Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do you hide your political affiliation on dates?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Do you hide your political affiliation on dates?Page 3 of 16    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)
Good to see you, moraima.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 52
Do you hide your political affiliation on dates?
Posted: 4/9/2016 9:13:18 PM
I do laugh at folks that are receiving medicare and stating they don't want the government in their health care.

WTF?!
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2016 6:44:36 PM
Or the people who say that we should abolish Social Security, while collecting their own.
 excusezmoi
Msg: 54
Posted: 4/22/2016 8:25:06 PM
I don't hide anything political or religious that might come up in conversation. I possess firm views, and am happy to discuss things in a civilised manner, even if we have different viewpoints.

However, if my counterpart cannot be civilised or accepting of alternative viewpoints, or if their beliefs are totally unacceptable in my eyes, then it's time to part company.

I could probably live with someone who doesn't believe in God, but cannot share airspace with someone who tortures animals, or abuses children.

The point of going on dates, I think, is to meet potential partners. If anything meaningful has any hope of ever transpiring, you need to present yourself as who you are - good and bad and neutral.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 55
Posted: 4/29/2016 8:50:48 PM
Nope. It's stuff I want out there *before* I even accept a first meet. In my twenties I met, and married, an Eisenhower Republican. I made that okay with myself by saying "He's a good man. He wouldn't hurt anyone." Which was true if it meant personally picking up an ax and using it on another. But he had no problem voting for people who were willing to take things away from the poor, etc. In the spring of 1968 we were watching the DC MLK riots on TV, and a guy was running away with a TV in his arms, and my beloved, red with outrage, screaming: SHOOT HIM!!!! What do you value? Property, or human lives? Of course it matters. And, in fact, matters every day in very many ways.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2016 9:22:58 PM
sactownromantic

wow!! Women go door to door canvassing for converts? I am sure it does not happen here in Australia. I have only ever seen men. At 5.50 am is a bit much and I cant imagine a woman doing it all without a partner with her. Dangerous!!!.
 hemingway234
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2016 2:38:22 PM
You would be better off staying away from heavy subjects like sex and politics on early dates. It's not romantic, so talk about something else.

After she is in love with you, then you can tell her you are a Trump supporter and watch her faint to the floor!
 professora
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2016 7:53:02 PM
very interesting!

I did not know this....about republicans.

I vote for the candidate and not the party so it doesn't matter to me. Sometimes, I have hoped the other party would win even though I voted for-- lets say President Washington-- when I really wanted the other candidate. '

One of the doc's I worked with always voted Dem b/c according to him, people who get free things are more likely to spend and he thinks this is good for the economy. Why work, he said, when you can get free stuff and spend money at the rich (owner) guys gas station!

Makes sense----only in the land of the Free.
 oj126
Msg: 59
Posted: 5/3/2016 6:23:33 AM
A person's zip code is most revealing. Check the demographics. Some folks will sing a very dismal mantra of dieversity , White geNOcide and invasion. However the zip code indicates a very homogenous area. Nice , you like what we have acheived for you , but you shill for dieversity.
 UnKnownNYMale
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2016 1:21:58 PM

Personally, it's not a person's thoughts, beliefs, or whatever that causes me grief or conflict. It's usually how they came to the conclusion that who or what they chose is the best choice that kills it for me.

Bravo!!!! This is the best answer!!!!

If someone examines the subject....honestly....from all angles, and come to a conclusion that is opposite mine or not fully in agreement, I can respect their opinion.

If someone states an opinion, but has no 'facts' at all to back up their opinion, and, has absolutely no clue of the 'other side' of the argument or the "other side's" talking points, that person's opinion is of little value to me....in agreement, or not.

I'd estimate that 95% of the people I run across fit into the latter category.....and get their lopsided mis-information from Facebook memes.
 MisterV64
Msg: 61
Posted: 5/15/2016 4:09:52 PM
I never gave the subject much thought when I was younger, but after being in a good 15 year marriage ended only by my wife's passing, and observing societal evolution I make it a point to put it my profile. I have no party affiliation, but I believe that political correctness from liberal and progressive viewpoints are directly leading to the demise of this country. She'd have a right to that opinion, but I don't think we'd get along well at all.
 dreamon4u
Msg: 62
Posted: 5/15/2016 4:53:44 PM
^^^. I wish more people were as open in their pofile as you. I now know pretty much how you think, what you believe, the type of walls you have up and what kind of box you're in. I can easily avoid you from what I read in a half dozen sentences.

I like progressive. It's 2016 not 1955.
 MisterV64
Msg: 63
Posted: 5/16/2016 1:25:59 AM
^^^^. I'll take that as a compliment!
 c_deacon
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2016 11:23:01 AM
Politics and religion are two things I avoid when in social settings unless the meeting is for that purposely.

I strive to find those that believe in tolerance, and practice it. I am a fiscal conservative, and social liberal....so there is

truly not a political affiliation that is out there that fits all of me.....oh well!!

cd
 Abby156
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 5/21/2016 11:51:17 AM
I make it plain in my profile what I care about as far as the direction the country should go. Lol its probably why I don't get a lot of responses.
 LAEPF
Msg: 66
Posted: 5/23/2016 10:21:09 PM
@Becky- I agree with FullMoonGuy. First, I don't have 10 best friends. I have one best friend and probably 4 or 5 very close friends. ALL of these girlfriends of mine share exactly the same political views. But, as I mentioned in my previous post, if you are kind of extreme in your political views (and not mild or moderate) like I am, then it really does matter. And in a relationship? It is SO important. Unless, of course you are moderate or apathetic.

What if my SO didn't understand why I am boycotting Sea World? What if he wanted to go to a gun show? What if I was on Obama Care and he didn't find out until later? So many Republicans think ALL people who are poor are just lazy and they could get out of poverty if they really wanted to. Obviously, I would not be most conservative republican's cup of tea.

The OP has very strong political views, like I do. But I still think our profiles are not the place to air it. Or even on a first date. But when it comes to politics, I think, you might as well be talking about religion or sports for that matter. It speaks volumes as to who we are and what our core value system is. Opposites might attract in the lust phase, but in the long run it's a killer.

Leslie:)
 BeckyHT
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2016 9:24:06 AM
95% of the people I run across get their lopsided mis-information from a single lopsided network news or talk radio.

There is a skill that you learn growing up, and it is how to research, how to seek for answers. I really think only about 5-10% of people learn this skill. I’m not sure it’s related to inherited genetics or not, although I do think your parents can instill the skill into you. Lead by example.

LAEPF: I probably have 10 or so combined close relationships with family, SO, and friends. Most of my best/close friends I met through organizations which are 501(c)(3), and federal laws mandate that 501(c)3) can NOT have political connections. So I have plenty of outlets to be with people who have different political and religious opinions, but those subjects are spoke mildly about and it doesn’t become offensive.

I have a saying, when I ‘hit’ a hard object (politics or religion), I do as the farmer does when he’s plowing his field and runs into a tree stump. I plow around the stump. People are precious. If I have a ‘friend’ who is going into the ‘preach’ mode too strongly, I simply tell them, and tell them I like them too much as a person to lose their friendship, and ask that we talk about something else.
 bigshrek
Msg: 68
Posted: 5/24/2016 3:32:20 PM
For the most part, I agree with you both, and make it even more simple, if they don't support 2A, I walk.
Saves a lot of political discussion, as that & freedom are all I really care about,
as 2A protects 1A & the rest, and was put in place so that we could solve problems ourselves.
Although, if the Founding Fathers were alive today, I believe they'd have already started a new Civil War over just the tax issues.

However, if they don't go to church, and you do, take a walk.
It's not going to get any better.
Even worse, if you have kids with them,
they won't want you to take them to church...
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2016 7:08:39 PM
Being "polar opposites" is like pouring gasoline on a fire. No thanks. Neither of us deserve to get burned.
 arwen52
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2016 9:48:26 PM
I have it in my profile that I'm liberal and values are important to me. I would not knowingly date a Republican or a conservative. I've had a few guys chastise me about this, saying this wasn't very liberal of me, and I said okay, and gave them a chance. They got abusive very quickly. So, I'm sticking to my values.

Yes, I'm up front about it. It's important to me.
 WhereforeAndWhyNot
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Do you hide your scars, tattoos, sexual preference, and anything else that’s important?
Posted: 7/25/2016 2:20:05 AM

“But if there is something important then it should be asked before setting up a date.”

“It's stuff I want out there *before* I even accept a first meet.”

DAMN right. What is the point of pretending to be something you’re not? Trying to “trick” your way into a relationship? It will only screw things up royally, down the road.

I have several friends who have different political and social views than me, and we’ve learned to get along just fine… even if it means avoiding touchy topics altogether. It really comes down to whether your “views” are more important than your friends, non?

But someone I’m going to be close with… maybe have sex… maybe even LIVE with?? No freaking way would it work out to have anyone that’s a fanatic about almost anything, let alone politics or religion in my intimate zone. I like to be able to go to sleep without having an ulcer every night, thank you very much.

And lawdy… how about we please keep all of the fanatic political posts over in the OFF TOPIC forums with all of the other hotheads? Geez, it’s like a creeping disease….

:-/
 Like2dance
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Do you hide your scars, tattoos, sexual preference, and anything else that’s important?
Posted: 7/25/2016 11:52:58 AM
I state I want a woman with traditional values. Most get it. I can' t abide a liberal.
 ericaagain
Msg: 73
Posted: 7/25/2016 4:05:02 PM
^^^^ By "traditional values", what do you mean? Do you mean bought and paid for ? Or thinks you're a god? Or likes to be told what do do and think? Or kept barefoot and pregnant? Or just pervy by being being her father's age?

Liberal women can't abide by icky old men with conservative leanings. We like our dirty old men a little on the liberal side, more fun that way.
 Seki1949
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2016 7:45:46 PM
"By "traditional values", what do you mean? Do you mean bought and paid for ? Or thinks you're a god? Or likes to be told what do do and think? Or kept barefoot and pregnant? Or just pervy by being being her father's age?"

Thanks for your contribution to our conversation. Apparently a rant is all that you are capable of. We acknowledge your limitations.

Bestes!
 ericaagain
Msg: 75
Posted: 7/25/2016 7:53:13 PM
^^^^ I thought they were valid questions. I see that written at times in profiles, "seeking someone with traditional values" , what exactly does it mean? Perhaps you can tell me. And hardly a rant. And you're welcome.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do you hide your political affiliation on dates?