Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Age limits on messaging      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 26
Age limits on messagingPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)

Did I mention this should be common knowledge here?

Play with the site features and pay attention to how they work/what they do and your results should improve on this site.

What should be common knowledge is this site is a hunk of shit, and nobody in their right mind is going to devote their time to "studying" it.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Age limits on messaging
Posted: 10/23/2017 12:28:23 PM

Is there still a 14 year rule in effect can't find this documented anywhere

There's not much documented here anyway. :) Yes, 14 year rule is the limit of the site, regardless of one's personal age-range they set in their profile. That said, one poster said that if you pay the site, you may be able to break that 14-year rule... but not worth it for me to pay, just to find out if that's true or not.
 ohenryx
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Age limits on messaging
Posted: 10/24/2017 8:49:12 AM
No, having a paid membership does NOT allow you to break the 14 year rule. I used to have a paid membership here, so I know.

The age range that you set on your profile will override the site defaults ONLY if your setting is more restrictive. In all cases, the more restrictive rule will apply.

Leaving aside your personal settings, there are some other rules which override the 14 year rule. All older people (53 and up? Somewhere in there) can send messages to everyone else who is 53 and older. Unless overridden by a more restrictive setting on their profile. I have encountered young women on this site who have their age set as 99, and I can message them, even though I am clearly not within 14 years of being 99.

Another set of rules apply at the lowest end of the age scale. As I recall, young women 18 to 21 can only be messaged by men under 25.

Basically, I have to agree with Pig. This is the poorest run web site on the face of the earth. Which brings us back around to the other thread, the one about sheer dumb luck. I think Marcus is the luckiest SOB alive to have become rich off of this site. Timing, timing, timing.
 gtomustang
Msg: 29
darn, we can't creep for free, what's wrong with this place
Posted: 10/24/2017 2:15:14 PM
"luck", may not be the four-letter word that helped him.

"FREE" is likely what helped :) No one can pass up something free. Consider the people here who complain about an attractive person they can't understand--if they had to pay $100 on every minute they wasted, trying to understand if they were going to get what they wanted or not, they'd stop real soon :) But its free to answer a phone and waste hours in conversation, hoping for an encouraging word.
 Walts
Msg: 30
darn, we can't creep for free, what's wrong with this place
Posted: 10/24/2017 3:59:48 PM
The big Fish did well because, like most successful business' he saw desperation and preyed on it. He basically gave some of us "free" hope, though, in my case, that hope didn't last long.
 hemingway234
Msg: 31
Age limits on messaging
Posted: 11/6/2017 5:17:28 AM
So find somebody your age who looks like grandma. Problem solved!
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Age limits on messaging
Posted: 11/6/2017 3:45:30 PM

So find somebody your age who looks like grandma. Problem solved!

I tried! I can't! :) POF is not a place to go G-MILFing for younger guys like me. :(

No, having a paid membership does NOT allow you to break the 14 year rule. I used to have a paid membership here, so I know.

I agree that POF is basically a lazily run site in many ways. A "don't rock the boat" mentality, which, I can understand having that to some degree, but put some common sense into it, I say.

I would say make a DEFAULT age-range for profiles +/- 14 years of age, and folks 18-20 setting it to 25 and under... so if the user just doesn't put thought into their profile (kinda common), it'd go by their suggestion, but if they want to try out someone way older, that's fine -- if that older person also has the younger level allowed.

The only semi-reasonability I could see with contacting 18-21 year Requiring being 25 and under is if a gal (or guy I guess) is really under 18 IRL being the 18-21 year old. A 15-17 year old is (almost always) not going to lie over 21, so it's a "throw a few babies out with the bathwater" to avoid "32 year old male hooks up with 16 year old gal off dating website." That said, it's not like not implementing that's holding Match, OKC, Tinder, and others back. So it's way over-correcting the steering and unnecessary.
 ohenryx
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Age limits on messaging
Posted: 11/7/2017 12:19:46 PM

I would say make a DEFAULT age-range for profiles +/- 14 years of age, and folks 18-20 setting it to 25 and under... so if the user just doesn't put thought into their profile (kinda common), it'd go by their suggestion, but if they want to try out someone way older, that's fine -- if that older person also has the younger level allowed.

Many people brought up that exact idea when Marcus first imposed his arbitrary age ranges on this site. Just make it the default, and let people override if they wish. Marcus paid zero attention. Historically, Marcus never gave a damn what anyone thought about his actions or decisions, and this was just another example.

After the Match group bought him out, some of us were hoping that things might change. But nothing has changed. We used to get changes fairly often (just not for the better), as Marcus would try out anything that occurred to him, in real time, on the production system. These days, nothing changes, apparently the Match group thinks they bought a “winner”, and have no intention of changing anything.
 leanco
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Age limits on messaging
Posted: 11/7/2017 2:12:57 PM

These days, nothing changes, apparently the Match group thinks they bought a “winner”, and have no intention of changing anything.

It could be that Match has bought POF just to eliminate the competition. That's why seemingly nothing has ever been done to it and the site appears to run on autopilot.
 EvansFromHeaven
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Age limits on messaging
Posted: 8/29/2018 9:09:12 PM
I'm going to reveal to you a 100% free tool that allows you to search plenty of fish dating website without having to be a member without having to be logged in and the best part is this search removes the minimum age restrictions. What this means is if you're an 80-year-old guy and you want to check out 18-year-old girls on plenty of fish you can do that with this tool.

This plenty of fish search to is extremely simple to use:

Go to https://www.scrapersnbots.com/webtools/free-tool-view-plenty-of-fish-profiles-without-registering-no-signing-up.php
Enter in the sex of the person you wish to view profiles of.
Enter the location of the person you wish to view POF profiles of.
Enter the type of relationship you want them to want other words if they want nothing serious or if they want a serious relationship etc.
Enter the age of the type of profiles of people you wish to view on plenty of fish and this can be any number you wish regardless of your age.
 SiennaBear2
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Age limits on messaging
Posted: 8/29/2018 10:43:13 PM
There should be no age rule. People can enforce their own age rule with the message controls
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Age limits on messaging
Posted: 8/30/2018 7:00:08 PM
whether you are 59 is debatable but yes I cant believe a woman of 79 would be on dating sites lol!
 TomásIasan
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Age limits on messaging
Posted: 8/31/2018 8:38:17 AM
^Why not their on gaming sites and playing MMORPG you laugh and I know a lady from an MMORPG who uses a dating site. I never understand people with their lack of awareness if your here chances are someone else you don't expect is as well.
 newstart1949
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Age limits on messaging
Posted: 9/6/2018 10:48:54 AM
Just recently I found it funny that a 70 year old guys had an age limit of 50-60...
Guess he doesn't want a woman close to his age.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Age limits on messaging