Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Dating site or hookups only?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Walts
Msg: 26
Dating site or hookups only?Page 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

I feel disappointed that the men around these forums withhold the real truth about men in general, and that is that, with the very rare exception, men will take (sexually) whatever they can get, and will say whatever is necessary to do so.

Well, I'm old enough and smart enough to know that the "men" that I hang around with, are hanging around with me, because there are certain things that I have no time for. Cheating on a wife/girlfriend is one of those things. Drinking my whiskey is another.

Not all men are stupid enough to believe that all kitty cats are created equal. Not saying that some men won't jump at anything wet and moving. Just saying not all of em will. I, personally, hate starfish.

"Truth" is what you "know" to be true. I don't believe your truth will always be the same as mine. One reason being, you got the cat, and I don't.
 south_city
Msg: 27
Dating site or hookups only?
Posted: 3/29/2016 8:35:37 PM

I feel disappointed that the men around these forums withhold the real truth about men in general, and that is that, with the very rare exception, men will take (sexually) whatever they can get, and will say whatever is necessary to do so. It's like some kind of boys' club where there's a rule that you don't let on about this outside of male company.

Some men would. But this is a generalization. I have turned down women that wanted casual sex. So have other men that I know.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/29/2016 9:43:31 PM
Are we talking about POF or my evenings at the bar? My POF profile has been inactive for a while but I go to the bar several times a week. Yeah, things don't go far with my bar "guys"... I usually only talk to them once - when we happen to sit next to each other. Lol. But thanks for taking interest in my life.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 29
Posted: 3/29/2016 9:53:47 PM
And to think of it, one girl (who I met at the bar!) told me POF is only for hookups. So it IS a popular opinion.
 IgottaName
Msg: 30
Posted: 3/30/2016 3:34:27 AM

I feel disappointed that the men around these forums withhold the real truth about men in general, and that is that, with the very rare exception, men will take (sexually) whatever they can get, and will say whatever is necessary to do so. It's like some kind of boys' club where there's a rule that you don't let on about this outside of male company.

This is a joke, right? Please tell me she isn't f*cking serious with this bullsh*t.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 31
Posted: 3/30/2016 6:12:37 AM

with the very rare exception, men will take (sexually) whatever they can get

I think the exception isn't as rare as you claim it to be.

If I took whatever I could get, I'd have a harem by now.

I'd also, without a doubt, would attract stalkers, husbands and have my car keyed along the way...
 TrvstInKarma
Msg: 32
Posted: 3/30/2016 6:59:14 AM
Guys are looking for hookups on any dating site, even the paid ones. And it also doesn't matter if a woman has "racy" pics on her profile or not. I know this from friends who online dated and only showed fully clothed, non-revealing pics. I guess guys who really just want to get laid are not very picky and just carpet bomb every female in a 50 miles radius hoping that some will say yes. It's pretty easy to weed them out though, because most that are looking just to "hit and quit" will not jump through many hoops (take you out on a date, spend a little money while doing it) in order to get laid.
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 33
Posted: 3/30/2016 7:52:11 AM
There must be some women looking for hookups on these sites, too..or at least finding them and participating.
otherwise why would any guys bother to seek them on the sites? It does take two to tango.
and whatsa, really, perpetuating stereotypes? ?
some write as if they still retain society's programming that sex is "dirty" and evil..
but I do think most guys would pass on the toothless dive bar hag, and others, even if they could easily "have" her.
 ndm147
Msg: 34
Posted: 3/30/2016 11:18:47 AM
NJ Girl I am glad you rebutted that insanely negative remark about why you hang out at bars and who you meet and if anything comes of it. It is really no one's business on here. Anyone remember the tv show "Cheers?" It was a fun show entirely set in a bar.

Tagg is another free online site, supposedly just for social interaction, but again, people use it for hookups, friendships or just texting.
 ebolakitty
Msg: 35
Posted: 3/30/2016 12:30:07 PM
The reason things are this way is because this is a 21st century medium serving a 21st century membership. The dating foolishness is slowly going out with the tide (mercifully). For conservatives, it still survives in a corrupted form but not for long. Today, you can't even find conservatives who still want 15 years of lemonade on the porch swing or mandolin serenades. Soon, the concept of dating will be a laughable curiosity of the distant past as well. Hook ups are the only way to function in the near future but that is another potential thread.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/30/2016 2:08:37 PM
Well Lucy since you're that curious, let me provide further detail. I work an intense job where I routinely put in 10-12 hrs a day. Yesterday went home at 10 pm. I check the site and post as means of distraction. And yes, my nights out are quite short. Two beers, convo with whoever is at the bar, and home to sleep. It's a bit of a monotonous lifestyle, but I like it. I like my job.
 sactownromantic
Msg: 37
Posted: 3/30/2016 2:50:34 PM
OP: Men are looking for a hookup on any dating website, not just POF. Men are also looking for a hookup at bars/night clubs. You can blame our hormones for our behavior, you women are talking to us men because you find us attractive. It's in our DNA to be attracted to our partners and want sex.

To all women: I'll bet your ex was looking for a hookup when he met you.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 38
Posted: 3/30/2016 2:52:27 PM
Don't think so, I was introduced to my ex's family the day after I met him.

To below: his family was not his parents as he was a foreigner, but great job trying to guess our situation.
 sactownromantic
Msg: 39
Posted: 3/30/2016 2:54:06 PM
^I'll bet he was thinking about having sex with you even though he was at his parents house.^
 CarefreeBeauty
Msg: 40
Posted: 3/30/2016 3:01:07 PM
^^^

That is hilarious. And I suspect it is quite true~
Thanks for the chuckle. ;-)
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 41
Posted: 3/30/2016 4:29:04 PM
Some are pretty damn naive about men.

Exactly.

I'm not interested in having 3 dates with someone if those thoughts aren't present and I sure as hell ain't meeting her family...

Mom and dad, this is Johnny Rambo. I met him at the Full Throttle Saloon. He likes cats and Ben & Jerry's too!
 cassie2425
Msg: 42
Posted: 3/30/2016 4:49:52 PM

But be glad be very glad she rebutted it I'm not convinced most of you post 24/7 so unless you are in a thigh light movie and can have that much social meeting and life in a bar while posting on here

Hmmm. No only insulted GTO, me and NJgirl today but managed to post 36 times. 36. And the day isn't over. Yet "...most of you post 24/7..."

36 posts. So tell me, who has no life??
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 43
Posted: 3/30/2016 7:05:27 PM

Men have inboxed me and told me that I am on the wrong website if I am looking for something serious and that people only use this website for hookups. Is this true?

Well, if it is true, I'm going about THAT all wrong, too (in addition to the relationship thing).

Why are the perverts on HERE instead of easyhookups(dot)com or onlinebootycall(dot)com (I don't know if these are real sites. lol!)????

Because it's free, and the other completely free site for hookups- Craigslist- went downhill years ago, even before the regular dating sites, and POF garnered many of the refugees from Craigslist.
 TrvstInKarma
Msg: 44
Posted: 3/30/2016 10:21:41 PM

There must be some women looking for hookups on these sites, too..or at least finding them and participating.
otherwise why would any guys bother to seek them on the sites? It does take two to tango.
and whatsa, really, perpetuating stereotypes? ?
some write as if they still retain society's programming that sex is "dirty" and evil..
but I do think most guys would pass on the toothless dive bar hag, and others, even if they could easily "have" her.

Sure, I've hooked up with guys I met online, but only if they were really super smoking hot. Otherwise, why bother? I've gone without sex for months at times because I didn't find anyone "worthy" enough for a hookup, and that's OK. I'd rather have sex with my vibrator than with a guy who doesn't get me hot and bothered, just like I'd rather be single than in a relationship with a guy who I don't have chemistry with.
 south_city
Msg: 45
Posted: 3/31/2016 6:28:07 AM

I know more men who aren't sexual scavengers than who are too
That's not to say they don't want to be active with others, but that's hardly 'anything they can get'

Among my friends, only 1 man might take "anything he can get". Sure I had casual sex with women when neither person was interested in a serious relationship at the time. But that's not necessarily the same thing though. There still had to be some type of physical attraction.
 TrvstInKarma
Msg: 46
Posted: 3/31/2016 6:53:47 AM
I know more men who aren't sexual scavengers than who are too
That's not to say they don't want to be active with others, but that's hardly 'anything they can get'

Among my friends, only 1 man might take "anything he can get". Sure I had casual sex with women when neither person was interested in a serious relationship at the time. But that's not necessarily the same thing though. There still had to be some type of physical attraction.
----

That's interesting, because all I seem to hear from the men here in the forum is that men will hit on anything and have sex with hideous women just to have sex, especially young guys who hit on older women.
 south_city
Msg: 47
Posted: 3/31/2016 7:08:40 AM

That's interesting, because all I seem to hear from the men here in the forum is that men will hit on anything and have sex with hideous women just to have sex, especially young guys who hit on older women.

I have heard more women than men make these types of comments. I have had casual sex with women in their 40s and even 50s that were 10-20 years older than me at the time. But they were at least somewhat physically attractive to me.
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 48
Posted: 3/31/2016 7:37:32 AM
OP, why do you describe/label people who like, enjoy, and want sex, as "perverts"?
 BadResponseGuy
Msg: 49
Posted: 4/6/2016 12:22:48 PM
This site was originally intended for dating. Because it's become to popular to find love online. However, the dating isn't what pays the biggest chunk of the bills.

I can assure you that not everyone here is looking for sex. There are a small handful who are genuine. But the problem is, people treat this site like a vending machine.

Attractive people sign on, find a profile, latch on, hook up and sign off. (General statement as an example)

Have I had my fair share of hook ups from here? Absolutely. Have I also met a lot of awesome people who I am thankful I am friends with here as well? Hell yeah.

Take this site with a grain of salt. You're not the first person to feel the way you do.
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 50
Posted: 4/6/2016 1:31:39 PM
Sex sells, ever notice all the hookup sites plastered as ads on this site? More money for the owners. First the Canadian guy, now match.com.
is someone seeking sex necessarily "not genuine". ?
Could be if they lie about that.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Dating site or hookups only?