Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Being unrealistic about age of potential dates?Page 2 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
chromis

the trouble is that 54 year old women are not seen as "gorgeous" by a lot of men and successful women are intimidating to some men and they are also fussy about who they want to date, after all.
 Like2dance
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Being unrealistic about age of potential dates?
Posted: 3/28/2016 5:22:18 PM

Well, yeah, but a 53 year old guy who sets his preferred age range from 35 - 50 ... that's just crazy. Absolutely, men do this much more than women. Look no further than the OP himself ... hilarious. His post couldn't be more ironic. He's 52 and will date from 35 to 52. Yeah, I'll bet he's just swamped with 38 year old women clogging his inbox. The gorgeous and successful 54 year old woman can't even contact him.

Crazy?

This got me recollecting back to when I was 53. At 53 I met and started dating a woman who was 41. We dated for four years. For several reasons we ended it and remain very good friends. When I was 57, about six months after the end of my prior relationship, I met a 37 year old who I dated for two years. She and I are also still friends and continue to do some things together occasionally. At present the woman I have been dating for two years is 16 years younger than myself. She is a former model and holds a PhD. The other two are also model quality women and hold masters degrees.

Fortunately, I do not have to consider dating a woman near my own age. I date younger, pretty women because I can.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2016 7:00:21 PM
like2dance I don't get it.

Your mail restrictions are "Between:37 and 45" and must be female.

Yet you are 63 years old.

The 14 year age restriction prevents anyone younger than 49 from contacting you.

No one at all can contact you. Certainly not the age group you prefer.

So what is the point of having a profile?
 PassionateSunnyGal
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/28/2016 8:45:03 PM
^^lol bragging cause everyone always believes when someone without a picture starts talking about how awesome they are --
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 37
Posted: 3/29/2016 6:44:27 PM

No one at all can contact you. Certainly not the age group you prefer.

So what is the point of having a profile?

In all likelihood, it's for the very same reason that you and I have a profile---just to post in the forums. We just prefer to let our couplehood speak for us, rather than mail restrictions.

Oh wait... you're now divorced again? I'm confused.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 38
Posted: 3/30/2016 7:24:20 PM

I remember when there were no age restrictions.

Me too.

Ah, the glory days of online dating.

They'll pass you by, in the wink of a young girls' eye.

I believe people, likely young woman complained, so pof put in the restrictions in.

The evidence clearly supports your belief, since Markus even went so far as to comment that 50 year old men did not need to be sending messages to 18 year old women to emphasize the reason for the restriction.

Because the young women were too dense or too lazy to figure out that they could put age restrictions on their messages themselves.

I'd like it better if the restriction was there but I could change or get rid of it.

I'd like it better if it went back to the way it was, and some people learn how to take responsibility for themselves.
 Chromis1
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2016 7:57:57 PM

We just prefer to let our couplehood speak for us, rather than mail restrictions.

We do, but that doesn't appear to be the case with Mr. Like2dance. He appears to be actively looking, if his profile is any indication.
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 40
Posted: 3/30/2016 8:39:24 PM

We do, but that doesn't appear to be the case with Mr. Like2dance. He appears to be actively looking, if his profile is any indication.

I'm sure he IS actively looking. Just not in this pond.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2016 8:47:20 PM

In all likelihood, it's for the very same reason that you and I have a profile---just to post in the forums. We just prefer to let our couplehood speak for us, rather than mail restrictions.

His profile shows he is/was looking in this pond, though. It's pretty clear. That, combined with age restriction of 37-45 he set obviously shows that's what he was aiming for. At best, he just hasn't put much emotional stock in POF, and payed more attention to the forum... while just assuming he wasn't getting any messages from gals because for guys it's hard to come by. ;)
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2016 9:44:57 PM
I would not have thought it easier for an older woman to get a date with a younger man, than the reverse.
The younger man does not really want to spend money on the older woman but older men know they have to splash out to attract a younger woman and do so.

It all depends on the age gap that is involved of course and a few years either way is hardly an issue.

I tend to think that any woman in their fifties and sixties expecting to be wooed and won by a successful, desirable man is being unrealistic. "Dating" seems an anachronism to me in that age bracket altogether.
 rearguard*2
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2016 6:55:34 AM

I would not have thought it easier for an older woman to get a date with a younger man, than the reverse.
The younger man does not really want to spend money on the older woman but older men know they have to splash out to attract a younger woman and do so.

A lot of negative thinking expressed here. In RL people of all ages date all ages successfully, and the idea of spending money does not usually play an important part.

People who like each other and get along well form relationships. Every case is unique. All you achieve with pre-conceived ideas about relationships is spending more time alone and lonely. Successful and desirable are relative terms, and there is nothing unrealistic about having any relationship goal. Its all about what you are willing to do to achieve it.
 maybeebaybee1
Msg: 44
Posted: 3/31/2016 8:19:02 AM
I've read way more men's profiles stating they're looking for much younger women and then starting threads about how they can't contact woman 20+ years younger ...
 rearguard*2
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2016 8:32:49 AM
Its the complaining that is silly. There are lots of places on the net where you can contact women of any age. Even more in RL.Not a lot to be gained by complaining about people who believe their theories of life are different from your own.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 46
Posted: 3/31/2016 8:43:37 AM
DAmn strait a woman in her 50s and 60s can be wooed and won by a successful handsome Man
Sheesh
Do we have a best by date tattooed on our backsides?
Probably same ppl who say stuff like that
have never been wooed nor won
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 47
Posted: 3/31/2016 9:07:17 AM

DAmn strait a woman in her 50s and 60s can be wooed and won by a successful handsome Man
Sheesh

ABSOLUTELY!
 rearguard*2
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2016 10:01:23 AM
And....its a lot of fun wooing and winning them.
 hemingway234
Msg: 49
Posted: 4/2/2016 8:45:03 AM
Welcome to the world's biggest cat-and-mouse game, dating. Enjoy!
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 50
Posted: 4/2/2016 9:54:11 AM

Don't they realise that they're in effect sabotaging themselves?

No, they don't, because most people will sabotage themselves about something, but see the sabotage from a biased viewpoint, which they think is to their benefit, but more often than not, works to their detriment.
 high-ground
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2016 11:49:45 AM
JJBean,

Is cellulite a polite term for fat? As we age its just a statistical number where more men and women just don't take care of them self. Women are more appearance oriented throughout their live. Its just there process of attracting a mate, even though most will deny it. You can pick clothes to hide your bulges, but not on the beach or in the bedroom. Men usually don't wear makeup, so to be fair, a women's facial pictures are somewhat masked, and today you would be surprised what Photoshop can do. You say your blond and 56 in your profile, but your forum post says 58, and is that really your true hair color?

If you don't want a man with bad teeth and a gut, just add it under your preferences. You already show your preference for men your age and up to 12 years younger.
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 54
Posted: 4/6/2016 12:03:17 PM

Is cellulite a polite term for fat?

Cellulite is not a polite term for fat. It's a different condition that mostly affects women, where the skin is dimpled--usually on the butt and thighs. A woman can have cellulite and not be overweight, or be overweight and not have cellulite. The condition sometimes gets more pronounced as women age.
 high-ground
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2016 12:29:37 PM
Halcyon skies,

That's bullshit, its skeletal fat matter and can be lost. Its usually formed by the lack of exercise in the areas where its formed. I had it at very young age in my legs because I was not active. Read the link below, particular the 4th paragraph down. There are hundreds of other links that also agree.

http://www.prevention.com/fitness/strength-training/leg-exercises-and-butt-exercises-how-lose-cellulite-and-fat

I exercise not to impress. I do it to feel better, and to fend off any form of medication. More aerobic now and moderate weights for bone density.

---------added to post --------------------------
Just for example when I went dailymail this appeared in the headline. Impressive

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3525976/From-obese-bikini-model-230lb-woman-reveals-lost-half-weight-WITHOUT-surgery.html
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 56
Posted: 4/6/2016 12:49:23 PM

Halcyon skies,

That's bullshit, its skeletal fat matter and can be lost. Its usually formed by the lack of exercise in the areas where its formed. I had it at very young age in my legs because I was not active. Read the link below, particular the 4th paragraph down. There are hundreds of other links that also agree.

http://www.prevention.com/fitness/strength-training/leg-exercises-and-butt-exercises-how-lose-cellulite-and-fat

I exercise not to impress. I do it to feel better, and to fend off any form of medication. More aerobic now and moderate weights for bone density.

Reading comprehension must not be your strong suit. You implied that a woman who has cellulite is always overweight. Not true.

I didn't say anything about body fat levels, nor did I say cellulite couldn't be lost or improved. I simply said that a woman can have cellulite and not be overweight, or conversely, she can be overweight and not have cellulite---although overweight people do often have cellulite.
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2016 12:51:42 PM
I had a dinner date a month or so ago - not a good match on the fundamentals - and afterwards she tried to fix me up with a friend of hers. Her friend reminded me of mom - I AM NOT ready to go there. As a previous poster mentioned we can do things to hide, mask, or ameliorate our chronological age. Some things are gonna happen anyway - I've got a bum knee from work and play an d it ain't gonna git better w/o being replaced. But, I can keep my weight down, color the grey if needed or desired, and, in general, not look or act like I'm ready for a rockin' chair.

TK
 high-ground
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2016 8:01:38 PM
JJ,

You do have Chutzpah in your honesty. As for your displayed age that's easy to correct. I'm not terribly honest in my profile either, just here for forums. I'm sorry, at times I just get tired of hearing why I am, not what I can do. I've been through allot, but never cancer. I would have a hard time coping.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 60
Posted: 4/6/2016 8:10:48 PM

I've also learned that if a guy my age looks younger than his age (he's in great shape), he's often trolling for women younger than he.

So, everyone should only be "trolling" for people their own age, no matter what they look like, feel like, have interest in, etc.
Or is it only "trolling' when they are not behaving "appropriately" to artificial standards?
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >