Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do you hide your political affiliation on dates?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 _Iconoclast_
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Do you hide your political affiliation on dates?Page 5 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
Nah. If one supports Trump, I have no problem doubting one's morality.
 deetristate
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Do you hide your political affiliation on dates?
Posted: 8/21/2016 5:53:57 PM
In my daily life, I don't come across those things that you all talk about "happening to women."

Must be cultural.

I find it interesting to read your complaints. And I more understand the reason why "I am woman, hear me roar" comes up so much among you.

This has been enlightening.

As far as dates, it usually doesn't come up until you know someone for a while and if you care about them, is it a deal breaker? No.
 Seki1949
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 8/21/2016 9:26:59 PM
This election, I hide it from myself.
 zonavar69
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 8/21/2016 11:15:34 PM
We just had the stupidest federal election ever here in Australia a month ago after the incumbent party didn't get it's way forcing new legislation through the parliament and forced an election via a 'double-dissolution' trigger (don't know if that exists in the US political system).

I hate politics and tend not to talk about it even with close friends, so I especially don't talk about it with anyone else unless they raise the topic first and invite comment. On a date talking about politics unless it's light-hearted and part of the flirtation wouldn't seem to be a very positive productive thing to me.
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 105
Posted: 8/21/2016 11:39:14 PM
Okay, I'll throw in my experience here, for what it's worth. I was very briefly married to someone who had opposite political leanings to mine. We got along fabulously. He was almost as funny as me :) He was intelligent and charismatic, yet had a mild temperament. He could communicate assertively. But our core values were in conflict. If we had discussed our political leanings beforehand it would have revealed some of this.
 sweet_dreams2
Msg: 106
Posted: 8/22/2016 5:52:51 AM
I'm not so much on political parties per se. It's more about how they stand on issues. I wouldn't get on well with someone who is not pro choice or not supportive of gay marriage. Probably wouldn't work out with an staunch NRA person either although I fully support the 2nd. And way, way liberal or way, way conservative wouldn't work either. Middle of the road and open minded, that's what I want.
 InnerGorilla2
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2016 7:01:00 AM

Probably wouldn't work out with an staunch NRA person either although I fully support the 2nd. And way, way liberal or way, way conservative wouldn't work either. Middle of the road and open minded, that's what I want.

The NRA has done a great job to push the dialogue to extremes. They have moved the narrative to any form of gun control is an automatic declaration that we are going to take everyone's guns. They pay no attention that in the Second amendment it says "a well regulated militia." Key word "regulated."

It's no different than the First, where freedom of expression has conditions and regulations as it pertains to libel, inciting violence and hate towards others.
 HippyDippyWeatherman
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2016 8:02:42 AM
Just the word politician has a negative connotation. All politicians at some point during their tenure will have to compromise their belief system just to get a pet project on the fast track. The good old boy network eventually beats well intentioned representatives down. My only suggestion would be to computerize the black and white or yes or no issues that disguise ulterior campaign financed motives and pork barrel politics. Each issue should be stand alone or a very limited number to clarify what stand is being put forward and for what reason. I have no problem expressing my political views because they are not set in stone. I am willing to concede my point of view to a better one.
 Maleman999
Msg: 109
Posted: 8/23/2016 2:47:35 PM

The NRA has done a great job to push the dialogue to extremes.

It someone has a drone and hooks up guns to it that can be fired by remote control, is that covered under the 2nd amendment?
 flman2015
Msg: 110
Posted: 9/18/2016 5:12:17 PM

Political affiliation used to be about differences in methodology about how to achieve what is best for the country. These days, that is no longer the case.

Sally Bradshaw, a long time republican activist, stated it best when she said...

I can’t look my children in the eye and tell them I voted for Donald Trump.

That statement says it all.

Supporting that repugnant individual represents an unconditional deal breaker. It exposes the moral and ethical values (actually lack thereof) of his supporter. It also exposes the determination of that individual to impose their choices onto others using lies, dishonesty, deceipt, hatred and any other reprehensible behavior to achieve their objective even when they are fully aware that their objective is harmful to others and even to themselves.

Obviously, such disposition and behavior will not lead to a successful relationship, much less an enjoyable one. No one wants to deal with that, particularly in a setting where two people are supposed to be making life better for each other.

Personally, I most definitely want to know who, the woman I am considering as a partner, supports in this election.
 halforhalfnot
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 9/18/2016 6:18:31 PM
America is different than any other place in that regard. It's also different than the America of its own first 200 years.

For Americans....no, actually just Republicans, political affiliation is more of a tribal or religious identifier.

In Canada, I can talk to people who vote differently than me about politics and we're still talking the same language. We will even find we agree on most things. The core values cross party lines. In America you have Republican legislators denying people the vote, telling the poor they should die, actively attacking dedicated public servants and scientists.....

They should just change the name to Deatheaters and be done with it. In every choice between good and evil, they always choose evil.
 loveisatemple
Msg: 112
Posted: 11/13/2016 1:12:44 PM
No, I do not, why would anybody? Personal convictions, beliefs, values do not matter in compatibility? Oh, just looks?

If personal gain and circumstance matters only, why would you be a good choice, as when one loses looks/gets ill, loses money...they will be gone.

I never dated right wingers--we never associated, much less were drawn. I have dated "apolitical/outsiders" so called independent/libertarian(but nothing firm) and now find it might just be a front.

In my case, they were not right wing, but it was a mix of progressive and regressive ideas, like being a bit sexist and racist whilst claiming to be liberal. It leaks out over time. Self interest, and none for the community at large. Like, wanting pot legal, but women should be demure and quit complaining and know their place as not as important as men(they don't say that. They hide those attitudes too.)

These values mattered before, and somehow more as one gets older, have more experiences, and deal with repetitive patterns.

But, lying about being Republican is a sign of self hate. Trump voters should date their own, as nobody else wants them. Hope they are attractive to you. They are your mirror.
 BlasphemousBombshell
Msg: 113
Posted: 11/13/2016 6:05:39 PM
That article is interesting, thank you for sharing.

It doesn't surprise me much though.

My first thought was that women tend to be far more liberal than men and so many men will withhold information hoping that this act of dishonesty won't be a big deal down the line.

But then I read this comment in the response of the article: "Maybe because intellectually, they know that racism, bigotry, selfishness and greed are sociopathic tendencies." and i thought to myself this could also be the answer.

In either event: Im from europe and as such am more left than any mainstream American party because I am NOT a capitalist. I wear that crap on my sleeve because I'm not going to waste anyone's time. By my age I'm used to political difference being the biggest reason for why I turn a person down - I have fully accepted long ago that I am going to be far more political and liberal than 99% of Americans...
 Seki1949
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2016 11:41:51 PM
Oh, we all have our own tribes and our own religions even the Democrites as much as the Reboobplicans . Some interesting comments from Scott Adams (of Dilbert fame):

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/153080448451/the-cognitive-dissonance-cluster-bomb

As an atheist, nothing annoys me more than a militant intolerant atheist.
 Seki1949
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2016 11:50:10 PM

We just had the stupidest federal election ever here in Australia a month ago after the incumbent party didn't get it's way forcing new legislation through the parliament and forced an election via a 'double-dissolution' trigger (don't know if that exists in the US political system).

No, 'parliament' is never dissolved in the US and there is no such thing as a 'vote of confidence' by which a government can 'fall' and new elections scheduled.

We have Congressional elections every two years for 100% of the House of Representatives who serve two years terms and 1/3rd of our Senators who serve 6 years. Presidents are elected every four years and may only be elected twice to the Presidency.

I don't think that either system is inherently superior or inferior to the other. The choice of one or the other reflects the specifics of any countries history.
 Like2dance
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2016 7:34:09 AM
On dates I want to be the real me so I do not pretend to be what I am not. Of course I avoid discussing religion and politics which should only come to fore if we are headed into a serious relationship.
 VikingHoosier
Msg: 117
Posted: 11/15/2016 5:15:24 AM
The only political issue I bring up is the environment. Dealbreaker if anyone wrecks the environment.

If other political views are incompatible, the sooner we know about them, the better. Recently a limousine liberal matched with me on one of those "swipe right on a photo" apps connected to Facebook. We had some Facebook friends in common. She had already seen me on Facebook via her Facebook friends before swiping yes on me. Our initial conversation on the dating app mainly consisted of her asking questions indicated she was stalking me on Facebook. You'd think she would have found any dealbreakers, but apparently she saw only what she wanted to see. A few days after the election, she apparently saw one of my posts showing I don't like Hillary. She threw a fit. Unmatched me on the dating app, saving me the effort of unmatching her. In the same discussion where I expressed my dislike of Hillary, I also mentioned being from a poor neighborhood, so it's possible her fit wasn't about Hillary, but she imagined I was rich and realized I'm poor. I never asked her out: she seemed high maintenance, and showed no humor, affection, or anything to indicate she might be good company. Limousine liberals are the opposite of me on almost every issue.

Birth control is one issue worth knowing before getting into a relationship. Otherwise, the poor chap brings a Trojan and she says, "I don't allow those".

Nowadays we can get out of any relationship by playing the Trump card. Simply say you voted for Trump or that you think he's doing a good job, unless you think they like Trump, in which you can say anyone who voted for Trump is racist.
 daynadaze
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2016 10:01:30 AM
What are Limousine liberals and what does abortion have to do with condoms, in the context you posted? What is the opposite of a Limousine liberals?

I'm just being nosy. I'm a hope-my-car-starts or I'm-poo-out-of-luck liberal.
 VikingHoosier
Msg: 119
Posted: 11/16/2016 5:35:49 AM
Limousine liberals have the worst characteristics of both sides. They have all the dysfunction of the right: richest 1%, not paying any taxes, pro war, etc, plus all the dysfunction of the left.

Recently a limousine liberal made a post on POF forums calling us "human garbage" or "human excrement" and bragging about exploiting us.

I'm the opposite of a limousine liberal. The opposite would be someone who isn't rich but who has conservative / independent / radical political stances.

Didn't mention abortion, but an excellent example of limousine liberals are the Planned Parenthood executives who boasted about buying Rolls Royces from the money they get selling aborted late term babies to research companies. Other examples of limousine liberals include Margaret Sanger, Hillary Clinton, Jane Fonda.
 gotahubcapdiamondstarhalo
Msg: 120
Posted: 11/16/2016 7:06:44 AM
^^^ "Planned Parenthood executives who boasted about buying Rolls Royces from the money they get selling aborted late term babies to research companies."

Oh, sure. A claim like this only serves to destroy YOUR credibility.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 121
Posted: 11/16/2016 7:34:44 AM
Where are the links supports your claim VH?
 VikingHoosier
Msg: 122
Posted: 11/16/2016 7:57:25 AM
The car she's buying is actually a Lamborghini instead of a Rolls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwcMDLac2kk

In the video, she's behaving like a typical limousine liberal, drinking expensive wine at a fancy restaurant, spending US tax dollars and the money she gets from selling fetal body parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pyuCWbnfmk
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2016 8:12:58 AM
I'd rather not get involved with someone who cares TOO much about politics.

IME it seems that's ALL those types ever wanna talk about = YAWN .

I mean if you care so much then DO something about it. Otherwise, talking politics = CONSTANT COMPLAINING.

...um, hmmm....no thanks
 BlasphemousBombshell
Msg: 124
Posted: 11/16/2016 10:57:43 AM
Sorry you only met talkers. Im someone who comes from an activist family so its not only talk but a pretty big chunk of life activities (protests, petitioning, union organizing, donating time, fund raising, planning, etc) thats why for me a person HAS to be interested in politics. I cant drag someone to an empty bowls benefit if they cant stand talking about political issues. I do meet the arm chair activists you speak of and they perplex me. Complaining doesn't get stuff done.
 daynadaze
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2016 11:37:02 AM
What do you think they should do with aborted fetuses?
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do you hide your political affiliation on dates?