Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do you hide your political affiliation on dates?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 76
Do you hide your political affiliation on dates?Page 4 of 16    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)

even though I voted for-- lets say President Washington

You look remarkably youthful for someone who voted in 1789.

I do laugh at folks that are receiving medicare and stating they don't want the government in their health care.

Yes, isn't it pathetically amusing how so many people don't want "government" intruding in their lives,....... except when they want the government to send them a check.
 BeckyHT
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Do you hide your political affiliation on dates?
Posted: 7/26/2016 9:25:24 AM

MisterV64: I have no party affiliation, but I believe that political correctness from liberal and progressive viewpoints are directly leading to the demise of this country.

I know lots of things said are generalities.

But what does ‘political correctness’ have to do with liberal and progressive?

And what do liberal and progressive have to do with ‘the demise’?

Do you realize the thousands of advancements America has made and we continue to make? Do you realize that in the last eight years, America has pulled itself out of the worst recession most of us have seen in our lifetimes? How did that happen? And do you realize that our 2008 recession just about took down the entire world’s economics as well?

If you want to talk about “demise”… take a look at the one that just about happened in 2008!
 U21984
Msg: 78
Posted: 7/26/2016 10:14:35 AM
I tell em straight up - TRUMP!!!

But most women just assume that about Alpha Types.
 BHinFL
Msg: 79
Posted: 7/26/2016 1:44:29 PM
I don't hide my political affiliation. If you can't tell the truth about who you are and what you believe in then your relationship is doomed from the start.

I can only chuckle at the absolute stupidity posted here from people on both sides of the aisle who probably think they know what they are talking about. I won't cite examples. There really is no point embarrassing anyone.
 U21984
Msg: 80
Posted: 7/26/2016 4:28:53 PM
That's amazing. I can only chuckle at how your clueless arrogance managed to insult everyone on both sides of the isle with that post! But, there really is no point in embarrassing anyone. lol
 _Cinnamon__Girl_
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2016 1:59:32 AM
I had been communicating with a seemingly nice guy on another dating site- he referred me to his FB page to see his pics.
He had a big post on his page promoting Trump.

I wrote back a pleasant email commenting on his pics and interests, but telling him politely that I do not support Trump.
The guy totally flipped out, called me a bunch of names, and generally just went completely batshit.

I'm really glad I mentioned politics. The guy's reaction to me not agreeing with his views was just waaaaay over the top- it was a good early warning, and I bowed out.
I posted the conversation here with all identifying info deleted, it was so funny the way the guy flipped out, but is was deleted- probably too controversial.

To me, "traditional values" = right wing.
i.e. gays should not be allowed to marry, hard-core Christian zealot, gun enthusiast, men are in charge of everything inside and outside of the home, pro-war, and so on.
 StumbledBkn
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2016 8:01:17 AM
I'm just thankful that I have no political affiliation. If I did, I don't think I could keep up with the rules and what I'm expected to believe. I just try to stay out of the fray until it's time to vote. And then, I've found, it doesn't take long to find out enough about the candidates and the issues to realize I'll probably be writing in my choice again.
 BHinFL
Msg: 83
Posted: 8/6/2016 8:26:42 AM

To me, "traditional values" = right wing.
i.e. gays should not be allowed to marry, hard-core Christian zealot, gun enthusiast, men are in charge of everything inside and outside of the home, pro-war, and so on.

You did a great job using a blanket statement to describe millions of people who you don't know. So tolerant and open-minded of you. ;)
 _Cinnamon__Girl_
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2016 9:24:15 AM
I have lived in some very heavy bible-belt areas, and generally speaking, it does mean those things.
What does the phrase "traditional values" mean to you?

I heard/observed/experienced things in those regions which really turned me off to specific types of beliefs. So, yes, I admit I'm intolerant in that area.
 BHinFL
Msg: 85
Posted: 8/7/2016 5:30:07 AM
I get that you were turned away by how certain groups of people treated others, but you put tens of millions of people into one category and labeled them as abhorrent, for lack of a better word.

To you, I am "right wing" because I define myself as conservative (smaller government and less government intervention in our lives). However, to me gays should be allowed to marry just like anyone else. Let them enjoy divorce just like the rest of us! At the same time, gays should not impose their sexuality on others. I don't walk in parades declaring that I am heterosexual. I don't care what someone else does with his or her life, just live your life and stop disrupting others' lives.

I am spiritual, not religious, so I do not follow Christianity, Catholicism, Islam, or any other religion.

I am not a gun enthusiast (does that mean I would have to sleep with a gun?), but I served in the Marines and I shoot at a range periodically.
I am not pro-war.

If a man is in charge of everything in a relationship then the woman shouldn't be in that relationship.

You forgot to include a rant about NASCAR, beer, and whatever other stereotypes you want to throw in there to cover the knuckle dragging right wingers. :D
 BHinFL
Msg: 86
Do you hide your scars, tattoos, sexual preference, and anything else that’s important?
Posted: 8/7/2016 5:45:56 AM

Liberal women can't abide by icky old men with conservative leanings. We like our dirty old men a little on the liberal side, more fun that way.

So conservative leanings = icky old men and dirty old men = liberal men.
Good to know!
 WhereforeAndWhyNot
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Do you hide your dirt?
Posted: 8/7/2016 7:04:49 AM
^

Works for me… I’m about as dirty as they cum. :-)

I even have dirty toes, ‘cause I wear flip-flops.
 Kashmir_too
Msg: 88
Posted: 8/7/2016 7:08:47 AM
No one actually stayed what "traditional values" meant to them. One did, got knocked down.

Your comment above about gay pride parade was very telling...for such a progressive conservative. How about the St. Patrick's Day Parade. Yesterday in my city there was a Cari-West parade (Caribbean and Weat Indies). It's not a big deal. But I always laugh at the ones that say "well, I don't mind the gay guys but Geezus, we don't have a parade because we are heterosexual". Somehow this is "impose their sexuality on others"...Hahahaha. Way to be progreesive .

Like Cinnamon I get along more with men that are liberals or a small C conservative with liberal leanings. For example, I won't even chat with a man who is not Pro Choice. Or anyone who is looking for someone with "traditional values" or "God fearing". And I ask...you have to have so thing to chat about on a meet or date.

All of us are allowed our preferences and yes, at times, we lump a whole pile of folks into one category. We are allowed to do that too.
 diaboloacetin
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2016 7:38:44 AM
Amen to that Cinnamon. ;-)

To me also, "traditional values", and "right wing" and "conservative" imply very broad sets of values. Anyone who calls themselves by such labels inevitably risks being associated with the whole set whether they intend it or not.

So my suggestion is not to use any sort of labels to identify oneself. We're all unique and have our own unique set of beliefs that most likely doesn't match anyone else's completely.

But to answer the OP, I am not afraid to talk about all my beliefs, political or otherwise. They are part of who I am. But will respect the boundaries set by my date. There are always boundaries, especially when first getting to know someone. Think about it.
 BHinFL
Msg: 90
Posted: 8/7/2016 8:18:57 AM

No one actually stayed what "traditional values" meant to them.

Cinnamon did. Bible thumping, gun loving, pro-war nutjobs. That's your definition, right? ;)

Your comment above about gay pride parade was very telling

Of course it was ... to you. I could have mentioned healthcare or taxes and you would have determined that I wanted people to go without medical attention, food, shelter, or any number of things to keep them alive. Instead, you dissected my words with your ideological labels and beliefs. Thank you for showing who you are.

For example:

Way to be progreesive

I never said I was progressive. You did, and you did it mockingly. Again, I appreciate that you are up front about who and what you are.

I won't even chat with ... anyone who is looking for someone with "traditional values" or "God fearing"

No one defined what traditional values are, but you said you won't date someone who is looking for traditional values. More labels. Very telling.
 Kashmir_too
Msg: 91
Posted: 8/7/2016 8:47:49 AM
Traditional values? I think Cinnamon was close in what "I" think traditional values means. Because I've only heard this from men...I also think it means that the man is the boss of the family. The barefoot and pregnant, in the kitchen as soon as you get home from work and do what I say in the bedroom. Not allowed an independent thought. Conservative, Christian (when it suits him). The gun thing...I'm Canadian so the gun thing is not an issue.

So, as a female, atheist and a humanist ...I don't want a "traditional values" guy. In MY experince, we aren't a fit. I do t want a fat guy either so right away I've made a judgment call and turfed a large segment of the population. Do you have a problem with that too? And you have NO idea who I am, just like I don't know about you either.

And I'm not so much "dissecting" your words, I just chose one little area you mentioned...the gay thing.

So BHonFL, how do you define "traditional values"? Just wondering.

BTW, this liberal has been to 3 NASCAR races and has drank beer on more than one occasion.

Oh..and if I hear "looking for a man with traditional values" it usually means she expects a man to pay for everything....just like her Daddy did. Some of us grew up, some didn't.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 92
Posted: 8/7/2016 9:16:30 AM
Sounds like we're overdue for a Bob & Sally vignette.

Traditional values.

My wallet/security gets me a mother figure/stepford wife.
 daynadaze
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2016 10:23:39 AM
It amazes me that being politically correct throws some people into such a state, as though being respectful of others is limiting them....of what?

I like to get that stuff out early on so we don't waste each others time.
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2016 10:32:50 AM
^^^^^^^^

Exactly.
 WhereforeAndWhyNot
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Do you hide your billfold on dates?
Posted: 8/7/2016 10:50:09 AM
CT, I’m starting to think that your wallet needs to start its own profile. It seems to be the most popular member of the club. :-D

“It amazes me that being politically correct throws some people into such a state, as though being respectful of others is limiting them....of what?”

Yeah… kinda like those who’d like to pass laws limiting what everyone else can do in their own homes and bedrooms… usually based on their own limited religious viewpoint. With life as complicated as it is, you’ve got to wonder about someone who finds the time to worry about things like that…. Methinks they protesteth too mucheth?
 _Cinnamon__Girl_
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2016 11:37:39 AM
What Kashmir Too said.

BH in Fl-

Why so defensive?

I would consider you small c conservative, not Right Wing.

I would not define wanting less government interference in our lives as a "traditional value", nor would I necessarily describe it as Right Wing.

From Wikipedia:

"Traditional values refer to those beliefs, moral codes, and mores that are passed down from generation to generation within a culture, subculture or community."

And generally speaking (gasp! a generalization!) in the traditional social culture of the U.S., this means go to church on Sunday (and it better be a Christian church) gay = sin, women have a defined role in the home, and defer to men in most matters, men have a defined role as provider, head of household. People should date and marry within their own race, and so on.

I, too, want less government interference in our lives. This includes letting gays have the same rights as everyone else, and letting a woman make her own reproductive choices.

When I lived in the Texas Panhandle ( the "Buckle" of the bible belt, and capital of Traditional Values), I heard many sweeping generalizations that just blew me away.
I had to get the hell out of there, and I did.

So, yes, The phrase "Traditional Values" does bring up thoughts and opinions in my mind which can be considered sweeping generalizations.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 97
Posted: 8/7/2016 12:03:11 PM
Clooney - that was truly funny.
I agree, I wouldn't be a good match for someone who states " traditional values" in their profile.
To me it smacks of everything set in stone, my way or the highway, controlling. But that is my take on it. Yet the same ppl drive cars, use cel phones and puters. So they cheery pick the values that suit them.
I love parades
 Vannili
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 8/21/2016 10:54:32 AM
DivineBovine that is correct in my book, I would rather have a nice bonding time, enjoy a lovely meal and talk about pleasant things like travels, arts, hobbies, and discreetly try to learn what is his character . Politics and Religions opinions is a heavy debate that brews a conflict.
 deetristate
Msg: 99
Posted: 8/21/2016 5:53:57 PM
In my daily life, I don't come across those things that you all talk about "happening to women."

Must be cultural.

I find it interesting to read your complaints. And I more understand the reason why "I am woman, hear me roar" comes up so much among you.

This has been enlightening.

As far as dates, it usually doesn't come up until you know someone for a while and if you care about them, is it a deal breaker? No.
 Seki1949
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 8/21/2016 9:26:59 PM
This election, I hide it from myself.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do you hide your political affiliation on dates?