Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Like2dance
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Being unrealistic about age of potential dates?Page 3 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
I have read and heard numerous excuses for why a woman's posted age differs from her real age on her profile. They come up with some real corkers. LL's gave me a chuckle - two, actually. It seems to be almost a universal practice for women in their 50's and 60's. Ironically they never err in stating their age is older than it really is. LOL. It boils down simply to the fact they are lying about their ages.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Being unrealistic about age of potential dates?
Posted: 4/7/2016 5:02:04 AM

Ironically they never err in stating their age is older than it really is. LOL. It boils down simply to the fact they are lying about their ages.

I find this whole discussion thread terribly interesting - how people are trying to support the position of a 'reasonable' lie because of the expectations of older online daters. Funny how people find a reason to complain, a reason to justify a lie when the trend falls away from their current situation.

Younger daters are summarily ignored for a decade or two because of their body shape or height, and then deeply criticized for changing anything in a profile because, "A LIE IS A LIE" -- how are they supposed to care about someone that's whining about age expectations in their latter years? Empathy doesn't work that way. Not in the competition for dating. Suck it up.

Make a new, FREE profile - and be HONEST - and stop thinking your situation is special, different, or more important than anyone else - because it most definitely is NOT. Your age can't be changed once you start a profile? I don't give a crap. You know your damn birth date. Start over. My height hasn't changed since age 15, and if I have any trouble 'remembering' it - I get instantly put in my place and labeled a 'liar'. Welcome to the club. Do not pass 'Go' and assume you are special enough to still get paid for it.

In this day and age, you can no longer claim technological incompetence about profile creations - my parents are both in their 70s and my dad has never sent an e-mail in his entire life, yet they both know how to post pics in Facebook and comment on others. Making a new profile is not a big deal - and nobody gives a damn if your profile is brand new or 12 years old, as long as your photos are current. There is no exalted 'veteran' status having an old profile - if anything, it's looked on as pathetic, not positive.

It's like my younger brother whining about having to drive the 'crappy' car to school every day -- when I rode a school bus for 13 years, and had to bicycle 5 miles if I missed my ride. Gain some perspective, people. You don't get to choose which lies are 'acceptable' without sounding like a hypocrite.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 63
Posted: 4/7/2016 5:42:05 AM
So how much younger makes it " trolling" Those pesky I made a mistake when I entered my age.
Wanna know what a woman looks like? Well wake up to her in the morning :) ( except me, I hang upside down in the closet)
My CDO has kicked in, JJ Bean = your opening line is incorrect " then" not "than"
Maybe we shouldn't worry so much about getting/looking old and enjoy being right side of the grass
off to count wrinkles
 cassie2425
Msg: 64
Posted: 4/7/2016 5:51:42 AM
I love the anal about someone subtracting 3 years or adding 2 inches folks or say "average" instead of "a few extra pounds". and how "if they lie about this, they will lie about everything". Anal.

They can go on and on about how horrid someone is is how dumb they are or how dishonest they are. Anal.

Subtracting 3 years or adding 2 inches....WTF. I want to know - I know you're divorced, how many divorces? Did you beat your wife? Do you have a criminal record? How many kids with how many mommy's/daddy's? How about addictions...gambling? Booze? Drugs? That's just a few things that I find are more important than worrying about someone knocking a few years or pounds off.

And I'd much rather choose what is an acceptable lie and appear a hypocrite than be anal and worry about shit that really doesn't matter. IMO.
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 65
Posted: 4/7/2016 9:19:29 AM
If another person is picky about the same things you are---for instance, spelling and grammar, they're not being "anal" about it.

It's only "anal" when something matters to the other person, but you deem it to be unimportant. Right?
 Like2dance
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2016 9:29:26 AM
I hope and pray my physicians, lawyers and pilots are all anal.
 cassie2425
Msg: 67
Posted: 4/7/2016 9:30:32 AM
^^^ You're absolutely correct. And both of you need to be anal or loosey goosey about the same things.
 SLAFFA
Msg: 68
Posted: 4/7/2016 10:07:13 AM
These age related questions are always w/o fail a VERY good indication of folks who have ever attended a Fishmeet or any other type of singles event. Making broad ASSumptions about folks based strictly on the year they were born IS one of the easiest ways to shoot oneself in the feet here. Many regulars have made an art form of it.

THAT ^^^ however is everyone's CHOICE here.

And NO, not "everyone lies" in their profile. Plain o'l Forum MYTH.
 cassie2425
Msg: 69
Posted: 4/7/2016 11:13:54 AM
^^^ Yanno, some of us are just here for the forums and have a life outside of the POF dating website. You seem to be the only one on here that lives and breathes the POF mantra and goes on and on about the wonderful opportunities available if you just followed good ole Markus's plan. Geez. 10years, and still here yammering about Fish Meets, singles events, etc. Seems weird.

In real life I don't ask someone their age or weight or height and they aren't wearing it on a pin on their chest or a tattoo on their forehead. In real life some of this shit doesn't matter. In real life I don't go ballistic if some guy says he's 5'8" and it turns out he's an inch shorter. Why oh friggin why is it such a big deal on here??? SLAFFA, if you found the woman of your dreams and she told you she was 55 and a year from now you happen to spot her birth certificate and find out she subtracted two years off...you going to kick her out your life? Hardly. You, like the majority, would be happier than hell you had someone to love and who loved you back.

And no, not everyone lies on their profile. Many do, many don't and for those that do...it doesn't mean they are a terrible person.

they said that if someone can lie about their age then they are also capable of being unfaithful and all sorts of fun relationship surprises.

Oh ya....that's an automatic...lie about your age you lie about everything (said sarcastically). We're all capable of all sorts of things, including murder, doesn't mean we will. I've lied about my age for years, never once cheated on my husband, yes he's dead, and no, I didn't kill him.

Like I said before, I don't give a rat's azz about fudging a few inches, a few pounds or a few years...no one - NO ONE is going to say "yes, I beat my wife, infact, I beat all 3 of my wives" or "yes, I sexually abused my 10 year daughter". This is the important stuff, not whether he's 6' or 5'10".
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 70
Posted: 4/7/2016 11:18:53 AM
^^^^^^ " And no, not everyone lies on their profile. Many do, many don't and for those that do...it doesn't mean they are a terrible person."

I don't think anyone said these people were " terrible " , they said that if someone can lie about their age then they are also capable of being unfaithful and all sorts of fun relationship surprises.

I've lied about my age for years, never once cheated on my husband

WHAT ?????

INCONCEIVABLE !!!!
 cassie2425
Msg: 71
Posted: 4/7/2016 11:44:35 AM
^^^ I know, crazy isn't it.

I have a friend who won't tell anyone how old she is, never has. Her son got a few of her friends together, myself included, and said "I have no idea how old Mom is but I want to have a party to celebrate either her 50th or 55th or 60th...I don't know, but lets have a party". So we did...all she said was it wasn't a milestone birthday so she may have been 57 or 61...I don't know. And it doesn't matter.

Worry about the big stuff.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 72
Posted: 4/7/2016 12:07:27 PM
You call people anal for not seeing eye to eye with you? hmm, I would think having rejoined oodles of times means that some of us are indeed anal :)
And like Chuck said, ppl sometimes wonder what else ppl are lying about
As a tall woman damn straight it would annoy me he lied about his height.
Weigh, ok a few pounds perhaps, but come on - average and they can't see their shoelaces?
65 matters - CPP kicks in :)
 cassie2425
Msg: 74
Posted: 4/7/2016 12:58:16 PM

hmm, I would think having rejoined oodles of times means that some of us are indeed anal :)

Does that bother you? See, crazy and two faced bothers me. Giving up someone's personal information bothers me too. Age...who cares.

As for "then" and "than" and CDO or OCD....see, many are anal and just won't admit it.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 75
Posted: 4/7/2016 1:37:55 PM
Bean - your quote ' should be then
Cassie.. I was simply saying calling people anal for being annoyed about fibs isn't quite right.
Anal would be pulling out a tape measure/scale on the first meet :/
Truly CDO types arrange the letters alpha
 CarefreeBeauty
Msg: 76
Posted: 4/7/2016 1:46:21 PM
^^^

Truly CDO types arrange the letters alpha

...and true lysdexics are dyslexic

;-)
 Ouija2025
Msg: 77
Posted: 4/7/2016 2:37:49 PM
^^ yes!
I don't remember my Mom talking about the age range she was after when she dated.. altho she usually dated guys a lot younger.
I wed someone older, I see someone younger.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 79
Posted: 4/7/2016 3:48:36 PM
^^^^^^ " If you can make a girl laugh....THAN you can make her do anything "

It should be " THEN "
 cassie2425
Msg: 80
Posted: 4/7/2016 3:49:09 PM
^^^ JJBean, it took me a bit but I figured it out. It's the first line in your profile. The first sentence in your About Me or whatever it's called, should say "then" and not "than".

Too bad some can't be more specific when they are being needlessly critical.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 81
Posted: 4/7/2016 5:05:15 PM
I tried to message you Bean, you only accept messages from men
 Ouija2025
Msg: 83
Posted: 4/7/2016 5:42:24 PM
I did try to message you :)
Might want to remove the MALE only
As her name sake I just wanted to get that quote right
Not Marilyn
God forbid parent unit would name me that :/
I mess up quotes and song lyrics all the time. pretend I am free styling
but one line from a song.. I swear mine was better LOL
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 85
Posted: 4/7/2016 6:52:10 PM

SLAFFA, if you found the woman of your dreams and she told you she was 55 and a year from now you happen to spot her birth certificate and find out she subtracted two years off...you going to kick her out your life?

The woman of MY dreams would not lie about her age.

Like me, she would realize your age is what it is, and lying about it does not actually change any reality.

I've lied about my age for years,

Why?

Did you actually become that age in reality?

Is the truth that fearful?

^^^ Yanno, some of us are just here for the forums

Why?

Aren't there forums on NON dating websites for people who don't want to date?

This is the important stuff, not whether he's 6' or 5'10".

Of course it is, so people should just stop lying about their height and ages, and other people should stop nitpicking about heights and ages, which is why people who lie about them , do lie about them.
 cassie2425
Msg: 86
Posted: 4/7/2016 7:30:50 PM
I guess I look at things differently. I don't really care if you lie about age, weight and height. And yes it is a dating site so why don't they have important information on here... Instead of asking Do you own a car? Or Will you date BBW? Why not have on there - how many times have you been married? Do you have a criminal record? Are you a deadbeat parent? That to me is far more important than the other crap on someone's profile. IMO.

Fullmoonguy, when you meet a woman at a function in real life and find her interesting and ask her out, do you say "would you like to join me for a glass of wine and oh, by the way, how old are you?" No...I didn't think so. I don't ask it either.

And, I always lie about my income as POF isn't my accountant nor the tax man. My birth month and day are incorrect too...as well as my year of birth. It's too easy to find people on the Internet. Sometimes I put a photo, other times not.

And Fullmoonguy, I've chatted with you back and forth for a number of years and I've never seen your photo. So your hiding too. So don't be a hypocrite. I always shaved two years off my age. Then I shaved more off when the age limit for contact came into play. I wanted to continue chatting with KJ and CharminC (remember her) and both are younger.
 gcdeb
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2016 4:19:10 AM

I expected that a boyfriend who is 7 years older than me and 2/3 rds of the way through his lifespan would have wisdom. maturity, and would know how to conduct himself in a relationship. Boy, I was wrong. He ended up one of the MOST IMMATURE guys I have ever been with - I had boyfriends in my 20s who were more mature than he was and capable of building a relationship. Things were great at first but after a number of months they crashed and burned because he needed to get a clue. Pathetic communication skills. There are some men in their 50s who don't want to settle down because they are sowing their wild oats after a divorce because they got married so young they didn't have the chance
About a year ago, my mum, who turns 80 this year, started dating a widower who is 84. TWICE she broke up with him because he cheated on her. TWICE she took him back after lots of really juvenile behaviour on his part. She had her reasons. They seem to be on track now with no drama but I was stunned at the stories she told me about his antics. I really thought there would be *an age* eventually where people would grow up, but apparently not for some.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 89
Posted: 4/8/2016 5:15:31 AM
Deb - twice???!!!!
Redhead - my GF who is 44 feels the same way as you, she is dating ( nothing serious) only much younger guys now.
Idk, maybe some never grow up but darn Deb - twice? Your Mother is a patient woman
 rearguard*2
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2016 6:35:30 AM
Sorry, I find that a 45 year old woman who "looks younger than she is" is pretty funny. Most women in their forties, if they have not let themselves go, are still in the prime of appeal phase of life.

In any event, nothing particularly significant about dating younger, even a lot younger, if you can get away with it and if you can stand it. Each case is unique, and not particularly age related.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >