Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > broadening horizons vs lowering standards      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jessebunnies
Msg: 47
view profile
History
broadening horizons vs lowering standardsPage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

I actually disagree with this. It has been much more damaging to me to go months, years with no interest at all, because that makes you feel subhuman. I made it through all my school and college years without a single female, attractive or unattractive, showing any romantic interest in me and you can’t even begin to imagine how that messes you up psychologically.

Was there no romantic interest? Or was there opportunities you either missed, by passed or didn't develop due to various factors one being your self esteem. I believe there are opportunities all around us just many are missed.

I just kept thinking: this is it, I finally got to that point where there are no single women left that find me attractive, I’ve clipped the event horizon and I’m heading into the unknown at the center of a black hole.

Your issue is your lack of self esteem. You project that loud and clear. If you don't think "your the shet" how is someone else supposed to? We can sit here all day and tell you that your super, duper, amazing, gorgeous, funny, talented, worthy, attractive but if you don't believe this within yourself then you will continue your self fulfilling prophecy that your unlovable! Work on yourself, not just the outside but the inside. You project to some degree what people will think and feel about you. You have to become what you want to attract!

But I do realize I live in a very different world from everyone else, particularly universally attractive women like Jesse

Attraction to a large degree is defined by the culture and the people around us who influenced our life. This means that attraction will be different for everyone! I remember having dinner with a male friend of mine and he was looking at the pictures of men I thought were so "hot" and he was laughing and telling me they were average. Again my perception was largely based off my upbringing. No two people will think alike when it comes to attraction. So my point is that for someone you will be "hot" because you fit their image that was defined when growing up.

Hawking your problem has always been your self esteem. Somebody with healthy self esteem will not be able to withstand someone who lacks it for very long. People usually want equal partners. So you have to work on what your bring to the table emotionally.

Have your ever read Mark Manson's book and blogs? Might be a place to start. It's about building confidence, building from the inside out and attracting people to you. It's written for men but I honestly think a lot of it is valuable to everyone who wants to grow and evolve.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 48
view profile
History
broadening horizons vs lowering standards
Posted: 3/23/2016 12:26:31 AM
I agree with you Karma, why settle for someone who does not do it for you really???. I would rather not. Life goes on and there are many compensations to be had. If someone comes along that rocks the boat then good.

I think there is a widely held myth that stunning looking people are inundated with those wanting to date them. Beautiful women complain that men are intimidated and are often lonely, strange as that sounds. They say they are wanted for the arm candy and not themselves, as well.

What one finds stunning another doesn't and we are all different, thankfully.
 gtomustang
Msg: 49
Posted: 3/23/2016 10:09:27 AM
Ida know, I've been here for years, and listened to some women post in the past about all the guys they have coming at them. I figure they aren't lying, b/c when I used to ask out hotties (ie people who dress and pose as if they know they are sexy enough to pull it off), they told me they were taken, too. Now, are people being approached daily? no. But over time, they've even noticed the traffic they get is different than what others get. Of course, we don't always pick up on the idea we're getting picked up. We might not be interested in the person, so we don't look for any clues to be there. Or we just aren't in a dating mood, so we don't look at what someone else is doing to us and read into it that its a pickup attempt.

I suppose its like predicting weather--just b/c the clouds show up, doesn't mean its going to rain....but its likely.
 rockstartrucker82
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2016 12:35:16 PM

I actually disagree with this. It has been much more damaging to me to go months, years with no interest at all, because that makes you feel subhuman. I made it through all my school and college years without a single female, attractive or unattractive, showing any romantic interest in me and you can’t even begin to imagine how that messes you up psychologically. I felt like a leper and it was pretty easy to believe I was the most unattractive man on earth since I didn’t know anybody in a similar position.

I agree. It's way worse when you're in that position. I'd honestly love just 1 day of being that guy that even just girls I don't think are attractive are drooling over. But instead, over the years... I've had every physical flaw pointed out to me. I've been into girls where I've talked to them about the possibility of dating, just to later that day be told about how hot my friend is and asked if he was single... One time had to watch what used to be a friend take a girl he knew I was into home (luckily, karma decided to exist and he got her pregnant, which is the worst thing ever when you're that young, now he's paying child support on a kid he doesn't get to see) . I've watched almost every single one of my friends (literally only 1 who hasn't) find a successful relationship, most of them married now, while I can never find a mutual interest, either I end up not being into her (usually because I find out she's a heavy drug addict, or just a terrible person, because that's all I seem to attract) or she's not into me. Through high school and the first few years after, I sat home alone every Friday night... Because I was the single friend, and anyone who remembers high school (or their friends that didn't escape that mentality yet) your friends COMPLETELY forget you existed when they had a girlfriend. Throughout the years, I've had countless girls I was dating just do the vanishing act. Tons of dates canceled followed by "I have a boyfriend now." Even better, mutliple girls since my decision that I want something serious, go on mutliple dates with me, but then meet another guy, and after only 1 date: "I want to date only him and see where this goes, it's not fair to him if I still date you."

BS like this is a lot of why I went through such a long stretch where I just didn't want anything serious. There's trust issues. There's way too much doubt than there should be. It's so much worse being the guy that doesn't appeal to girls. I'd trade my life experiences for having the option of only attracting girls I'm not attracted to any day. Maybe then, I wouldn't have the trust issues that are REALLY becoming a problem now that I want something more than just dating.

In the world of dating, OPs situation is a first world problem. Man up. Sorry that no guys that he's attracted to are into him... It's gotta be tough at least having options. Come back when everyone you're into just starts always having an excuse for why they can never see you... You know, the ones that are buys 24/7, never have any free time at all, but swear they want to go out somewhere with you, but refuse to make set plans for any day... After about 20 or 50 of those, then you can complain about how dating life sucks.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2016 12:57:13 PM
“Your issue is your lack of self esteem. You project that loud and clear.”

Well, Jesse, I think you have to consider what Lili just said right above you:

“If it were happening only in real life, I would say it has to do something with your demeanor... but because you say it's happening on here where people see nothing but your pictures and profile initially, I really don't know what it could be.”

(Jesse) Do you think my profile or pictures project self-esteem problems? My profile's positive, upbeat, ambitious, articulate – most people (Coma excepted) have told me it’s better than the vast majority of profiles on this site. In my pictures I'm mostly smiling (though no teeth) with mostly clear headshots, mostly engaging in fun activities.

Yet I’ve had no unsolicited emails in 3 years and had no unsolicited views from April 2015 to October 2015 (and not many before or since), despite logging on several times a day and living in a major metro where the typical man gets 5-10 unsolicited views a week. The emails alone could just mean I have a bad profile or bad pictures but the lack of organic views strongly suggests the vast majority of women are purposely excluding a man with my searchable characteristics from their searches. I suppose another way to state that is: the vast majority of women do not consider someone with my searchable characteristics to be attractive. Self-esteem, by the way, is not searchable. Height is. Race is. Body type is. Age is. But not self-esteem.

“Was there no romantic interest? Or was there opportunities you either missed, by passed or didn't develop due to various factors one being your self esteem. I believe there are opportunities all around us just many are missed.”

I grew up in rural Alabama in a county with a population of 20,000. The only black girl in my class was my cousin and there were no black girls in the class above me or below me, while the white girls ran the gamut from hardcore racist to just racist enough to never date anyone with black ancestry. People lived so far apart that I rarely met anyone my age that didn’t go to that school. So, yes, I’m 100% certain I did not miss any opportunities prior to 18 years old.

I admit I was pretty psychologically screwed up by the time I got to college where there were more open-minded people, though still in the South, so it wasn’t pure paradise for someone like me but it was a very large university so I probably should have been better off. But it was a different state and I didn’t know anybody when I got there and had terrible friend-making skills as a result of my high school experience. I tried to participate in a lot of activities but none of the girls at them ever seemed very interested in talking to me or they already had boyfriends and after a couple of years I was pretty depressed and just kind of gave up. Now understand, I got rejected a lot in the early years of college, back when I thought being smart and muscular and ambitious and dryly humorous meant something to women in-and-of-themselves (as opposed to being positives if they came with the right-looking guy), so it’s difficult to say I truly missed an opportunity as in not having the confidence to ask a girl out, but did I say or do the wrong thing in some situation in which I had a chance? It’s quite possible.

But I have to say, after I started genuinely getting hit on by females in the 2000s, I can use those episodes as measuring sticks and say absolutely nothing remotely like those incidents happened to me in high school or college. If I completely missed some opportunities, those women were not just keeping their feelings hid but they weren't talking to me at all, because I asked out pretty much any woman that would talk to me in those days, and got rejected every time (#1 reason? "I'm sorry, I just wanted to be your friend." Though race was a close second. Height's actually been rare compared to those reasons, but I feel like that's not something you'd actually tell a guy if you thought he was a nice guy and didn't want to hurt his feelings too much during the rejection. Race -- nobody worries too much about telling somebody he's getting rejected for that reason where I've lived!)

"This means that attraction will be different for everyone!"

So some characteristics and some people aren't considered attractive by a larger percentage of the population than some other characteristics and some other people? What about a cold sore? Does *anybody* find that attractive? Though it is interesting that you mention "growing up" when explaining how attraction develops... because the vast majority of females who have thought I was "hot" were still growing up at the time.

I have some kind of creepy Peter Pan syndrome going on. A couple days ago I laid a picture of me and my best friend from Saturday night next to a picture of me and my best friend from 12 years ago next to each other, and thanks to both of them being the same angle, same light, same framing, they were practically identical pictures. And *I* looked identical. I do mean, 100% identical. My best friend, who also looks much younger than her age in general, had clearly aged from one picture to the next. She even said how eerie the two pictures looked and so did my mother and several other friends. It's very difficult to find well-adjusted 40-year-old women who have any interest in dating a man who looks as young as their sons. And apparently I am now too old to be dating 20-year-olds. I got a lot more views and messages during the first few years I was on this site in my late 20s/early 30s -- much, much less than most men, but far, far, far more than the past few years. I've aged out of my looks.

But back to the original topic we were discussing: I’m getting conflicting vibes from you. I mean, you originally expressed concern about getting emails from men you don’t find remotely attractive and should know better than to write you, yet you’re basically telling me to have the confidence to go out after women that in all likelihood won’t find me remotely attractive and that I should know better than to write. Don’t you feel anything for your sisters that I’m harassing with my foolish emails? Would it really be any different for me to contact 6 foot tall women than it is for a 70-year-old overweight man to contact you? Am I not contributing to negative experiences of modelesque women on here by contacting them even though I realize there is a 99.999% chance they have no interest? Where’s the line at which me contacting a woman is an insult to her and damaging to her self-esteem?
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 52
Posted: 3/23/2016 8:04:50 PM

Attraction to a large degree is defined by the culture and the people around us who influenced our life. This means that attraction will be different for everyone!

Not that different.

Which is why Hollywood gives guys like Danny DeVito, Bobcat Goldthwaite, Sam Kinison, and Gilbert Gottfried the comic foil roles, rather than the romantic leading man roles.
 Blackwood85
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2016 5:50:26 AM
Hawking you have no idea who finds you attractive, which is why you would send a message you're on a dating site so sending a message isnt bothering anyone, it's to be expected and if you don't get a reply back then it's whatever. Uunless a chick has something in her profile that disqualifies you then you don't assume anything.
 Inner_Gorilla
Msg: 54
Posted: 3/24/2016 2:50:52 PM

The emails alone could just mean I have a bad profile or bad pictures but the lack of organic views strongly suggests the vast majority of women are purposely excluding a man with my searchable characteristics from their searches.

Dude, you are the master of self deprecation. You're in statistics and it's your belief in that what is dooming you. Instead of looking at the positive side of number, all you do is squeeze the negative one.

For your information, there were times in my life were I was chubby, or even fat. There were times in my life where I was fit and more athletic. Based on your logic during the times that I was the most fit and athletic would have been the time that I was the most effective with women. That was not the case. I became more successful with women when I got to the realization that unless I did something, nothing was going to happen. And once I understood the psychology of attraction things began to happen.

So I have been in both sides of the road. And the key difference is how you approach women, not how they approach you, and how you feel about yourself.

The biggest problem you have is that you have what is called a FIXED Mindset. You are highly attached to your intelligence but are very afraid of getting outside of that comfort zone. If you had an adaptive mindset, you would see each failure as a learning opportunity to try something else, and if it does not work, you keep trying.
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 55
Posted: 3/24/2016 2:54:30 PM

Dude, you are the master of self deprecation.

At least he has a redeeming quality ;)
 Blackwood85
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2016 5:41:12 PM

Dude, you are the master of self deprecation. You're in statistics and it's your belief in that what is dooming you. Instead of looking at the positive side of number, all you do is squeeze the negative one.

For your information, there were times in my life were I was chubby, or even fat. There were times in my life where I was fit and more athletic. Based on your logic during the times that I was the most fit and athletic would have been the time that I was the most effective with women. That was not the case. I became more successful with women when I got to the realization that unless I did something, nothing was going to happen. And once I understood the psychology of attraction things began to happen.

So I have been in both sides of the road. And the key difference is how you approach women, not how they approach you, and how you feel about yourself.

The biggest problem you have is that you have what is called a FIXED Mindset. You are highly attached to your intelligence but are very afraid of getting outside of that comfort zone. If you had an adaptive mindset, you would see each failure as a learning opportunity to try something else, and if it does not work, you keep trying.

He's allowed everyone else to define him and stuck to that definition because of statistics even though you can't apply numbers and stats to dating, there's always an anomaly, a wildcard, an chaotic neutral, there's always going to be some kind of exception and you'll have no idea who it is because of your refusal to take any chance whatsoever and then rationalize it and I say that as someone who's an introvert (INFP ****es!) and who's painfully shy and can be awkward at times but I've learned to adapt and turn each thing into a positive plus I just really don't care what people think about me while caring at times, if that makes sense.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2016 8:28:43 AM
Blackwood: So what do you think the odds are that a 6 foot tall woman is going to find me attractive? Probably pretty low, right? But why do you believe that is the case? You’re saying I have no idea who will find me attractive, yet we’re both pretty sure there are very few 6 foot tall women who will find me attractive. There has to be a reason why we know this. If I was only allowed to contact one woman a year on here, what would you say to the idea of me making that a 6 foot tall woman this year?

Yeah, there’s always going to be rare exceptions (my first kiss came from a 5’11” girl but she was in an abusive relationship and really messed up in the head... plus she really was legally a girl and had no idea what she wanted) but thanks to statistics, we can narrow down the field to a reasonable degree so we don’t waste time and effort on women that are extremely unlikely to be interested in us. Whether “leagues” really exist or not, there is not much doubt we can give every woman on earth a survey and ask them to rate the attractiveness of every man on earth, and there will be one man who is rated attractive by more women than any other men, and there will be one man who is rated unattractive by more women than any other men, and all other men will fall in between in some sort of warped bell curve (OKC actually did this once with its users and the bell curve ended up being skewed toward the unattractive side, meaning women as a whole don’t find most men to be very attractive, whereas the men’s version of the same bell curve for women was almost perfectly symmetrical as you would expect to find in nature – that is, half of all women were judged to be attractive and half were judged to be unattractive. This discrepancy helps explain why men send out so many emails and women respond to so few of them).

All that said, we aren’t limited to one email a year and I do send out emails to whomever I find attractive, regardless of what I believe the chances of her replying are based on our facial attractiveness, because it is true that I can’t possibly know that. Women that would certainly be on the right half of the bell curve have dated me before, even though there is not much doubt I am on the fat left half of the bell curve with most other men. But women who will date men that are shorter than them are SO statistically rare that I almost never contact women who are slightly taller than me, much less half a foot taller than me, even if the taller woman doesn’t mention anything about height on her profile disqualifiers. I mean, I don’t mention anything about having no interest in dating obese women on my profile, even though it’s probably never going to happen. The bigger question here is, am I wasting a 6 foot tall woman’s time by emailing her? Am I just adding to the noise pollution of her inbox that already gets hundreds of emails a day? Am I contributing to her self-esteem issues just so I can have a one-in-a-million chance of hitting the dating lottery? I try to take into consideration the woman’s feelings before I contact her. Yet I still email thousands of women a year despite that.

So you can apply numbers and stats to dating. But, yes, attraction is different for everyone, which probably explains how I’ve managed to date some right side of the bell curve women, but as FullMoonGuy says, not that different, since the vast majority of interest I’ve received has come from the left side of the bell curve and the vast majority of couples are made up of people that come from similar spots on the bell curves – whether we realize that or not, because there are a lot of cases in which one woman doesn’t see what her similar friend sees in a man, but I bet it’s extremely likely they are both of similar attractiveness according to the population as a whole.
 rockstartrucker82
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2016 12:24:48 PM

It's easy to just say that, but you have to acknowledge the entire psychology part of it. Every single one of us, with no exception, is the result of our past. And this is what nobody seems to want to understand... When you spend a lifetime of rejection, or a lifetime of a lack of interest from people, or a lifetime of being the backup plan, you're not just going to overnight have the mentality of God's gift to women. You don't fail your way to confident, positive thinking.

In Hawking's case, when he reads how much height matters, how much less of a man someone his height is, wtf do you expect him to end up thinking? When you hear people saying that anything besides 100% what they're attracted to is "settling," is he supposed to be insanely confident that anyone who is into him is into HIM, and not desperate?

Hawking didn't do this to himself. He's the result of why A LOT of women need to learn empathy before they start opening their mouths or typing on the forums.
 Blackwood85
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2016 3:20:48 PM

The bigger question here is, am I wasting a 6 foot tall woman’s time by emailing her? Am I just adding to the noise pollution of her inbox that already gets hundreds of emails a day? Am I contributing to her self-esteem issues just so I can have a one-in-a-million chance of hitting the dating lottery? I try to take into consideration the woman’s feelings before I contact her. Yet I still email thousands of women a year despite that.

Yea but all you really need is one to find you attractive, not every woman finds me attractive but I can't really worry about that, it sounds callous but well I don't care about how they feel, we're on a dating site if there are no indicators in her profile that disqualifies me from contacting her, if I'm finding her attractive, I'm sending her a message if she's so easily annoyed by a message sent to her on a website then we're not compatible because something so small is not the end of the world and worth being annoyed over. There are women who send me messages and I don't find them attractive but I'm not annoyed by it, my time isn't so precious that it's wasted because it took 30 seconds to read a message. I'm not one of those ***holes who have this attitude of "How dare you contact me! What makes you think, I'll even give you the time of the day you peasant! Now fetch me my scepter!" If a girl's self-esteem issues are that bad that she's even bothered by my sending her a message then she's not a fun person to be around.
 2ufo
Msg: 60
Posted: 3/26/2016 4:03:49 PM

If you think I am being shallow and self absorbed, feel free to say so.

Yep; shallow and self-absorbed.
Don't let it fret you - most humans are shallow and self-absorbed.

A friend suggested going out with a guy I think is really ugly and maybe I will find something to love about him.

Is this a good friend? Perhaps this friend sees something that you don't.
For instance, are you only attracted to people who don't find you attractive?
How narrow are your criteria for 'attractive'?

I, personally, find a lot of characteristics attractive because it isn't the characteristic I find attractive but the person. Fat? Thin? Short? Tall? Bald or dark hair? Most of the time it's all the same to me -- attractive. Sure, I have preferences (dark and short-cut hair, blue or green eyes, lanky or thin, quiet - a listener rather than a talker, smart enough to carry on a conversation), but I don't let my preferences for physical appearance command my attraction to a person.

I think you saying that 'being hit on by nothing unattractive guys' is very interesting. I bet those guys don't think they're unattractive and no one is 'nothing'. Perhaps this is why you can't find anyone; you have a very judgmental mindset, you look at someone and decide he's unattractive and a 'nothing' before anything even happens. Before you even say 'hi'.

As an experiment, try to find something attractive about everyone you see. People-watch and mentally notice a great smile, sparkling eyes, great hair, the shape of a face or their hands, perhaps the way they walk or simply stand.
 south_city
Msg: 61
Posted: 3/26/2016 4:15:01 PM

I think there is a widely held myth that stunning looking people are inundated with those wanting to date them. Beautiful women complain that men are intimidated and are often lonely, strange as that sounds. They say they are wanted for the arm candy and not themselves, as well

I don't think these women are suffering from a shortage of emails. LOL. What's probably more common is some of them complaining about getting emails from men that they aren't interested in. Too old, too young, too fat, too short, from the wrong race etc.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 62
Posted: 3/26/2016 5:40:06 PM
Even for beautiful people dating can be hard. If you have bad abandonment issues, dating is an ordeal no matter what your looks are. If you have challenges sexually, the same. People will walk away from a beautiful person for someone who's more fun and easier to deal with. An exhausting beautiful person will be a lonely beautiful person.
 TrvstInKarma
Msg: 63
Posted: 3/27/2016 9:32:52 AM

Even for beautiful people dating can be hard. If you have bad abandonment issues, dating is an ordeal no matter what your looks are. If you have challenges sexually, the same. People will walk away from a beautiful person for someone who's more fun and easier to deal with. An exhausting beautiful person will be a lonely beautiful person.

That is a true statement. I have abandonment issues, and I think long and hard before I open myself up to a man emotionally.
 gtomustang
Msg: 64
Posted: 3/27/2016 12:01:15 PM
NJ's point caught me at the right time--I was watching the Spider Man movie with Toby McGuire and Kirsten Dunst, and thinking how the character of Mary Jane is portrayed as a serial monogamist--like man, she's with everyone. You can imagine Peter Parker years after marrying MJ complaining, "I know she loves me, but all I can think about is all our friends she's slept with, how do I stop torturing myself with this?" Some people find happiness as an adult, to make up for the happiness lacking in childhood, by becoming the star they always wanted to be, and others work their way thru relationships trying to find Prince Charming. But MJ's so beautiful on the outside, only Harry's father is the one who labels her the town pump--everyone else has her on a pedestal (and maybe one day she'll complain about that). it reminded me of two women I knew who dated men as absent as their fathers, thus waved a few red flags, but gosh, they were so beautiful everyone wanted to date them...even tho a woman less beautiful but with the same red flags, would go wanting for male attention.

Ironically, its great if your biggest problem in dating is yourself--you can change yourself, you can't change others. The ability to make your dating situation better, is literally in your own hands. But, the other side of that coin is...maybe the hardest person we can work on, is ourselves. it takes a lot to throw away everything we know, every foundation we've built a belief system on, and start from scratch. we can't change other people, but its easier to nag them than it is to nag ourselves to be better.
 Laidbackguy1964
Msg: 65
Posted: 6/28/2017 5:46:57 PM
What is the point in me settling for damaged goods, when I am better off on my own...mentally sound women or women, who have got over previous issues and are ready to date again...are on my picker...

no single mothers, no played women, no BBWs, No bitter women, no gold digging women, no loose women, no selfish women, no women who won't put me first, no tight women or misers, no women with bad teeth or hygiene problems, no women with alcohol, drug or gambling problems, no women with nasty habits, no women who can't cook or look after themselves, no women who don't respect a good man...I am looking for a worthwhile woman and one I can enjoy spending time with...I want a woman with a sense of humour, happy with herself, has had positive male role models in her life, come's from a two parent family and is the natural biological child of those parents, but also has a brother or sister...One child tends to be too spoilt and does not understand the meaning of sharing
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2017 5:58:02 PM
^ Man with issues seeks woman who would necessarily pass him by.
 Laidbackguy1964
Msg: 67
Posted: 6/28/2017 6:16:11 PM

Man with issues seeks woman who would necessarily pass him by.

No need for you to admit this about yourself:)))
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > broadening horizons vs lowering standards