Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do you hide your political affiliation on dates?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 from site to sight
Msg: 373
Do you hide your political affiliation on dates?Page 16 of 16    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)

I was on a date last weekend and the lady was going on about who she was going to vote for in the upcoming election here in Ontario. I asked her what she liked about this parties platform, she couldn't tell me.

It's the practice of just voting for the party that their parents and previous generations in their family have always voted for, regardless of what the platform is. This is as common as people following a specific denomination of religion because their family have always followed it, and nobody wants to be the first one to do things differently.
 ChorusAurora
Msg: 374
Do you hide your political affiliation on dates?
Posted: 4/20/2018 1:15:38 PM
forumfairy wrote:
Anybody who follows politics here, knows there is a party who is leading in the polls and hasn't even released a platform yet,if ever. That's like buying a car without looking at it. Stuuuupid!

The first thing I ask about a car is 'what color is it?'
But that's just me...
;-)
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 375
Posted: 4/20/2018 4:31:13 PM
"Has anyone else noticed that even Politicians seem hesitant to list their Party affiliation on Yard Signs and outdoor billboards ?"

>>>interesting point, I thought they were just trying to sell their brand. But if a politician is a moderate, I can see why they want to avoid the stereotypes of their party.

"there seems to be a lot of people who are ignorant about politics"

>>>considering the mud thrown, I can understand...but still, politics influence our lives and we tend to be passionate about issues anyway, so hopefully we can slog thru.

"there's a party leading in the polls which hasn't released a platform yet"

>>>well, if they are leading, they almost don't have to yet. when you're winning, you can only lose. I can understand people wanting to hear they have more to offer besides, "we aren't that guy", but chances are they're going to spend their time overturning what was overturned.

As for "new" cars, i'm having to look and saw a turbo Hyundai velositer type R, tho I really should get a truck. We'll see if its still there by Monday, but my first question on a car is...is it stick shift?
 NewYorker58
Msg: 376
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2018 8:21:32 PM
^^^^did you look at consumer reports on that vehicle? Car and Driver isn't giving it a high rating. For a small engine, I'd go with a Honda Civic. They do have the high resale, maybe selling for $1,000 for every 10,000 good miles left. I'd do that carfax and there's another one, but a vehicle may still have unreported accidents.

If you need to haul things, trucks sure do come in handy.

https://www.caranddriver.com/hyundai/veloster
 forumfairy
Msg: 377
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2018 4:32:11 AM

well, if they are leading, they almost don't have to yet. when you're winning, you can only lose. I can understand people wanting to hear they have more to offer besides, "we aren't that guy", but chances are they're going to spend their time overturning what was overturned.

I understand this, but Ontario is historically more center on the political spectrum. This guy is far right who most compare to Trump. Actually, this guy is Toronto's famous Mayor Rob Fords brother. This election is more of a change election because people hate the party in power. I would think most educated people would like to know what they might be getting themselves into. Like we both know, there are a large number of people who are just ignorant about the facts. I have family members who think Trump is grand. I tell them to move to the U.S.A.

As for "new" cars, i'm having to look and saw a turbo Hyundai velositer type R,

anything I have ever heard about these vehicles they look nice and sporty but are sluggish. A buddy was looking at one of these a few years back, so probably not that model, he ended up with a Dodge Dart, now, that is a nice car. Not a big fan of Dodge though. Let me know if you think it's sluggish if you get to drive it.
 julystorm7
Msg: 378
Posted: 4/21/2018 6:56:00 AM
People often vote against their own interests. I see it constantly.

As a Canadian I wish I could say I was free of the Trump-lickers but my own Dad and brother are Trump-lovets. Frustrates the hell out of me. And they used to be such reasonable people in debates. I used to love debating politics with them but every time we start talking Canadian politics they end up segwaying to American politics and it's very annoying.
 forumfairy
Msg: 379
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2018 8:57:50 AM

"People often vote against their own interests. I see it constantly.[\quote]
Absolutely, as a matter of fact there is a article in the Toronto Star today talking about that very thing. A single mother who is on welfare,is going to vote for Ford knowing full well he will probably cut social assistance. The other two parties are going to raise rates if they get elected. Someone apparently wrote a book as to why people do this. These people are so focused on sticking it to the "elites" that they don't care whether they harm themselves. Meanwhile, in this instance, Ford is one of the very "elites' he often criticizes.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 380
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2018 8:21:20 PM
Forumfairy, the non-turbo is very low hp. The turbo is about 200 hp. If you're just tooling around town, it's doable for the basic model. I would go for a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. Those engines are bullet proof. Putting 200,000 miles on them isn't a big deal.
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 381
Posted: 4/21/2018 8:40:44 PM
Thanks for the link on that vehicle. I am seduced by the gas mileage, I'm used to 15-20 mpg. and a six speed is neat, i'm used to three and 5 speeds. I've had a 4 cylinder turbo before, the problem is by the time you get boosted power, you've already past the position where you needed it. like if you want to pass someone on a hill, you downshift, stick your foot in it, and by the time you've reached the mirror on the side of their car, you finally have the pep you were looking for back at their rear bumper. I'll know from the test drive if I like it or not, assuming it hasn't sold already (today was the second spring day we've had, its been gloom, doom, and storm clouds and frost and sleet all month. I suspect some people went car shopping. saw a flock of bicyclists hogging up the intersections).

I get why people love Hondas, and its why their theft rate is high. I'm sure the newer ones have more low speed get up and go than the ones I knew back in the 1980s--they literally had less displacement than a 2 liter bottle of soda. Resale value is a good idea for those who trade in, but I tend to run 'em until they're dead. I think this car i'm looking at is $8K for only 91K on the odo b/c its not as fast as its competition, but I really need something that isn't fast--I don't have a lot of speeding tickets, but let's just say I like to do 20 mph over the posted limit (that's normal, right? Speed limits are set for the lowest common denominator--kids who are learning to drive and old foggies who can't respond in time), and when its 35mph i'm probably more like 60 mph plus. About 50% of my driving attention is spent looking for the radar traps.

The Dodge Darts look neat, they're built off a Fiat, but where I used to work, the owner's son had one and it was in and out of the garage for electrical issues, and he claims that's normal. Dodge can come up with interesting cars, but man their quality control has always been suspect, even before the Aspen/Volare days. I passed up a hemi pickup b/c I knew too many people having the same issues with transmissions, etc. Trucks are like Swiss Army pocket knives, you just don't know how often you need one, until you get one.

Subarus wouldn't be bad up here, with the all wheel drive. I see them for sale with 270,000 on the clock, they apparently last long if they don't lose the seal between the two sides of the block. but then i'd want the WRX and...back to the getting speeding tickets thingie again. And I kinda have other cars for that. that's why I never pick on women for having closets of shoes, I totally understand it.
 ohenryx
Msg: 382
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2018 1:10:05 PM

MachIMustangII
I've had a 4 cylinder turbo before, the problem is by the time you get boosted power, you've already past the position where you needed it.

That used to be the case, not so much with modern turbos. I had a 2008 VW Passat with the 2.0T (4 cylinder, 2.0 liter Turbo). That sucker was fast. And (almost) quick.

These days, they only sell the Passat with the detuned 1.8T engine, which is nice, but not the same animal. It does respond quicker, but the 2.0T engine was a lot faster once it did get wound up.

Now my new Ford pickup with the 2.7L V6 twin turbo engine – that thing is a true ass-kicker. It will run rings around most of the V8 equipped pickup trucks, and get much better gas mileage. I owned a 2013 Silverado with the 5.3 and a 2015 F150 with the 5.0. My new 2017 F150 with the 2.7L twin turbo is faster, quicker, and gets better gas mileage.

I’m not at all sure that I would want to own one with high mileage. I would expect the V8 to hold up better in the long run.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 383
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2018 6:02:49 PM
I would call your insurance company and check what it is for any car you want. They wanted more for an Accord (guess because of those thefts) than for my Mustang.

I had a Subaru Forester. I enjoyed it. It sat high for good trail clearance. It had good pick up. I let the ex keep that, I took the Honda. Shortly afterward, he did have a very big bill for the gasket issue. Because of AWD, I think you have to replace all the tires if they're all a certain degree of being worn if one gets wrecked.

Whatever you choose, I would pay but a few hundred over book. You don't want to buy privately? A lot of cars are fixed up and sold on Craig's list, while they're all listed as having an old lady as the owner, lol, or it's their sister's car☺ The advantage with an older car is being able to look at consumers report at the library, maybe online too, to check for engine issues, etc. I'd be looking under the hood for repainted fenders, etc.

Two year old cars that were leased and turned in could be attractive. They can have lower mileage because they pay for high mileage when turning them in. I take it you're not trading anything in.
 Dave of Indiana
Msg: 384
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2018 3:26:54 PM
I had a 1996 Toyota Avalon. Sold it in 2010 (175,000 miles/281,635km). Car had no rust and the engine didn't burn oil. I turned around and bought a 2010 Toyota Camry. Wonderful car.

My first car was a 1974 Vega. The body rusted out in 1.5 years. the engine burned almost as much oil as it did gasoline.

Second car was a 1977 Monte Carlo. Good engine but it rusted out as well.

Third car was a 1984 AMC Renault Alliance. Brakes could never hold an adjustment. AMC went out of business. Sold the car after 2 years

Finally started buying Toyota's and have ever since.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 385
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2018 4:23:43 PM
I'd watch out for buying a car from a rental company. I found out that they change the keycodes. If you loose yours, it's impossible for any lock shop or dealer to cut keys for your vehicle. Keys are cut from the vehicle id number. Those locks were changed when they went to the rental agency. When they sell them, the locks come out of the box they were put in. If the rental agency bought 500 cars the same make and model, they just reach in, pull a lock out, and stuff it in a car. The chipped key gets programmed to that particular car, and off it goes. You loose your keys, you get stuck with buying a new lockset from the dealer. Those are waaay more than just a key.

Toyota is ESPECIALLY good at that. Along with a new lockset, YOU get to buy a new computer box-at least a $1500 proposition. Oh, and- It's seven years old? Wave bye bye to that car. It gets SCRAPPED. No Computers are available for that old clunker. ( as they see it)
 Dave of Indiana
Msg: 386
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2018 6:30:50 PM
Found several places on the internet that sell auto computers. Most seem to be rebuilt with one year warranty and coust around $250US.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 387
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2018 6:50:33 PM
I would only buy a used car privately, and not from a guy saying they're selling it for their old mother or sister. When I sold my Accord on Craig's list, I saw a lot of that. Another thing is professionals at selling could turn the odometer back, or car stealerships even pull it on cars they let their sales people drive.
 Inicia
Msg: 388
Posted: 5/14/2018 6:58:20 PM
if buying used from dealers lot certified only-customer be-wary
 NewYorker58
Msg: 389
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2018 7:07:33 PM
I don't think that certified thing means anything.

Buying a previously leased car may be okay, because the people that leased it may be afraid to beat up on it, since they have to turn it in. If it's the stealership's company cars, beware.
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 390
Posted: 5/15/2018 4:43:25 AM
Henry's right about modern turbos, mine was a 1986 model when they were designed for higher RPM use.

Purple, that's interesting about rental cars. I learn new things every day here :)

Is "Certified" a designation that is legally defined, or is every dealer able to decide what they certify and what they do not bother to certify?
 2ufo
Msg: 391
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2018 8:52:38 AM
Read the small print.
Buy fairly new (2-4 years).
Pay cash.
Keep it until it's got 100,000+ miles.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 392
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2018 12:05:06 PM
"Certified" is just a marketing term, but they may offer offer a warranty with it that will make you pay much more for the vehicle, but it's no guarantee it's mechanically sound. Stealerships have their own repair shops many times, so they're adept at making cars seem reliable and that they weren't previously highly damaged. That's why I'd rather by privately if I went with used, because you'd be paying the markup for profit, ontop of paying for the extra warranty.
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 393
Posted: 5/15/2018 2:50:01 PM
"pay cash"

>>>the time you pay for an expensive repair and even begin to wonder how long the car's going to last...start socking money away for the next one. The only time I didn't pay cash was when I wanted a $2,500 truck and the bank told me they didn't loan for less than $3,000 b/c the insurance wouldn't pay the total cost of the car if it was totaled. I stuck it on my credit card, and kept flipping to "no interest for three months" while throwing a few hundred at a time. otherwise cash is king, but I may disagree with the 100,000 mile limit. That used to be true, but I've pushed every car to 200,000. But I also do my own maintenance.

I figured "certified" was more nebulous than "organic". I got mine "As is". just like I offer myself :)
 2ufo
Msg: 394
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2018 11:24:10 AM
Yeah - I bought a car with a credit card once - paid it off the next week and got beaucoup points to turn into cash.
I planned it that way but recently (when I went it to buy my 'new' car) I was told I couldn't buy it with a credit card. *sigh*
No points.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do you hide your political affiliation on dates?