one of Robert Reich's old books, about how America historically let government handle social issues but business was free to pursue profit, while other nations moving from feudalism to industrial revolution, still believed the "lord of the manor" was responsible for the quality of life of his serfs, as well as the local economy as they worked his land.
 lookingforsophia
Msg: 371
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2018 10:35:29 AM
Has anyone else noticed that even Politicians seem hesitant to list their Party affiliation
on Yard Signs and outdoor billboards ?
 forumfairy
Msg: 372
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2018 11:31:15 AM
I don't advertise it but I do find there seems to be a lot of people who are ignorant about politics. They repeat stuff they read on a facebook post and think it's gospel. When I hear someone do that I will tell them the facts. I was on a date last weekend and the lady was going on about who she was going to vote for in the upcoming election here in Ontario. I asked her what she liked about this parties platform, she couldn't tell me. Anybody who follows politics here, knows there is a party who is leading in the polls and hasn't even released a platform yet,if ever. That's like buying a car without looking at it. Stuuuupid!
 from site to sight
Msg: 373
Posted: 4/20/2018 12:57:56 PM

I was on a date last weekend and the lady was going on about who she was going to vote for in the upcoming election here in Ontario. I asked her what she liked about this parties platform, she couldn't tell me.

It's the practice of just voting for the party that their parents and previous generations in their family have always voted for, regardless of what the platform is. This is as common as people following a specific denomination of religion because their family have always followed it, and nobody wants to be the first one to do things differently.
 ChorusAurora
Msg: 374
Posted: 4/20/2018 1:15:38 PM
forumfairy wrote:
Anybody who follows politics here, knows there is a party who is leading in the polls and hasn't even released a platform yet,if ever. That's like buying a car without looking at it. Stuuuupid!

The first thing I ask about a car is 'what color is it?'
But that's just me...
;-)
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 375
Posted: 4/20/2018 4:31:13 PM
"Has anyone else noticed that even Politicians seem hesitant to list their Party affiliation on Yard Signs and outdoor billboards ?"

>>>interesting point, I thought they were just trying to sell their brand. But if a politician is a moderate, I can see why they want to avoid the stereotypes of their party.

"there seems to be a lot of people who are ignorant about politics"

>>>considering the mud thrown, I can understand...but still, politics influence our lives and we tend to be passionate about issues anyway, so hopefully we can slog thru.

"there's a party leading in the polls which hasn't released a platform yet"

>>>well, if they are leading, they almost don't have to yet. when you're winning, you can only lose. I can understand people wanting to hear they have more to offer besides, "we aren't that guy", but chances are they're going to spend their time overturning what was overturned.

As for "new" cars, i'm having to look and saw a turbo Hyundai velositer type R, tho I really should get a truck. We'll see if its still there by Monday, but my first question on a car is...is it stick shift?
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do you hide your political affiliation on dates?